Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Admonitions of a Suss Sufferer: Mark 2, all about Mark 3
Angry_Norway
post Jan 16 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #281

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,012

Sweet slammage!

So the thing about mini-single list tourney's is it tells you with the subtlety of US election campaigns which list is generalist and which one needs to dodge like a bastard. Swans and Ret abound, so dwarf man it is (Or gnome, which for some reason is the current local parlance for the stunties).

Gorten1 - 2x Driller, 2x Blaster, 2x Gunner, Wrongeye w/Snapjaw, Rorsh w/Brine, Tinker, Ragman, Aiyanna + Holt, 2x Eliminators, Acosta
Objective: Bunker

Round 1 is into Galicious with Power of Dhunia (Worth noting that of the 8 players/lists, 5 of them had Theme lists. Portentous perhaps? I dislike the perfectly natural attitude players have of panning for theme force gold).

Madrak 3 (Power of Dhunia) - Glacier King, Mountain King, Axer, Horgle w/Pyre and Slag, 2x Sorcerer, Janissa, Whelps

Ye old Outlast, relevant terrain is a trench, some water and a pair of walls, there's a hill and forest but they won't feature.

I set up for the lessers, Kayazy and Acosta to threaten the left zone while the Dwarf jacks went to the right zone.
Gargs go central with Madrak in between, Horgle goes to the right with his battlegroup.

IPB Image
Merc 1:Everything runs up, Solid Ground/Strength of Granite go up.
Acosta/Eliminators go up front and centre.

IPB Image
Troll 1: Madrak Rushes both Gargs, pops stone Aura and moves up. Both Gargs runs full pelt forward, everything else in the list is behind them somewhere.

IPB Image
Merc 2: The Gargs have come far more forward than I expected, enough for me to try to go all in with the left Lessers. If it works my attrition lead is insurmountable, if it doesn't then I can use whatever solos survive to contest the left zone, feat to get the Drillers up and claim the right zone.

I have to unpack some models, so don't get ideal activations. Sadly Aiyanna is out of Kiss range.
Acosta charges in to get out of the way, does some nice opening damage.
Red Eliminator Unit gets out of the way, stab a few of the Whelps that have spawned.
This lets Ragman move up and Deathfield a spot that Snapjaw can reach as he charges in, maxes Fury to get most of the work done.
Green Eliminators then go, clear out the whelp blocking Brines charge location.
Brine gets smoked forward, pops Animus, charges and finishes the Mountain King off with his opening initial, Trolls concede.

At first I thought the concession was a bit quick, ultimatey though when sked what the Troll do next I didn't have an answer. Gorten will Bunker up, using his wall and the one already on the board to create a Gargossal no go zone, at best the Lessers die but then I feat and arrange the death of Horgle and the Glacier King and that's that.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 16 2017, 09:32 PM
Post #282

Round 2 of Slammage, that list I've never played before:
Gorten1 - 2x Driller, 2x Blaster, 2x Gunner, Wrongeye w/Snapjaw, Rorsh w/Brine, Tinker, Ragman, Aiyanna + Holt, 2x Eliminators, Acosta

Per the motif of the week, it's into a theme!
Amon1 (Creator's Mine) - Reckoner, Castigator, Crusader, Templar, Redeemer, 2x Dervish, 2x Devout, 2x min Choir, 2x Vassal of Menoth, triple wracks
Objective: Stockpile

It's Extraction, hemmed in on the sides by an obstruction/forest with a cloud in the centre.
Aside from that the far side gets a hill, other gets a bonus trench and a forest.

I lose the roll, pick the side less hassled by the Obstruction/forest. Has a bonus trench, but its usability isn't amazing.

IPB Image
Round 1: Green blobs are the forest, brown deal is the hill.

The Menites go forward with a leaning toward the left, Heavies sit around the hill with the Templar getting Fortify. Redeemer/Dervish go on the left side of the army block, remaining Dervish/Devout on the right.

I've got the crocs on the far left, that Obstruction looking like a nice spot to hide Wrongeye. Fort Gorten goes centre, the non-spread out nature of the Amonlist means a direct to Ad-Raza will produce the best feat for me. Ninja Pig and Ragman go far right, flag clearing/scoring duty.

IPB Image
Menoth 2: Amon goes on the hill, in base with the Fortified Templar to stop his death to my feat. Reckoner pops up with them, does a shot into a Gunner that does a chunk of damage. The Redeemer tries to get in on the action, Solid Ground does its job as he lands a single hit that does a light scratch.
Castigator goes to the left flag with Enliven up, Crusader surprises me by running up and jamming the Gnome's fort.
One Dervish gets Enliven and goes to contest the right flag.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Fair amount of opposing list to chew through, thankfully the armour buff is a single model, so the plan is to just kill what I've been presented with and push the early scoring game. Stockpile means I have to put something into melee with the opposing objective, likely that'll end up as Brine due to threat range reasons.
The right side Bunnies get out of the way, allowing the fully loaded Strength of Granite Driller to go in and pop the Crusader, though it only managed it to the box which was less than pleasing.
Kayazy run around the Castigator, keeping out of Devout Defensive Strike range and countering Enliven.
The death of the Crusader lets Gorten walk up on his little legs to the max, feats on all the opposing jacks bar the Redeemer, pushes them all back, though the back field stops them going to far. Per the plan they do get out of the way of contesting, so that's good.
Aiyanna walks up my backfield, puts Harm on the Castigator.
Fort Gorten reestablishes itself, leaving room for Snapjaw to charge the Castigator and kill it, with room to cast Submerge. Puts the Strength of Granite Driller to shame.
Wrongeye goes up behind, puts up Star Crossed and Submerges.
Acosta runs to the spot the Castigator was, under Star Crossed.

On the right, the other Driller runs up to threaten the opposing Objective, enjoying the brief moment under the sun where a mechanical toilet with a power drill attached out threats machinery blessed by a god.
Ninja Pigs go to the right flag and chill.
Ragman should be running to the left to make Dark Field relevant, instead he chills in the trench due to being silly.

I go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Menoth 3: Amon throws up Mobility, chills behind some jacks.
Reckoner/Devout both stumble to the left flag, boost their two hits and manage to pop and Eliminator and Acosta. Alas.
Redeemer does.....something? I genuinely don't recall.
A Dervish walks around the left of the Obstruction, on a clear Handbag making endeavor.
The Devout on the right runs to contest the right flag, receives Enliven as does the Reckoner.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 16 2017, 09:36 PM
Post #283

IPB Image
Merc 3: I've had my turn of glory, now to solidly attrition it without screwing it up. Plan is to pop the Reckoner/Objective, if I keep the Piggies, Gorten and a Driller going for my next turn think I'm going to go well.
Bunnies move around, killing some Choir and a Vassal Mechanik.
Eliminators go,kill some choir, one engages Amon while the other foolishly goes behind the Reckoner to stop Enliven, when I already had a better plan for that.

Realising to late I'd conflated two plan, I now live in fear of a Synergied Dervish getting into Gorten, so he runs backward and has miscellaneous pieces run in the way.

One Gunner that got an extra focus slams the Reckoner, knocks him, a Devout and the poorly placed Eliminator down.
This lets Aiyanna Harm, Snapjaw then charges up eats the Reckoner, I max him for a bonus attack on the Devout. Mobility means I don't think there's a great spot for Wrongeye to go, so he charges and kills the Devout, then gets a couple scratches on the Redeemer.

Forward Driller charges the Objective, kills it without issue.

Rorsh pops Smoke, lets Brine get into the back of the Enlivened Devout on the right and throw it out of the way.

Mercs go to 4 CP, now to be ninja Dervished!

IPB Image
Menoth 4: To my relief the Molik Dervish doesn't swing in, instead the Attrition play happens.
Redeemer punches and kills Wrongeye without to much issue, so Crocs go away.
Templar eats the Driller, centre Dervish slaps down a Spray Bunny.
Far left Dervish runs around the Obstruction.
Remaining Devout gets back to contest the right flag.

IPB Image
Merc 4: It's kill a devout to win time, Rorsh drops smoke, chills on the flag. Brine goes around the back of the Devout, crits knockdowns the first attack then easily bins it with a couple focus to spare.

Had that failed, the backup plan depended on damage done to the Devout, if no movement then all the Gunners and a Molten Metal happens, if that isn't an option then a spray Bunny slams the right Dervish into the Templar, Gun shots one of the Lights and the Driller/Gorten move to threaten anything approaching the right flag.

IPB Image
Me on the left, that's an alright clock but not ideal.

Nice to have a good fight, last few games have been way to one sided. Eliminators definitely under utilised in later turns and Ragman was wasted, but otherwise happy with.

I keep contemplating changing a Blaster to a Gunner, feels like a recipe for infantry mauling though.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 21 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #284

Jolty time, into the latest Errata hotness of "I'm so sorry Xekaar".

In a completely new request, Thexus was declined in place of the Gnome. Very well.

