Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Admonitions of a Suss Sufferer: Mark 2, all about Mark 3
CareyBear
post Feb 2 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #301

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 1,881

Ouch, missed the end of that one.

Not surprised at kayazy with prejudice, Eliminators slaughter Stalkers like nobody's business.

I was impressed at the amount of Cryx at CANCON. Apparently neither cryx nor infantry are dead or unplayable trash or whatever it was the internet decided. Assuming whatever that ret unit they all take, stormlances and vengers et al count as infantry. I can't talk though, double Eliminators in every list might suggest they're a little good for their points.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 3 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #302

Member No.: 10,012

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Feb 2 2017, 07:53 PM) *

I can't talk though, double Eliminators in every list might suggest they're a little good for their points.

Given the lack of solo variation across all lists, I'm starting to adhere to the viewpoint that most solos are overcosted, particularly combat iterations.

I don't miss Ocean 11's lists in the least, it's not what I want to be viable in the game of robots versus monsters.

Alright, it's a new Cancon day, time for some more flailing desperately trying not to fall over.

So....three lists. Going off people's last minute pulling together of a third list, I'd put forward the high likelihood of it mostly being a normal two list pairing plus a list that wasn't considered at all.

I was lazy, so rather than testing something useful I threw in Bart hoping it might wrongfoot people in weird ways, though I'd hardly be affected if they didn't.

Gorten1: Usual mix of jacks, pair of Lessers and some stabby individuals
Thexus1: 7 Monstrosities plus Eliminators
Bart1: Double Galleon, Boomhowlers, Rangers (Kingmaker)

So...you can see the stupidity here right?
I will complement my two lists with push based feats with a list centred on two hyper expensive models whose most powerful ability is....a push. Genius.

Sod it, we all know it'll be Gorten all day anyway.

Round 1, it's Nemo3, Maddox1 and another list I don't recall beyond it wasn't Haley. Doesn't matter, from what I saw Nemo was clearly the right choice for the Swans. Sure enough:

Nemo3 (Storm Bringers) - Dynamo, Centurion, Firefly, Squire, Junior w/Firefly, Storm Strider, Storm Lancers, Laddermore, Stormcallers, Field Mechanic and Gobbers
Objective: Bunker

Scenario is Extraction.
Terrain wise, both sides have a wall an off one flag and a trench in the backfield, then there's a central and flanking hill, last the less hilly side has a forest.

I win the roll. My feat isn't going to be pushing anything, the opposing list has lots of tools that will threaten my armour debuff solos, so lets get up the board and slow these guys while chilling in flag land (It's a really lame version of Lego Land, or possibly a niche cool subset of Lego Land?) .

IPB Image
Merc 1: Gorten and jacks go up the left side of my Objective, Lessers go up on the right. Acosta and one unit of Vengeance trigger Eliminators go up on the right white hill (White terrain on white table. I have selected poorly). Other Eliminators go waaay left.

Eliminators went in their locations because in my heart they are already dead to copious lightning leaps. Acosta is hilarious to have in this matchup, just have to keep him away from pointy bits and he dance in the ranged attacks all day.

Cygnar 1: No dramatic redeployments, Nemo and the jack bros face off against my own battlegroup, they run up. Centurion is anchoring the far left, gets the "I'm super zappy" spell. Nemo casts the no Push spell, this'll happen a lot.
On the right, Stormstrider runs up behind the forest.
Junior puts Arcane Shield on the Lancers, who spread out with Laddermore in the rear.

IPB Image
Merc 2: This is the turn in which we wait. Nemo will likely feat shortly and blat jacks, so the plan is to not give away more than we need to with that, we can do the threat range dance on the left and wait for the Lancers to come forward on the right.

Extreme left, the Red Eliminators run way up, now in line with all the Swan robots. One goes behind the mini-wall, the other hangs behind her just in command.

Left Centre, three of the Bunnies walk into a line and confess to the crime. By which I mean they killed a pair of mechanics. Gorten went behind them, camped three (Upkept Strength of Granite and Solid Ground). Acosta runs from the right to near the Bunny line, as the Stormlancers are the mostly likely to kill him and no viable ranged opposing attacks make him super worth keeping alive.

To the right of my objective, the Crocs Submerge, I keep transfers around instead of Star Crossed because Nemo Lightning bad. One Spray Bunny and Driller go tot eh right of the Crocs, barely toeing control area. The Driller is intended to kill stuff on the flag, the Spray Bunny is there to die as there isn't a super amount for it to do and I need disposable contesting pieces potentially.

On the far right, the world looks like a different place. The Green Eliminators run up and chock up the Stormlancers, I'm expecting they'll die easy to leaps but they are their primarily as an annoyance anyway. Pigs actually walk back a bit with a smoke drop, keeping things that might go on the flag in threat range.

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: Nemo, Finch and Squire chill in the trench, pop feat.

To my utter surprise the Centurion charges team Eliminator Distraction. Gets the kill, be he's well away from the flag so everything is good. Dynamo then opens up its Speculum arm, shoots away the left Driller. Fireflies pings the Bunnies, kill the front Gunner and do some zaps on the other two.

On the right, Junior slogs his way into the forest, allowing the Stormstrider to shoot him and kill the left most Green Eliminator on the Lancers, Laddermore tries and fails to clear off the other one.
The Lancers then shift around a little, one of them shoots their bro to lightning kill the remaining Green Kayazy, who as far as I'm concerned are a complete success, like the reverse of pop up internet ads.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 3 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #303

IPB Image
Merc 3: The plan is working out. The Driller loss was saddening, but well within the average damage. What surprised me were the amount of attacks put into the bunnies, rather than trying to screw around and kill my support pieces.

Far left, Green Eliminator moves up into the Cygnar backfield. Probably dead next turn, but if not its Finch and Squire stab time (Model moved after photo taken).

Gorten moves up to be behind the fog that has managed to persist all game, I feat on the Centurion, Dynamo and Firefly. All Nemo's, so they don't move. The Centurion is far enough and slow enough that it won't be able to contest next turn, which makes things easier.
He then pops a shot into Dynamo, does a good hit with a boosted damage roll.
The Gunner goes to the left flag, also shoots Dynamo.
Spray Bunny moves up, lightly touches Dynamo and kills the remaining two mechanics.

I then um and arr over sending Acosta in, as my pieces to fight the Centurion in the closing stages aren't in good spots. I decide it was worth getting some damage out, so Savio charges in, manages to spoon out the Cortex. Sweet.
Now that Dynamo can't stab heavies to death, Snapjaw charges and eats Nemo's Firefly with a charge and a bought attack. Wrongeye hangs back on high camp, I'm expecting Snappy will just frenzy on a swan model anyway.

