Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 21 22 23  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Crazy Army Plan - 12 Down and onto Necron!, 2000 Points for each army!
korocite
post Apr 16 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #441

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran III
Member No.: 4,947

They look really good. I like dulled down metal - whats your recipe? Nice attention to detail on all those pipes/tubes/conduits.

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BIG
post Apr 24 2019, 08:59 AM
Post #442

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 14,152

Really simple metal on these. GW ironbreaker and a wash of GW reikland fleshshade. Nothing fancy. Just came out quite nicely.

--------------------
Check out my Crazy Army plan here
Check out the Fluff for my Crazy Army plan here
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
BIG
post Jul 23 2019, 03:40 PM
Post #443

So it has been an incredibly long time since i last stopped by. Life has been altogether too hectic and although that is a good thing in many ways it also has meant the painting side of the hobby has suffered. But, I have been slowly plodding along and getting things done. Nothing extremely exciting to show and definitely not going to be a photo dump of progress.

However, things look like they may start to slow down a little and hopefully I can be posting more regularly, like the good old days........who am I kidding, they have flown.

I am still getting regular games in though and am even involved in a three player magic the gathering campaign that is a lot of fun and has been a great way to learn the game.

Anyway, on to some painting goodness. Still poking at the Deathguard and feeling a little pressure as the due date is starting to get closer.....will see what happens.

There is a single Rhino in the army and although I actually quite fancy the Rhino kit once I had built it I really wasn't happy that it didn't have the cool Deathguard aesthetic (far too clean and the like) so i decided to go to town on the poor thing and see if I could please Papa Nurgle.

IPB Image
Fortunately I don't think I botched it and am actually really pleased with how it turned out. I also managed to scrounge some Forgeworld Deathguard doors that really set it apart from a standard Rhino. Hope my mate is happy.

IPB Image
I borrowed from the previous tank and have the white patches over the surface and poured some polystyrene cement onto it and let it eat away for a while to give me a textured surface to paint into.

I also looted my bits box to tool it up and with two combi-bolters and a havoc launcher this little Rhino actually has quite a bite.

IPB Image
The other thing I did, since the kit is quite detailed is rather than glue the side doors on I drop a magnet in so the side doors could be popped off for suitably awesome camera moments. Why hide all that delicious detail?

IPB Image
Similarly I left the top hatch loose so if you ever wanted to look inside or place some models to remind you who is catching a ride is much easier.

IPB Image
I didn't really Nurgle up the inside, maybe I should get a chaos spawn model and hide it inside as a surprise for when my mate takes delivery of the army?

There you have my take on a Nurgle rhino for the deathguard. I think I have captured a little of the aesthetic of the models I have done so far and I am now working on the thirty pox walkers that will provide some bulk to the army, not looking forward to them with all their little details and spindly arms.

Thanks for reading and its good to be back posting.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
BIG
post Jul 24 2019, 02:45 PM
Post #444

Hey all, had a spare minute and thought i would show something that is distracting me at the moment. I really like nice terrain and often don't feel like I am up for scratch building (short of hills and the like). So I am always interested in whats available for a good result for hopefully not heaps of effort or coin (some of that pre-painted stuff is awesome, but I can't justify the cost).

So, when I was hunting for a new painting station and came across http://miniaturescenery.com/. I got one of their modular painting stations (I think I posted it previously) and put it together with little fuss and am still extremely happy with it. Far better than the previous one I had and that thing lasted me years. I did eye off a few of the terrain pieces that they offered as well as I thought they could be easy and look good.

My wife was kind enough to grab a few of the kits I had indicated I was interested in and in the last couple of weeks I have begun assembling them. So far I am really impressed. They go together pretty easily, the instruction available from their website are really good (even have painting guides). Have a look at the photos below (no paint yet) of what I have done.

IPB Image
This is the ground floor of one of the village houses. I figured I really lacked "fantasy" style buildings and these looked like a really nice way of fixing that. There are multiple ways of building them.

IPB Image
This is the next floor, I really like the ladder touch between floors. You can but these up (or glue them) together to make larger buildings and when doing that the doorways will all match up.

IPB Image
And with the roof on. I think even unpainted it looks really good and I am hoping it paints pretty quickly. I have another one already and am thinking of getting another two so I can have a little village.

I also have the Inn that matches these houses so should be able to get a good little village set up. What I especially like is that the roof fits nicely on any floor so you could have a few one level buildings or even a massive tower with little effort.

The other piece of terrain I have always thought of is a lot of pipes running all over the place. Now GW does a very nice set of pipes, but they are pricey and getting a heap of them was beyond what I was willing to pay (but do plan on a set at some stage).

I have been collecting heavy cardboard tubes as I find them with the eye to make some pipe terrain, but always baulked at how to dress them up to look interesting and not just "hey I put some cardboard tube on the table". Miniature Scenery had my answer.......

IPB Image
They have these kits that you add to pipes. I am extremely impressed. Whats above is one kits worth (plus some of my cardboard tubes. I have another two kits yet to build so think I will be able to have a nice little refinery when I am done.

IPB Image
An example of how I could set up the pipework for a game.

IPB Image
An alternative setup.

I am considering getting some hammertone paint and seeing how it goes on the MDF and cardboard and if it gives me a sort of galvanised appearance. could make the painting process very simple.....

So there you have it, I am pretty keen to get the rest of it built and painted and use it in a game.

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
korocite
post Jul 24 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #445

Group Icon

That is looking suitably diseased. I like your idea of the hidden spawn. It would be great if you could put it on a spring.

Steve
+Quote Post
Fluffy05
post Jul 24 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #446

Member No.: 2,327

Terrain and minis look great!

I’ll have to check out the Miniature Scenery stuff.

--------------------
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

My Miniature Painting & Wargaming Crusade!

Currently playing:

Kings of War: Elves, Kingdoms of Men, Dwarves

Napoleonics (Black Powder Rules): British, Austrians
Ancients: (Hail Caesar Rules) Celts, Romans - Early Imperial and Republican
Flames of War: British Paras, British Armoured LW, US Rifles, US Paras, US Armoured, Germans Panzergrenadiers
SAGA: Normans
Hordes: Circle

Working on:

Deadzone: Starter boxed set plus extra factions & terrain
warpath: Watch this space :)
+Quote Post
BIG
post Aug 22 2019, 06:27 PM
Post #447

So a tiny little bit of progress to keep myself motivated whilst I try to bang out 30 Pox-Walkers for my mates Desth Guard. Not really engaging with them like I have the rest of the Death Guard range unfortunately as they are just not that interesting. Too many of the same sculpts and quite a different aesthetic than the Plague Marines.