In fairness, Eyeless sight does somewhat giggle at
Morghoul2 - Molik Karn, Archidon, Gladiator, Cyclops Shaman, Marketh, Brigands + UA, Slingers, Blood Runners, Paingivers
(GO ON! BLACK OIL ME!)

Recon, most important piece of terrain is the forest I threw in the middle of the table/zone as part of that theoretical anti-gunline thing people theorise about.

I won the roll, normally I'd take second in Recon for the scoring however with the new unknown quantity of the Easterners I lazed it up.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Skorne take the side with a trench and hill, lumping me with a wall, some water and the awkward side of a forest on the left flag.
Crocs went to the right to handle the water with one lot of Eliminators, Gorten blob went central, Brine on the left with another lot of Eliminators, though not in the super outflank position they sometimes take.

Skorne counter deploy is Pigs on the left, Preying Brine, then beasts, Marketh, Paingivers, Morghoul centre with Slingers Advance Deployed on the right side hill.

These matchups seem fine to me, the Slingers are positioned to threaten shots into my jacks but that ought to be manageable. My plan was to push the centre zone,
with a back up of running Gorten to the right flag if the Achidon/Molik use their long threat to make the zone untenable.
Crocs Submerge and go up on the right, his Eliminators go 11 and a bit from the Slingers on the right.
The Gorten block is even more blocky than normal, compounded by the wall and water.
Other pair of Eliminators go up on the left, with the expectation that they'll pop Brigands.
The Pigs run to behind the wall, they are their primarily for the late game close out so being Preyed is annoying but not the worst thing. Plus I planned on capping the Warlord ASAP.

IPB Image
Skorne 1: Bloodrunners are so stealthy they can even avoid deployment. They get chucked down in front of the left unit of Eliminators, who I shuffle back to be out of their threat range.

Everything runs forward, pair of Blood Runners and a pair of Slingers run up and engage Eliminators for reasons (I can only assume blindness caused by the orgasmic joy of the faction being fixed).
Marketh chills out in the middle of the Piggies.
Most importantly, the Archidon and Molik go into the zone. Archidon gets the weird new upkeep to be incorporeal spell.

IPB Image
Merc 2: When the Archidon first moved up into the zone I was mildly annoyed. it'll be able to move to my end of the zone, kill a model, Sprint backward, whilst my means of killing it are more strenuous than I'd like. I was thinking that the go was to contest with Acosta behind a wall under Star Crossed, so the Archy would hopefully take the bait and kill itself.
Then Molik moved into the zone, and the plan became to feat on the top of 2 which I've not done in some time and gain an attrition lead that feels insurmountable.

I move up Spray Bunnies first to pops some Slingers and Bloodrunners to clear up the drag lines.
One Gunner moves out to the left and kills Marketh.
Eliminators both clear out infantry that is nearby to them.

Alpha plan after some pre-measuring, Gorten walks to the right of my objective, drags in the Archidon, Molik, pings the Slinger Unit Leader and drags another one into Snapjaw. Gorten also shoots Molik for some damage.
Aiyanna Harms the Archidon, then Holt and Rorsh shoot up the Archidon quite well.
Ragman stays hovering behind Jacks, puts up Deathfield.
Acosta charges the Archidon, finishes it off with the charge attack.
I've then left Molik engaged with him, decides sod it and move up the remaining Gunner to ping Molik.
So one dead Acosta later, we go to the Crocs.
Wrongeye Submerges, kills the blocking Slinger on Snapjaw. I don't Star Crossed, I'm not sure why.
Snapjaw charges Molik, I push through some unfortunate damage rolls to get the kill and Submerge. Sweet frenzy incoming should he somehow survive.

Brine chills out the back.

IPB Image
Skorne 2: I thought my attrition plan was going excellently. So to did Saul of Tarsus, who opted for some last ditch assassination.
I'd been foolish in my placement, leaving a massive gap that I could easily have covered with the Spray Bunny. Morghoul proves to be just outside of get in and stab to death range.

Instead Morghoul comes up, Blinds most of my army with feat, mortalities Gorten, Flesh Hooks him for a bit.
Three Slingers, the Shaman and two Farrow get shots, Gorten ends up Corroded, focus drained and with 11 health remaining.

Morghoul is flapping in the wind and is easily killable by me, so we call it for the sake of an opponent switch and another game.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 22 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #285

It's a return of some Lincolnage, scenario is the Pit and I'm lazy so Dwarf it is.

Against my personal favourite of the Gearheads:
Axis1 (Servitor dooooooooom Theme) - Cipher, 2x Inverter, 2x Shield Guard Floaty Heavy, 2x Diffuser, 3x Galvaniser, Corrolary, a load of Servitors (Like.....18 or something? mix of types)

Table got mainly hills, some walls and two forest templates hampering one side.

I lose the roll and get given second, I take the side without forests as I continue to suffer the pathfinder lack (My armies just don't like the trees. Or water. Or pile of rubbish. Or low clearance ceilings.).

IPB Image
CoC 1: Of the three blobs around the Gearheads, centre one is a hill, other two are forests.
Axis and Heavies of substance go up the guts, lights in front. Shield Guard Heavies take a flank each, Servitors mixed throughout.
Onslaught is up.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Gorten and Bunnies wall up behind the flag. I put up Solid Ground, but decided against Strength of Granite, concerned about an assassination angle I might not be seeing.
Basic intent is to draw out Axis' feat while scoring first, Kayazy set to run in and be one turn contesters. Ninja Pig goes far right. Crocs Submerge.

It's all about how the feats play out, I'm wary of losing too much and how limited my retaliation might be, as fundamentally we both have attrition plays with scenario slow burn, assassination not likely to be anything but a late game closer.

IPB Image
CoC 2: Cipher throws out a flare shot and some rough terrain that goes right in front of the Drillers. Quite the nuisance.
Servitors run up either side, engaging Spray Bunnies. Galvanisers run up to my side of the zone, other Heavies hang at the top of the zone.

IPB Image
Merc 2: That sodding rough terrain. Without it I have an excellent attrition play that hits hard enough even with Axis getting to keep his feat, as the Drillers and Snapjaw kill at minimum the Cipher and Inverter, likely the second Donginator as well. To sleep, perchance to dream it would seem.

Instead its the other fall back, hold my feat to be aggravating. The Servitor mass is going to be quite irritating, as they are so easily disposable to stop the score.

First things first, a red Eliminator runs into an excellent spot, stopping the Inverters from Counter Charging to unfortunate spots. I then have an attack of the dumb, being so pleased with this positioning that I didn't move the other one. Sigh.

Spray Bunnies happily take free strikes to clear off Servitors.
One Gunner then slams the left Shield Guard Bot, knocking him back a mighty half inch. I get super greedy with Gorten, throwing out double Molten Metal on him. I pretty much did that, moved to teh next activation and pondered if I'd just given the game away on an easy assassination.
Drillers kill the nearest Galvaniser, then Acosta and the remaining Gunner run to shield Gorten, Turbo Douche using some wall protection.

Other than that the Crocs fall back and activate their defence tech, the Pigs and Green Eliminators kill Servitors on the right.

I go to 1 CP.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 22 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #286

IPB Image
CoC 3: Axis moves into the zone and feats.
The Assassination ploy doesn't happen, so that was fortunate. Looking at it in hindsight, I think the potential play is allocate three to the left Shield Guard guy, Axis feats, Shield guy moves up and kill the Gunner shielding Gorten, clearing a path for an Inverter to go into zero camp Gorten, copping a meaningless freestrike from Acosta on the way (Not meaningless really, but solvable).

Instead, attrition happens. The Red Eliminators get killed by boosted attacks from Galvanisers, the Inverters come forward to kill Acosta, a Gunner and a Driller.
Shield Guard guy I slammed tries to kill the Gunner that got into him, rolls as disastrously as world politics to leave him alive on one movement box. Two Puncture Servitors try to finish it off and also miss.

Right most Shield Guard jack kills the engaging Green Eliminator, stays out of Brine range.

Convergence Dominate the centre zone, pull ahead as scores go to 2 vs1.

IPB Image
Merc 3: This would have all been fine, except I didn't account for Dominating the zone. Really didn't expect to give that away. I'm fortunate in that I can get work done as the outer edge of my stuff isn't affected by Axis feat.

Last remaining Elimiantor runs to stop the two Galvanizers on my side of the zone from Countercharging.
Gorten hangs around the flag, throws Strength of Granite on the remaining Driller.
Ragman Deathfield, Aiyanna Harms one Donginator.
Wrongeye goes into the Galvanizer impeding Snapjaw, with Death Field triggered off Snappy he easily kills it with a bought attack and Submerges.
Snappy and the Driller then pop an Inverter each, though the Drilly doesn't toe the zone like it should and Snappy enters into frenzy territory by Submerging.
The Spray Bunnies and Tinker shield Gorten, the Pigs run way across in case I lost the Driller and Snappy.

