Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic - The Startening, Resurrecting the 90's
Andy242
post Oct 17 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,044

Hi guys!

The family's gotten into trading card games, and I've had a look at getting back with MTG- an old- OLD- friend, and naturally I must now put my wallet in the fate of strangers (nice ones, but!) on the internet.

The usual hype is buy the toolkit, make a few decks. However, through science (and too many late nights) these decks are 'too random', with too many one-off cards, from memory, the most playable decks were consistent, maybe no more than 10 creature types and 3 spell types (so a deck of x zombies, etc. etc.), resulting in a consistent hand and a good game.

No one wants to 'be' a colour yet, so the idea would be a draft that'll allow people to swap colours and still have a good time^tm.

The toolkit appears to be a little too random to get a consistent hand, buying 1000+ cards with 'NO DUPESSS!!!!111oneonee' on gumtree are also not what I'd want; buy $175 worth of boosters seems to be a crapshoot- much more so if you want to derive 4 decks out of it). Repacks are all ok, but again, you're likely in for a imbalance of cards, plus we know all the good stuff has been harvested.

My routes seem to be:

- Buy 4 premade sets; there seem to be some budget ones- $20 or so, then just add to those, and slow grow the decks through boosters or single buys.
- Read up and buy some set lists? There's a cube draft list somewhere- don't think that's going to be cheap.
- Find someone who's played and selling off their collection wholesale- best of both worlds, yet oddly, ebay is very lacking there- lots of sellers, but no genuine old collections under $100, it would seem...

Am I on the right track? Anyone have any advice?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mango
post Oct 17 2016, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 84

There is a guy on gumtree that sells 60 card playable decks of all different colours for $6 delivered, maybe something like that would be a good base?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lonsdale/co...-mtg/1122537691

Personally if my old school friends and I were going to get back into MTG I would suggest sealed deck league with ante smile.gif

each person buys a base set + 2/4 boosters, makes a 40 card deck and play for ante. At certain intervals (maybe every week) each person can add a booster to their pool of cards.

But that might be hard for new players to grasp
+Quote Post
Andy242
post Oct 17 2016, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Mate- way to deliver! That's a great find! Thanks; I'll go have a word smile.gif

What defines the 'base set'- I'm vaguely aware of fatpacks, toolkits and event decks (intro packs and duel decks not withstanding!).

This post has been edited by Andy242: Oct 17 2016, 02:40 PM
+Quote Post
WMD
post Oct 17 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Not completely Japanese

Member No.: 2,959

MTG is a addictive money black hole, you have been WARNED !
A great card game, but you can easily find yourself throwing down large chunks of cash just to try and keep up.

If its just for family fun, easily pick up stashes of common cards from your most LFGS, the hardcore players dont want commons so the store collects them and sells them out to new beginner players for cheap. Good way to get some common decks for casual play.

--------------------

Where hes wrong is that we went into Iraq at the invitation of the government, not as an invasion.
Were in Iraq as the result of a democracy asking for us to come in there. Its not an invasion.
Dic_ Morris - Fox News Aug 22nd, 2008

: Some Americans have the memory of a ******* GoldFish :

+Quote Post
Andy242
post Oct 17 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(WMD @ Oct 17 2016, 03:50 PM) *

Good way to get some common decks for casual play.

Thanks- I'm still assuming that rare not always = 'awesome'; although foils- foils everywhar!

QUOTE(WMD @ Oct 17 2016, 03:50 PM) *

MTG is a addictive money black hole, you have been WARNED !

What?! Are you saying I don't need the counters, buff counters, spinners and deck boxes?!

Hrrumph; I'm going back to GW; and I'm gonna LIKE it wink.gif

This post has been edited by Andy242: Oct 17 2016, 03:21 PM
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Oct 18 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,286

I'm a fan of duel decks for casual play. They're usually about $30 for 2 Planeswalkers and 2 decks designed to have a good game against each other.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
w00f135
post Oct 19 2016, 12:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,474

QUOTE(Starfire @ Oct 18 2016, 08:07 PM) *

I'm a fan of duel decks for casual play. They're usually about $30 for 2 Planeswalkers and 2 decks designed to have a good game against each other.

Do you have a link? I haven't played magic in 10+ years but having two on-par decks in the house might be a good game for the other half.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Oct 19 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,286

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Duel_Decks

I've bought a few from EB games but any gaming shop which stocks MTG ought to be able to get one in for you.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
Andy242
post Oct 24 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Mango @ Oct 17 2016, 03:10 PM) *

There is a guy on gumtree that sells 60 card playable decks of all different colours for $6 delivered, maybe something like that would be a good base?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lonsdale/co...-mtg/1122537691

Well; I've dipped my toe in; I bought 4 packs from the gumtree ad, guy was friendly, stuff arrived quick. Bought the toolkit too, and a fistful of repacks from Good Games Town hall, who were really great at handling the new guy.

The gumtree ad guy has given 4 decks- infect/blue flying/white spirits/red elementals; and I've not played them yet but the cards are from anything, which knocks it out from standard- and surprisingly- modern (there's cards here from 8th ed!); which is cool for kitchen table, but may be a turn off for anyone else.

I've built a red-blue deck, which I've lost several times- I just couldn't produce lands to get even my small creatures out, meanwhile the green player put out some really big creatures largely unopposed- like 9/9 nasties.

So, yeah- it's interesting- one thing to note is all the tokens and bookkeeping now; I've only played n00bs, so I'm keen to see a nice way to do the buffs etc...

+Quote Post
Mootdanga
post Jan 5 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,444

QUOTE(Andy242 @ Oct 24 2016, 02:30 PM) *

Well; I've dipped my toe in; I bought 4 packs from the gumtree ad, guy was friendly, stuff arrived quick. Bought the toolkit too, and a fistful of repacks from Good Games Town hall, who were really great at handling the new guy.

The gumtree ad guy has given 4 decks- infect/blue flying/white spirits/red elementals; and I've not played them yet but the cards are from anything, which knocks it out from standard- and surprisingly- modern (there's cards here from 8th ed!); which is cool for kitchen table, but may be a turn off for anyone else.
I've built a red-blue deck, which I've lost several times- I just couldn't produce lands to get even my small creatures out, meanwhile the green player put out some really big creatures largely unopposed- like 9/9 nasties.

So, yeah- it's interesting- one thing to note is all the tokens and bookkeeping now; I've only played n00bs, so I'm keen to see a nice way to do the buffs etc...

Hello my friend, Where are you? Maybe we can get some games together, im also a returning Magic: The Gathering player.

--------------------
4000pts Tomb Kings

Old Magic: The Gathering player
+Quote Post
WMD
post Jan 10 2017, 01:15 PM
Post #11

Not completely Japanese

Member No.: 2,959

QUOTE(Andy242 @ Oct 24 2016, 03:00 PM) *

If you run dual colors you will need dual lands cards, or ways to draw more land
Uncommon dual lands cards should be able to buy for $1 each
Counterspell is common now right ?

Run counter spells, and control with blue
Red for damage and land destruction
Green is great for new players

I think Goodgames have Magic twice a night, prepared to be smacked down by all the veteran magic players
its not a bad way to get a look at new cards and deck. Plus you can do some buying cheap uncommons

This post has been edited by WMD: Jan 10 2017, 01:20 PM

--------------------

Where hes wrong is that we went into Iraq at the invitation of the government, not as an invasion.
Were in Iraq as the result of a democracy asking for us to come in there. Its not an invasion.
Dic_ Morris - Fox News Aug 22nd, 2008

: Some Americans have the memory of a ******* GoldFish :

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2017 - 06:20 PM