Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Titan] Deus ex machina, An important announcement
OPR8OR
post Feb 11 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,726

Brothers

A week or two ago I received my 1st Warhound Titan... Ive been a bit lax in delivering this joyous news to my brethren as I've have been a little preoccupied (hookers and coke, and spending the rest of my time frivolously)

So to the idea... It's an ambitious one... So well see how we go. I want to build a Titan apoc formation that's in the Badab war books (I think) it consists of 4 Warhounds and 2 Reaver Titans... Yep, I said it!

It'd rule to play a 6k pt game of apoc with 6 minis....

So to start with I've gotten one Warhound as a "test mini" to get the construction and pose right and obviously the color scheme to my liking. I then plan to get the other 3 and once they're done get the two Reavers.

It's a big job, with many hurdles along the way. So it remains to be seen if it happens or if it does if it bankrupts me. Anyways, here are a few pics of the Warhound. It's got the plasma blast gun and the mega bolter for fcuking cnuts sh!t up. I plan in one more with this combo and the other two to have the flamed weapon and the D weapon.

I won't be painting this straight away as I still have a few items for my Carcharadons to finish, but I'll be hitting up this project as soon as the sharks are done.

I am very excited about this project tho as the models are truly amazing pieces. My head is so full of ideas and I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about it actually.

I also plan on doing some Skitarri to dwell at the the God machines feet just to stop maurading enemy infantry throwing a melta bomb or something on one of the titans feet. I'll be using the DKoK engineer models as the base for my Skitarri. With a few mods. Anyways, here are a few pics... Nothing too exciting or anything that I'd say most of you haven't seen before.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Fanx for looking

C+C welcome

John

This post has been edited by OPR8OR: Jun 12 2012, 11:40 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
infermofperpus
post Feb 11 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,075

Good luck with it mate. I've never had the balls to do a titan yet. And you want to do 6?! biggrin.gif

--------------------
*Enjoy the Sauce!* - Orz\
+Quote Post
BoBo
post Feb 11 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #3

Republic of BoBostan

Member No.: 3,020

Wow. 6 titans? There's dedication in that. Looking forward to seeing you pull it off.
Sure you don't want to make a Warlord for number 7?

--------------------
The Artist Formerly Known As

"The most consistently insane looking person I've ever seen" - Chaplain Fortis

Promethean Forge
+Quote Post
Lextheimpaler
post Feb 11 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #4

Coolbreeze

Member No.: 7,863

MOTHER OF GOD

--------------------
"SIR I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL"

"NO SIR I DO NOT BITE MY THUMB AT YOU, THOUGH I DO BITE MY THUMB SIR"

"Conan What is best in life??" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women"

" IM FIZZZZIIIIINNNN BRUTHA"

QUOTE(J.D.Entropy @ Aug 9 2012, 09:13 PM)

If they ask, you must be prepared to answer the riddle of steel, laugh at their 4 winds and show them what is best in life.

Related question: where can I buy stygian black lotus?

QUOTE(TheOriginalHavoc @ Oct 26 2012, 11:41 AM)

Argo Affleck is the GBU43/B to Phantoms BLU-8/B.

Not that I've actually seen it, so he may actually be closer to Sum of all Fears 'Dirty Bomb'
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Feb 11 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #5

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Well that's ambitious.

Look forward to following this.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
Comrade
post Feb 11 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,176

Brilliant idea! What colour schemes are you looking at?

--------------------
WAU's own capitalist-hating dirty Commie rat!

+Quote Post
TheOriginalHavoc
post Feb 11 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,733

As your modeling diaries are normally outstanding from start to finish, even pics of Warhound pieces is exciting biggrin.gif.

Plus, the organization you put into each piece is always inspirational wink.gif

Can't wait for the Hookers and Blow to get out of the way of your work (you can send them here if you want)

--------------------
Wut?
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Feb 12 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #8

WIP

So I got a spot of inspiration this morning and hit up the old titan... Started cleaning it up... its a massive job... i havent counted the bits, but its a fcukn shi!t lot.