But I managed to knock this guy out:

IPB Image
Not my greatest work. But he is my converted Cryptek.

IPB Image
I am really happy with the way the model came together. I think he has a suitable mad scientist look for a robot.

IPB Image
He has the same paint scheme as the rest of the army with a little more metal on his bling.

IPB Image
Here is the Overlord, Cryptek and one base of Scarabs. I think even though the paint may be a little below my current standard it looks ok.

Now back to the grind with the Pox Walkers and will see if I can get some more Necromunda done.

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
BIG
post Nov 25 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #448

So basically I am stunned that the year is going so quickly and I have barely managed to log on and look at everyone else's work rather than update what I am doing. Short answer is......not much. But I am still here and about and have been making some small inroads into the modelling front.

A lot of big changes are on the way for me and the family and hopefully they will be a cause for much celebration.

Firstly, I am going to start off a new job in the new year. I am taking a position with a research company as head Designer doing CAD drafting and all manner of simulations (FEA, structural, fluid dynamics). The real kicker of the position is they are matching my current earnings, but I am going to be working about 7 days a fortnight rather than killing myself with the 60 hours a week I now do.

Plus, I have their blessing to pursue my contract design work that I have been doing on the weekend and after hours so i will be able to get my weekends and evenings back rather than working 70+ hours a week! So excited. May even have a chance to eventually go independent and have my own thing going one day.

The other news and one I have been sitting on for a while is my wife is pregnant with our second child, so come the end of March our son will be welcoming a sibling to cause havoc with. We are obviously a little apprehensive with the health issues our son had to face early on, but I am glad to say he seems to have left that all behind and he is a happy and bubbly little to year old.

Now on to the hobby front......I still have that Death Guard commission hanging over my head and I am a little embarrassed that I have yet to finish it, but I blame the client as he was supposed to be moving back to Australia this year, but has landed another offshore gig for the next three years and has said he doesn't need them any time soon until he gets settled in the new location. SO I took the foot of the gas.....

But I have progress, the blasted Poxwalkers that I have so loathed to do are now finished. Painted, based and varnished.

IPB Image
Utterly horrendous photos I am afraid, but honestly they look ok in real life.

IPB Image
Ended up getting him another 10 dirt cheap so he has plenty of disposable bodies to play with.

IPB Image
To tie in with the green of the deathguard I decided on a green skin tone, didn't want them stealing the limelight from the Plague Marines after all.

IPB Image
In the end I am pretty damn happy with them, they actually have a fair bit of insane character about them if a little creepy.

I have commenced construction of the Spartan.......what a *%$!!* of a model. I think it may go some way to breaking me, it is warped and horrible and going to take some serious attention to get it somewhere near right. Wish me luck.

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
BIG
post Feb 4 2020, 01:37 PM
Post #449

Hi all, it has been quite some time (afraid to look!) since I last posted anything. Haven't even managed to lurk on other peoples blogs. But I have been still plugging away at the hobby front, both painting and gaming. Work has settled down quite well and I am enjoying it, although I think I have to admit it is right at the upper end of my abilities so every day is a stretch. The challenge is refreshing, but I am not used to being stretched mentally like I am now.

Baby number 2 is rapidly approaching and my Wife has been in full blown nesting mode that has seen me removing internal walls in our house to reconfigure bedrooms, thank the gods for a long holiday break over Christmas.

So let me begin with a few picks of recent endeavors:

IPB Image
I know my "plan" is to not go back to armies that I have already finished, but 40k 8th edition has proven to be quite popular and seems to be the primary system that gets played with my gaming buddies. Plus my Imperial Guard (ahem, Astra Militarum) took a hit points wise and were quite a bit below the 2,000 points that they were initially built as. So, with models that I had floating in the bits box (yes it is quite large) I assembled another unit of Veterans. These guys are set up in the same way as the Sniper Vet squad from the originals with Camo Cloaks, but pack a little more punch with three Plasma Guns.

IPB Image
I used Catachan heads on Cadian bodies to give a rough and tumble look. I carved the heads off two metal Cadian command models (Sergeant and Vox user) and replaced them with Catachan heads.

IPB Image
The Plasma guns are all donated from my Space Wolf bits, scraping off anything that was too Wolfy.

IPB Image
I learnt from the previous squad and the Camo Cloaks have come out much neater.

IPB Image
Here you can see the Old Vets next to the New Vets, I think that they look pretty similar to each other which was the plan.

IPB Image
I did actually go back over all the Vet squads and upgraded a guy to be a Vox Operator......will show them next time.

So, with my son getting older (he is almost 2,5 now....) and the soon to be baby number 2, it dawned on me that I have really let my health get away from me. So, as a happy coincidence a very good friend has been plodding away on his own health journey (and doing an incredible job of it). This has led us to keep each other motivated with a 10k steps a day challenge. We accumulate a score based on 10,000 minus our days steps and at the end of the month the winner gets a model painted by the other person. We started this in November 2019 and I managed to win December and January, but lost December. Below is the model that I prepared as the prize......

IPB Image
I feel his Space Wolves lacked armour. So, Predator!

IPB Image
I tricked it up with a few wolf tails and pelt, plus a banner.

IPB Image
Hopefully it is Wolfy enough for the Sons of Russ, It is a little rough around the edges, but on the Tabletop it looks much better than in photos.

IPB Image
I actually quite like the Space Marines range of tanks. Definitely would like to paint one of my own sometime,

IPB Image
I chose the blue as my Mate is building a great company under the command of Bjorn Stormwolf.

IPB Image
This guy should be able to help with the lack of anti-horde capabilities of his Space Wolves currently.

IPB Image
This is here to try and motivate me. If I can knock these guys off I will have finished my Necron army. Why oh why did I not just choose the traditional metal scheme?
12 Tomb Blades (LOVE these models), 10 Immortals and 5 Deathmarks. Maybe I will start them tonight?

IPB Image
Now, I may have mentioned a very cool X-Wing campaign another mate of mine dreamed up that we played for most of last year (I think or was it the year before?) Well, it is about time that we did another campaign and after discussing what game system we would use (came down to Kings of War or 40k) the grim darkness go the nod. Seems like two Inquisitors are butting heads over a Jungle world with possible STC fragments. The rival Inquisitor Dial is a slightly dodgey Space Marine Librarian (long story, but it is very cool), so, I thought the most suitable opponent to this obviously heretic abomination was a true blue Puritan Monodominant Ordos Hereticus Withchunter. So welcome Witch Finder Tasetus.

