> Admonitions of a Suss Sufferer: Mark 2, all about Mark 3
Angry_Norway
post Dec 19 2018, 02:16 PM
Post #661

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,012

Game 383 - Jaga Jaga1 (WWfF) vs Lucas1 (MO) - Stub
Mirage

Forgot photo and played with the same strategic oversight as the Dodo high command, so this can be a shorty. Also I'm super keen to try some Disciples of Agony and put down Arkadius/crap second list for a bit. Why have one bad list when I can double down? Gia is such a bitch, this seson can't end well for her. Anything but V, loathe that person.

Threw down Mirage because it feels like I haven't played it for a while. Lost first turn, Lucas has a pair of chew chew trains. I get super gravitated on teh idea that the Dracodile will blind a train on teh bottom of one, alas it's an ants sex swing pendulum range short and I again do my classic Dracodile move of doing it anyway to hit one of the arc node jacks.

The return on the top of 2 is that the Dracodile gets his by Disintegration and a Dragon arm debuff rocket and straight up evaporates. Damn.

Bottom of 2 Boomies run up and explode with Jaga feat, my thinking is that I'll kill a train, hold up the other one, hide the piggies behind the obstruction and hope for a Ghostly assassination.

I don't even maange to pop the train alas, the efaarits roll low and the lsit just can't handle losing the Dracodile trivially at all. Gun lines bad for Jaga, which I knew intellectually and now also in my broken spirit.

Top of 3, one of the lights moves up and crit knockdowns the Bullsnappers, allowing Lucas to use the whatsit Force spell to push Greygore into Jaga. A few more pew pews from feating and down she goes.

Kinda reminds me of why I wanted Barny2 Super Soloing to be worth it. Alas. Should probably also move beyond the Skorne Gargs, but dammit, I assembled that godforsaken Hydra, I'm going to put it on the table. Or Nemo3. Or Minion unit spam.

I'm so decisive I could be an Aussie political party working out its leadership.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post Dec 20 2018, 09:40 AM
Post #662

Member No.: 4,171

Affie or, like, Batesy running the Merc pair that got first?

Interesting that you had a Minion-off on one of the two top-tables. smile.gif

You got lists sorted for Cancon yet?

--------------------
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Dec 20 2018, 09:42 AM
Post #663

QUOTE(Master Chris @ Dec 20 2018, 09:40 AM) *

Affie or, like, Batesy running the Merc pair that got first?

Interesting that you had a Minion-off on one of the two top-tables. smile.gif

You got lists sorted for Cancon yet?

Affie and god no
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Dec 28 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #664

Game 384 - Naaresh1 (DoA) vs Deneghra1 (BI) - 50 points
Invasion

If your going to use board games to infer a global conspiracy of supreme evil, whatever, I'll listen for the laugh. When your choices of games are Risk and Monopoly though....your board game nights must be ######e.

This time around it's time to finally bust out something different, yet still with a bunch of Averagions (Not really playing well enough at the moment for the usual "win" prefix).

There's a Hydra because dammit I want to play with it. Naaresh because the Morghoul list was more models and thus more work.

50 points is weird list making wise, you basically don't have any room for wasted models. Or you could just take your 75 point list and cut out a bunch of stuff, more on that later.

Dammit, go away spell editing advertising. If I have no mistakes that's a sign that I've been kidnapped.

Denny1 with jacks. Hmmm.....probably don't have enough heavy hitting on my end? Then again they armour values are mostly trash. We'll see. Also Aikios with a pair of Stalkers, so that stuff just has to die.

I lose the die roll, get given first. This means Denny gets a foresty fortress to hide behind, so that's disappointing for the poor dream of spraying her to death. Otherwise major terrain is a central fog bank and an obstruction in the right zone, plus some other stuff that doesn't end up having an effect.

Some proxies here, plus my Naaresh is unpainted, for I am the worst. Got some Steelhead Halberdiers around as paingivers and Cephalyx dudes as Taskmasters. Enemy Ogrun mechanic dudes are repped by three bonejacks.

IPB Image
Round 1: Hydra runs up the centre, Shamblers go up each side. Lamentation is up, Blur is on the Hydra.

Aikos and Stalkers are out on the left, the jacks super far forward and hiding behind a forest, mini-caster fella behind the wall. The Heavy Cryx jacks dive up evenly with Deathjack-jack-jacky on the right toeing behind the obstruction. One Arcnode goes goes central, the other wings out on the right near the Ogrun bois.

IPB Image
Skorne 2: Most stuff purposely stayed out of Hydra advance and spray range. Boo. Aikiasoi (Whatever his name is) is half an inch out.

There's a country song with basically the biggest hit makers in it (AFAIK, I don't know the genre). Each start of the verse basically goes:
Willy Nelson - "I was a Highwaymen..."
Wayon Jennings - "I was a Sailor..."
Kris Kristofferson - "I was a Dam Builder..."
Johnny Cash - ###### ya'll, dream bigger. "I FLY A STARSHIP...."
Cracks me up.

It's basically time to futz around and brace for impact. Naaresh shuffles to the bottom of the central zone and feats, the Hydra going to toe the left zone while a Bone Swarm moves up in threat range of Cryx heavies to try to draw them in. Shamblers run around on the left and right to engage stuff.

IPB Image
Cryx 2: Leftwise, Aioky goes behind the forest, the Stalkers have a go at coming in, a Shambler gets a freak freestrike on one and takes out an arm and a cortex, so that was a glorious surprise. The second goes into the bounce swarm and bounces off its pot provided corpses and Naaresh feat, Shambler spacing saving the pot and Bokor from being sniped out. An Arc Node runs behind the wall.