On the right, Aiyanna/Holt stay stealthy in the backfield. The Spray Bunny moves up, gets a bead on Junior, manages to do a couple boxes (Odds of outright killing were low, but not like the Bunny will get better plays).
Brine gets smoked and charges up into two Lancers, easily eats them. Rorsh stays on reasonable camp, again I expect the Pig to die or Frenzy on something not mine.
I foolishly didn't put the Spray Bunny in base with the flag, so the Driller has to tap to score, which isn't ideal placement, he ought to be further left in case he is needed to kill the Objective or Storm strider.

Mercs go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Cygnar 3: Firefly on Junior still lives, so it transforms into a proxy base, rolls out to the right flag, stabs the Spray Bunny over there a bit.

Laddermore and Stormlancers come in, they kill Brine and finish off the Bunny, then reposition to spread out.

Centre wise, Dynamo and Storm Strider go into Snapjaw, damage him heavily but he stays both alive and with all aspects.

On left, Centurion limps back toward the flag. Finch hides behind the top left mini-wall. The Squire back up and shows Nemo it's backside, allowing a gun shot and lightning leap to kill the Green Eliminator, the Gollum of the match (Also participated in endless walking, only instead of a smooth eagle ride home dies to an environmental affect).

Nothing contests the left flag, so Mercs go to 3 CP.

IPB Image
Mercs 4: Snapjaw frenzies, puts some points on the Stormstrider, gets pushed back a bit.
There's a Lancer, Firefly on the Stormstrider contesting the right flag, has Snapjaw not frenzied that'd be an easy prospect, as is I save my focus and plan on killing the Objective for the win.

Acosta walks around Dynamo, to be between the Swan jack, Strider and Snapjaw. Swing ont he objective, I was expecting him to do a good belt but rolls under average, leaving the Objective on an uncomfortable amount of health. It's a Bunker, so the guns are going to have trouble.

Nevertheless, Gorten, the Spray Bunny and the Gunner give it a shot, I believe it gets left on a couple boxes. Gorten also backed up up a bit before the inevitable assassination attempt, given my clock game is also going in my favour.

Well, game isn't over, so now it's do spot damage and hold tight.

I do what I should have done earlier to free up Acosta getting a charge, as Wrongeye charges Dynamo with his reach stick and kills it without to much trouble, given how damaged it was.

The Driller shuffles to be in base the Strider to stop it getting any closer to Gorten and add to the freestrike list, attacks Juniors Firefly on the right flag and kills it.
Between Aiyanna Kissing and the Holt/Rorsh guns I kill two more Storm Lancers, leaving one member of the unit still trucking.

Last of all Ragman, who has been super relevant, runs to get in the way of the Centurion.

Mercs go to 4 CP.

IPB Image
Cygnar 4: They have to go for assassination and they are cognizant of that.

Nemo and the Strider both pew pew, Nemo does so little damage I don't even focus it down. The Storm Strider misses all its attacks (Def 13 is apparently boss).

After that its some kill points gained before the scenario loss, Centurion fails to kill Ragman so Finch gets it done, Laddermore/Junior/lancer try to kill the other Junior but don't quite manage it.

One up, another good start allowing us to get some height before plunging screaming on fire down to the ground. Like cousin Lucy Fur. Don't smoke and skydive people.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 3 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #304

Onto next round, into some Menoth. I believe it was Kreoss3, Feora1 and I *think* High Reclaimer1, but I'm not sure about that last one. I was going to be surprised anyway, as in a complete turnabout on internet stuff in comes the Priestess.

Yada yada I should just could the next blog iteration "The Journey's of Gorten and some other infrequent muppets".

Gorten1 (GIVE ME AN EPIC SO I HAVE A LIST PAIR DAMMIT) - Drillers, Bunnies, Crocs, Pigs, Kayazy, Acosta, Support
vs
Feora1 - Judicator, Hand of Judgement, Tristan w/Vigilant, Flame Bringers, Nicia, 2x Wracks, Choir, Vassal of Menoth, Hierophant, Piper
Objective: Fuel

So, here's an irrelevant shout out to Battle College. it's great for all those models I get a quick gist of the rules of and have no sodding idea what its name is. The shout is irrelevant because if you are reading this you'll likely have an established opinion of that site, but really, it's a good reference tool these days.

Looking at the opposing list, the things that jumped out to me were Feora1's feat is garbage, but would be a hassle on all my support junk, so I should pull it out with an Eliminator/Acosta sacrifice (Though it on average doesn't kill Savio, so it isn't a complete waste as other attacks will likely be needed then she'll be in Vengeance/charge range of MAT 9 POW 13 Weaponmaster attacks).
The anti Upkeep spell will be annoying, particularly for the Crocs, though that distance game means she'll likely have to hug the Judicator to stay safe.
I also really like Tristan with a Vigilant, throwing Fortify on that could be really annoying. Spoiler, it was.

I won the roll, took first. Big thing in Recon with Gorten versus immovable stuff is you can get the auto win against the uninitiated by feating and using a wall to block movement, giving an easy scenario win.

Terrain wise, I ended up with a hill and a huuuuuuge forest on my side, neither super relevant.
The midline is mostly Barren, aside from another largish forest on the right flag/flank.
The Menites nab all the terrain, getting quite relevantly a blob of water at the end of the zone that will impede me getting to those end contest pieces, some fog right behind the objective that looks irrelevant, then to the left is a pair of walls and a trench to the right.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Dorf and Jack buddies run up the centre, Crocs on the left go up on the hill, because elevation is super relevant with Submerge.
Out on the extreme left is squad "Please pop your feat", of one unit of Kayazy and Acosta.
On the far right is the other kayazy and the Pigs.
Ragman goes super smug, showing off his pathfinder by walking into the forest. Alas for the evil nobleman turned weird-relationship-with-bodies-guy, he was more than three inches from the edge and none of the Menites saw him. Plus his face is covered and stuff.

IPB Image
Menoth 1: Feora has deployed and stays far more flanky than I expected, as she ends up hovering between both walls. Joining her on the left is Tristan, the Vigilant with Fortify up, Hand of Judgement and the random support models. She also throws down fiery walls.
Piper stays in the cloud, puts Dirge on the Flame Bringers.
Judicator moves up on the right, shoots down the green Kayazy (Damnable 10 inch control area!), Flame Bringers spread out on that flank, Nicia goes up on the extreme edge.

The cloud goes away at the end of this turn, it gets removed when it's convenient.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Feora is so far left, I don't have to fear her trying to go for the right flag at all. The pigs will be relegated to distraction duty while I push for the left flag and leave a Bunny or two toeing the back of the zone to contest, if the Judicator comes up and tries to clear I'll counter kill with Drillers.