IPB Image
Very happy with Tasetus's paint job and hopefully you will see him burning heretics on a battlefield near you.

Thanks for reading and good to be typing some words again. Will have the first battle report from our campaign up soon.

This post has been edited by BIG: Feb 4 2020, 01:38 PM

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
BIG
post Feb 5 2020, 10:39 AM
Post #450

Hi all, so we have kicked off our campaign a couple of weeks ago. So far have managed one game as we alternate between what game we are playing of an evening and we meet up once every two weeks, so updates on the campaign will be slow going, but with so many options it can be hard to fit everything in (played an entertaining game of Robo Rally the other night).

But I thought I would put up a bit of background on the Campaign, first, some rules that we are using (apologies the below will be pretty wordy....:

Universal special rules.
1. STC fragments. A unit can search any imperial structure/ruins in lieu of shooting and assaulting. They will be successful in finding an STC fragment on the roll of a 20 on a d20. The following modifiers apply
+1 if the unit did not move that turn.
+1 for each consecutive turn that the unit has searched the same structure (to a maximum of +3)
+1 if the unit has special equipment/abilities that would make their search easier eg techmarine, enginseer etc
-1 if an enemy unit is in the same structure
Only one fragment is recoverable per structure per game. A successful STC fragment is worth one campaign victory point (CVP). Campaign victory points will determine the overall winner at the end of the campaign.

2. Burn everything. The campaign takes place on a dense jungle world. Cover is everywhere, but some small areas of jungle are so dense as to be impassable. These can be cleared by shooting them with a flame weapon or similar. Once shot, remove the terrain feature.

3. Xenos scum. On a world as verdant as this, there are likely to be a multitude of native species that are looking for a meal. Random stuff is likely to happen.

4. Character design rules from Chapter approved 2018 can be used to create unique characters. Each player has six points that can be used to create from two to six characters. A character may have a maximum of four points. Additional characters may be used in games using the normal entries in their codex.

5. Experience. See the experience rules in Chapter Approved 2018. The only exceptions to these rules is that destroyed units must roll a 3+ in order to be available in the subsequent game, and that units do not pay any premium when they gain experience levels. To aid flexibility, a unit can make one change to either weapon load out or model count in between scenarios and still count as the same unit.

So on the above, our gaming host has made some truly incredible pieces of terrain for us to play over and believe me (pictures to follow) it has a very claustrophobic jungle feel.
I have used the character design rules to further flavor Witch Finder Tasetus, he isn't a lot more powerful, but I think he has a little more Puritan personality.

Below are the rules for the first couple of scenarios, to give us an opportunity to use some of our other armies the campaign has our opposing forces (in my case Astra Militarum and allied Iron Hands, along with the Inquisitor and his henchman) not directly meeting for a little while. So each game will have one of us using our Campaign army and the other player using an "NPC" army from our collections.

Scenarios 1.0 and 1.1.

The first challenge is to secure a landing site on the planet to allow heavy support to be brought in. The jungle canopy has proven to be so dense that the only means of achieving this is by blasting a hole from a ship in orbit, or by using one of the few landing pads that exist on the planet. If you choose the former option, you will only be able to deploy units that can deep strike and/or fly. If you opt for the latter, you may only bring infantry and/or flyers (as these are the only units that can exit the landing pad).

So we each chose to use a different way of getting onto the planet. I chose the "safer" option of landing on one of the few stable landing pads, where my opponent chose to just blow holes in the canopy with an orbital bombardment....

1.0 Clear the drop zone.

The deck officer turned to the imposing physical presence that was the Inquisitor. "We have created a keyhole in the canopy using minimal bombardment and planted the homing beacon. There is no new damage to the adjacent imperial structures. However, there are some areas of thick vegetation that will need to be cleared by hand. Sensors are somewhat confounded by unknown factors, but they indicate multiple life signs around the deployment zone - it would appear that we have attracted the attention of some of the locals. As for insertion, it will not be a problem in the bombardment zone. Anything outside this could be more difficult as we cannot pinpoint the exact location of whatever xenos species are down there. If we run into any challenges I can redirect the deep striking units to the homing beacon.”

The silence that followed the report was just long enough to make the deck officer uncomfortable. He was unable to read anything in the Inquisitors impassive face.

“That will be adequate” came the deep baritone of the Inquisitor. “Prepare for insertion.”

Inquisitor (deep strike unit and/or flyers only) vs Xenos, 1500 points.

Set up. Impact craters dominate a 24” diameter circle in the centre of the table. This forms the deployment zone for the Inquisitor. Scattered around this are ten basic jungle features. Outside of this are three ruins and more jungle features (rocky). A homing beacon is placed in the centre of the table.

Deployment. The Xenos player sets up his units using hidden deployment rules (place a numbered marker for each unit) anywhere outside the 24” circle. The inquisitor then deploys numbered markers to represent his deep striking units. He may deep strike units outside his deployment zone. For units deployed outside the deployment zone roll a scatter dice and 2d6 to see where the marker is placed. If the marker lands in impassable terrain or on top of another marker, move the deep strike marker in the direction of the scatter arrow so that is three inches past the obstacle/marker. If the deep strike marker lands off the table, that unit is lost.

The Xenos player deploys his units first. If a deep strike marker is covered when a unit is deployed, the marker is removed and placed in the inquisitors deployment zone within three inches of the homing beacon. The inquisitor takes first turn by deploying his units. Place the first model in the unit on the marker and then place any subsequent models in a ring around the first model. Ignore the 9” restriction regarding proximity to enemy units. This counts as moving, but units can shoot, advance, assault etc. If any models deploy within an inch of the enemy, this counts as an assault with neither side having the opportunity to shoot or perform over watch.

Game length: Six turns.

Victory conditions. Victory points. The Xenos player scores ten VP if he assaults the homing beacon (which will destroy it) without being in contact with an enemy unit. The Inquisitor scores one VP for each jungle feature surrounding the deployment zone that is cleared (up to a maximum of ten).

Victory points are also awarded for destroying enemy units. One VP is awarded for destroyed units for each hundred points or part thereof. For example, one VP is scored for units worth up to 100 points, two VP for units worth 101-200 pts etc.