Anyways, I also got some 2mm piano wire to use to assemble this bad boy cos I want a pretty dynamic pose... you'll see in a sec... dont really know how im gunna cut this sh!t, dont fink to old GW side cutters are really up to the job

IPB Image

Anyways, I just want to make a comment about resin... this sh!t is bad news. the dust will fcuk yo sh!t up for real if you inhale it. My grandfather was a motor mechanic and he died of emphysema from inhaling break dust from when they machined break rotors in his shop. back in the day breaks had asbestos in them and yeah... not a good way to go at all peeps. They just didnt know, and that sucked... just like we dont know too much about resin yet either. im not saying that resin has asbestos in it, but it has other seriously fcuked up sh!t in it. so be careful when you are sanding or cutting this stuff. I use a dust mask rated for this stuff and also have a small vacuum in my painting room that I use while im working with this stuff to keep away the badness from me. If im filing it, its done in water. check it

IPB Image

that little black pipe thats in my hands is the vacuum hose. its on whenever im using the dremel to move resin flash or whatever
IPB Image

this is the said vacuum... i got it from godfreys or whatever for fitty bucks... if you EVER work with this stuff take lots of precautions.

IPB Image

ok... enough of the rant...

so i want to get the pose of this titan running. i've researched several pics of ostriches running to get the idea right. at this stage all i really want to do is get the pose right. im doing this with just small gage brass rod and a pencil to mark positions of where stuff goes...

ok, the pics

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

ok, thats me for the day... plus if i continue to work on this today, I'll end up throwing it out the window... i've hit my 1st hurdle... maybe 4 isnt such a good idea....

c+C welcome
+Quote Post
Lextheimpaler
post Feb 12 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #9

Coolbreeze

Looks like you have an awesome man cave, Like a BOSS. Interesting pose

--------------------

"Conan What is best in life??" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women"

If they ask, you must be prepared to answer the riddle of steel, laugh at their 4 winds and show them what is best in life.

Not that I've actually seen it, so he may actually be closer to Sum of all Fears 'Dirty Bomb'
+Quote Post
Blind Pig
post Feb 12 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #10

The Cook

Member No.: 4,465

Looks really good. I wouldn't have the patience to do six of them....

Got a bit of mould slip here:
IPB Image

--------------------
See our new LAZOR!!!! cut scenery webstore at http://www.bplaser.com

The Blind Pig
Usually the First and Third Saturday of each month. March to mid-December 9:30am to 4:30pm
Finnish Hall 62 Newnham Road Mount Gravatt Brisbane QLD

And I too forgot to log off at work. The things we get up to when we're supposed to be gainfully employed, huh? - Dr D
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Feb 12 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Blind Pig @ Feb 12 2012, 01:16 PM) *

Looks really good. I wouldn't have the patience to do six of them....

Got a bit of mould slip here:
IPB Image

The thing is covered in that sh!t... I keep missing stuff and then going back... Repeat. I haven't even started on the upper half yet. If I do end up doing more, I'll not be doing poses that require so much time to get right. A warhound just standing there isn't brain surgery... One running flat chat is...

Fanx for the luv Bec
+Quote Post
Rargh
post Feb 12 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #12

Postmaster Troll Mod
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 5

QUOTE(OPR8OR @ Feb 12 2012, 01:58 PM) *

They just didnt know, and that sucked... just like we dont know too much about resin yet either. im not saying that resin has asbestos in it, but it has other seriously fcuked up sh!t in it. so be careful when you are sanding or cutting this stuff. I use a dust mask rated for this stuff and also have a small vacuum in my painting room that I use while im working with this stuff to keep away the badness from me. If im filing it, its done in water. check it

We Do know about resin.

Two things:

1. Inhaling any fine dust is BAD for your lungs. The finer it is the harder it is to cough back up. Resin dust is also prone to having jagged edges and thus can (in some circumstances) cause bleeding as well.

2. Resins are created/set through chemical reactions. In some cases it can continue to give off gases well after it has set. These are generally VERY bad.

If you are sanding, either do it under water or wear a mask.

R
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Feb 12 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Rargh @ Feb 12 2012, 01:34 PM) *

We Do know about resin.