Centrally a Seether comes forward and eats the Boneswarm offering. Alas poor bone pile, we hardly knew you.

Lamentation stops Denny and Deathjack playing around, instead she stays behind her forest and the disc spinner ate some Shamblers.

Still very much in the threat range dance game, ergo no ones scoring in this scenario at this point.

IPB Image
Skorne 3: Top of 3 and no scores, so priority is start getting some points on the board. Certainly don't have enough pieces to carry out much an attrition struggle, not with Crippling Grasp and Withering on the board.

Left wise the Bokor burns most of his available swampy zombie henchfellas to kill one of the Stalkers, this frees up a Bone Swarm to walk through the forest and eat Aikaoiseousifer.
The paingivers walk around, one toes the central zone to see if the Seether will counter charge and let the Hydra eat it without DJ or the other Seether coming in. Sadly obvious trap is obvious, so the Hydra toes back a little (Here's hoping a single Seether doesn't kill the Gargantuan....eep.....'ol Hydie then sprays down the arc node that was the last contesting piece on the left zone.
Ingeniously no unit can get into that zone, so Naaresh hikes up his dress and runs to the left (Not judging, nothing wrong with enjoying a breeze around ye nethers).

Rightwise the Taskmaster moves up and gives the right Shamblers a motivational speech that improves their strength (A pic of a cat clutching a branch with the words "hold on" is the real form of steroid).
Bokor goes into DJ, somewhat embarrasses himself, knocking out one arm. In the midst of loads of repair dudes. Not my greatest plan on that one.

I score the left, now 1-0.

IPB Image
Cryx 3: Denny stays bravely cowering behind the forest of protection, pops feat on the Hydra and some bits that don't matter massively.

Sure enough the Seether goes into the Hydra, schlubs it a bit. Ergo only does 2/3rds of his health. Hmmmm. This seems bad.
The other Seether twiddles a bit, not keen to run up and lose the piece trade game.

On the R-r-r-r-r-r-r-riiighhhhht (Can't roll my R's in real life, LET ME HAVE MY FANTASY) the arc node pops the task master, DJ eats the Bokor and gets healed up a bunch.

We both score our circle zone, now 2-1.

IPB Image
Skorne 4: Let the heal off commence!

Paingivers, Naaresh burning some of his stack and hyper regen all trigger on the Hydra, it'll be along road until it can face tank another heavy though. It does eat the Seether,so that was nice.
The remaining Bone swarm moves up to the top of my zone, intent being to threaten the enemy objective.

A Taskmaster runs to my back wall, ready to contest the Cryx side in future turns.

Both score our Squirtles, 3-2. It's all about who can do some throw away contesting in a game of Heavies chicken. Ace in the hole has to be the Spirit Cauldron, who starts moving across with the intent to drag in DJ in a couple rounds.

IPB Image
Cryx 4: The Arc Node shuffles up and kills the Task Master off a lucky scatter. Mean.

Seether charges into the Bone Swarm, sadly doesn't tag the zone to contest. Beats the....unliving...marrow I guess....out of the Bone Swarm. DJ keeps getting dem heals.

Both zones, yada yada, 4-3.

IPB Image
Skorne 5: I have a dream. If the bokor can stationary the top Seether, then Naaresh can do some free attacks and Cyclone retreat. Accept he can't navigate the forest, so that dream was brief at best.

Hydra moves up, sprays down the objective, half cripples the Seether. Naaresh goes in, fails to finish the job. Imph. Cyclones away, freestrike misses.

Now 6-4. You'd think we were playing Spread The Net.

IPB Image
Up to Skorne 7: The sides keep scoring, however the Seether is to crippled to do much, DJ comes in to pop the objective and can't quite get a safe spot with limited clock remaining so the Hydra eats it and Cryx concedes with no viable assassination path (Bokor killed the last Arc Node).

Stuff. Hydra no likey Cryx. Shamblers need friendly bodies. Double pot + one Shamblers + x points of living models probably the best base line Disciple load out.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 29 2019, 11:28 AM
Post #665

Alrighty, lot of stuff going on, reports are going to default to stubs most of the time at this point. Plus I'm doing a lot of screwing around rather than doing good consistent gameplay anyway, so this is a mercy for my future sojourns down vague-recall-past-events-avenue (the memory function of facebook exists so I can delete the #### I used to post).

Game 385 - Morghoul1 (DoA) vs Wurmwood1 (DH)

Thing about Cyclop Shamans is they're pretty neat, it's a pew pew that ignores everything bar stealth. Fix that by throwing in some Mist Speakers. Hmmm.....sure would suck if they missed though. Better add some Cauldrons for Puppet Strings. Add some more Shamans for extra shots. Throw in Blindwalker to arc Torment casting and stop pesky transfers.

All in all the list is a horribly bloated mess relying on a limited attack gimmick.Wurmwood is tough enough to not care about the POW 12's really. The net result being that our stuff ran at each other, I get to kill key components (Shifting Stone, Cassius, Gallows Groves, Lord of the Feast) yet don't have the meat and substance to deal with the Tharn just moving around and attacking whatever is near to them, critically Caul (Or..Bridget? The bigger one of the character duo) ended up just swanning forward and contesting my defensive rectangle and I could do very little about it. Morghoul ran forward with feat desperate to press the issue, ultimately I got easily and quickly scenario'd out.

IPB Image
Just before my last turn, Wurmwood is stuck behind that obstruction. Circle is in proxy heaven.

Game 386 - Durgen1 (Irr) vs Old Witch3 (BitN)

Mid week pick up game! Random Skornio's has failed me, bored of Arkadius for the moment, don't enjoy playing Ossrum. Let's dig out some ......"sweet" trash Mercs.