Any units (up to a maximum of two) that control the homing beacon at the end of the game counts as controlling an objective for the purpose of experience.

Victory. If the Inquisitor wins the game, destroyed units add one to their roll to see if they are available for the next game. Additionally, they subtract one from the d3 roll for losing experience.

The price of failure. The Xenos player can choose an appropriate character design upgrade for one of his surviving characters. This character may be used in subsequent battles until he/she/it is destroyed.

1.1 Secure the Landing Pad
The copilot turned to the Inquisitor behind him. The transporter roared and lurched erratically as it descended through the upper atmosphere of the jungle world but neither man flinched. The copilot was experienced in this sort of endeavour. Apparently the Inquisitor was also.

“Touch down in three minutes. As soon as your squads are out, we will take off again. I don’t know who has been maintaining the landing pads on this planet. It’s been at least a hundred years since the Imperium left.” He paused a moment as if inviting the Inquisitor to comment. A short time later the copilot continued, “With all these birds in the sky you can be certain that someone has heard us coming.” He nodded towards the east where several more transporters were speeding away towards more distant landing pads. He waved his hand in the direction of the pilot. “Signal us when you have secured the area and we will bring in the heavy gear. Touch down in two.”

Inquisitor (infantry and/or flyers) vs Xenos, 1500 points.

Set up. The landing pad is placed in the centre of the table, parallel to the long board edge. Two tall ruins are placed, one at each short end of the table approximately 12 inches in from the table edge. The rest of the table is overgrown with jungle. The landing pad and the two ruins are the objectives

Victory conditions. Control at least two objectives.

Deployment. The Inquisitor’s units start on the landing pad as the transporter leaves (with the exception of the “first” unit, which is kept off table. This unit is in the hatch, making its way down to the exit). Units may be placed anywhere on the pad and will leave the pad via the hatch and the doorway at the base of the structure (except for units with the fly key word - they can fly off the edge of the pad). The Inquisitor numbers his non flyer units in the order that he wishes them to leave the pad. Some of them may get to do so in Pre-game turns.

In Pre-game turn one the first unit takes a regular turn ie can move, advance, shoot etc using the normal rules. The second unit is removed from the table as it moves into the exit hatch. All other units can take regular turns ie flyers can leave the landing pad. At the end of the turn roll a d6. On a 2+ there is a Pre-game turn two. You may spend a command point to add one to the dice roll. If you roll a one, the regular game starts.

Pre-game turn two follows the same sequence as Pre-game turn one except that a 3+ is required to have a third Pre-game turn etc.

Xenos takes first turn. Roll a d6 for each unit. They move onto a random table edge on a 4+. Roll a scatter dice in the centre of the landing pad to determine which table edge the unit arrives on.

Game length. Six turns.

Victory. If the Inquisitor wins the game, destroyed units add one to their roll to see if they are available for the next game. Additionally, they subtract one from the d3 roll for losing experience.

The price of failure. The Xenos player can choose an appropriate character design upgrade for one of his surviving characters. This character may be used in subsequent battles until he/she/it is destroyed.

Thanks for reading and promise some photos of our next game in my next post. Feel free to ask any questions if something isn't clear.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
BIG
post Feb 6 2020, 08:26 AM
Post #451

Hi all, another update, may seem like I am motivated or something.

I know I promised photos of our first campaign game, but before we get to them just wanted to show these:

IPB ImageIPB Image
These are the photos of the Vox Operators that I added to the Veteran squads of my Astra Militarum (well added bits to already existing models that is). Figured that since Veterans can have them and I want to use them I had to better represent them. I think the heavy dish on the Grenadier Vets and the lighter whip aerials on the Forward Sentries works quite well and makes it obvious to my opponent who the valuable targets are.....

IPB ImageIPB Image
Also, here is the new Enginseer and his Servitor bodyguards. I can't claim the paint job, a very dear friend of mine who I know isn't active in the hobby but still has bits and pieces lying around did this guy a while ago. I recently asked if he had an Enginseer that I could buy off him for my Imperial Guard (as I wanted to expand the points total and it fitted into an army with so many vehicles). He said that he was happy to donate it to the cause.

As I think the paint job stands up quite well I have left it intact (I did apply a single wash of Agrax Earthshade to better blend the colours) as a tribute to him. May even expand the colours to be the scheme of my own Adeptus Mechanicus when I do that army.

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
korocite
post Feb 6 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #452

Group Icon

Looking good. I have been feeling a bit flat and uninspired to paint much of late, but this has given me the motivation to get cracking again. Tasetus has turned out well - very much the single minded puritan.

I am also impressed with your 10,000 step challenge. It is a worthy goal that I don't think I get close to myself.

Steve
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Feb 7 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #453

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,113

That Space Wolf pred looks awesome! It actually looks cell shaded, like it drove right out of Borderlands.

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
+Quote Post
BIG
post Feb 10 2020, 07:59 AM
Post #454

Greetings again all,

First of all, thanks to those of you still floating around and making comment, I really appreciate it.

Now, I have promised photos of our first campaign battle and here they are (lots of photos so bear with me):

IPB Image
As per the Campaign rules I posted previously, this is going to be a dense jungle world. You can see the table laid out. My forces had to completely set up on the Landing Pad, a bit of a tight squeeze. The enemy is yet to make themselves known.....

I had gone with a combined Iron Hands/Astra Militarum force (with a little help from the Imperial Navy!) my opponents although not on the table to begin with left there traitorous finger prints all over the pad with the black and yellow hazard stripes and the number four everywhere......

I had a random number of turns to send units down off the landing pad before the enemy started to respond to my presence. I got two turns of this "free" movement. I tried to use a command point to extend this, but in what was going to become a trend for the game it failed (I am not sure I was successful in any rerolls provided by CP the entire game.

IPB Image
As you can see, a bit of a crowd. All this amazing terrain has been put together by my gaming buddy. He has some serious skills. I was restricted by no vehicles as my forces were deploying from landing craft onto the pad as the trees may insertion directly onto the planet difficult. I had the concession that I could stuff a thunderfire cannon in. It proved invaluable.

IPB Image
See those grenade launcher veterans? Utterly lethal.....they ended up being unit of the battle. Who would have thought. You may see a few unusual characters floating among the mass. Tasetus had yet to be finished painting at this stage so his understudy took his place for this battle as it didn't feel right that the driving force behind this crusade wasn't in the first battle. A few of his cronies (also not 100% painted sorry) were running around as well.