Starting on the left with team distraction Alpha. They can't do weird side steppy nonsense due to the wall of fire, though given I expected them to kill no models that's all good.
Acosta goes behind the top left wall, Eliminators go back to his left in Vengeance trigger range.

At my end of the zone, we start with a Gunner moving up and shooting down the Piper, so that was nice. The other Gunner goes to the back right corner of the zone and tries to shoots down a Daughter, but misses hard.
The other Dwarf jacks advance in a rough line, one Driller walks into threat range of the Hand of Judgement, so I plonk down a wall. Because walls are great.
The Crocs hand behind said Driller, intending to threaten toward Feora if she doesn't skedaddle and give me the left flag.

Team distraction beat on the right just has the Pigs fall back a little to draw the Flame Bringers in.

IPB Image
Menoth 2: Feora feats, sets Snapjaw, Gorten, a bunch of my jacks and team distraction on fire. Sadly fire isn't trusted, so she then charges into Acosta, lands the stab and puts down a fire wall against the Red Eliminators. Well, team distraction worked a lot better than expected.

Hand of Judgement and the Judicator toe the top of the zone, shoot up my jacks for a bit.

The Flamebringers run in, one goes and finishes off the right most Gun Bunny, another engages Aiyanna/Holt. Two hang out in the open next to the right flag, the last runs up and engages the Pigs.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 3 2017, 11:44 PM
Post #305

IPB Image
Merc 3: Fire kills the Red Kayazy.
I've got a half hearted assassination and some sweet attrition plays, so lets do that. PLan is to kill Tristan, Hand of Judgement and if lucky Feora.

Spray Bunnies move up, ping Tristan though don't roll great.
Gorten moves up, feats selecting the left board edge and pushing about three inches. I get Tristant, Hand and the Judicator, not being able to get across enough to get Feora and the Vigilant.

Gunner goes to finish Tristan off, misses. Bugger.
Driller goes to charge Hand of Judgement. I screwed up the pre-measurement and he's out of charge range. Well, this is going suuuuuuper bad.
Wrongeye moves up and pops his magic stuff. Snapjaw charges Feora, gets burned a little by the wall. Boosts to hit the charging tail, lands it, misses claw, second boosted tail attack puts her down to a couple boxes.

Ho hum. Better kill some other stuff and see what happens.
Between Ragman, Aiyanna's Harm and Holt the two left most Flame Bringers die.
Rorsh pops smoke, lets Brine get up and go into the two Horses next to the right flag. Brine misses a bunch of boosted attacks, ends up maxing all his fury to kill them. The remaining Flame Bringer might kill Rorsh, which'll leave Holt and co to kill it next turn.

IPB Image
Menoth 3: Feora's on sod all, so the assassination attempts come in.

Vigilant, Feora and Tristan manage to kill Snapjaw. She ends up hiding behind the jack.

Hand of Judgement runs forward, the Judicator then moves up and tries to shoot Gorten down, burns a couple focus and thats about it. The Flame Bringer manages to pop Rorsh, Nicia runs across.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Fire does little to Gorten and Feora didn't run the hell away, so time to finish her off.

Gunner kills Tristan, one Driller moves up and headbutts Hand of Judgement. One Spray Bunny shoots at Feora, burns a focus, the other is pretty damaged so limps into the middle of the zone.
Now able to get in without a Free Strike, the left Driller Charges Feora, hits the charging Drill attack and its done.

IPB Image
Me on the right, a good lead. Would have aimed for a clock win if the assassination failed.

That's two up, two more to go.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 4 2017, 03:40 PM
Post #306

Round 3!

It's the dreaded Circle matchup. Dangit. Maybe Round 3 Circle is just my future for the next 6 months?

Let's not beat around the bush. It'll be Una2 vs Gorten1.

Just realised the pun above. I hate myself.

Gorten1 - Do you really need the list again? Suck it up. Dorf Jacks. Bacon. Handbags. Femme Fatales. Thamarite ######.
vs
Una2 - 10x Scarsfell Griffons, Gorax,Druid Wilder, 2x Sentry Stones, Shifting Stones

It's Extraction, I win the die roll and pick first, as both sides had something Gorten could use to save himself (yay!) and a blob of something that'd slow me up really badly (Boo!).

I end up with a side with a vertical wall, a fog and a huuuuge blob of water I wanted nothing to do with.
Other side has a trench, an obstruction centrally and a forest on the right. There's also a way back trench, I didn't even know it was there during he game so mayyyyybe it isn't relevant.

This game was into Bobliness of various points of merit fame. Dudes super fun, everyone should get a game (Though odds of winning the game are.....not great?).

IPB Image
Merc 1: Stuff runs up. Pigs go extreme left to pop the opposing Objective top of 3. Gorten and jacks go up to the left of the centre with the Kayazy, plan being for Gorten to hug the wall and pop up his own to be safe from the Griffon rush. Crocs go to contest the Merc zone, an artifact of them being some of the few models aim to traverse the water. Acosta goes extreme right, because hoping to wing it off Dodge and Riposte can only end well.

IPB Image
Circle 1: Griffons swarm forward in a rough line, keep short of the Kayazy threat range. Various stones move up with. Hand of Fate and Mirage go on two of the centre caw caw things, Una and Gorax play footsies in the back.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Feats incoming, so it's set up and wait time. This is the point I realise I don't have a reliable means to contest the Merc zone....
Snapjaw goes in, Wrongeye goes behind and Star Crosses. I run Acosta far right, I guess on the futile hope he gets missed? Probably should have run him back in the board to run into the merc zone next turn, though it's all optimism at this point.

Otherwise, Gorten sits between some walls, Gunners crack the Shifting Stone unit. Pigs stay back, hoping to not get hacked down in the next turn.

I run Kayazy forward to try to impede things a little.

IPB Image
Circle 2: Una feats, ponders if the Gorax actually has legitimate feelings or just doesn't want to die.
Three Griffons go in, one with Primal, and kill the Gunners, then a few more hang out in the Circle stone in front of Manikins.

On the right the Mannikins kill Acosta, sadness.
Griffons go into the Merc zone, effortlessly pop the Objective, one with Hand of Fate gets Primal and pops Snapjaw.

Una, Gorax and Stones stay back out of my feat range. The Eliminators easily get killed by bit attacks.

Circle goes to 2.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 4 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #307

IPB Image
Merc 3: Christ in Cream Cheese Sauce (Counts as a swear because lactose).
Have to feat, or have nothing left next turn. I should have planned for scoring on the defensive zone, but it is what it is.
Gorten feat pushes things back, only gets things around the left zone alas. Spray Bunnies move up and do some pew pewing on the left Griffons with Dark Field, knock out some aspects and otherwise don't do much.

Brine goes in and pops the Objective, Rorsh hangs waaaaay back, as Big Pig is gonna die.