Scores equal at 2 each.

This was one of those turns wherein I felt the throw errata painfully, as it would have been much nicer to throw Gorten up, feat, walk back to the top edge of the flag. Oh well.

IPB Image
Coc 4: Axis trots back to his flag and the scenario clock starts churning.
The Cipher lacks threat range, so moves up and flares the Driller and rough terrains Brine.
One Galvaniser kills the last Eliminator. If Snapjaw dies that's probably it for me to a scenario loss.
Diffuser hits the Driller.

The left Shield Guard jack charges the Driller, does all the other attacks into Snapjaw, then another Galvanizer goes into Snappy. The damage rolls are quite miserable and the Croc lives with plenty of health.

The right Shield smuck (Conservator. There, I remembered their actual name once.) hangs with Axis as the Servitors continue to swarm around, do bit work or acting homeless.

CoC lead at 3v2.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Alright, I'm well ahead on clock, but I've been traumatized by the local Reds compressing final turns that I want to push it enough to win out on scenario anyway. I need to kill the heavies in the centre, contest the opposing flag and zone and it should work out, there doesn't appear to be elements of a last ditch assassination in the Axis list so not worried about that (Suck it Beat Back, got Sturdy up in this joint).

Snappy doesn't frenzy, so that's a boost.
Ragman walks across and Death Fields, Aiyanna Harms the Cipher while Holt pings Servitors.

Snappy kills the Shield Guard Guy and the forward Galvanizer, freeing up a lane for the Driller to charge and bin the Cipher. Wrongeye charges up and kills another Galvaniser and Servitor.

One Spray Bunny kills the Servitors on the left, while the other slams the Diffuser back and toes the zone.

Ninja Pigs pop smoke to get out of the rough terrain, Brine then runs up to contest the CoC flag. Axis counter charges, rolls miserably on damage and beats him back.

Only thing left in the zone is the Corraly, have a go at killing the Corrolary with some bit attacks, Gorten does a good smack with his Gun but that's that.

Go to 3 all.

At the end of that Abonon concedes, with 60 seconds to go seemed fair enough. With the power of hindsight I think the Convergence play, being in threat range dependent, is to slam the spray bunny away with the Corralary, use the Diffuser for the threat range, send the Shield Guard jack into teh Driller then finish it off and kill Wrongeye with Axis, Dominate to 5.

Super greedy with my feat. I needed to stop the zone score, once that happened it meant it was time to find a place to feat even though it wouldn't be amazing.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 25 2017, 01:32 AM
Post #287

Well, Cancon approacheth, liketh the resteth of my meta-eth, I haven't bothered to work out a third list for the Iron Gauntlet. Ergo I've picked the laziest list I could for a last minute practice bout.

Bart 1(Kingmaker) - 2x Galleon, Rangers, Boomhowlers (Min), Orin, Meg
Objective: Armory (Astutely observed by Edhov as being the right choice)

Playing into the stoic man of Earth, who was willing to put up with the silliness of this finely honed competitive "choice". It's the Menoth Sleep hit:
Testament - Guardian, Blood of Martyrs, Choir, Flame bringers, Daughters (Min), Errants, Zealots + UA, 2x Allegiant of the Order of the FOOT, Wracks x2

Scenario is Entrenched, we've got some water, a hill, pair of forests, an outlying obstruction and some walls placed deep in one side.
I win the roll and pick first, that's been a while. Urgent need in this list to get into position to contest things. Boomies Ambush, because it makes them worth it. Like Maybelline.
Menites take the side with a forest and hill, with irrelevant walls. I get a forest, some water and an obstruction placed out of the way that could be awful for me scoring on the friendly zone.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Galleon assigned to each zone, rangers in the guts. The left Galleon faces off against Daughters and Flame Bringers, Errants are centre, Zealots are on the right.
The Galleons run forward, Rangers spread out. Orin goes behind the left Galleon, intent being to Lightning the Daughters via the Galleon, Meg goes behind the right one.
Bart moves up, puts Hot Shot on the right Galleon and tries a Broadsides, hoping to fang out three Daughters out of soul collection range on the left and the Kicky Monk on the right. I don't get the highly unlikely scatters, so oh well.

See, optimism is a trap.

IPB Image
Menoth 1: Flame Bringers get Cloak of Ash and run up the left, as do the Daughters, though one hides behind the Menite objective.
Errants go up the guts, Zealots move up next to the Menite forest on the right flank.
Both Kicky Monks Shifting Sands stance, I assume as punishment for my real world sins.
I think this was the point that we realise the Castigator is meant to be a Guardian, so instead the Punch jack becomes a proxy. Said Guardian gets Hallowed Avenger and moves up between the Errants and Zealots, Blood of Martyrs goes up on the hill.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Plan is to wipe out the Daughters with the left Galleon, ping the Guardian with the right Colossal and have Bart Feat to buy the time this list needs.

The Right Galleon has Hot Shot, which for hot swapping purposes dictates that it has to fire first.
It also has magic weapons from the objective, so trundles up, staying with four to ensure it can try this again next turn if that's the right move (Assuming Objective survives, seems unlikely).
Trundles up to Harpoon range of the Galleon, dragging it an killing it seems unfeasible with the Errants in front, so it's just about chisseling a bunch of it. I mostly luck out, managing to exactly take out its right arm which is the big stabby spear, I do miss a shot sadly that drifts and blows up two Errants (Souls away!).
The Rangers move around, most go into the forest to proc Prowl. One does a shot that kills an Errant.

Bart pops for what I expect to be the last time in the game, left Gall free shot does nought, right one does another four points or so to the Guardian to an armoured up column. hot swaps Hot Shot to the left Galleon, goes up behind the Forest and pops feat.

Left Galleon trundles up to get a Daughter in base to base for lightning purposes. I line up down the centre of the Daughters, sadly only get one shot on the right so don't land the drift on the back up Daughter behind the objective, so the plan has gone awry.
The other shots kill three of the Daughters and two of the cav, another two of the flanky lady unit is then zotted by Orin Lightning (Who also does a point to the Galleon. Dammit Old man!).
Meg sits in repair range of the right Galleon, as I expect it might get lambasted with fanatic's grenades (Though I guess they are also the nearest thing to Molotov throwing mobs in the setting?).

IPB Image
Menoth 2: My feat mostly Stymies things thankfully, given the plan didn't work out.
The Flame Bringers go out waaaaaay left, Errants mostly jostle around, one get s a lucky shot on a forward Ranger and pops him. The Guardian hides in the forest, Testament hides behind and returns three of the Errants back into play.
Zealots walk forward, a few get shots on the right Galleon, do a couple points.

No scores for either side.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 25 2017, 01:38 AM
Post #288

Merc 3: Aha! Now I am the one to luxuriate in the forgotten Boomhowler Ambush!
They Spawn on the left, ready to try to wipe out the cav of super annoyance that'll swing in and kill Bart.

Blood of Martyrs looks to be draggable (More on that later), so I load up the left Galleon and plan to achieve little with the right Galleon.
Left Galleon trundles up, rolls minimal shots. Sadness. One AoE shoots a Choir on the hill, which is enough to wing the last Daughter and finish it off before the unit respawns. Left AoE manages to pop one of the Flame Bringers, so that mathematically unlikely. I then drag in Blood of Martyrs and easily kill it, the initial Harpoon and free melee attack putting it down to 10ish boxes, get a final attack on the Objective that puts it on 1 hot box.

The Boomhowlers then go, manage to kill the final two cav.
There's a Kicky Monk toeing the zone next to the left Galleon, so Orin lightnings him off the Colossal and boosts the damage. Also kills a Ranger, but oh well. The Monk toughs, as is the way.

On the right Meg repairs what damage the Galleon had taken, he shoots the Guardian and takes out its Cortex.

At some point in the next Menite turn I realise that we both completely forgot Passage on Blood of Martyrs. That entire plan was awful. Doh.

IPB Image
Menoth 3: Zealots Fire Bomb the right Galleon, most of the Errants charge in as well, aside from two that contest the Menite zone.
Testament hangs in the same woods, pops feat to get the right Kicky monk into Dirty Meg, who survives via tough as Iron Sentinel proves to actually be relevant.
Kicky Monk on the left moves up in a spot that threatens Bart, puts up Stance of lameness as you do.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Plan is to clear the top zone and pop all the Choir.
Load up the top Hot Shot Galleon again, as he'll need the boosts to hit for the guy behind the wall.
Rangers run around, two go to partially block the potential assassin monk, one trots up to get the Choir in Mark for Target Range, another chargers and manages to bin one of the Errants in the Menite zone.

Left Galleon moves across in the zone, lines up on the Choir, rolls minimum shots and thus the plan has crumbled.
Settles for killing the focusless Wrack, Harpooning down the remaining contesting Errant then shoots down three of the Exemplars on the other Galleon.
Boomhowlers kill the Objective, I forget for the second time to do a howl with them (IT'S IN THEIR NAME, HOW AM I SO BAD AT THIS?!).

