Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ancients Wargaming
MarkC
post Mar 11 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 1,849

My first foray into wargaming was as a teenager using the WRG 6th ed (3000BC to 1485AD) rules. This was the blue book published in 1980. We couldn't afford to mail order figures (anyone remember money orders), and the only figures locally available were the Airfix Romans and Ancient Britons. As such, we used to just use cardboard counters to represent the units.

Since getting back into gaming over 12 years ago, I've constantly been tempted to get back into Ancients. Sword and Spear is popular on the Coast and in Newcastle, but the most popular system at Cancon was DBA. The basing is compatible so you can use the same models in both systems. Although both systems can use either 15mm or 28mm, 15mm seems to be the more popular system.

DBA has a smaller model count than Sword and Spear, and is meant to play quicker (games under an hour). I thus have decided to start a DBA army. A Roman army from the Punic wars only requires 44 foot and 6 mounted figures. In 15mm metal miniatures that comes to about $60.

Whilst waiting for the models to be delivered I have printed out some paper armies and stuck them to cardboard. (Seems like not much has changed in 35 years).

If anyone is interested in DBA, send me a message.

Regards

Mark C

--------------------
Currently working on:
(ADLG) 15mm Carthaginians

Would play if I had time:
(FoW) Australian Rifle Company (EW/MW): 1500 pts / 200+ pts
(FoW) Deutsches Africa Korps (EW/MW): 1500 pts / 200+ pts
(FoW) Canadian Rifle Company (LW): 1750 pts
(Saga) Vikings

Packed away:
(WFB) 2600+ pts Dwarfs
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 02:56 PM