IPB Image
An ominous portent for the Imperials perhaps?

IPB Image
This is just before we began the game. I had one combat squad of Iron Hands Tactical marines "inside" the landing pad, making their way down to the exit.

IPB Image
The first unit with boots on the ground. These guys got a good head start as any unit out of the Pad during the free movement phases also got to move. They headed for the ruin on the left to see what they could find.

IPB Image
The second unit out of the landing pad was a plucky unit of Veterans, since there are three flamers in this unit I thought it useful to get them into the jungle early as they would be able to clear some of the undergrowth if I needed it.

Since the enemy could appear randomly on any of the four table edges I really didn't know which direction I should be heading. But I knew I could search the ruins for information on the STC fragments, so I used that as my initial goal.

IPB Image
My plan was to get the flamers and close range weapons (meltaguns) onto the ground and leave the longer ranged weapons up on the platform to provide covering fire. I just hoped that I would have enough boots on the ground when the inevitable assaults began.

IPB Image
Hold on! Enemy sighted! The Iron Warriors begin to show up to see who is using their landing pad uninvited. You can make out the forms of their Warlord and a Warp Smith. Seems appropriate they are the first to arrive.

IPB Image
But have my faithful Guardsman seen them yet?

IPB Image
What? More of them? With the random arrival (and random table edge) of the Iron Warriors and their reinforcements it was quite hard from my opponent to have a solid strategy until he saw what he had to work with. These Marines had the fortune to show up right next to my combat squad, was going to get bloody very quickly.

Also a shout out to not only does he do great terrain, look at how good a paint job his models have.

IPB Image
This is a shot of where the game "officially" started. I had two units on the ground and although I didn't get a wide shot about half of the Iron Warriors showed up for the first turn. I got quite lucky with my opponents rolls and none of the terminators and most of the Havocs decided to be late to the party.

Most of his forces also were concentrated on the right hand side of the table, I decided that since I needed to control two out of the three objectives to score a win I would divert my forces towards the weaker side of the table. Let him then have to break cover and come at me from the right.

IPB Image
My shooting in the early stages was pretty good, with the vantage points of the landing pad I was able to avoid my opponents attempts to hide (plus the Thunderfire Cannon helped there). I started to clear the platform and more bodies got onto the ground and I kept up with the plan to concentrate on the left hand side of the board.

IPB Image
I was pretty concerned when the Dreadnoughts started to show up, I usually depend on tanks and my own Dreadnoughts for anti tank with these two armies so felt a little naked against them. Initially at least.
You can just see in the bottom left of this photo a Basilisk. We are both of a vintage where Iron Warriors were able to take them in there armies and I have no problems with my opponent doing this in our games. Love the storyline of it, they are siege specialists after all.

Perhaps wasn't so fond of it as it started to lob shells at my rather exposed forces trying to get off the landing pad.

IPB Image
My gunline has pushed to the right to start shooting at the Iron Warriors approaching from that direction. Specialist Murdoch (my Guard Officer) is showing his worth barking orders at his men to keep up the shooting even as two units of Havocs start to cause serious trouble from the right hand ruins.

IPB Image
And as fate would have it, what had looked like a weaker flank suddenly got some reinforcements, another dreadnought appeared smack bang in the middle of the long board edge and an immediate threat as well as yet more Havocs and Marines piled onto the left. At this stage I decided to rethink my tactics and began to withdraw my troops from the left and began the slog towards the right which now seemed like the better of the two.

But, the game was into its third turn by now, would I have enough time to get over there and push the Iron Warriors off the right hand ruins? Plus what about those bloody dreadnoughts?

IPB Image
Well I also had an ace up my sleeve (as it turned out probably over powered aces) in the form of a pair of Thunderbolts. Emperor bless the Imperial Navy. We decided that due to the jungle cover that the chances of air cover being useful would be slim, but this was one of the scenarios where it could be used. So since i picked these up recently from a friend who had no use for them (they do need some TLC that I will get to in the future) I would give them some table time.

They swooped in and began to make themselves known almost immediately. Although the minimum movement rate and limited turns certainly meant after their first glorious and horrifically effective first couple of turns it took a while to get them back into the action.

IPB Image
That Basilisk was all sorts of annoying and was winning the duel with the Thunderfire Cannon, where do you think the Imperial Navy is being directed......

My Iron Father is off the board currently as he is inside the landing pad making his way down. I had little in the way of assault skills and I felt he was going to be needed, so he abandoned his search for STC material on the Pad, leaving it to the Tech Priest and Thunderfire Gunner and prepared to engage the enemy.

IPB Image
As you can see I had managed to thin out the right hand side of the board, so if I could get some soldiers over to that ruin I was in with a chance.

You can see in the background a lonely drop pod. One of the few chances of this campaign where it will be clear enough to use one. I had an Ironclad inside (yep we are happy to use regular drop pods to carry dreadnoughts, but we play it as a dreadnought pod so it has no weapons and is a little more expensive).

IPB Image
The Ironclad was really only in the army as a distraction/road block and he served it admirably as his pad crashed down onto the battlefield. He hopped out, unloaded his weapons (at least the ones he was in range to fire) and pulled off an amazing above average charged and smashed into this Chaos Marine squad. It was all going so well, until he fluffed his attacks and only squashed two Marines....then I realized that I couldn't single out the Powerfist wielding Aspiring Champion and I became very concerned.

In hindsight, I should have had him deploy behind his pod and hang out near the ruins on the left acting as a major deterrent for anything trying to come around the Pod. That way he may have been even more useful in slowing down the Iron Warriors than he was.

But, it was spectacular and fun to watch the wrecking ball in action. I would like to apologize to the Iron Council and all Iron Fathers present for the wasteful nature with which I treated the poor Ironclad and hope that it can be salvaged and repaired for the Campaign to come.

IPB Image
The Iron Warriors climb over the hills looking for better vantage points for their guns. I was fortunate that this side of the board really didn't offer much in the way of firing corridors. So they pretty much just cheered on their brother in the melee with the Ironclad for a couple of turns as they negotiated the difficult terrain.

IPB Image
Although they did put a few shots at the rapidly disappearing Thunderbolt that had incinerated one of their dreadnoughts.

IPB Image
It is largely obscured by the Thunderbolt, but I had drawn my forces around the Iron Warriors dreadnought to make sure that I had overwhelming firepower to make sure it went away. Then the plan was to send all of these bodies over to the right hand ruin to claim victory!