Going with the adhoc kill all the Errants plan, the right Galleon turns a little and does a Sweep. I get undeservedly lucky, hitting all the Errants and wiping out the unit. Sweetness.
Meg repairs again.

Orin charges the Kicky Monk near Bart, boosts, misses. Bart trundles up toward the far zone, hiding behind the forest and putting Batten up.

I go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Menoth 4: Zealots ping the right Galleon again, the Guardian also does some scratches. Testament decides to go on a diet from his glut of focus, gets up in my zone. makes a Zillion and four attacks to pop the Galleon contesting the zone, but alas lacked the focus to kill my Objective.

The Choir run and contest the left zone.

One Kicky Monk kills Dirty Meg, the other kills Orin, Sidesteps, kills a Ranger, sidesteps to engage Bart.

IPB Image
Merc 5: Have to push scenario on the top zone, very fortunate in that my Objective surviving puts well in the Control Point lead.
Remaining Galleon kills all the Choir and the Guardian.
Rangers trot around, looks like I forgot to activate the top one. Mad skills.
Bart casts Batten, is on zero camp and moves to the top zone. The Monk gets a freestrike and I have no focus camp, but ultimately I expect to take 3 or so damage which is fine.

I take 10 points and everything is awful.

Boomhowlers do Call of Defiance, three of them surround the Kicky Monk of doom, the others try to shield Bart now that I've made assassinations super live.

Mercs go to 4 CP.

IPB Image
Menoth 5: Zealots get out of the way, blow up the objective.
One Monk tries to clear off the Boomies surrounding the Killa Monk, tough makes up for my bumbling so a run on Bart doesn't eventuate.
Testament charges the Galleon, starts spamming Dust to Dust. First one knocks down a Boomie grunt, gets three fully boosted shots at Bart that gets me down to 3 boxes and I clock up the scenario win.

Fun game, rubbish list. Would be improved by miles with one Galleon replaced by other jacks, but soddit it I'mlazy and the matchup effects are mildly interesting.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 29 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #289

Cancon Masters! Let the many hurdles of rounds begin!

It's the Gorten half zoo/Thexus Heavy spam junk.

Round one is into the archaic wooden carter, running Cygnar. Initially I was pessimistic of getting to drop Thexus and get him out of the way as a tribute to that most mighty of evil demons, Divide and Conquer. Looking at the lists however, we had Stryker 2 or Kara Sloan. I can take that.

It's Outflank, ends up as Thexus vs Stryker, avoiding the poor innocent Hyper Aggressive moves.

Thexus with Critters. Sweet critters.

Stryker2 - 2x Ironclad, 2x Lancer, 3x Firefly, Runewood, 2x Sword Knights, Squire

I win the roll and pick first, I get lumped with the side where the terrain that proves to be semi relevant is a blob of water and wall at the base of the right zone.
The zones themselves have an obstruction in the left, a fog between and a trench in the right. The terrain on the Cygnar side has no relevance.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Deployments are relatively symmetrical as my stuff runs up, the extra Wrecker going left. Did a few focus grabbing stabs.

IPB Image
Cygnar 1: Runewood, a Lancer, a Firefly and one unit of Sword Knights walk into a bar. They realise this segue is #### and go to the left zone.
Stryker hangs back in the centre, Ironclads and the Lancer in front of him behind the super relevant cloud.
Leaving the other Knights, Lancer and Firefly to go into the right.
Overall a stronger leaning toward the right zone, where I have less Monstrosities andmore tot he point less Wreckers.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Plan is to start the Attrition, Swans have kept some good distances, so they threaten the zone if I contest and they are currently in death range without feat.

Feat it is!
Thexus feats, pushes Sword Knights apart, moves one Ironclad backward, moves the centre Lancer and Ironclad forward, arcs a TK through a Warden to move up the Ironclad and spin it around. Couple of other placements happen for relative distances.
Monstrosity goes in on the left. I neglected to get an Instigator up, so we end up neeing hard 8's to hit Sword Knights, focus burning lets him pop four at least.
Centre wise, the Subduer drags in the Lancer, does some attacks that don't do to great, so the centre Wrecker goes in and easily finishes it off.
Right side, Monstrosity goes in and kills the Ironclad as a Warden toes the zone.

Didn't feel amazing as Thexus feat turns go, though ultimately it was probably fine.

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: Stryker moves up and feats.
The left Monstrosity holds out surprisingly well as the remaining left side Knights and Lancer swarm it. The Firefly on that side shoots a Warden, flicking a lightning that puts an Eliminator on 1 box.
On the right the Ironclad and Knights kill off the Monstrosity over there.
Firefly on the right shoots a Sword Knight to arc and kill a Green Eliminator.
Feats moves has Stryker go back toward the hill, the left Monstrosity gets finished off and the right side Warden gets really messed up but keeps its brain. A few Knights jam up.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 29 2017, 12:04 AM
Post #290

IPB Image
Merc 3: So I'm down two Wreckers and have a mucked up Warden, pretty good for having absorbed Stryker2's feat. Attrition is looking pretty good, can use a Warden to kill the Ironclad and push hard on the left flank, start the scoring on that side.
However, I look to have a pretty good assassination run, so pull that trigger.
Thexus walks to the left, away from pointy death. I TK the Ironclad to a particular spot, mentally push around the Subduer and Warden. Psycho Surgery happens like every other round.

Agitator Instigates up the guts, goes into the cloud for giggles.

Warden slams the back of the Ironclad. This will knock down Stryker, put in three bought Warden attacks into him from the follow up, Subduer will then move on the side and drag Stryker in to hit him another four times, should easily be enough.

Well, except the Warden Snake Eyes the Slam and the plan is kerplunked.
The Warden tries to buy my love back by rolling alright on bought attacks against the Ironclad, alas for him (it?) he's already mentally been deleted from a hypothetical will in which I give my various possessions to particular models.

Left side, the Subduer goes into that sides Lancer and does poorly.
The Warden goes in and kill the Firefly and a Sword Knight, the Wrecker stays behind the Obstacle and kills a pair of Knights.

Right side, the mauled as hell Warden flails embarrassingly at Sword Knights, I think he managed to kill 2, unable to land the early boosted attacks to cut down their melee defence for being base to base.

IPB Image
Cygnar 3: Stryker throws out some Positive Charges, goes into the right zone in the trench.
Carrying on in that zone, the Ironclad and Sword Knights kill both the long term abused Warden and the slam fail loser version.
Lancer and Firefly move to block the open lane on Stryker, a gun shot at some point causes the Wrecker to Hyper Aggressive toward the right.
Runewood gives a charge boost to the remaining Knights on the left, they manage to kill an Eliminator and lightly scratch the Warden and Subduer.

Swans go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Ayep, attrition is looking bad. Clocks are on par, no super odds their. Assassination take 2!
Thexus moves up, casts four TK's to move aside the blocking Lancer and Firefly, get the Instigated Agitator up and push the Wrecker into range.
Wrecker then charges Stryker, I boost to hit both Melee attacks and boost the second damage, pump through his camp and manage to get the kill.

Ah, Thexus, you continue to be loads of effort. Now to Gorten the rest of it unless Trolls or Skorne come up (Walking around it looked like Khador for days and sod all Hordes, so didn't seem like a likely circumstance).
Anyway, round 1 of Masters done, not yet in the joyous funsies bracket.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 30 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #291

Round 2, return of Demmar, who squished me in a looooong game at MOAB. What could go wrong?

It's The Pit, with the opposing options being High Reclaimer and a theoretical Harbinger.
The image of a single Venger jousting Thexus vegetable body is enough in my brain, don't need to see Reclaimer do that on the table, so naturally the Dwarf it was. Sure enough High Reclaimer drops.

High Reclaimer1 - Templar, Scourge of Heresy, Vengers, Idrians + UA, Knights Exemplar + UA, Choir, Vassal of Menoth, Cleansers, the Book thing

I win the roll, my choice of table side was fairly obvious, dictated by a forest around one flag that would slow Gorten unacceptably. Aside from that, there's a trench on the zone, some water on the top left of said circle, while my flag has a wall behind it and there's a hill in my Advance Deploy line.

IPB Image
Round 1: The Menites clump up at the top of the zone, Idrians out the front (Prey put on a Spray Bunny), Vengers on the left edge, Knights Exemplar on the right, Jacks central.

I run the Pigs and one Eliminator unit waaaaaay right. Either they draw off some models, contest the opposing flag or go a long way around the forest to threaten Choir and related stuff.
Crocs are on the right edge of my brick,Submerged into the dirt per common sense (Where ever I stand is water! Cause magic!).
It's then a clump of the rest of the list, Gorten sitting behind a pair of Gunners and a wall to impede Venger murder. The Red Eliminators are out front as necessary sacrifices, Acosta hugs the butt of the Drillers hoping a Vengeance Trigger might give him a charge into something sweet (i.e a Jack or I probably don't care).
The Spray Bunnies hang behind stuff, in a nice example of the at times flawed nature of Prey as a benefit the victim of said ability goes behind the terrain wall, quite safe from dying anytime soon. No Prey cycle for you!

