> 3D Printer and SketchUp, Updated: 6 March 2017
b20f08
post Nov 26 2014, 09:37 AM
Post #81

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

As clunky as I find SKUP, I'm going to find another software design application to use to get my 3D modelling results for my 3D printer.

Studio 13A is up and running, folks.

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 6 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #82

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Been a while since I posted here.

Striking a couple of problems that no doubt others have also encountered.

Biggest problem for me is print time. I flipped the object on its side, but it doesn't matter if you have 65 layers or 245 layers, print time seems to stay the same. Or thereabouts.

Thinning the object by making it hollow certainly saves on filament; as long as you choose the right settings the thing won't snap or break apart at the flimsiest accident. Right now, I'm waiting on delivery of two 1 kg rolls of ABS filament so I can complete printing out the project.

Like I said before elsewhere, I won't be showing progress shots until I've printed the entire lot and start placing them on a 2' x 2' battleboard I'm planning to build. So, at the moment, I'm just pissing in the wind for those watching this project with interest.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Mar 6 2017, 02:18 PM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 8 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #83

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Found this. Coming down in price but still pretty expensive. Still....

http://store.3dprintingsystems.com/emblase...cutter-engraver

===============================================
POST EDIT: 12 MARCH
While gaming today I had the printer running. I hadn't changed the filament as I still had a sizeable amount left but the software kept saying it would run out. In the end, I just ignored it as I ran part of the print run and the result was fine. But the next run was a shambles as the printer went spacko and the result was less than desirable. Will post a pic of the result tomorrow. I still have enough to probably run a couple more print runs. I'm sure it's nothing that can't be fixed by cleaning the nozzle which does clutter after a while. This week coming will see the rest of the trench system being printed out. Then I can start assembling the components together and seeing how they fare as a display board, rather than as a battle board. If I like the results, I will make the print files available. Cheers.

POST EDIT: 13 MARCH
The spacko printout.
================================================
POST EDIT: 15 MARCH
Updates and details on the trench system display board in the signature (Modelling & Painting). Been busy printing; it's been a slow process as the pieces vary in print time from over an hour to over three! Going to generate FoGN counters - charge, disordered, wavering, broken counters for a change of pace tonight. The remainder of the trench system will be done tomorrow. Cheers

The configuration for Listening Outpost 41, Rylnn System.
POST EDIT: 16 MARCH
Microsoft 10 comes with 3D Builder which is really handy for sorting out those annoying geometry issues that crop up when you run a check on your design file. It saves you untold grief and frustration by adding this extra step in the production process.

Run your STL file using 3D Builder by simply clicking on the STL file (should default by opening it automatically). You do need to actually IMPORT the file even though the previewer shows the file on your screen.

Once imported, the program will respond with an error message about your geometry not meshing and gives you the option to repair it. Click YES and voila, all fixed. It will default to save the file in 3MF format but simply click SAVE to retain original format.

Now when you open the printer viewer and run a preview, when you select FIX it'll show a clean file, unlike previously when it always shows the error in red.

Have run my FoGN markers and they look great. Now it's back to the Trench system to finish that off.

SIDENOTE: I have an idea for a treasured project that would suit my 3D printer perfectly. Won't disclose much until I run the first test print. Cheers. armata_PDT_34.gif
EDIT POST: 18 MARCH
Had frustrating issues with my laptop yesterday so that absolutely nothing was done. All good today so I'm resuming to finish off the trench system for my display board. Got a backstory for it too. Will post progress reports. Cheers.
EDIT POST: 19 MARCH
Three more pieces to print out. Unfortunately I have been told by the wife to do my printing during power off-peak times, which means all-nighters. The quality of the print is rough with the new filament but it's nothing major.

Started Sketch Up designs of alien structures for the display board. Got several options but won't confirm final layout just yet. But it's certainly moved beyond the original Lustrian temple complex I did some years ago. Nowadays I have a 3D printer to stuff it up. armata_PDT_14.gif Mind you, mentioning that Lustrian build has me wondering if I can do an upgrade using the 3D printer. Certainly one of many wonderful ideas worth exploring.

As for the next major 3D modelling project, it's under way. Just organising myself to produce some results. Right now, it's more than likely something will be produced next month.

Correction: Forgot the tower structure. May have to modify the original layout (shown above) to cut down on production time.
EDIT POST: 4 APRIL
Printed out a test model using the loan model. Replicated well enough but it still needs a bit of modification.

Cheers
EDIT POST: 12 APRIL
Just painting update. Next print run is tonight - most of the accessories for the Willys. Then onto the schwimmwagen (almost finished in Sketch Up). After that, King Tiger and kubelwagen.

IPB Image
30 Willys basecoated. Used Vallejo Yellow Ochre which really gives an authentic military colour look. Surprised actually. Handpainted the bonnet star and circle. Also handpainted the little stars on the side of the jeeps (one per side but you can't see it). Cheers.
EDIT POST: 22 APRIL
Just cleaning up most of my old posts here and elsewhere. Removing old pics. New batreps on Monday - Lion Rampant, Red Actions!. Even General Quarters III. Cheers.
EDIT POST: 7 MAY
Got hold of one of those resin Opel trucks (circa WW2). Will Sketch it Up and then 3D print run it. Chur! armata_PDT_34.gif

This post has been edited by b20f08: May 7 2017, 12:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2019 - 02:21 PM