On the right zone a Driller, Wrongeye and the one remaining Eliminator contests the zone.

IPB Image
Circle 3: In the Circle zone, the feated Griffons limp forward, maul the crap out of Brine and the Driller/

Una chills out behind the Gorax/Stones/Obstruction, throws out some Primals and otherwise chills.

On the right, the Griffons don't suffer to many impediments, Hand of Fated Primalled caw caw bird takes the Driller by the ear and forces it into a soup can, wasn't pretty.
Manikins spray down the Eliminator, for some insult to injury manages to put Wrongeye on one box, so a single Griffon has no issue popping him.

Circle goes to 3.

IPB Image
Merc 4: There's nothing I can see to do. Una is well out of my attacks, nothing can reliably contest the right zone.

I'd like to put down even a convoluted low odds play, but I got nothin. It was kill random stuff for giggles time, so Gunners spray, Brine swings around wildly, Holt pew pews, Gorten misses some attacks and that's that.

IPB Image
Me on the right, my worst clock lead thus far, no threat of winning on time.

Yeah yeah, not my best work, got a back log of games so all the details are hazy. I actually didn't mind the matchup in list terms too much, spray bunnies still do work and bit pieces are useful when not thrown away on the top of 2. Definitely putting too much Onus on the water terrain in my head, could have been worked around, I also haven't been that wall blind in some time.

And thus we parade from the fun game to the last round in the funsies bracket :-)
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 4 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #308

Final Round of IG, standard "Low odds of getting top four if I win this one".

The undead empire rears itself again. Guess Circle round 3 and Cryx final round is now my thing? There looked to be soooo many Khador on both days, I was genuinely surprised on the days that I didn't get either. A later count apparently had Menoth as most common, so there you go.

Anyway, its into Sketch Bluesky, which is sweet as we played once before loooong ago in Mark 2, before I knew what a Cryx drop was (Translation: Too sussy to buy Durgen, eventually El Shepherdo got sick of my nonsense and bought him for me). Terminus ate Barts Galleon, was quite the disaster.

I sure did carry two Galleons around all day.

The scattered dust that is my memory seems to be saying the non-used Cryx lists were Gorshade3 and.....Gaspy 3 perhaps? Anyway:

Gorten1: Drill Drill, Bang Bang, Spray Spray, Oink Oink, Growl Growl, Stab Stab, More Stab Stab, Stab without friend but dodge/riposte stuff, *Smooch* with Pew Pew, Necrophile, Squeky Cart with Wrench
Objective: German Normandy Shed
vs
Witch Coven1 w/Egg ball - Nightmare, 2x Seether, Deathripper, 2x Statistics Raiders + UA, Withershadow Combine, Ragman

Pretty sure this is all about interplay of feats. Take and Hold is the scenario, so neither of us will be getting a scenario rush. Basic plan is to wait out the opposing feat.

I win the roll and pick first, I want the board position before the likely early feat of the Witch Coven (It read to me as though popping it late game either means Cryx is already way ahead or it's benefits are nulled considerably by the distances having been closed).

My side has a trench, fog and super awkward wall, then there's a hill either side, a wall and forest around the flags and a looong wall on the Cryx side,presumably taken to disrupt my feat.

IPB Image
Round 1: Eliminators fan out front to threaten the Raiders. Yay pointy bits!
Gorten and Bunnies makes a bee line for my flag, with Crocs to their left and Drillers to the right and a bit behind.
Acosta goes into the cloud, because he's brave like that.
Ninja Pigs are so far right they're out of camera shot.....

Nightmare has preyed Snapjaw, he goes straight up the guts behind the wall with Egregore and Ragman behind him.
Satyxis and a Seether take either side, Coven members spread out in the back. Left side gets the Bonejack.

IPB Image
Merc 2: The Red Kayazy go behind the centre terrain wall, the Crocs and Rhulic Jacks advance a short distance, enough to keep the front line out of the Cryxian threat ranges. Gorten puts up a wall in front that Acosta goes behind, in theory Nightmare could get into him, which seems like an OK prospect to me (Over a wall with Star Crossed....).

The Green Eliminators and the Pigs go way up and to the right of the Cryx flag, I'm hoping they'll draw in and defeat some Satyxis, though there is a legitimate danger that they spike and kill Brine. Def 12 Arm 17 can be as fun as reading youtube comments (Don't do it).

IPB Image
Cryx 2: Sure enough Egregore floats forward and feats and everything meaningful. Otherwise things advance up, nothing has a crack at fort Gorten this turn. A Veil of Mists goes down in the centre board.
As an exception, most of the Raiders try to beat down Brine/Green Eliminators, the rolls were bad enough that one Eliminator survives being hit and Brine took only a few points.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Ah, sweet LoS 5 inches. Majestic.
I can't do much to the main body of the Cryxites, but they also aren't going to maul me heavily next turn, so I think this is a good position for me to be in.

Gorten goes to my flag behind the wall, Red Kayazy and Snapjaw form up to stop things getting to him. Bunnies stick around behind him, as does Wrongeye who pops Star Crossed. Drillers stay way back, they aren't going to be useful for a while in this matchup. Plus Feedback is super irritating.
I expect there'll be some attacks into Snapjaw, hopefully he lives but it isn't the end of the game if he doesn't.

On the right where the actual stuff is happening, the Green Kayazy free up Brine, who eats another couple Satyxis. I forgot to Animus for snacking, but oh well, he wasn't that damaged anyway. Rorsh hugs the board edge, as he is wont to do.
Acosta is staring down the barrel of Warjacks boosting to hit him, which is usually the cheapest way to kill him, so I run him to Vengeance range of the Green Eliminators. We temporarily remove the wall terrain piece for the sake of getting the model down.

Mercs go to 1 CP.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 4 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #309

IPB Image
Cryx 3: Then was a good bit of puzzling out a potential assassination involving charging up, killing Eliminators, throwing a Bunny and getting a bunch of Nightmare attacks on Gorten, it pans out as to unlikely to be worth it.

Sure enough, the left unit of Raiders charge into Snapjaw for a bit, though a good half jsut spread out. Were it goes wrong is I didn't really consider the left most Seether, who charges up and easily finishes gets the Croc killed.
Nightmare/Seether hang back.

On the right, the Withershadow go, Puppet String the right Raiders. They fire a random bolt at Acosta, land both 8's to hit and kill. Oh well, you can't play Acosta and expect a success rate to be that high for his survival.
The Raiders fail to hit the Kayazy, as most attacks go on Brine. He loses his spirit and feels a good chunk of pain.
Egregore and one Witch tot up to the flag, put down a Veil of Mist between them and team outflank.