IPB Image
Menoth 2: Idrians get Hand of Fate, move up and easily kill the poor Red Eliminators. One gets in to contest my flag.
The Menoth bulk. if anything, moves more backwards than anything, contesting the top of the zone and spreading the Vengers back a bit.

IPB Image
Merc 2: That's a nice appendage in the corner that is.
Acosta's Vengeance isn't going to achieve anything alas, so he futzes around with it.

Alright, let's have a moment. Acosta. PP starting model rules based off fluff, per the Hungerford Matt of Pact episode, Insiders and that interview of Simon in 2014 on the rotating podcasters series Menoth John did. In what world does the Thamarite (My only religious tenet is supreme narcissism!) traveling Merc give a flying backwards moose arse about some random plebs dying to the enemy, a light singe of temperature or an acid bath? The answer is the Iron Kingdoms, but it shouldn't be.

Um....anyway.....

Reclaimer didn't go to his flag, which saves me either trying some Ninja Pig jank to kill him or sacrificing something to stop the score. Plan A goes into effect, the wall sticks around, the various Rhulic jacks contest the zone. Acosta runs to be behind the wall and see if he can Dodge/Riposte the world, though I didn't leave him enough room to backpedal to safety if he so desired, meaning he could easily be boxed in for a kill.

Snapjaw goes forward and contests. The two Warbeasts are premium models in the matchup, or at least look like it as they can both RFP. Snappy is placed to contest, be out of the Jack ranges. I'm expecting some Idrians and one Venger to come in, if he dies that's OK but if he lives it's amazing (He'll even heal off the meals provided. Sweet).
I've no interest in having Wrongeye trivially killed, so forgo Star Crossed.

Team Ninja (Not Die Antwoord related) continue running up the flank. There was definitely a choir hunting joke made, though really with only two jacks I wouldn't care to spend the models so long as the scenario play was working.

Mercs go to 1 CP.

IPB Image
Menoth 3: The Menites tire of playing the field and commit a little, though we are talking more moving in together than Engagement at this time.
Two of the Vengers come in and blat a Gunner.
The Idrians charge into Snappy, do damage but he survives with all aspects and I'm preparing for internal peacock preening.

They then reposition to give room for two of the Exemplar Knights to get in and the fear hits. The pair charge in as the unit jogs around, they sadly get the job done.

Backfield models finally enter the zone, Scourge being the bolder of the two.

Reclaimer goes to his flag, scores level at 1 CP apiece.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 30 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #292

IPB Image
Merc 3: The forest keeps team Ninja safe, but also makes the Pigs unable to get to Reclaimer in a good way(Should have had Brine 5 inch from the forest, so he could walk and toe off the smoke. Foiled by my own Skornish model!).

The mission is clear, so carry on scoring my flag.
Between Aiyanna/Holt and the various Bunnies the two Vengers and the Idrian contesting my flag get killed off. The Drillers then cower behind the wall, one contests the zone.
Wrongeye runs, engages the clump of Idrians that killed his poor little pet.

On the right, they get joined by Ragman running from the middle, if a jack goes to the side Brine will need the armour debuff to pop it.
The Pigs run back a bit, to a location where they can threat the flag in a reasonable way.
The Green Eliminators run to be behind the forest contesting the flag.
Acosta runs right up in their, engages the Officer of the Idrians, contesting the enemy flag and awaits his either imminent demise or move/stab turn of glory.

I take the lead 2v1.

IPB Image
Menoth 4: So this is the day after Cancon and I stayed up all night watching season 2 of iZombie, so I don't see how this isn't going to be my magnum opus of literary skill after this sentence. Though essentially it's a soap opera I've deemed acceptable for the sake of constant murders and actors who have faces that can emote at times due to their lack of permanently attached masks composed mostly of plastic.

Another round, once more a pair of Vengers charge in, neigh in the face of a Gun Bunny and implode that ###### out of it, then promptly drop their Lancers and start mentally summoning them for the next time they charge something. Idrians move around, surrounding Wrongeye. They do melee attacks, turns out the little Croc is tougher than his larger counterpart, ends up on 3 boxes. The unengaged Idrians shoot Brine up, take out his Mind, reposition to be in the way.

Cleansers/Exemplar Knights/Scourge all sit in the top half of the zone, as the Book and Templar chill on the hill. Reclaimer tries to kill the Green Eliminators by Ashes to Ashes being cast on an Errant, kills one and puts the other on 1 box.

Scores unchanged.

IPB Image
Merc 4: This is the turn I'm finally forced to contemplate feating. The Driller is short on getting into Scourge, because Driller native threat range is......great.........whilst if I don't do something about him, he comes in kills the Driller, Menoth probably get to 3 CP and with Reclaimer feat easily clear out to a scenario win.

Thus Drillers run to blocking spots on Gorten, he moves to the top edge of the flag and pushes back Scourge, most of the Knights and the Vengers. They don't go super distances due to terrain and back pieces, that's OK though. One Venger becomes the green proxy base on the awful water terrain.

I'm allowed to cast that piece of terrain garbage, was one of the first pieces I made and now I know it's unplayable rubbish.

Wrongeye chooses to remain super annoying, so burns all his Fury to heal and misses his melee attacks (Didn't buy extra, if Reclaimer wants feat targets he could put in some damn work for it).

The Green Eliminator stays contesting as Brine, lacking his Mind, puts up his Animus, snacks on a couple Idrians then gets Souie'd back by Rorsh.

I get up 3v1.

Menoth 5: Curses! Photo taking discipline has fallen! Scourge kills some Exemplar Knights. Well, we know what's happening now.
Idrians futz around, one dies to a Wrongeye freestrike. They shoot down Ragman and flail their noodles at Wrongeye.
Reclaimer moves into the zone, fats back Vengers and Knights.
Vengers and Knights move in, they pop the Driller in the zone and reposition leaving a couple of them contesting my flag. A Knight misses Wrongeye, who is feeling pretty damn immortal at the moment.
Cleansers move up into the top left of the zone.
The Book and Templar move block Brine getting in on Reclaimer.

I've got a spray bunny contesting the zone, so we remain at 3v1.

IPB Image
Merc 5: Aha! It took 5 rounds, but now I kill with abandon! With my....11 models remaining. Quality verse Quantity right? Ignoring that the Menites kinda have both at the moment?

No longer fearing random feat generated assassinations, I get to drop the wall and throw focus on a Driller.

Clearing around my flag first, Aiyanna/Holt advance into the zone, Harm the Vengers. Holt shoots one down like a boss.
Driller walks up and kills the Vengers. Spray Bunnies clear off the other contesting stuff.
Gorten sits on the flag, shoots......something?

Wrongeye kills a couple Idirans, heals up a bit off the Bite. Nom nom nom.

The only thing I really regret from last round was Ragmans death, as without him Brine isn't likely to do much at all to the Templar. I go for it anyway, Brine'll just get Cleansered or be irrelevant at this point and I need work from every action. Rorsh walks to hide behind the forest after dropping smoke and healing Brines aspects. Brine goes into the Templar, maxes Fury and from memory doesn't do that great.

Mercs go to 4 v 1. All....most.....their......(Insert Wilhelm scream)

+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 30 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #293

IPB Image
Menoth 6: Cleansers brutalise Aiyanna/Holt.
Vengers go into the Driller, don't roll super great. One repo's to a super annoying spot behind the terrain wall behind my flag.
Scourge gets to contesting range, puts the Spray Bunny on one box so contesting still succeeds!
Reclaimer sticks around in the centre of the zone.

The Idrians finally kill Wrongeye. Alas tough.

The Templar takes some swings at Brine, Reclaimer juggled some spells so without the extra focus he doesn't manage to kill the glorious Pig.
The Choir and book and move up around the Menoth flag.

Scores stay 4 v 1.

IPB Image
Merc 6: I've got a definite clock advantage and my model count is becoming a more and more depressing multiple of my control points, so lets just try to keep it slowly trucking on.

Spray Bunny goes way out left, kills some infantry but per average dice doesn't do squat to teh Vengers. This sadly means the Driller has to keep them, so Gorten walks backward off the flag to not die to Scourge, he guns downs the Venger that was hiding behind the wall.
Tinker moves into the zone. I cancel his paycheck early.

Around the Menoth flag, the green Eliminator walks in kills a pair of the choir, sidestpes back to stay contesting the holy flag. Brine attacks the Templar, does some more chip damage. Little pig moves to the contest spot behind the forest. Had Rorsh been in smoke range I think I easily kill Reclaimer, so that's a self inflicted mistake.

Scoring is for chumps, so why would we do that?