Conceivably the worst list I've ever made. Durgen. Sylyss. Avalancher. Rockram. Mix of 7 Bunnies. The collection of buddy duos (Herne/Jonne, Aiyanna/Holt, LYNUS/EDREA). Pair of Eliminators to have some models that make sense aside from the Bunnies.

Into Windstorm. Nuts. Old Witch moves up swarms of dudes. Durgen moves up, the Grymkin models are so bunched up the AoE 5 pops.....11 dudes I think? Basically the attrition win is in the bag with that one cast, Bunnies run around Durgen to try to shield him. Grymkin nut out an assassination, which is basically Old Witch Charging Durgen. Kills him to the box with the last available attack.

IPB Image

This list is so trash it doesn't need examination.

Game 387 - Durgen1 (Irr) vs Skarre1 (DI)

The thing about having a follow up game on the same night is that it means you take your trash list and cut it down to 50 points. Into the Carapace Cryx. Hmmm.

Fortunately it had a bunch of not super cheap jacks and Eiryss spent the game disrupting Death Jack, with enough boosted attack rolls on Harmed jacks the attrition game swings my way and that's about it. Durgen still garbage.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jan 31 2019, 07:40 PM
Post #666

Game 388 to 391 - Cancon Masters With Trash mercs (MacBain/Durgen)

It's the big event of the year as we are roasted to death at the arse end of the Earth.

Games! ######ty FOMO buying options! Friends! Escape from the drudgery of our day to day existence as we march to our coffins! A big stack of the underrated Lovecraft Letter!

Mostly felt apathy, haven't been enjoying the games massively of late. Community needs to grow, have sadly determined that I get no joy from teaching and that drive to the game store is more and more not looking worth the resulting activities.

Intent going in is to play some hot garbage MacBain/Durgen (Bored of Arkadius, probably the caster I play best in the current ruleset ['twas Gortenback when he could be thrown by non-Grogspar]), look at some other games to pickup for a couple months and see how I'm going.

MacBain has a Gall-won because I want to sodding use the model. Otherwise double Press Gangers, Alexia1, Aiyanna + Holt, various solos and for no particular reason the Devil's Shadow Mutineers. Well, the reason being I never use the models. Solos are Eiryss1, Kell, Eilish, Hawk. Mostly so I can kill the Hellmouths before I get crushed by Primal Terrors.

Durgen is the same jack heavy crap fest from the previous pair of casual games with him. Also the list that has had games, so it's clearly what I should drop into games. Except it isn't, it's so garbage it might as well be a presidential candidate.

ROUND NUMERO UNO: Just need to draw some scrub like the current me and we'll be sweet.
MacBain vs Sturm and Drang on Standoff

Sod, it's Azahul. Sigh. Time to go down early while on fire. He did a detailed writeup that looks accurate, you can find it at http://lormahordes.freeforums.net/post/126534/thread
The infantry spam ring rust is real, he's dropping a Sturm and Drang that is just so Azahul of Will Work for Food lessers, including Mire with a Dracodile. List basically has shield guards, rough terrain and preventative upkeeps to just keep pounding sand. Getting first lets me jam up, I try for the scenario play alas ultimately the Press Gangers aren't hardy enough and it all crumbles away. There's a few turns of killing pieces alas I drop off on attrition and clock, the end result not really being in doubt after the opening exchanges and the feats being blown.

To the funsies bracket!

ROUND THE SECOND, BEING THAT IT OCCURED AFTER THE 1ST YET BEFORE THE 3RD
MacBain vs Mckay, Epic Pit

I won the roll and nabbed first. Opposing list is pair of trains, the choo choo lady herself, triple Toro, the support artillery stuff, Prospero with an arc node jack.

Importantly, it's not sodding Sylvestro so the upkeeps work. Plan is dodge Purifiers, so everything is slinky (I believe he wasn't in the pairing, other list being....Locke?).

The centre of the board is a yawning expanse of openness aside from a 4 inch cloud template, such that an Agoraphobiac spider wouold shrivel upon itself. There also thankfully isn't anything impeding my travel forward to much and lack of Vulcan means I can live the "feat is relatively usable" dream. Basically what we all hope for with our casters right?

Pressgangers run forward, about four from each unit going into range of the trackless tanks. Thinking being I can lose that many and keep countermeasures useable. Plus they become Risen, which is nice. Alexia hides behind the cloud, Eiryss hides behind a backfield forest with MacBain to ensure safety.
The otherwise blankness of the centre table means the Guard have to be blocked in for hte scenario threat to happen, slowing them down with pot shots is intended towards that end.

Sure enough bottom of 1 involves the Railless putting forward and flinging out some shots, half a dozen Pressgangers almost-willingly give their lives for the cause. The Toros move up in front in a spread of vague Counter Charge overlap fields. McKay throws Return Fire on all the Thomas Engines.

Top of two plan is to feat and jam. There is one fatal flaw in this plan, being that Prospero's little jack has dispel on his attacks so has to be killed.

Pressgangers have to be feated on and run up first, no other way to clear back board positioning. The Toro countercharges were stopped by Risen baiting, the thinking being that a charge probably gives me a good harpoon target.

Gallwon moves up and pew pews the light jack. Does a bunch of damage. Thrall Warrior charges in to finish it off, leaves it on one box.

Balls.

Well, Countermeasure Jam plan is looking bad, Alexia and Eiryss move up to the centre with feat tokens on for the assassination attempt.