Two things:

1. Inhaling any fine dust is BAD for your lungs. The finer it is the harder it is to cough back up. Resin dust is also prone to having jagged edges and thus can (in some circumstances) cause bleeding as well.

2. Resins are created/set through chemical reactions. In some cases it can continue to give off gases well after it has set. These are generally VERY bad.

If you are sanding, either do it under water or wear a mask.

R

lol....
+Quote Post
Bomma
post Feb 12 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,102

Hope you havent turfed it out yet lol.. seems a massive job. Looking forward to more posts.

B.
+Quote Post
Mousemuffins
post Feb 12 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #15

Braaaaaiiinnnnss

Member No.: 2,278

Most important thing about a realistic running pose that most folks f*ck up is that you have to have the centre of gravity over the foot on the ground when viewed from the front.

Privateer press are particularly bad at this. Lifting a leg does not a running pose make.

This post has been edited by Mousemuffins: Feb 12 2012, 03:20 PM
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Feb 12 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Mousemuffins @ Feb 12 2012, 03:19 PM) *

Most important thing about a realistic running pose that most folks f*ck up is that you have to have the centre of gravity over the foot on the ground when viewed from the front.

Privateer press are particularly bad at this. Lifting a leg does not a running pose make.

Fanx yoda
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Feb 13 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #17

Peeps... got back onto working on the legs yesterday afternoon and more today... I'm getting a lot of the technical issues sorted out with the assembly of this model. It'll make future assemblies a lot easier... Ok, to the pics...

this is the foot with all of the knuckles attached. I've use a 2 part epoxy glue to assemble this model. I use this method as the epoxy glues have far stronger bonds and also are a lot less brittle compared to super glue. The brass rod goes thru the knuckle and into the foot. I am a little pre occupied with ensuring that this model is very strong, particularly in the legs, and even more so in the right leg as it will be supporting a lot of weigh in that one leg and will be subject to a lot of torque flex caused by the weight of the rest of the model.
IPB Image

IPB Image

the left and right foot with the second lot of knuckles attached. the left foot is the one that will be off the ground
IPB Image

fully assembled.
IPB Image

now both feet with the lower leg attached.
IPB Image

this is the left hip joint. so that the hip has better mechanical rigidity I have drilled 2mm holes at random places in the ball and the socket of the hip. this will allow the epoxy glue to get into the holes and key into it.
IPB Image
IPB Image

lots of epoxy resin has been placed in the hip joint. a key area where there will be lots of stress
IPB Image

this is the right foot ankle joint. again a key stress point. in addition to keying in the ball and socket as shown in the hip, i am placing 1mm brass rod pins thru the anchor points where the hydraulic pistons attach. again, just to give the ankle joint increased strength. there will be an enormous amour of torque in this spot.
IPB Image

both hip connectors in place. off set to further accentuate the running pose i've chosen
IPB Image

more to follow
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Feb 13 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #18

a test fit of the whole leg that will be attached to the ground
IPB Image

to make sure the bond is as strong as possible, i used a cramp while with resin was setting
IPB Image

more keying where the upper leg meets the hip... again, a key stress point.
IPB Image

using the cramp again to ensure the bond is a strong as it possibly could be
IPB Image

both legs now attached
IPB Image

IPB Image

finished
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Im quite pleased with the results. its turned out a lot better than my minds eye had pictured. im glad i took the time to test fit everything 1st. and looked at pictures of ostriches running. i doubt if the result would have been as good had I not.

next im going to work on the upper torso of the mini (funny term) this will be assembled after i've painted the interior. im doing it this was, as assembling it 1st then painting it would produce a far inferior result.

c+c welcome
+Quote Post
drone
post Feb 13 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #19

Tetris King

Member No.: 8,458

Dam that'd be a horrifing sight to see - one of those bad boys running at you.

--------------------
Armies thus far:

Ulthwe' Eldar
Iron Warriors CSM
Thousand Sons CSM - Modeling Diary Found Here
Howling Griffons - Modeling Diary Found Here
Leopard Print Nids - Modeling Diary Found Here

BFG - Eldar

40K - More fun than riding ponies.
+Quote Post
Lextheimpaler
post Feb 13 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #20

Coolbreeze

Beautiful

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2019 - 06:44 AM