IPB Image
What had started out as the far stronger flank for my opponent had been whittled down to a few Marines (plus a Lord and Warpsmith) hunkering down in the ruins. It was here that I was going to send the bulk of my forces.

IPB Image
Every turn brought more casualties, although it was slow going as the cover and armour of the Iron Warriors was proving a problem and the game was running out, the 4th Legion had moved into the left hand ruin as well and I was going to need the random game length to be on my side.

IPB Image
It is REALLY hard to convince space marines that they should die when in cover. Really hard.

IPB Image
My Iron Father and the Iron Warriors Lord begin a game of cat and mouse. I wasn't sure my Iron Father could best him, but I had to do something.

IPB Image
At this stage if the game kept going I was confidant for the win, but the dice could turn so easily. I was also very, very lucky as the Iron Warriors still had a unit of Terminators that had not shown up. If they had arrived on the right side I would have been sunk.

Fortune favoured the Emperor's faithful as they arrived on the far left and really couldn't affect the game much.

IPB Image
Which was good for me as late stages of the game I was never going to push these guys from the left hand ruins. You can just catch a glimpse of the Terminators as they consoled themselves with smashing the drop pod to pieces. Although it did take them two turns.....take that! Pity it didn't explode and take a few of them with it.

IPB Image
Babysitting the turn marker.

IPB Image
The corridor of broken dreams? My Iron Father faces off against the lord down what once would have been a nice archway.

IPB Image
I hoped that he had enough tricks to survive. But the Lord had already shrugged off a lot of wounds and the fleshmetal kept on re-knitting itself.

IPB Image
This crazy Thunderbolt pilot instead of disengaging decided to try and thin out the Havocs holding the left had ruins. His soul is with the Emperor now......

IPB Image
As you can see the landing pad is fairly empty now, with everyone either on the ground or lying dead from the sustained heavy weapon fire of the Havocs.

IPB Image
In an interesting move, the Chaos Lord bypasses my Iron Father (the coward) and makes a move to the squishier Guardsman he is trying to cover. But I have faith I have enough bodies left that he will choke on at least one of them? Right?

IPB Image
Whilst the Chaos Lord is distracted by Guardsman, some Iron Hands tactical marines begin the brutal task of clearing the ruins. Room by bloody room. Grenades people, remember the grenades.

IPB Image
The dying stages of the game, I have successfully pushed into and now hold the right hand ruin and the landing pad. I just need the game to end as the Chaos Lord is still munching on Guardsman and the Iron Warrior Terminators are getting worryingly close to the Landing Pad access door.

IPB Image
The surviving Thunderbolt sets up a strafing run to try and slow the Terminators down. It is a parting gift as the game ends on this turn. Victory to the Imperials 2-1.

IPB Image
Having failed to push the invaders off the landing pad and been given a bloody nose the surviving Iron Warriors slink back into the jungles. Will they be seen again in the campaign? I don't know.

So there you have it. A game that saw me see saw from one side of the table to the other as enemy reinforcements kept randomly appearing. It was very tense for a little while and I had some major luck with where my enemies showed up. The Thunderbolts are I think WAY too good (even thought they are a lot of points). But things started to swing in my favour when the Grenade Launcher Veterans reduced a dreadnought to one wound in a single turn (even the lasguns scored some wounds!).

I enjoyed the scenario immensely, although I am keenly aware it was weighted in my favour.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to the next game.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
BIG
post Feb 13 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #455

Greetings all,

Seems we managed to get in another game of the campaign earlier this week. My alliance of Guard and Iron Hands continued their trials and tribulations. The other campaign force is still under the furious attention of the paint brush so will be making their mission one debut in the near future. So my opponent took on the role of the local denizens again (as he did with the Iron Warriors). But first, what was this scenario and how did it tie into the campaign?

2.0 The Splinter
The Techmarine turned to the Inquisitor, "Lord, the thermal imaging is limited, but it does show that the mass is growing. There are definitely more bodies than we saw this time yesterday, though of what species I cannot say. They are still heading in this direction. At the current rate, they will be here in fourteen hours." A red blip flashed an emergency warning on the marines auspex. "Sir, we have a new contact. Sector five, range seven, and closing fast, much smaller than the main body. I don't know where they have come from but they will be here in eight minutes." The Inquisitor simultaneously glanced at the auspex and barked orders to those around him. In a second the atmosphere of industry changed to disciplined panic as fighting units moved to take up defensive positions and support crews moved to make a hasty retreat.

Inquisitor (any units, but those with infiltrate (or equivalent) lose this rule) vs Xenos, 1500 points. See page 221 for Big Guns Never Tire for rules for this scenario, with the changes listed below.

Set up. This game takes place at the landing site from the first scenario. Use the same terrain layout from the first scenario. STC data fragments may be recovered from any imperial structure that has not yet been looted.

Deployment. If the Inquisitor won the first game, he may choose which deployment map is used (p216). Additionally, he may give D3+1 units the infiltrate/concealed positions special rule. If the Inquisitor lost the first scenario, the xenos player chooses the deployment map and the Inquisitor can give D3 units the infiltrate/concealed positions special rule.

So we had a slightly modified Big Guns Never Tire game ahead of us. It was decided that it made more sense to let me use the hidden deployment rules (since I won the previous game) as it made more sense that my army had had time to prepare and conceal their positions.

I decided to take a gamble on my army selection as I was not exactly sure what army I would be facing. Since the scenario rewarded (and penalized) Heavy Support I decided to run with a Spearhead detachment. As many of my Imperial Guard vehicles would be holding the line and covering the retreat of there comrades. As it turned out, 1,500 was more than enough to fit all the Leman Russ and the Basilisk in one list under the watchful gaze of Tank Commander Martinez in his Vanquisher. Now I just needed to wait for the vanguard of the enemy to show up.......

IPB Image
Look familiar? This game is played on the same battlefield as the previous one and my gaming buddy did an amazing job (based off photos) of reconstructing the previous board. I also got to choose the deployment zone and shape for this game (the perks of having a win). Unsurprisingly with this many tanks I chose the to deploy across the short edges to hopefully give me as much time to shoot and not allow a larger force to envelope me.

IPB Image
My deployment, with this much terrain it was difficult to get the tanks all down, but I picked the heavier side for terrain hoping to rob my opponent of as much cover as possible. You can see that my enemy turned out to be Tyranids, some long abandoned swarm by the looks of it, beautifully painted as always.