Cruci-lames go, Mckay off the bat tries some shots. Is stopped by Countermeasures, so that was nice. She puts Failsafe on Prospero's jack. It had a box of Cortex left, so does a boosted attack roll on a Countermeasured Press Ganger. Misses. Glorious.

That attack roll causes big conniptions. Models jiggle and juggle around, some irrelevant models die yet ultimately the only play of note is a side train bulldozing an Eliminator away to get to the right rectangle that I've foolishly not contested properly, so it kills the objective and scores another point. Whoops. Foolish placement of a Boomhowler Grunt also means I don't score the centre, lack of battlegroup models means the left zone isn't scored. I'm doing so well.

In any event the atrocious scenario play is irrelevant. No shield guards in the opposing list, Eirys is actually in a position to aim and Disruptor bolt McKay, Kell and Press gangers scratch her up, Galleon has max focus and shoots her down to the box. Pretty sure I had MacBain's gun and a charging Thrall Warrior to go.

ROUND MENAGE A TROIS MINUS THE STICKY BITS (But not the fun!)
MacBain vs Magnus2, Invasion

Look, Durgen is just trash alright! Even moreso in the terribad list I made for this event!

Into another Mercs player who is also shunning Ossrum, though I fail to remember the pairing. Whatever it was I very much expected the Maggy2 jack spam drop, Irregulars with double Nomad, three Toros, Eliminators, Gorman, Anastasia, Hutchuck, Aiyanna/Holt. Sodding Unyielding. Oh, Ninja Pig. Knew I was forgetting something.

I think I win the roll and get first? Yeah, that sounds near enough. 50% chance of accuracy or so.

My table side has a trench on the right and some inconvenient water, whereas the enemy Mercies have a small rear forest and a big diagonal one that cuts through half the left zone.

The Galleon lines up to deal with that patch of water. Awkwardly this plonks him in the lane of the large forest which can be used to hide heavies to come whirling in and do some juicy murder on his great landshipness.

My stuff runs up, the Press Ganger units split up on either side of the watery mess. Galleon moves up. MacBain casts Fail Safe on the Galleon, Countermeasures on a Press Ganger unit and Fortune somewhere for giggles.
Devil's Shadow Mutineers go up the left flank. Eliminator unit holds back, they need to be kept safe to please Gandalf and run in on Magnus2's feat to contest as required.

In reply the enemy traitor Mercs (What is this City State madness?!) run up, Eliminators on each flank.
Ninja Pig holds back as the jacks split up in a random assortment. Most noteworthy is that Magnus, Gorman and two of the jacks run in a spread line in that order around the edge of the forest, one Jack in position to stop the Galleon getting to the fella behind him. Escort on Maggy and Bullet Dodger on a random central jack.

Top of 2, I see a pretty good chance to make things hard for the money grubbing enemy (So unlike our polished coin). MacBain opts to feat, so I can't use it to counter Magnus' own iteration, however it ensure I get first opportunity to score on 3 and I'm planning on going hard at this point and trying to ride the momentum from their.

First plan goes marvelously. Galleon walks up, picks up a jack and throws it into his counterpart. Eilish Puppet Strings Eiryss, who then gets in range of Magnus whilst using Gormans Stealth to see through his blocking base. Lands the disruptor bolt, no focus regen for you!

IPB Image

Happy with that. The Devil's Shadow then move up, Zira pops Gorman. Could have just done that first I spose.

On the right, Alexia charges the forward most Toro.
Things do not go well. All the Risen are burnt, think I do half a dozen boxes? Reeeeeallly needed harm, alas he ran up and engaged. Should have fortuned them on turn 1.

Otherwise Press Gangers jam around.

Bottom of 2, Magnus uses his Silly Willy to keep the Escort up and active.

Think that line can stand on its own. Magnus shuffles up and feats, the various Jacks move in and smack stuff down. On the left Hutchuck and Anastasia manage to come in and kill all three Devil's Shadow Mutineers. I lose a few random Press Gangers. No one scores.

Top of 3, feeling pretty good about how things are going for the most part. Magnus' feat is awkward, both deployment zones are picked so my models can only sideways shuffle with the important stuff (Galleon, Alexia, Boomhowler) all under the box of death.

Need to start removing jacks with the Galleon and get rid of the enemy Aiyanna/Hutchuck.

First though it's the convoluted keep-the-momentum-going play.
Step one is Galleon pew pewing, dragging the Nomad in front of it in. The little guns wanted to kill the enemy Eliminator unit and Hutchuck, they fail dismally. Hmmmmm. MacBain shuffles across and Jackhammers the Nomad away.
Not the worst issue, the drag was to allow anther Eiryss shot. First Anastasia has to be removed out of the way, the only viable attack available is Eilish, who walks over and bleeds her to death. Eiryss then stands up and plinks another shot at Magnus, casual 5 to hit and we're looking sweet.......

......it was a 4.

[imghttps://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UqTa6daqPO4/XFK5iTJgcoI/AAAAAAAAUHQ/meYYaR0wfp8AMUpYpavi42M1tGmnLyXMACLcBGAs/s1600/OOTS0090.jpg[/img]

Incidentally, I really like the evolution of OOTS over time in both art and writing. Can clearly see where the author's viewpoints on the world started to change.

Anywho, sure did invest a fair bit in that play. Just couldn't find a way to kill Anastasia and give Puppet Strings out. Someone else that should have had fortune.

On the right Infantry charge Kayazy/Jacks and basically bounce off hard. Oh dear.

No points once more.