Scores level at 1 each.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Time to feat and get rid of all these Raiders. Gorten walks up on the flag, triggers a Countercharge (Awkward way to discover a trap you silly gnome). Fortunately there isn't a good charge lane (It's the forward most Seether) I feat and push back all the left Raiders and all the jacks (Bone Jack goes far enough back that I cease to think of it as a relevant piece).

A Driller with Aiyanna's Harm horribly overkills the forward Seether, then Bunnies, Holt and the Red Eliminators kill all bar two of the left raider unit. One Gunner also advances to deny a landing zone for anything getting on Gorten.

On the right, the Kayazy again kill all Raiders in the unit leaving two left. A Driller runs up contest the Cryx flag and ensure Egregore has to get the hell out of dodge.
Brine however, has an assassination possibility. I'd have prefered to arrange a Soiue!, but no Spirit stops that. Rorsh pops smoke for Brine to get distance, heals him up. waves his wand and turns him into a Green Proxy base. Brine then casts his Animus, goes up on the Cryx hill and eats the Witch there, then flails without much effect on the Egregore. He'll Frenzy like mad next turn, worth for knocking the Coven down to normal Warcaster focus levels.

Mercs go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Cryx 4: My feat messed things up even the camera suffered it would seem.

Nightmare can't quite get to Gorten, thanks to the wall and Gunner, so he goes up and murders the hell out of the Bunny thanks to Infernal Machine getting him up there.
The other feated models limp back.

Egregore gets the hell away from Brine, a Seether then charges and bins the big Pig (One day Crit Retaliatory strike, one day). The pair of Raiders on that flank then go,one stabs the Driller for a point, the other flails at the Green Kayazy, like you do.

IPB Image
Merc 5: Everything has worked out for me really, jsut have to not screw up. Can aso attack a no camp Egregore, so lets get on that.
Ragman walks up in the centre forest alcove, pops Death Field. The left Driller then goes in and kills Nightmare.
Bunnies and Red Eliminators do some random activations, freeing up Wrongeye to charge the floating Orb.Can only get in with his reach attack, three boosted damage rolls bin the Witches and we're done.

Ended up 3-1, so better than masters (Damn you 5th round!).
Was an excellent pair of days, now to play random muck about junk!
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 4 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #310

Now that we've bungled our way out of the top cuts of the Masters/Iron Gauntlet lame practice tournaments, it's time for the serious hardcore stuff. Meaning, of course, a Speedmachine I didn't realise I could attend (All those school years reading time tables were for nothing! NOTHING!) and Who's The Boss, where I have to make sure I don't lose to Brian Woods as it'll make the already sodden oatmealish nature of my WTC application even more akin to lumbjacking with a wet noodle.

I'd carried those Galleons around all day, so by God I was going to use one of them.

Speed Machine - Obligatory classic Keanu Reeves movie joke here. It's 25 points, Battlegroup only, 15 minute Deathclock, Take and Hold scenario, Tie Breakers go assassination/army points destroyed/CP. Lose if all Beasts/Jacks killed.

I took Bart, a Galleon and a Nomad generously loaned by a local with a real life to attend to.
Basically, if I don't go against a Colossal/Gargantuan it should some sweet face rolling. Obviously this tourney is suuuuuuper balanced on a Razor's Edge/Milhouses nose. Felt weird to live in absolute far of the Skorne Hydra list with Morghoul1, I straight up lose to that (Sandstorm relevancy!)

No pics, because seriously? That ain't happening.

Round 1 - Into De-Breyer, with Stryker 2, Rowdy, an Ironclad and a pair of Hunters.

1M - I run up first, Hot Shot/Batten.

1C - He runs up, plus wings the Nomad with Hunters. Batten and Shield were sweet.

2M - I feat, go to the friendly flag and chortle. Then the comeuppance for the wonky as match up begins, Galleon drags in the Ironclad, misses all the melee attacks. Eeep. Nomad runs and engages the Hunters.

2C - Ironclad shakes his head blearily, I enjoy the bemusement of self countering my feat as he just stands on the spot and punches the Galleon for a bit. Rowdy/Stryker hang back. One Hunter moves up to contest, takes a good freestrike and falls over. The other backs out of my feat, takes a good freestrike and pings the Nomad for some plink damage.

3M - This time for sure! Galleon backs up a tiny amount to avoid the freestrike, stabs the Ironclad. Misses all bar one attack that takes nothing out. Damnable 6's! 72% hit chance is an illusion! The Nomad kills the Knock Downed Hunter. I score again.

3C - Rowdy, the Ironclad and Stryker kill the Galleon, Hunter backs up again.

4M - Oh god. Lets get some army points before we die, as I can't get to Stryker. The Nomad and Bart, in the complete opposite of the loser Colossal, charge in and between them kill both Heavies. The Hunter in the distance does a mocking french dance as he prevents the Mangled Metal Condition win.

4C - Stryker Overcharges for a die, gets +5 strength and a damage point. makes Bart eat his hat prior to Bisecting him.

That was glorious. Hyper enjoyable game, made the irritated sign and journey across the room to grab both Colossals each Iron Gauntlet round well worth it.

Round 2 - Samanananen with Doomshaper 2, a Mauler, Earthborn and....Rok I think?

Alas for the Trolls, this was a stomping. Got a good early drag angle, so popped the Mauler early, feat messed things up allowing the Galleon to easily polish off the Battlegroup.

Round 3 - Into the Chisseler with Thagrosh 1, a Blight Bringer (The effort needed to not write Bright Blinger is weird), two Shredders and a harrier. A list responsible for a very confused TO moment in round one when someone got 90 odd points killed.

Most important thing: Entire army in Deadpool colours, Thags modeled with the facemask and eating a Chimichanga. It was hilarious, but my brain literally took the whole game to even click what was happening. Sleep on Con weekends dammit.

This was a long game that featured massive cowardice on my part. The Galleon out threated the Blighter, so I shot it a bit, feated and killed the lessers that fell over that Legion turn, then kept winging it until a Shredder got feated back. Then Galleon finally managed to shoot down the Blight Bringer and Thags couldn't kill Bart, thus was killed in return.

And that was Speed machine. Sweet format, though Palette Cleanse at best.

Alright, next day, the best of tourney formats, ye old Who's The Boss.

The cheesy pile I tried to pull off this time:

The Boss - Reinholdt, Rockram, 2x Drillers, 6x Gunner, Blaster
All Rhulic warjack all the time! Rockram included for something to buff, Reinholdt is there because I couldn't find Thor. Figured if nothing else it'd be a test bed for those two models that I have under utilised in my proper list testing.

Got beginning and end photos, though sadly for round 1 they were to dark to make anything out (Consider this versus the normal pics, bit shocking to discover some QA isn't it?).

Round 1, we get the normal Khador Boss list (Behemoth, Rifle Corp with Rocketeers, Joe then extras. In this instance that's a pair of Juggers and Eliminator units).