I included an Aegis defense line as I figured that my forces had had time to build some rudimentary defenses before the Inquisitor decided it was better to withdraw from the area. I included a quad gun, not quite realizing that it has a BS of 5+ that was -1 to hit non-flying units. Let's say even with 8 shots a turn it did nothing. Maybe I was playing it wrong, can it be crewed by someone to improve its ballistic skill? If so, where are the rules that allow that?

And it also really didn't assist my tanks much, except for it takes a fare bit of extra movement to get over the top of it. So that was a plus and it also made sense story line wise that my troops would have started to fortify.

IPB Image
The Tyranids setup all on one side of the table, a seething mass of claws and chitin. I mix of little and big bugs. I was a little concerned with Raveners and a Lictor sitting off table. I knew they could pop up almost anywhere and that worried me.

IPB Image
Commander Martinez sitting behind one of the Demolishers, sizing up how he should command his troops to react to the approaching swarm. I had first turn so I was going to try to hammer the leading big bugs, I figured the Gaunts really were not much of a threat to the tanks so if I could knock out the three Carnifex and Hive Tyrant I would be home and hosed.

IPB Image
My left flank was held by the two Leman Russ Exterminators supported by three Sentinels. The Basilisk sat next to one of the objectives (you can just see the aquila on the pole on the left above some rocks). It turned out that the Basilisk did not move an inch the entire game. This was for two reasons. Firstly to maximize its shooting, but also and more importantly to deny the Raveners and Lictor the ability to pop up behind me.

You see I am beginning to get this game a little and new that they had to be more than 9" away when they arrived, so I carefully position the Basilisk so that it stopped anything deploying in the left hand corner. If I hadn't done this I would have had to deal with 'nids in the back field very early on.

IPB Image
You can see the second objective marker (Tyranid remains in a jar) collected by Tasetus while exploring the planet after the initial landing. Maybe why this swarm got all riled up?

IPB Image
The only infantry to be included in the army. My Techpriest and his servitors. I figured he requested to stay behind to tend the tanks and continue the search for the STC information that may be in the ruins. He spent most of the game searching, but unfortunately he found no further traces. He was lent a Chimera to make sure he could keep up with the tanks when they rejoined the rest of the army. If they successfully held these Tyranids back that is.

IPB Image
The Tyranid deployment was really tight and it looked quite formidable. I had thought they would spread out across the board in an effort to overwhelm my entire line in one go. I was not actually prepared for this hammer blow setup. In the end I think it really played into my hands......

IPB Image
Of the four objectives, this was the only one placed outside my deployment zone. I hope it isn't a sign of more bugs infecting the planet. With the other three objectives in my deployment zone it was pretty obvious my enemy was going to come straight at me.

IPB Image
And this is when the game started to go down hill for me. I was all set for first turn and felt really confident that I had set up well and my army had the upper hand. Then my opponent rolled a '6' to seize the initiative and that sinking feeling set in again. Almost all of the action took place in my deployment zone, apart from one cheeky break out on my left flank.

IPB Image
I used my Sentinels scout moves to retreat with the ones directly in front of the swarm and the ones on the left began to advance to hopefully distract the oncoming bugs. Plus I wanted to try and be in a position to score the line breaker objective too.

The bugs with little to know ranged weapons did what they did best and advanced. Rolling almost exclusively 5's and 6's that sinking feeling got worse. Then it got even worse when preparing to open fire for the first time I learnt that the Carnifex's all had spore clouds meaning that I needed 5's to hit them from my faithful tanks!

IPB Image
The bugs quickly closed the distance and I slowly backed my tanks up and kept my discipline and shot at the big bugs, although the Basilisk took a couple of pot shots at the Hormagaunts to try to reduce that unit of 30 which it did admirably.

I did need to do some careful redeploying as I had blocked the Tank Commanders lines of sight with the Demolishers, I really needed his extra ballistic skill in the battle.

IPB Image
My left hand Sentinels made great progress down the board and were able to really be a nuisance. Nine x strength six shots every turn is quite annoying to the opponent, but he didn't fall for it and no troops were diverted to chase them so my plan here had failed.

IPB Image
The other thing I have learnt to do is to have "layers" of troops, here you can see the Sentinels screening the tanks. I did have them fall back right next to the Leman Russ as I had a special surprise for when the swarm got closer and I needed that space in front of them clear.

IPB Image
The far side had the small bugs, Hive Tyrant and a Carnifex and a pair of Carnifex approached under the landing pad (you can see them hiding in the Shadows). I hammered one of these two and it was badly hurt as it got closer. The Hive Tyrant despite my best efforts and a HEAP of shots was going well, its Tyrant Guard and saving throws protecting it from the majority of the firepower leveled against it.

IPB Image
The one with the dice on its back had four wounds at this stage and the other one was unhurt. They sure can soak up a lot of firepower, those Spore Clouds are tremendous value.

IPB Image
Apart from losing Hormagaunts and some Tyrant Guard the right flank comes on largely intact. I am seriously worried at this point. They threaten to overwhelm me and once I get stuck in close combat I really have no way of getting out of it.

IPB Image
Since I prevented the Raveners and Lictor from appearing somewhere really useful they decided to turn up and harass my poor Sentinels on the left flank, they didn't want me to score line breaker or threaten the distant objective (which I was planning on doing). I didn't actually capture a photo of the Lictor at all, I swear there was one on the table, they really are sneaky (it turned up two turns after the Raveners)......

I did think that the Sentinels could hold for a while, they are pretty tough and these bugs really weren't equipped well to deal with even light armor. As the Raveners charged my faithful Sentinels (I really love my chicken walkers) open fire with absolute dead eye precision and the overwatch felled one of the Raveners! This must have taken the wind out of their sails as they also failed the charge to boot.

IPB Image
I can just imagine them thinking how to get the tasty meat out of that armored shell......

I diverted the attention of the "Commissar" Exterminator (black one at the bottom of the table) towards the Ravenors and Lictor, didn't want to risk them running amok if they did get through the Sentinels.

IPB Image
The Sentinels backed up and combined with the distant Exterminator wiped out another three Raveners, I knew they were still going to come at the Sentinels, but with only two of them I really thought they would be kicked to death.