Bottom of 3, Galleon gets Harmed and Rusted. It was placed to be relatively safe from Jacks,provided they could be focused buffed. Whoops.
Takes some finagling, ultimately......something happened.
I *think* one jack got in and took out a bit over half health of the Galleon.
Elsewhere bit pieces fight over the zones, Magnus' rightside Eliminators gaining the upper hand. Alexia and Eiryss both get killed, the former by the jack she wailed on poorly, the latter via Juicy Eliminator murder.

The game goes another two rounds, ultiately the Galleon kills another Jack via being 'hammered and shoots down the left enemy Kayazy and my own start contesting the left zone, ultimately another jack goes in and wipes the colossal and my hitting power at that point is far to reduced to deal with the remaining Jacks and Ninja Pig and I'm attritioned out. Great game though, probably the most informative list wise. Also pointed out Press Gangers were only armour 11, so even the weakest of attacks will kill them (POW 6 blast?! RUN FOR THE HILLS!).

ROUND 4: FECES SMEARED ON THE MIRROR

I'm quite conflicted on how to write this one up. Usually when I have a bad time in warmachine I don't bother writing the game, an event that happens with insanely low frequency (Think there's two? It's the ones lacking a report to link to in the opening posts). This one is a little different as the game was fine, though redundant, it was the aftermath that was ####.

Straightforward Report anyway: It's final round and I'm playing the pair down into someone that had no wins. I drop Durgen because he's a pile of garbage, it's going into Butcher3 with 5 odd Khador Jacks and repair bros. Awful matchup for me, he just has to advance appropriately, maybe lose a couple jacks then get engaged up and down I go.

There's a round of Khador advancing and getting shot up. I disrupt the Shield Arms jack and send the Roackram in to try to kill Ruin, he falls short so Alten lands a Grievous Wounds shot to stop the repair at least.

Khador Jacks basically don't move, kill the Roackram. Ruin falls back to a wall to await repairs.
Butcher goes to a stupid spot behind a forest. There's a puppy in front of him, however with a solid 5mm wide path between the puppy and trees.

Pull out the laser, plonk it down and get the line of sight. Aiyanna harms the puppy to get the unit. Eiryss is puppet stringed, moves up and shoots off Butcher focus. Durgen and four odd Bunnies shoot Butcher down.

I'll take it, I'm screwed if I try any other play. Things seem find, abrupt end to to the tourney, it happens.

Opponent then says puppy got bumped and was meant to block line of sight. Didn't announce it when the dog moved, didn't say anything when the laser line went down, not a peep when models moved to interact with it.
I've chewed 30 minutes of clock and moved most of my models. The Avalancher could have aimed and done a boosted 7 to knock the puppy down (Probably should have anyway). I shrug at this point, spit some line about I didn't touch the model and there's not much we can do about it.

Don't get me wrong, not a great response. In hindsight every other opponent got a warning that life hadn't been rosy of late and to pull me up if I was an Arsehole, didn't state that at the beginning of this one, it's a consideration that I don't think impacts.

Khadoran stomps off and whinges to the TO.

That's what gets my goat, you got a problem that's fine. Need space, that's fine. Can't talk to my face about it at any point for three days? Get ######ed mate.

Anyway, sour end note cause adulting is hard and human brain structure rather irritatingly remembers the bad far better than the good. Onto the thing I actually get out of reading these things back, list notes. I never really feel the need to re-examine gameplay (Only took 900 reports to get to that conclusion).

Three great, fun games anyway. MacBain feels close to not sucking, though Devil's Shadow do nothing and you need multiple battlegroup models for scenario play, MacBain isn't a dweeb yet doesn't want to go in swinging unless options are bad. Galleon is a fine model with him, just hoping the Pirate CID makes him cheaper as it's the cost that burns. Not enough hitting power in the list either, struggled against half a dozen unyielding Merc Jacks so one can only wonder what manner of horrible hellscape I enter into if I hit up Armoured Corp or a Troll brick.
Plus Judicators. Things are wonky as at the moment. Had Hawk in it for this tourney thinking I might need it for a Primal Terrors game, never came up and the 'gangers probably are insufficient to the task in any event.

Durgen sucks so hard he could clean up Wall-E's earth in an instant. My list WAS trash admittedly.

Anyway, that was Masters, day 1 of Con-o-Can's is done, happy I played it. Landing 2 Disruptor bolts in the day equals the number of times I did that in all of Mark 2.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 1 2019, 02:13 PM
Post #667

Games 392 to 394, Cancon Teams (3man, 50pts) - MacBain

Second day of sweet con-ness.

Three man team event, it's a cut down version of the WTC format so one side pics tables and one matchup, other side picks two matchups. Tables were hugely impactful this year alas, so that portion didn't really do much (Hence my preference for the Oceanic style of different scenarios, makes life simpler and clearer).

Pretty sure everyone just cut down their 75 point lists to 50's, which doesn't make them ideal but eh, they don't feel like proper size games anyway (At the time of writing Hungerford put out how people felt about making Masters/Champions/SR base 50. Not a fan, though I'd survive if it happened to only one of them).

Our team is shonky Mercs, grey Crucible Guard and Iona/Wurmy Devouring hostiness.

First opposing team is the Colossal Dickheads, as each list had double Colossals or Gargs in it.
Imph. not liking this, the MacBain list already doesn't hit hard enough (Dropped Hawk, Boomhowlers and Mutineers to get down to 50, so no Reville either).

Think they had Menoth, Trolls and.....uh.....definitely a third thingy. Something mundane (Wasn't Crucible, Grymkin, Mercs or Minions).

Regardless, we lose the roll and end up with tables. We put out our Circle as he had one bad matchup, we choose the better match for him then they throw Menoth my way.