I have Gunnbjorn1, going into Mohsar1.
So.....Sunhammer.....all Jack list of mostly lights. Ouch. Otherwise both feats have game, Pillars can block and Mirage increases threat for Khador while I can cycle Snipe and Explosivo, then Rock wall when things close to hold off the opposing heavies with ease.

It starts off magnificently. I blow through the Pillars with minimal issue, knock of Behemoths arm and pop a Rocketeer with a cycled Snipe shot (Someone has to pass a tough roll sooner or alter, so fair enough). Gunnbjorn feats, becomes immune to Ranged damage and sits out in the middle of the board on no camp mooning all the guns.

The sticking point is that the Explosivo didn't pop the Eliminators, so they jam up as Mohsar feats (Strips Power Up). Put some focus out, I become super Eliminator Blind. Explosivo an the Spray Bunny utterly fail to kill them, so Gunners have to take freestrikes , even then they only pop three of them. This would all be fine, accept I got Kayazy blind and failed to move the last Gunner activation to block LoS to Gunnbjorn, who is on no camp due to cycling Explosivo and upkeeping. Without feat he gets blown up quite easily by Behemoth and a Rifle Corp CRA.

Had I not done that screw up I think this game is beyond mine, the Bunnies easily grind down the opposing list. Dangit.

Round 2: It's the damnable Swans! Rowdy and Thorn are the battlegroup, aided by a Junior with a Firefly, then it's Stormlancers plus Laddermore with the support of Arlan and a Squire. Lightning module and high quality jacks, sensible choices.

I get Syntherion. D3 repair each round feels workable,though not be legit Convergence I can't induct to get around damaged Cortex's. Hot Shot didn't really have a place, though in hindsight I should have put it on the Rockram and placed Reconstruct on a Driller (Spoiler: Didn't do that). Was conflicted on Synergy and feat (Jacks gain Weapon Platform/Dual Attack), the Bunnies aren't exactly the best to get that rolling with their MAT 5.

Swans get Vyross1. Feat gives flank to Warjacks for faction infantry, that could be devastating. He otherwise will speed up the two character jacks, has an armour buff and Righteous Vengeance. I don't feel confident at the get go, Vyross appears to be a superior combination with the relevant list than my own.

IPB Image
Fear the Shadow! It knows!

I win the roll, take first. Photo is end of the first round, sure enough the Swans are much further up the table. Synergy is up, I have Reconstruct on the Rockram.

After this the Swans jam everything forward, the Lancers engage all the Bunnies and stab away, Thorn and Rowdy hangs around above the wall near my flag.

I only just get Syntherion out of the killbox, my models are quite hemmed in. Spray Bunny sacrifices himself to contest.

The swans score defensively multiple rounds running, Rowdy/Thorn manage to pop the Reconstructed Rockram near the end.
However, I had significantly underestimated Synergy and my feat. I allocated hard to my Drillers, the early Bunnies got lucky bashing into Lancers then shooting models in the distance, the Synergy Drillers had max focus and needed none of it to kill Rowdy and Stormlancers.

I grind it hard, whilst eventually getting a Driller and Bunny up in the closing stages to contest the Swan flag when nothing could reasonably finished. I'd also been efficient with my turns, whereas some analysis paralysis sees me get to a pretty convincing clock win.

Game end:
IPB Image

Round 3: No Woodsy game (Think he actually did a Steamroller?), so my WTC application is safe (For a given value, if any of them read these Cancon reports I can only presume I'm gooooone)

It's the Tree Huggers! Stalker, Gnarlhorn counter slam goat thing, Gorax, an Argus of some kind, Shifting Stone, Sentry Stone, Druid Wilder, Blackclad, Blood Trackers with Nualla.

He draws Sturgis1. The feat is almost irrelevant, as it can only affect Reinholdt with its Pull/damage deal (Sturdy list ftw!). He does get Arcane Shield, which is always good, and Blood trackers with Snipe seemed bad.

So, whereas I was wrongfully pessimistic about Syntherion1, I get a legit piel of absolute gunk this round.
I've got Bethayne and Belphagor.
Literally no feat, as the models that can trigger it are.....Bethayne. That is, if I don't meld her to let Sturgis come in and butcher her. Spells likewise irrelevant, I've got a caster only buff that I guess I'll cast maybe and Cloak of Ash, which could go on a single model,leaving plenty of other targets.

Alright, lets get this done.

IPB Image
That's a giant hill in the centre of the board, it's where the conflict mostly plays out.

You'llll neeeeevvvvvveeerrrrr be alooooone if you give a dog a boooooooone.
Whoops, listening to DAAS. Classic. Also the last line of the song is pretty befitting my warlock play this rounds.

I've got first, the plan is simple. I'm going to Meld early on and never leave, then retreat to the very corner of the killbox and prey that Sturgis doesn't get the stones to come up and stab my Def 11 face. Speaking of Prayer, the tracker Prey a Bunny.

Said Preyed Bunny stays behind the others and goes to the right away from the trackers, it felt like an excellent example of the anti-Prey play that is very easy to do.

Sure enough I Meld and hide in a corner. Top of 2 Reinholdt finally gets a chance to do something, as I scalpel out the Sentry Stone. God that felt good. It's too early to get past the Tracker stealth, so I then crack the Shifting Stones.

Bottom of 2 is to me the defining moment. The Trackers attack the Bunnies, between them all they kill......

One.

A single Bunny.

Outside of assassination, I think this is easily mine.
Spray Bunny kills a couple Trackers a turn, I cede some Circle CP's, but ultimately trade up against the Heavies with the Drillers. The Satyr proves to be a pile of rubbish. Even the Stalker needed to max Fury on Primal to kill the other Driller, thus could not Sprint and get away from the Rockram.

Near the close of the game, in which three jacks are contesting both flags, Sturgis has to charge a bunny, pop his chain attack place 3 inch forward, then teleport to get to Bethayne/Belphagor with three boxes. He buys a ton of attacks, but can't chew through the armour/focus camp at all.

I then walk Belbeth away, as I can't die to the freestrike. The various Bunnies lightly scratch him due to Arcane Shield, then a Driller goes into his back, hits the boosted Drill attack and one shots him with two auto hitting attacks left.

Game end:
IPB Image

Weirdly enough, Who's the Boss felt more balanced than Speedmachine to me.
Rhulic jacks are good. Don't tell anyone. Well, maybe not the Rockram, he's merely average.
Reinholdt totally worth, now making lists with him featuring because killing Sentry Stones trivially feels too good.

Getting a few more casual games in than usual, so still three game reports behind, probably five as off tomorrow. Worth it, must Cancon again.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 5 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #311

Alright, first game after Cancon!