Menoth 7: This game was going to long for the phone camera to keep up.
Scourge kills the Spray Bunny, takes out the Drillers Movement and left arm.
Cleansers and Idrians swarm around my flag, brutally putting down the Tinker on the way.
Templar finally puts down Brine. Sweet Bacon, wasted on a sentient artificial war slave.

Menites score the centre zone with a Domiante, now it's 4 v 3 with Mercs still technically in the lead.

IPB Image
Merc 7: Ye gods, just kill stuff and desperately contest.
Last Bunny does an excellent spray, no Knights left on the table and sweet sod all of the Idrians.
The Driller toes the zone and stays contesting my flag, kills Scourge.
Gorten actually drops Solid Ground, because knocking down Rhulic models at this point? Go for it. Stays where he is, shoots down some Cleansers.

The Eliminator finishes off the choir, sidesteps up to the hill and contests the zone.
Rorsh moves out in the open, pew pews the Templar for not much.

I remain at a tantalising 4, Mercs at 3. Looking bad.

Menoth 8: This is now the longest Mark 3 game I've had (In rounds at any rate).

I have no sodding idea what the Templar does. Jiggles a little bit. Menoth starts with a couple minutes this turn, so it's a cram turn.

The scattered remaining infantry flood around my flag, though none have enough models left to score.

Clutch play happens, Reclaimer puts Hand of Fate on himself and charges the Driller, easily bins it.

The Eliminator, whose been on 1 box for.....5 rounds or something? Contests the centre zone and stops the Dominate the zone for the win. Menoth hits the clock with 39 seconds to go.

IPB Image
Merc 8: I've got 10 minutes or so, options are kill the Reclaimer or score my flag. I've got Gorten, a spray Bunny, the hero Eliminator and Rorsh.
There's only four Cleansers contesting my flag at this point, that's a damn sight easier to pop than a caster, regardless of camp. Def 11 for the win.
The Bunny pops three of the Cleansers.
Gorten walks up to the flag, hits the first handcannon shot and bam, that's the 5th point.

Alas Game 65, this is my new favourite game of wardollies.
Not sure my overall approach to this game was spot on. The scoring was fine, but mayhap I gave to much creedence to the "let's not kill stuff cause it'll come back" plan. Sacrificing the Gunners essentially stops the potential Venger wipe out, though Dimster is to skilled a player to not keep a Venger well safe if they aren't the sacrificial pieces. The Spray Bunnies are to valuable to do the same, plus one was Preyed and the moves that deny that ability do stroke something warm and sticky in my brain. I definitely could have kept Ragman alive, as he got CRA'd so he should have been placed to Sac Pawn onto Wrongeye, this makes the Templar death likely and means I probably win the attrition instead of losing it.

Candidly, I got lucky twice here with models on two turns on one box sitting around to contest.

Do needs more games into DS, always down to the wire and now we need a winner for the best of three.
+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Jan 30 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #294

Member No.: 1,881

I watched the last half of this game and it was impressive play from both of you. Also intense.

Also your ability to squeeze work out of models is remarkable.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 31 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #295

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Jan 30 2017, 07:21 PM) *
Also your ability to squeeze work out of models is remarkable.

Well, more that Bunnies play themselves and if at least one is alive there's usually a chance tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: Jan 31 2017, 09:01 AM
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 31 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #296

Two rounds in, three to go, pretty sure I just drained all my fate points.

Round 3 of Cancon Masters, sure enough Bender's Arse plate has dropped off as the Circle Dodge plan eats itself out of existence.

Pairing is Una2 and something there to fulfill the two list requirement of the tournament.

Griffons into a caster with the defensive stats 14/14/15? How about no. I think Gorten can maybe Una at this point? Rockwall stops me dying, got at least a couple spray bunnies. I regret the lack of local Circle players to practice into.

Gorten, Drillers, Gunners, Sprayers, Pigs, Crocs, Eliminators, Acosta, support chumps
vs
Una2 - 5x Scarsfell, Rotterhorn, 2x Wolwyrd, Ghetorix, Gorax, Blackclad, Shifting Stones, 2x Sentry Stones, whatever that attachment that gives herding/free upkeep

Scenario is Two Fronts (One day we'll forget it was called Close Quarters)

Something that is on my side is the terrain. The guts is incredibly open aside from a minute cork hill, both sides get a double trench. These things don't matter.
What it does have is that both sides have a pair of walls, a weird curved one near each flag and a standard one toward the other corner.
Middling useful terrain is a hill on the left flank and a forest on the right.

I win the roll, given the terrain mirroring and the slow scenario, plus sodding birds, I pick first.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Woah. That is an ugly table cloth. I remember it not being appetizing, but the photo definitely adds to the puke-consisting-of-snot complexion.

Gorten/Jacks hang on the left to threaten the defensive score, Crocs in the centre to go where needed. Pigs go super right flank to hopefully threaten the opposing flag in the distant rounds after Una's feat.

Across from me is a ye old line of Sentry Stones plus twiggy plebs, then a line of Beasts. One of the left group is the Rotterhorn, the Green Pureblood isn't in the list and gets removed shortly, Una central, Ghetorix slightly to the right, Gorax is the cool kid at the back of the class.

Pigs up on the right, prepping to stab the clock.

IPB Image
Circle 1: Manikins spread out front as you do, then it's a line of Griffons, then Una/Blackclad/Ghetorix.
Gheto gets Mirage, I think Hand of Fate doesn't happen?

IPB Image
Merc 2: I measured the Griffons feat turn run and engage. Was super sad.
One of the Sentry Stones forgot to pop a forest, so at the very least I'll try to kill that damn thing.
Otherwise plan is to put in a griffon restraining order and keep the things I need alive for my next turn.

Gunner moves up, one shots the Sentry Stone. Sweet. Other Gunner moves up and tries to pop a Shifting stone. Fails hard.
Definition of consistency right there.

Gorten walks as close as he can to the curved wall, gets enough to stop the front landing zone. I then put a wall behind him and put some jacks to stop the Griffons getting in on Gorten, my thinking being that if Griffons surround Gorten it dictates to much what board edge I have to push.

I run the Red Eliminators and Acosta, the Kayazy jam on the left most Griffon, Acosta gets just within Vengeance trigger range on the left, sadly can't do that and be on the hill.

Tinker, Spray Bunny and Aiyanna/Holt hang so far back they are embarrassed, pretty impressive for inanimate dollies.

Ragman/Crocs hang in the trench, Submerge out of habit. Need Ragman further forest to try to put down Death Field, makes the POW 10 Sprays a lot better.

On the right, I run the Green Eliminators behind the wall. I expect they'll die to Mannikin sprays, should they live though they'll hopefully be able to get in and pop them, at least slow down the other Sentry wrecking my day.
The Pigs again move up but stay super flanky, Rorsh goes behind the forest, think he'd either draw three Griffons away or he could do a smoke pop escapish deal.

IPB Image
Circle 2: So....that Griffon the Red Eliminators jammed? Rotterhorn. SMRT to me.
Rotterhorn squaks, kills one Eliminator, puts the other on a box.
Una walk to the centre of the double trench, pops feat, tries a shot on Acosta that misses. Already have Vengeance triggered, so he pops up on the hill.
A Griffon then goes in on Acosta, misses his boosted charge so he Dodges up the board to be behind the top left wall. Another Griffon runs up to him and blocks.

Centre wise the Wold Wyrds advance and pew pew down the left Gunner.
The Gobbers then move between the Wolds and pop down their big cloud, Ghetorix and Gorax stay behind it. Shifting stones jiggle around, one goes in front of Una which stops any chance of dragging her in.

Around Gorten, Three Griffons run up and get in the way.

On the Circle Defensive flag, the Sentry Stone drains itself boosting Sprays which kills one of the Green Eliminators and damages the other Kayazy.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 31 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #297

IPB Image
Merc 3: My win condition was established in the last turn. I've got an easy feat choice and attrition/assassination plays, more than that though is that the last turn involved some good tank time for Circle, enough that clock is easily my strongest play. My activations only need to be reasonable and timely rather than great (I want to say it was about 45 minutes vs 25).

The remaining Gunner had gotten somewhat mauled to Griffon attacks, more to the point it was in the way of where I wanted to drag, so it moved out and died to freestrikes.

Gorten then walks around the Griffon in front of him to end up on the left of my flag, in front of the terrain wall, does a gun shot to finish off the injured Shifting Stone in front of Una.
He puts down a new Rockwall in front of him and feat pushes everything on the left eight inches to the right, though I don't get Una/Ghetto who are in the trench.
The three Griffons who were around Gorten get bunched up in a line near the spray bunnies, chocking up on the Green Eliminator that I moved into the relevant position.
The two Griffons on Acosta end up next to the Gobber cloud, the Wolds and other stuff end up next to the Circle flag.