Double Judicator with either Kreoss 1 or Kreoss3. Doesn't matter, sod dropping Durgen.

Spread the Net, It's jam and try for scenario time.
My stuff runs forward and I brace. Bottom of 1 Galleon gets shot down by the Judicators. Sigh. Kreoss also feats to knock down most stuff.

I Feat on Alexia/Eiryss/Press Gangers. Sadly this is a list with a Shield Guard solo near Kreoss so no cheap kills.
Kell camps my flag, the Press Gangers jam in. I score early points, alas the Judicators push forward, wind up killing Kell and Eilish (Who was the reserve flag scorer), one manages to get up to my zone. I kill Sevvy 0 while Press Gangers and Risen bounce off the contesting Judy. MacBain ends up trying to go in, rolls abysmally on the opening attacks and camps three, looking awkward.

Judy swing on him, first attack leaves him on handfull of boxes. Second misses, MacBain dodges away.

Got one chance at a long odds victory, as I'm not able to delay quite enough for the clock win.
The Shield Guard was killed earlier, so Eiryss pops out from where she was hiding to knock Kreoss' Fury off, it's down to MacBain energising and popping in ranged attacks. Sadly I'm an inch out from getting some Rift action going. First shot misses and that's all she wrote, MacBain is then easily killed.

Fortunately my team mates carry me and our tim wins! Also, because Nerds suck at organising themselves there's only four teams and it's a round robin affair.

IPB Image

ROUND 2: SOME ABOUT KIWI NYA
Into a team of Kiwi's plus one traitorous aussie. The Kiwi's usually win this thing, so surely this year is perfect for my ineptitude to crop up.

Pretty sure it's Invasion, they have Legion, Circle and...yeah, my memory stops at 2 it would seem. I know I wanted to avoid the Legion, it's an experienced Fyanna player and my current pair feels even more trash into it (Fortune is worst hit buff).

Win the roll, get matchups. I avoid the old Dragon-inions and go into the Aussie Circle.

Circle pairing is Morvhanna1 and Krueger2. My drop obviously wasn't going to change, Morv drops so Mortality is in play. Awkward for feat. Thankfully other than that the only thing present with Grievous is the Gallows.

Morv is in Devouring Host with Brennos, Gorax, an Argus, the cleaving Tharn mans, Blood trackers, various olos, Bridget doing Calls.

Win roll, take first. There's a forest in my centre of mild irritation, Circle get some defensive hills and such. From memory terrain has minimal impact.

My stuff runs up, Press Gangers spreading around like a roo on teh road by the third truck.
MacBain throws out all his buffs, Fortune on Eiryss, Counter Measures on Press Gangers, Failsafe on Galleon, he then walks forward.

I done goofed, a sign of things to come. Opposing list has a Pot that gives corpses to Lord of the feast, who moves up and birds to get to MacBain and Eiryss. Ah. Really should have looked that stuff up. Mmmm.
Eiryss evaporates as though she never was, thankfully MacBain takes sod all damage.
Blood Trackers move forward and shoot down some Press Gangers.
Brennos shuffles up pops out a weird AoE of "can't shoot while in it".

I opt to hold feat until there's merit to it, have to pops the Gallows Grove first. Plans are to kill the Pot and the Gallows grove, gum up the trackers on the right and ignore the Vengeance Tharn with Replenish on them.

MacBain hacks down Lord of the Feast, throws Countermeasures on the right side Press Gangers where it should have gone the turn previous. He chills behind the forest and Galleon.
Galleon trundles up to the left of centre, drags in Brennos and kills him, shoots down the Gallows Grove.

Press Gangers spread out in both side zone, right unit also gets to Shanghai some trackers which felt pretty great.

Lastly Alexia pulls a Thrall out of her magic rabbit hat, it chares the vault. Weaponmaster dice off 8, thinking being I only need to put it down to 3 boxes and Kell can finish it. Or not, the damage roll flatlines. Nuts.

Bottom of 2, the left Tharn come in and kill a few Press Gangers, keen to move up and threaten the Galleon. Morv moves up behind the objective and pops feat. The Blood Trackers on the right struggle somewhat, confounded by Countermeasures slowing up their murder pace.

Top of 3, I'm very well placed for a clock win (42 minutes always feels to tight for 50pt games to me), so it's time to feat to extend the game time. I also have a shonky assassination run on Morvhanna, so why not (Not likely to kill, just aiming for pressure and battlegroup damage).

MacBain feats and falls back, wanting nothing to do with more chances of imminent death.
Galleon shoots the objective, leaving it on 5 boxes and boosting blast on Morv, she never gets into a danger position however the Argus and Gorax take transfer damage a couple times. The Gorax then dies to a few of the rightside Press Gangers charging.

The remaining Eliminator and Kell, both feated, run in front of the Tharn to stop them charging the Galleon (Small units/solos become inefficient and difficult to Mortality). I finally remember Eilish can dispel and shuffle him up to knock off Restoration next turn.

Bottom of 3, the Trackers make some attacks, Morv shuffles somewhere and heals a bit. Bit pieces attack, Circle clock out before the Tharn get to do much.

Another team mate pulled through, so we go on to round 3 with no defeats and only about 17 regrets!

IPB Image

ROUND 3: THE BIRTHDAY BOYS (ACTUAL 100% KIWIS)
It's Mirage. Let their be points! Sort of.

Can't remember the other team make ups beyond their was a Cryx player whom I tragically through myself onto. For the team. he also had two quick assassinations for his previous two rounds, so.....quick games are good yeah?

Spoilers, this is the worst competitive warmachine game I have ever played. Even over that Tas semi-final vs Kallus. Opponent was lovely, nothing dodgy, made a starting early call and it appropaitely burnt me hard.