So, we've had errata, theme and games a plenty since it happened, but here at last is a game using the list Carey requested. This seems relevant:
IPB Image

Anywho, the list:
Shae1 - 3x Freebooter, Rorsh w/Brine, Dahlia w/Skarath, Wrongeye w/Snapjaw, Brun w/Lug, Anastasia di Bray, Commodore Cannon

I'm saved having to even pick an objective, for my phone has determined it shalt be three flags. I was essentially waiting for a Brun and Lug to emerge for purchase, as there's a limit to the amount of Proxies I'm happy to put on the table myself.

Into the at the time of writing run up for most Mark 3 games into, also flopping out some theoretically fluffy goodness.

Thyra1 (Guardians of the Temple) - Blood Of Martyrs, Vigilant, Castigator, 2x Daughters of the Flame, Flame Bringers, 2x Wracks, Temple Flameguard + UA, Pyrrus, Choir, 2x Vassal of Menoth

NO KICKY MONKS! GLORIOUS DAY!

Various odd benefits: There's a Daughter unit ambushing, Blood of Martyrs has apparition, Daughters gain Vengeance. It's cute stuff (i.e interesting, unsure if good).

I win the die roll, pick first in case there's double advance Deploy Daughters I have to deal with.

My side has a big hill, Rubble, Water and a trench. The line of flags is interspersed with a forest and fog, then has another large hill on the far right. The Menites get a wall near the left flag and an obstruction right in front of the middle flag.

There's some Legion infantry repping as the second Daughter unit and Rhyas as Thyra, I have a pair of Wardens in place of two Freebooters.

IPB Image
Merc 1: My stuff runs up! Thrilling!
Snake puts up Counterblast and goes up the guts, as Mistwalker lets it terrain it up.
On the left we have the Bears, a Freebooter and the Pigs.
The right has Shae, though centrally placed, two Freebooters, Crocs and the Cannon.
Shae gets Stormrager, because I was unsure about how it might make me play to aggressive with Wrongeye and caster armour is usually good.

My thinking is the cannon has to be central due to ambushing lameness, and the right side of the board will be relatively open once the fog goes away. Passage means I might not get sweet jack slams, but i Can always set something on fire (Against Menoth, seems like a bad play.).

I did a rough calc that put Frebooters at 16 inch threat, so that was a welcome surprise. Obviously the piece I'm really unsure on is the Bear and Dwarf, Countercharge/Return strikes me as to opponent mistake dependent (My Countercharge theory: 1 model with is rubbish. 2-3 is cute. 4-6 makes it relevant. 7+ means bugger off Axis, tired of your ####).

IPB Image
Menoth 1: The Flameguard and Jacks advance on the right side rather conservatively, including a Shield Wall, Passage on the jacks and Occultation on the unit. They also have Thyra with Gates of Death up (Her end of turn teleport).
The left is far more aggressive (Ignore the extreme left white based unit of daughters, they'll be ambushing later), the Daughter unit spreads out and goes out front, they make sure to stop outside counterblast/charge range of the Bear/Snake. The Flame Bringers and Nicia come up behind them, the cav have Silence of Death.

Going by the photos, one Daughter must have died to a Counterblast, as she's missing in the photo.

IPB Image
Merc 2: The thoughts that informed my turns decisions:
* Freebooters have a threat advantage against the opposing list, assuming we both take into account our threat ranges
* The forest and Obstruction divide the Menites in a very particular way. All their jacks are on the right, meaning that if the snake fights for the left flag Dahlia can just sit around and play her harpsichord with no recourse
* With feat, the ambushing Daughters threat 15.5 from the edge (I think that was he conclusion I came to)

For a while during the Menoth turn I considered a glorious plan. The Cannon Slams a Flameguard (Needed to be that shot for the range 20"), freeing a space for a feated Buccaneer to zoom all the way up and kill the Castigator. It's a rubbish heavy for an average one, that then probably takes some important activation's to get rid off. The last minute Occultation casting smashed that, though at least it means this isn't a game where Stealthy Cav are singing the doom song and advancing on the Commodore.

In terms of what actually happened, I opt to wait another round. I've got a unit of Daughters to attack, I can easily contest with very minimal fear of retaliation, giving me the alpha on attrition or scoring next round.

Dahlia runs up, has Haunting Melody chuffing away. She get far enough for the snake to slither up and spray down two of the Daughters and the nearest Flame Bringer (Suck it Trebek).
The left most Warden/Freebooter moves up, gets a particular spot thanks to the magic of pre-measuring, throws a Daughter such that it hits two of comrades and wipes the unit. More on that later.

Left flag just has the Bear move to contest range.

Shae chills it in front of the water, puts a Veil of Mist over the rubble so that Ninja Pig and the Freebooter can get over the centre without issue (Yay pathfinder options!). Normally Ninja Pig would be hard flanking, but that's what Ambushers can do.

Crocs go and contest the right flag, Wrongeye puts up Star Crossed. No need to Submerge, as there are no guns around. Snapjaw is in Ambush Daughter charge range, but they are unlikely to kill him so that's fine.

Looks like the Commodore didn't move. Bold, Cotton, bold. By which I mean stupid, damn thing moves at the rate of Molasses uphill, it should move whenever it isn't shooting.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 5 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #312

IPB Image
Menoth 2: The Daughter unit ambush in the bottom left of the table, from where they run in and threaten the Cannon, aside from the one who runs and engages Brun, so no Countercharge for me.

Left side wise, Nicia runs to the extreme left, then The Flame Bringers come in. One gets butchered by the Snake's Counterblast, one contests the centre flag, the other two start skinning the Bear for his coat, leaving his Grievously Injured with just his body left. Going to be a poor showcase for this duo's abilities. One then Repositions backward, stays contesting the left flag.

The right advances slowly up again, the Vigilant runs to contest the centre flag range. TFG Shield Wall and keep Occultation, Blood Martyrs behind them. Castigator goes on the right edge.
Couple of Mishaps here, Thyra teleports to far behind the obstruction and leaves teh Castigator out of control, the Choir activate late and can't passage Vigilant.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Alright, time to start scoring and deal with these damn ambushers. If I can clear out miscellaneous pieces I can ride the left flag to victory hopefully.

Anastasia ambush in on the left, charges and kill Nicia like a boss.
The left most Freebooter goes in and kills the Daughter Cav engaging the Snake/Lug.
Dahlia runs up into the forest, tags the Officer of the Flame Guard with Haunting Melody. Snake charges and clears the Flame Bringer off the left flag.
Brine ends up running over here, didn't really have a great plan here. I'd been hoping to throw the Flame Bringers into each other, but they were to far apart for such shenanigans to occur.

Lug can't heal, so just sits and Pouts.
Brun turns around, does his spray, boosts twice to hit and lucks out to pop three of the Daughters.