I then attack the triple Griffin line, Ragman moves up and Deathfield, spreading Dark Shroud through the choke point Eliminator.
Both Spray Bunnie then move up and hit them, maul the hell out of them though I fell short on killing any. All were missing one or two aspects. The last Bunny also kills the Eliminator, was worth it.
Wrongeye Submerges and camps three, as I suspect he's going to get Griffoned. Snapjaw runs forward, as he'll likely be needed to clear out stuff contesting my flag next turn.

On the right, Aiyanna Stealths, Holt kills a pair of Mannikins.
Little Pig drops all his Fury and smoke, he goes to behind the forest. brine goes in, eats a manikin, then fluff enough attack rolls that I have to max his fury to kill a Wold Wyrd.

On the very top left, I have my lazy assassination attempt. Una is camping one. The last Red Eliminator walks into the back arc, does a pair of stabs, does five points I think.
Acosta charges her, hits, does 10 points that gets transferred to Ghetorix. Second stab hits, does seven or eight, whatever it is she goes to 1 box.

IPB Image
Circle 3: The Gorax moves up behind Una, in the back of the Red Eliminator, gets the kill.
A pair of Griffins walk back, with Flank and backstrike the second puts down Acosta.
Blackclad hunters marks the Driller behind the wall, Ghetorix then charges him, maxes Fury to kill it.
Three Griffons in front of my trench go, one engages Ragman (No Spirit/Mind, so can't hit him) the other two, also missing aspects, go into Wrongeye, draws off a couple fury on transfers and leaves him with a scratch.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Brine doesn't frenzy, so that's a bonus. Clock game still strong, plan is to be a coward with Gorten and kill some more stuff.

Gorten just runs backward.

In front of the trench, Ragman Death Fields again, the Spray Bunnies kill all the Griffons down there.
Wrongeye then moves up.

Snapjaw charges Ghetorix, loads up on Fury but sadly falls just shy of killing him. I'd been hoping to get the Driller backward to kill the Griffons that come in on Croc stuff, but it's not to be, so he goes in and easily finishes off Ghetto.

Rorsh gets into the forest, shoots down the Mannikin that spawned.
Brine goes into the next Wold Wyrd, kills it.

IPB Image
Circle 4: Griffons come in, they kill the Driller next to Snapjaw, Circle clocks.

I had 20 minutes remaining, so that worked out. Wrongeye/Ragman/Spray Bunnies probably finish off the remaining Griffons, Gorten can walk to the right and extremely safe as the Pigs take over the Circle flag, so overall very content with my position.

This terrain, scenario and going first felt like a perfect combo for my list into Una, not confident I can replicate a win into rematches. we'll get one other chance this weekend, so that'll come up eventually.

In any event, 3 up! Can only go downhill from here!
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 1 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #298

Scenario is Incursion. Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!
Got to put this scenario down to a player weakness. Or some manner of cure for Gorten mayhap? Then again, something has to make up for The Pit.

My cunning plan of "Dodge Circle" has failed in a pants on head style. Fortunately they weren't my pants and suffered no shame by their removal.

I wasn't in super dodge mode for Ret, though ultimately after Circle they were what I didn't want to run into.

Naturally, it's Dilsharn. Well, at least it'll definitely be fun.

It's Rahn and Issyria. Yada yada Thexus oink oink withered corpse stats meep meep Rahn rolling in mud. Gorten again, to, I'm sure, your absolute shock.

Gorten, Crocs, Pigs, Drillers, Bunnies, Support, Eliminators, Acosta
vs
Rahn1 (Forges of War) - Helios, Discordia, 2x Chimera, Sylyss, House Shyeel Artificer w/ Hydra, Battle Mittens, 2x House Shyeel Magister, 3x Arcanist

Table is pretty open centrally, it is defined far more by one side having a central forest that would be bad for me. Otherwise that forest side has a flank flag with a nearby wall, water near the centre one whilst the right flag has a forest on either side of it.
Other side has a hill that for some reason looks unappetizing.
I lose the roll I believe, Ret take first. it's the side without the evil forest for me.

IPB Image
Ret 1: Ret runs up on their opening turn.

Around the left flag heads a Chimera and the Mittens. There's then a centre clump, with Helios on the left, Discordia, marshalled Hydra and the other Chimera on the right. behind that lot is a Magister, Artificer, Rahn, Sylyss and Arcanist. Toward the right flag is a magister with no friends.

IPB Image
Merc 1: So, I avoided saying what my deployment was, principally because it was done in error.

I had a specific thought as soon as the pairing went out (Rahn vs Gorten turned out to be an accurate assumption) that I needed to Gorten safe by plonking him behind the Crocs to stop him getting TK'ed then dragged to death.

I completely dropped this thought when I deployed. Most of it is fine, the plan is to use feat to push for the centre and right flag while Pigs fight out on the left one with suicide contesting Kayazy. Where I've blindsided myself is that I plonked the Crocs centre and Gorten on the right, not an insurmountable error but it definitely caused some head slaps and, more importantly, slows the advance of a caster who's speed is already lacklustre at best.

Ergo, Pigs go out left jacks spread between the centre and the right flag, Crocs charge across at the right side magister, allowing Gorten to charge up behind them. Submerges happen, Gorten puts up Solid Ground. Another hampering aspect of the matchup was that I feared focus fire on Gorten, as his Line of Sight is never blocked, so wanted to camp multiple on him every turn which causes problems for Strength of Granite and Rockwalling. solid Ground against the Force Hammer caster also feels like a choice I didn't really get a say in until things don't matter on the table (i.e the spell drops when the game is essentially decided).

IPB Image
Ret 2: The Elves have quite a conservative turn, nearly everything just walks back and does the Thriller dance. With Apparition and Whiplach, the right Chimera gets far enough forward to channel a Force hammer that knocks the far right spray bunny into the driller, then back up with it's actual movement.
Force Barrier/Disco's Imprint spring up. I believe I forgot to mention that Helios has Polarity Shield on it, and it was driving me nuts trying to work out how to deal with it.
*something* killed one of the Green Eliminators, but I have no idea what it was. probably Disco's spray plus a TK backward.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Retribution reticence regarding rapacious re-location rears room regards scenario. Sod, ran out of R words.

Anyway, I can easily spawn a pair of control points off the flank flags, then try to push scenario, I expect Helios will go to contest the centre and right flag, allowing a Gorten feat to try to push it on the right. if Helios doesn't go that way then I have the chance of getting stuff up to threaten Helios under cover of feat speed restrictions. Hopefully anyway.

On the right, a Gunner runs tot eh flag. I wanted to use the Spray Bunny (Much less use in the matchup against loads of anti-gun armour, Gunner at least forces Shield Guard positions) but alas the Force barrier took out his Cortex. That Spray Bunny instead moves to the right, behind one of the forest copses'. Tinker runs to get in position to repair him next turn out of long term planning optimism.

Centre wise, Gorten tepidly advances behind the Crocs, looks like I kept back out of Helios charge range, which curtailed getting the feat threat up the board. The Drillers run in front, hopefully threatening something next turn with a drag. ragman/Aiyanna hang back, waiting to pop their anti-armour.

Around the left flag the remaining Green Eliminator runs to score, the Pigs go far left.

This leaves two Bunnies, some Eliminators and Acosta. I decide to sacrifice them to the scenario plan, hopefully buying time (plus, as always, sometime Acosta is magic). They jam around the Mittens and Helios. If Acosta is lucky he might live, the rest are most certainly dead, hopefully without Helios getting to move though (Mittens have little trouble killing Kayazy in my experience).

Mercs go to 2 CP.

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: Feb 2 2017, 09:50 AM
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 1 2017, 11:14 PM
Post #299

IPB Image
Ret 3: Chimeras apparate a little bit.
The Mitten go, they pin in Acosta using magic bolts kill him and the Eliminators. Sadness.

Arcanists buff Helios, Rahn TK's the forward Driller forward and around.
Helios smashes the Bunnies and Driller with punches, I get a sharp reminder that I haven't played this Colossal before as he Dual Attacks to shoot Gorten and push him directly back 3 inches. The revelation my caster was getting 1 inch movement a turn caused a mental internal replication of what I assume an Agonizers scream is like.
Disco chills at the back like a bro.
On the right the Chimera, friendless magister and marshalled Hydra go up to the right flag, kill the Gunner I've got on their.

Those disasters aside, I thought things where going awesomely. I was going to get a third point, then feat to conjure the winning scores in a round, Helios push be damned.
The last Ret activation was the left Chimera, who walks and contests the left flag. Dangit.

My contesting with the damaged Sprayer at least pays off, as the points go up to 2v1 to me.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Alright, the plan is having trouble, I'd not accounted for the Driller loss in my attrition arithmetic. Had he been a little further back he might have been safe, but ultimately I need to threaten the flags, as Rahn ain't giving me a feat drag line anytime soon.

Alright, Helios isn't in on the left side and Gorten isn't in meaningfull feat range, so we'll score one and limp the dwarf back.

Left wise, Brine goes in and pops the Chimera and a pair of the Mittens, the Green Eliminator hangs on the flag for the score.