They've got Denny 2 Jacks and Denny1 Satyxis. I was busy plotting how I play out the infantry matchup, Galleon is a bit useless, have to preserve Alexia above all else. Lots of living bodies at least.

Then Denny 2 drops. Oh. Well. Guess that's happening. I remember the feat (Turning x models incorp) pretty well, so things should be fine. Should I get the spell list? Nah, sod that, I'd remember if it had something meaningfull.Key points in the matchup are keeping MacBain safe from assassination, disrupting Death Jack or an offensively positioned jack each turn and having Alexia positioned to kill anything that tries to come forward whilst incoporeal.

I run my stuff up, I misdeployed the Risen so I lazily leave them as a blob that can't move past the Galleon while Alexia runs up to catch any early deaths that happe to Press Gangers. MacBain stays behind the Galleon, Eiryss shuffles up near the Press Gangers.

Denny has Hellmouth. Arc Nodes run forward, her and Deathjack ping a Press Ganger each to pop both of them.

IPB Image

Quick games a good game I guess.

There's a central forest Denny is hiding behind, only choice I have is to barrel forward and try to kill her. MacBain and the Galleon both move forward, Failsafe up and with the caster surrounded by feated on models.

The Cryx Jacks go into the Galleon, they struggle initially, alas they manage to kill it.
The game actually takes multiple rounds to finish after this, I forgot the Risen mob for a couple rounds so once the Cryx jacks were finished with the Press Gangers the nombies took their place.

MacBain ends up breaking past the forest and getting Handcanon shots on Denny, alas I didn't roll all 6's all the time and she lived then he was trivially killed.

We went down this round alas, inspite of my dubious ability on the day I also technically partook of the 2nd place result.

It was something? The team is composed of those that have to run the con next year, so this is its swan song. At the end of the day I would have preffered to skip this tourney, having team mates makes that hard alas. 50 points can kick the bucket, not having Revielle made my already questionable list not a great choice. Not that any list woiuld help in that final round gameplay.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 5 2019, 12:28 PM
Post #668

Game 396 to 398 - Cancon SR MacBain/Cyphon, 395 footnote

Game 395 is just a footnote of a 25 point Iron Arena smash out. Bizarrely my opponent played Durgen. I had MacBain, so this was quick and awkward (one turn of missed AoE's, then Counter Measured Eliminators run forward). I win on scenario on the top of 3.

A new day dawns, tis our final day. I'd originally signed up for Who's the Boss, watching how much better and easier Caster Draft was the day before plus the associated effort of keeping an updated collection of all the card sleeves plus hassle of sorting out the casters, Who's the Boss should be considered a dead format in my view.

Plus a bunch of people see Master Chris' beaughtiful painted models get put in an open tray with no foam for transport and it makes them sad.

Not wanting my previous days efforts to be the last games I played before I drop off for an uncertain time to recharge, I went into the 3 round Steamroller.

Also modded my lists the night before.

MacBain lost Hawk and the Mutineers, gained a Talon and Sylyss.
Needed a second battlegroup model that can just toe rectangles and score, wanted a Nomad but that was to much work. Sylyss for the upkeep and Jackhammer range. Also makes it 74 points, which is how things are done.

Durgen got dropped like a hot dumpster fire, I pulled together a list I had sitting around from a while ago. Welcome Cyphon, 6 Monstrosities, Overlords, double Eliminators and three Agonisers.

GAME 396 - ROUND 1.....SORT OF.
MacBain vs Lylth1, Epic Pit

Oh god, it's the Kallus1 nightmare from the Tas trip. Cyphon doesn't want a bar of it, here's hoping MacBain finangles something.

Oh....nevermind, it's Lylth1. Children of the Dragon list with double Raptors.

I lose the roll, get second, don't remember the terrain as it doesn't come up.

Lylth and models run up. I countermeasure and feat on Pressgangers/solos, they run up to jam in.
I realise way to late that Eiryss can strip Lylth of Fury, the Galleon killed two Raptors when there's a distinct possibility he could have just moved up and shot her down.

In any event, we both stare at the table at the end of my turn for about 10 minutes, Legion decides they are gooped and that's that. I'll take it!

There was a couple different Legion players saying they were bored of Primal Terrors. Sweet. Could the Ossrum players follow suit? No? Ah well, I didn't try.

GAME 397 - ROUND 2, LET'S GET MEND-OTHED
Cyphon vs Kreoss1, Invasion

Into Se7an, who is one of those fun peeps I wish I could play every tourney.

There was a Kreoss3 list in the pairing, no memory of what it did. Was keen to give Cyphon a go and Countermeasures being Purified was a bad time, so Mustachio man wants nothing to do with that nonsense.

It's Kreoss1 with a Judy, Tristan1 with a Revelator (Say whaaaaaaat), Sevvy0 with a...Redeemer? (Light jack, pew pews way to many times). Choir, shield guard solo.

Basically have to get Wreckers onto the Collosals early or kill Kreoss.

I get first turn, defining terrain piece being a big whack off forest in the left zone on the menoth edge and a wall in the middle of the right zone.

My stuff runs up, Monstrosities spreading a bit with the primary goal of being in Sac Pawn range of Cyphon. Kayazy hang back, Overlrods go extreme left, Agitators move around awkwardly.

Menoth....unpacks in that way all double Colossal lists unpack, which is to say not that much.
Colossals on either side, Kreoss and light jacks go up the guts.
There is one of htose damn Shield Guard solos, so the Subduer murder plan is a little awkward. I threat 13 inch on a Wrecker charge, so the play around as he opens up on the front most Monstrosities is whether or not they survive the non-spray range attacks, in which case Kreoss dies thoroughly.