IPB Image
But whilst I was distracted with the Raveners, it seemed one of the Carnifexes had finally breached my line and managed to roll over the Aegis. But the Demolishers began to line up their shots as there Tank Commanders steely words settled their nerves. Besides, they had seen to it the other one hadn't managed to reach the walls and this one was obviously badly wounded now too.

IPB Image
Besides, if they failed I had plenty of other willing shots lined up......this side of the battlefield was mine, the two Carnifexes had been stopped and the Lictors and Raveners were but a nuisance, the game was going to be decided on my right flank. There I was in real trouble of being overwhelmed.

IPB Image
With the turn count starting to add up, I knew in true Guard fashion I just need to win the attrition and to that end as soon as the swarm reached my deployment I sprung the first of my delaying tactics. The sturdy frame of my Chimera, expertly converted to carry two heavy flamers rumbled from behind the ruins to block the only clear path forward, unleashing two great streams of burning prmethium it set the Hormagaunts alight and another eight of them went down. Not content with this the driver gunned the engine and with tracks grinding he smashed into the brood managing to squash another two!

Far more than I had hoped for and more importantly forcing the swarm to destroy the tank or divert to go through the heavy foliage which would slow them down considerably.

IPB Image
The Hive Tyrant obviously frustrated that its progress had been slowed down pushed its way forward and it tore the armored sides from the Chimera. Its valiant crew will be remembered. They bought me another turn with their sacrifice, I hoped it would be enough.

IPB Image
At this stage of the game I was starting to get a little more confident. I still held three objectives, I had first blood and linebreaker and was in a position to contest the fourth objective that was loosely held by some Termagants that didn't have Synapse support......but I knew that it was going to be a brutal finish as the Hive Tyrant and Carnifex on the right were unharmed and my tanks were running out of room to reverse.

IPB Image
Having failed to kill the last two Raveners the Sentinels prepare to charge in and try to kick it to death, the Leman Russ moves to support the right flank. This is when the Lictor arrived to try to help the last of the Raveners. It managed to charge in and damage a Sentinel, but I killed the last Ravener, then in my turn I fell back and the Commissar Exterminator turned all its guns to bear and even its chameleon abilities weren't enough. Lictors I think need to be way tougher......

IPB Image
With the Chimera out of the way (I had hoped it would explode) the Swarm advanced again, but a hopefully fatal move occurred and the Hive Tyrant moved away from its Tyrant Guard, I really pounced on this opportunity and gave it everything I could (I wanted Slay the Warlord). But alas, a flurry of Command Points from both sides were spent and after the dust settled the Tyrant still stood with four wounds left. It would almost remain that way until the end. I just could topple the beast.

IPB Image
I tired the same tactic of delaying with the valiant Sentinels, they moved forward to bear the brunt of the Tyranids charge and they did rather well. Until the Hive Tyrant flexed its might and they quickly fell apart. But in a parting act of spite two of the Sentinels exploded! They put wounds on the nearby Carnifex, Warriors and Hormagaunts and the Tyrant, still not enough to kill it though.

IPB Image
I was still confident, my tanks were barely scratched just a wound here and there (as denoted by the markers). I just had to choke up the area and stop them contesting anymore objectives.

IPB Image
The poor Techpriest is finally brought to account, his Servitors had kept up an admirable rate of fire while he look for STC info, but the Carnifex hauled its bulk up to have a tasty snack. But the luck was really with me and although gravely wounded the sacrifice of the Servitors meant the Tech Priest survived another turn.

IPB Image
But only one more as the Tyranid Warriors moved in when the Carnifex had lost interest.....it was fortunately over swiftly, hopefully enough of him remains we can download him into another form.

IPB Image
And the scrum commenced. Four of my Leman Russ were bogged down with bodies, but the Tyranids although scrambling all over them just couldn't seem to cause any significant damage. If the game ended soon I would still pull off a win.

IPB Image
The other Sentinels free of things lurking in the bushes escort one of the Exterminators towards the fourth objective. I was planning if the game kept going to take this one. I was confidant as without synapse control and the fact the tank would override control of the objective that this one would be mine.

IPB Image
One Demolisher fell back preparing a shot for next turn while the Vanquisher begins to take a beating. At this stage I held two objectives to one, with the other being contested. We both had linebreaker and I had first blood. I just needed the dice to be with me.......

IPB Image
And they were! It was pretty scrappy at the end and another turn may have been a different story, but this day lies with the might of the Astra Militarum. Hooray.

In the wash up I was surprised by how few casualties I actually suffered, three Sentinels, a Chimera, four Servitors and a Tech Priest. Not only had the rear guard succeeded they would be able to reinforce the rest of the army in strength.

This game I really felt like I did well, I kept the objectives at the front of mind, deployed well, chose the right targets are the right times and moved sensibly. First time in a long time did I think my plan worked well and I actually executed it. Although that many tanks would be difficult for any Nid army so I felt a little sorry for my opponent.

As it turned out, we forgot the bonus VP for destroying Heavy Support which I did by bagging two Carnifex, so I actually came out on top a little bit easier than I had thought. It was a fun and tense game with some great ups and downs. Next time I think I will be taking the place of the locals and my mate will have his "campaign" army trying to make their way planet side in their first mission. Stay tuned.

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
korocite
post Feb 15 2020, 09:25 AM
Post #456

Group Icon

What a good start to the campaign for Tasetus. Great job putting both these battle reports together. Your photos and descriptions are well done.

In hindsight, I think I should have concentrated on the other flank. This would have forced more of your vehicles to move in order to get line of sight and it would have threatened the basilisk (I do love the enclosed basilisk). Another mistake I made was not leaving enough critters behind to deny you the extra VP from line breaker.

I'm open to suggestions on what to change in my tyranid army to give it some more punch at range. I would swap out a screamer killer for a carnifex with a venom cannon for a start.

Hopefully Dile can make a showing soon as he tries to establish a landing site of his own.

Steve

+Quote Post
BIG
post Feb 16 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #457

I think like so many of the games I have lost (in any tabletop game) deployment can be so utterly critical and I was pretty happy to see you setup on one flank only.

So I don’t think I would alter the army too much (tanks have always been traditionally difficult for Tyranids to deal with). It was a bad match up from the start.

If I was to add anything to your Nids it would be biovores or is it the Exocrine? Long range harassing firepower so you can cause some distractions. Then I would have needed to divert some firepower away from your main swarm.

Can’t wait to see Dial and his forces. I think their landing site may have attracted the attention of something green that loves explosions....

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 21 22 23
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2020 - 10:24 PM