Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Battle of Piave, Blucher AAR
Captain Darling
post Dec 7 2018, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 14,168

This Blucher AAR is for a game we played dating back to May this year! it covered the Battle of Piave, 8th May 1809 which was fought during the war of the 5th Coalition. It's another scenario from the 'Oldmedrum Wargames Group', these guys scenarios are amongst the best presented I've seen!

The game ended with a French victory but it was bought at great cost as their left was virtually wiped out. These soldiers sacrifice was not in vain as they kept the Austrians attention locked in that area allowing for their plan to develop and the French right to run rampant to secure them victory!

The French left charge the Austrians in and near the town of Barco and get a bloody nose!
IPB Image

The Fench left start the massive task of crossing the Piave, Gouchy's cavalry can already be seen advancing on the town of Cimadolo and the Austrian left flank...
IPB Image

Eugene lead the French centre forward against the Austrians defending the dike pinning them as Grouchy's cavalry ride wantonly behind the Austrian line...
IPB Image

More pictures are on the TSOG Blog...
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/...e-of-piave.html

Cheers!

This post has been edited by Captain Darling: Dec 8 2018, 04:51 AM

--------------------
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gus
post Dec 7 2018, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran III
Member No.: 4,510

Nice stuff there Capt D. Thyansk for posting. Have to research more about Piave as am reading Bowden's (slowly mind you) Armies on the Danube 1809 book and have not yet read about that battle. One day I will refight Aspern-Essling in 15mm (just gotta win lotto first).

May I ask where did you get the Dice Shako from - I really like it.

cheers
G.
+Quote Post
Captain Darling
post Dec 8 2018, 05:43 AM
Post #3

Hey Gus thanks for your comments!

I haven’t read ‘armies on the Danube’ do you recommend it? I’ll Google it for reviews.

The Dice Shako is my own idea. Made with some PCV pipe and some 0.5mm styrene sheet....

WIP picture...
IPB Image

Finished product (my partners the hand model notice her good cuticles and nails)...
IPB Image

Some more pctures are on the TSOG Blog...
http://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com....oerrshaker.html

Cheers!

This post has been edited by Captain Darling: Dec 8 2018, 05:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
post Dec 8 2018, 03:30 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Sweet - thanks for the info. on the shako-erer! Suspect something to have a go at making over Xmas break. What did you use for the plate/badge - foil? Also what did you for the top of the shako-erer - cardboard cut in a circle perhaps?

Regarding Bowden's (and Tarbox) book I really like it but it may be a bit dry for some folks. Lotsof technical details about army makeup etc but a good read with great maps. I picked up a copy 2nd hand on ebay a while back for a reasonable price in Aussie land too. I only wish I got the bigger version with my poor ageing eyesight. I also have his 1805 book (in bigger format) which is also a great read. Would recommend them if you ever get the chance to pick them up.

cheers
+Quote Post
Captain Darling
post Dec 9 2018, 06:46 AM
Post #5

Hey Gus,

Thanks for book details, Googled it too, his Napoleon and Austerlitz 1805-1807 book sounds most interesting to me, I will keep an eye out for that!

Re Dice Shako, I made the top with 1mm styrene sheet and bands/chevrons with 0.5mm styrene. Used 5cm diameter PVC pipe and its 4.5cm high. The 0.5mm bands/chevrons are 5mm wide and the diamond style plate is a 20mm square (detail drawn on then scribed with scalpel then painted brass). Used super glue as it adheres stuff to PVC well. Comfortably fits for up to 5 regular sizes dice made it with 3 in mind.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
post Dec 9 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Thanks for that - great instructions. That would be a good size for black powder (about 5 dice needed max in most games I have played but you could go smaller dice if needed a few more I s'pose). Keen to have acrack at one of then - guess maybe two. One british (stoveepipe not belgic shako) and one for the french.
cheers
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2018 - 01:18 PM