Alas, one Wrecker is easily killed, the Subduer on the right loses it's movement and gun arm. Hmm.

My second turn, Kreoss is using the objective as a blocker. I try to plot out an assassination run, would basically be the Subduer drags in a light jack then the Wrecker beat backs off it to Kreoss, the math and positioning were both bad so we opt to threaten scenario instead.

One Wrecker runs to the left as do the Overlords. Cyphon trundles sideways and burns a Drudge to do a Breathstealer on the the left Colossal, to get that in the zone it will now have to run or trample.
The damaged Subduer moves up into the right zone, drags in the Redeemer, buys attacks and takes out its gun arm .
Machine Wraith toes the right zone, other Monstrosities huddle near Cyphon.

Menoth on the bottom of 2: Kreoss shuffles up and pops feat, knocks down basically everything aside from Cyphon (Steady) and Ovalrods (To far away).
The Revelator shuffles into the forest, accepting not getting into the left zone to pop an Agitator and blow up the centre Subduer. Judicator shuffles, shoots down the central Wrecker and the right side Subduer. Two Monstrosities remain, so that's not good.
The Judy spray also wings the Redeemer and puts it on one box of Cortex, so I guess I'll take that?

My top of 3. Sod all left, thankfully Kreoss is in a position to potentially die.
He's got lamentation up, so I have one chance at Gallowsing him in. The Warden could get to him, however he's cmaping a bunch and I lack convenient knock down tech at this point.

Burn a Drudge, the Gallows hits.
The winner of the Masters was wondering past, I force a dice in his hand with instructions to roll a 6.
He does.
But not in the sodding tray, foiled by my own rules!
Forunately I get a 5 and hte damage roll burns a focus. There's a nearby Agitator who can stand and cast Instigate, feated Warden goes in boosting his to hit rolls and gets it done trivially. Sweet.

ROUND 3 - LOUDNESS
MacBain vs Gearheart, Spread the Net

By dint of being the packup day it's a three rounder with multiple undefeated, so have to win this one to have a chance. Crucible Guard is unfortunate here, it's the more infantry spamming one with a Vulcan so they can kill ma doodz with relative easy.

IPB Image

My stuffs going to get shot down in droves. The plan is to just run stuff forward and try to cap Gearheart.

That's...certainly what I attempt?

I get second, Crucible Guard run all their stuff forward, Vulcan on the left and the train on the right.
This forces me to pop feat on the bottom of 1, MacBain chill relatively far back as Countermeasured Press Gangers swarm forward. Eiryss and Alexia hide behind the central cloud.

We commence preying.

Top of 2 Crucible Guard procede to light stuff up, killing a stack of non-Countermeasured dudes after using the train to Bulldoze the Counter Measure guys. The Vulcan opts to fall back, in an ideal world it runs forward and gets Jackhammered to death potentially opening other game options (Though I have poor tools at best to deal with the rocketmen). Alas.
The Vulcan pot shot opts to strip healing from Alexia, so she is then trivially shot down.

On my bottom of 2 things are looking a little grim. Loads of dudes dead, poor answers to the Rocketman and the Galleon will get shot down next turn. As expected it's time to hailmary Gearbeart away.

I can get Eiryss and the Galleon on to him, provided MacBain can shoot down a Rocketman Ace. Or UA thingy. Whatever, I needed 13's to hit, I ineptly put Puppet Strong on Eiryss instead of MacBain, still feeling the burn of that miss on Maggy in the Masters.

MacBain shuffles up having allocated two to the Galleon, boosts to hit, misses hard. Awkward. The Rocketman dodes back out of range yet still block the Line of sight, so MacBain has to Energise and try again. Another miss and that's all she wrote.

I futz around a bit trying to get some army points destroyed, think all I manage is a Dragon's Breath Rocket team. It's something.

MacBain is on no camp in the open, he is trivially killed.

Certainly played better than in the Masters, more importantly my roaming adventures to find alternate games yielded poor results for a variety of reasons, so I'll try some Monpoc for a bit. An IG qualifier is coming up end of the month, thinking Cyphon and undecided, probably not MacBain as the odds of Crucible Guard seem too high.

Overall MacBain had random game into things and Eiryss worked far to often, enough to make me ponder assassination builds with other casters. Boomhowler feels both required in the list and not great for the points, with not enough hitting power overall.

The one game with Cyphon was....questionable? Sac Pawn was nice. Need to try again, double Subduer might be better served as Wardens at the moment.
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post Feb 6 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #669

Member No.: 4,171

I could stand to see more macBain!! on the table. That Lylyth1 game sounded amazing (but for all the wrong reasons).

Looking forward to the Pirate CID? If only for a potential Galleon discount?

--------------------
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 6 2019, 03:32 PM
Post #670

QUOTE(Master Chris @ Feb 6 2019, 03:48 PM) *

I could stand to see more macBain!! on the table. That Lylyth1 game sounded amazing (but for all the wrong reasons).

Not the meta for it. Crucible Guard with Vulcans will be common, Menoth being up their also problematic.
It's that awkward "Almost time" thing but not quite, to reliant on both healing and upkeeps. One being an issue would be fine, the double whammy is an issue (Also Sylvestro)

QUOTE(Master Chris @ Feb 6 2019, 03:48 PM) *

Looking forward to the Pirate CID? If only for a potential Galleon discount?

Vaguely, I struggle to care much about any CID until they go live.
+Quote Post

34 Pages V « < 32 33 34
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2019 - 01:42 AM