Aiyana/Holt Stealth, Snapjaw runs up to Helios and contests the centre flag.

Gorten runs up and across, intending to feat clear the right flag in the future, tries to hide between Wrongeye and the Driller.

Around the actual right flag the Tinker repairs the Bunny, who kills the Magister.

I go to 3 and resent the turn. Positive Charge was mucking me up to much, Aiyanna should have harmed Hypno, then the Croc and Driller should have trampled in and bought attacks to at least damage the git, assuming they were in range.

Really feeling the effects of the inexperience. Should have had a Bunny behind behind Gorten from the Get go to stop the 3 inch push back.

IPB Image
Ret 4: Helios kills Brine and Snapjaw, contests the left zone, shoots Gorten and pushes him away. The Mittens run behind the Colossal in the backfield.
Discordia goes to the centre flag and Imprints away.
Rahn and support bros hang out in the backfield.
On the far right the Artificer, Chimera and Hydra hang around the right flag, kill the SPray Bunny on the way.

Scores end at 3 all.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Helios isn't going anywhere, need to push for the right flag and Prey and I can somehow wing a 5th point from here.
Ninja Pig hides behind the wall and contests the left flag.

Centre flag, Holt contests at a distance, Wrongeye charges Discordia, swings and does some reasonable damage that I wasn't expecting.
Driller then runs up to a spot, Gorten goes behind him, shoots down the Artificer and pushes the Chimera and Hydra to the right board edge and put Discordia into the water, my hope being that the Driller would live and get to pop an opposing heavy. Also ping Helios with feat.

Tinker goes to the right flag and scores.

Gets up to 4 v 3.

IPB Image
Ret 5: Helios kills Holt, stays contesting the left/right flag and pushes Wrongeye away.

Rahn and Mittens stay safe and conservative, not giving me any cheap assassination angles.
Discordia gets TK'ed to deal with his lack of Pathfinder, then stabs the last Driller and messes it up pretty hard.

On the right the Chimera and Hydra contest the flag.

IPB Image
Merc 5: My only forlorn hope is to try to somehow get a point on the right flag.
Brine goes behind the wall and contests the left flag safely.
Aiyanna contests the centre flag and stealths randomly.
Wrongeye charges up and eats a Magister, more an army points kill gathering exercise. Plus Whip Snap thingy is aggravating.
The Driller shuffles a little, manages to kill off Disco, Tinker tinks.
Gorten runs to be next to the forest and we hope for miracles.

IPB Image
Ret 6: Ret only needs to points to win, so Helios goes to the centre flag and kills Wrongeye/Aiyanna. Hydra goes to the right flag, Chimera arcs a Force Hammer to get rid of the contesting Tinker and that's game.

IPB Image
Me on the left, clock win was also a stretch alas.

Well, Helios is interesting. Need more practice. Did not Git Gud. One more round, maybe a win gets me top four if I'm very lucky?

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: Feb 2 2017, 09:52 AM
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 2 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #300

Alright, final round of Masters, we got their eventually!

3v1, so if I win this one there's still a chance and getting into the finals.

Into Sway-Me with double Skarre. One list is murder light bots for days, the other (Skarre 2) is a mix of Kraken and expensive character heavies/pieces.

Seemed to not have much Merc inclination, so I hope desperately he wouldn't read the situation to well and dropped Skarre 2, can kick that list up and down the kerb all day.

Skarre1 sadly gets picked and it's a problem.

Gorten1 - Come on, you know what's in this list right?
vs
Skarre1 - 5x Stalker, Malice, Skarlock, Aikos1 w 3x Stalker, Witch Siren, Machine Wraith, Scrapthralls
Objective: Damned if I remember. Bunker?

So...damn. The problem is he threats a considerable difference can easily run in 2 or 3 Stalkers to pop the Lessers, wait out my feat with a back off and watch me slump in the corner. This can be slightly ameliorated if I win first turn, as I can get up the board enough to threaten scenario which makes my feat back to a livable standard. I then lose the roll and he takes first, and the creek is brown and we have a paddle. Just a paddle, there's no boat. Plys the paddle is of the rubber fun variety rather than a water navigating apparatus.

Terrain and associated table side is actually where I make my biggest mistake of the game. I pick a side with an irrelevant pair of tiny hills, an awkward wall and what I apparently decided was relevant being a leather patch we decided was rubble.
The other side featured a blob of water on one flag and a large forest that dis-insensitived me, but those should have been necessary sacrifices for an utterly excellent horizontal wall. I wouldn't be able to charge over it or anything, but it would combo excellently with a rockwall to keep the solos truckin. In any event, mistakes were made....

IPB Image
Round 1: Murder bots scream up the table.
I believe the white based Stalkers are on Aikos (In the centre of the line).

Other than that, the Machine Wraith and Witch Siren run up on my side of the wall of doom, Malice/Aikios/Skarre go on the Cryx side. Skarlock eats a Scrapthrall in the backfield for the focus generation nonsense.

Well, I've no choice but to try to brick up somewhat, with a need to be able to exit the killbox as well plus not get jammed out on scenario.
Gorten goes up next to the objective (As it will be invulnerable on the next Cryx turn), puts down a wall and gets a couple jacks next to him to take up landing zone, plus one unit of Eliminators. jacks go on the right side of the Objective as well, sprays behind to clear off the Stalkers that will come in.
Behind the awkward terrain wall, though it's placement isn't super meaningful due to the angle of it, I put the crocs, the other Kayazy and Acosta. I opt to Star Crossed to make the defence boat hopefully do more work, this was a poor move as it makes Wrongeye excessively vulnerable.
Pigs go way left, I need something to be able to get around and about.

IPB Image
Cryx 2: here comes the pain. Skarre hangs behind the wall, casts Dark Guidance.
Stalkers swarm forward. Sure enough one of Aikios' moves up, jumps and gets to Wrongeye. This is the point Swarmer realises he forgot to feat, so I have a chance!

Wrongeye manages to live without to much issue, taking three boxes from a full Stalker attacking. Various Stalkers go in, turns out there's a vendetta again Eliminators (Fair enough) and they all get wiped out.
The Machine Wraith moves up (One day I'll remember they don't need to go base to base anymore) and causes a Gunner to walk forward into nope land. A pair of Stalkers attack, it lives though in highly mangled form (Has just Movement left).

Other than that, one stalker gets to Rorsh, manages to knock off a Fury with a transfer, another goes into the water to not get super dragged away, the non-Stalker non-Machine Wraith models all hover in the safety of the wall I should have taken.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Alright, by the power of the last round of the day fatigue I seem to have a chance!
I have the option of feating, but decide to see if I can kill all the Stalkers instead. Once they are gone I can coast to a win with impunity.
Drillers get some focus, Solid Ground sticks around (Things I don't need to put up Strength of Granite for: Stalkers).

On the far left, Brine easily kills the Stalker on Rorsh, then a smoke pop moves him to threaten the left flag while Rorsh, all aquiver from being attacked early in a game for once, goes and sobs against the table edge.

My Brick essentially drifts itself a part a short distance.
Between Acosta, Snapjaw, Drillers, Sprayers, Holt, and a Gobber shot all the Stalkers in my immediate vicinity vanish, so that felt pretty good. Gorten camps 2 in the rubble behind a Driller, Wrongeye sits some inches behind him with Star Crossed up. Feeling damn good about how this will go now.....

IPB Image
.....which was an obvious warning sign I've missed something. Specifically, I didn't account for a half inch worth of threat extension.
Cryx 3: Note that one of the Stalkers is a proxy for the pre-leap.
Skarre moves up, feats on pretty much all the remaining Cryx models, casts Dark Guidance.
Warwitchs move up and spray at stuff, Tinker dies, Gorten gets corroded.
Malice moves up, misses a shot on Gorten due to the Rubble.
Aikios walks forward, leaps forward, shoots Gorten, boosts, hits, does one damage point which triggers the drag half an inch forward into the Driller.
This allows the feated Stalker to move up, leap and stab at Gorten. Star Crossed doesn't do it's job, it hits each time (Damn you Dark Guidance! [The spell, I enjoy the podcast]).
I burn through all my focus, end up on one box. Corroded.

Merc 3: A sweet corrosion roll later and Skarre has pulled it out.

Bleurgarbldeem.
That was some sweet attempts at trying to trade punting the game, I was cracking up by the end. Corrosion death is amusing, if not best, death.

I thought I'd get an excuse-y line here about not enough practice into Cryx, but alas the stats inform me I've played them as often as I have Khador, which is just weird as I know which one I'm comfortable in. I blame the long ago past when I sported the Reds instead of the Coin grabbers.

Table side selection definitely the biggest mistake. Other than that I think bricking up was correct, though Star Crossed should have been spotted as an exercise in futility for the game.

Well, that my tourney done, went 3-2. I think I ended up somewhere in the middle of my end bracket, importantly above the Octavius line.
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2019 - 08:10 AM