Rorsh sits in the Wreck Marker, due to the Choir error the Commodore Slams the Vigilant, killing a few TFG and a Choir member.

Shae drops back into the water (Amphibious triggered, can't possibly now right?(. I put down a Veil of Mists to protect the Commodore Cannon from the Ambush Daughters charge.
Centre Freebooter goes to max contest on the centre flag, Snapjaw does the same on the right, in theory in charge range of the Castigator but being out of control means he should be quite safe.

I go to 1 CP. Wish I could have scored the centre, Brine could have popped the final Flame Bringer but I didn't think my order of activations through and I suspect would peat him in range to get killed by Blood of Martyrs, which would have been not great.

IPB Image
Menoth 3: So...remember how I wiped out that Daughter unit? Means I completely forgot about Vengeance. Alas poor Commodore.

One Daughter gets the angle, charges and guts two the Commodore operators. A sad RAT 4 future is born. The other Daughter runs to be only just poking into the photo.
The last Flame Bringer charges Skarath, injures him a bit and repositions toward the Menoth edge, contesting the left flag.

Thyra feats, Strangleholds the centre Freebooter and ports back to the Choir, who sing Battle.
TFG can't run due to Dahlia, so instead they advance up and Shield Wall (In hindsight they can't do that as Orders happen at the beginning of the Activation, I suspected this but wasn't bothered by it so it happened). Pyrrus charges the centre Freebooter, stabs him a bit with his spear.
Vigilant walks back to where he was previously slammed from.

On the right flag, Blood of Martys uses Thyra feat and Apparition to get into Snapjaw and brutally murder him, enough that he probably can't be made into a handbag, leather clad pen is the best you get. Castigator limps behind him to the flag.

Points now at 1 all.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Snapjaw's death is unpleasant, but the plan is certainly intact, as the Menites remain 85% committed on the right.

On the left flag, I opt for Skarath to frenzy when he fails the Threshold check, as the Flame Bringer made itself the target. He goes in and easily kills it, though had he only hit Anastasia probably does the end work?
Brun, having cut for Fury, heals the Bear and goes to the flag, in case Dahlia somehow dies denying me the Snake score in the Menite turn. Lug riles up and runs to between next to the flag, threatening a Counter charge on an models that come to contest.
Anastasia runs up behind the wall, has a wrack in her sight for my next turn.

I don't really need my feat for any long term threatening, so the various small bonuses it gives me this turn will do. Feat pops, Shaw himself hangs in the water to camp up with Storm Rager on. Feat lets the Strangleheld Freebooter advance to engagement with Pyrrus, Commodore to shuffle, Rorsh to turn to get the aim bonus on the Daughters in my back field, the right Freebooter gets away from the two TFG engaging him without freestrikes. All relatively little for a feat, but combined it feels reasonable.

Rorsh then kills the Ambush Daughters.
The Centre Freebooter in the forest runs, more to shield Dahlia then anything else. Commodore shoots the Vigilant, only knocks it back an inch alas.
Freebooter on Pyrrus kills him without to many problems, Brine lends emotional support.

On the far right, the last Freebooter to activate and Wrongeye go into Blood of Martyrs, knock him down to one box and as a bonus kill a TFG.

Mercs go to 2 CP, it's all looking pretty good. A bit bemused by the end location of the most forward Freebooter, looking at it while writing it looks like a very silly, wasted position. I can only assume I was concerned about the Vigilant going into Dahlia, like got haunting Melody Blinded.

IPB Image
Menoth 4: Thyra charges into the forward Freebooter, messes it up right up. I think she puts her Strength buff on the TFG? At the end of the turn she'll teleport to be between the middle and right flag.
The Vigilant manages to finish off that Freebooter.
The TFG charge the Wardenbooter below the centre flag, mess it up badly, leaving just the Cortex and right arm truckin.
On the right flag, the Castigator and Blood of Martys kill Wrongeye and otherwise due very little to that Freebooter.

Mercs go to 3 CP.

IPB Image
Mercs 5: I clock out a little here, I just have to keep Shae alive and otherwise kill everything. The Menites are losing army percentage at a surprising rate.

Shae stays in the water, keeping his distance.
Brine and the centre Wardooter kill TFG and fail to do much to the Vigilant, so I can't score the centre flag for the straight up win.

The jacks are Passaged again, so the Commodore tries the longest odds shot on Thyra that misses.
The right Wardooter finishes of Blood of Martyr's, does very little to the Castigator.

At the last minute, fearing I'd misread Thyra's threat range, Dahlia runs to be in the charge lane on Shae just in case.

Mercs go to 4 CP.

IPB Image
Menoth 5: The Vigilant runs across to contest the left flag.
Castigator finishes off the right Freebooter.
Thyra goes cray cray, kills the centre Freebooter and Brine.

Menoth go to 3.

IPB Image
Mercs 6: Dahlia runs back, the Snake tries to kill Thyra and fails
I opt the no risk approach, Lug puts up his animus, boosts his attack roll, pushes the Vigilant 3 inches away from the flag.

I win on CP, 5 v 4.

Obviously not a great test of the Brlugs, Flame Bringers are a problem for Zoo builds, too quick, deadly and Grievous Wounds is evil. That said I like the scenario clearing possibilities of Lugs Animus, though probably not enough to play it outside this list at the moment.

Anastasia is value, was happy even before she chewed up and spat out Nicia like she was Sauerkraut.

Shae with Freebooters definitely has chops, the dudes worth something, my problem is I don't know what he ought to do exactly in a pairing. Worth examining.

One more wish left Carey, with no promise of results anytime soon tongue.gif
+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Feb 6 2017, 06:47 AM
Post #313

Ha, I'd forgotten about that list. Interesting. I'd have called that a problematic matchup - mostly because ambushing vengeance daughters, and flamebringers potentially getting to Shae and probably hitting.

The feat and the commodore are interesting because they keep your opponent thinking hard about placement, and variable threat ranges on everything (as well as the ability to unjam a whole line) can be pretty handy. It's definitely a utility feat and it feels weak until you've used it a few times and found all the things it can do. Sometimes it's completely pointless, but them's the breaks.

Brun and Lug were the pair I was least convinced would do work in that match, nice to see it happen.

An alternate build of that I was thinking about would include a battle boar or a Wrastler to let the lessers crack armour. It puts a lot of stress on Wrong Eye though - essentially relegates him to second line until some things die - though of course both wrong eye and the Wrastler can put the animus out, meaning at most they can buff two beasts at most 20" apart. Seems enough?

Hmm if a beast is affected by an animus and uses it's own animus it overwrites, yes? Just thinking about Snapjaw - rage then submerge for example. Limited use as if a beast has rage up it will be close enough that submerge is probably pointless.

Another variation would be to drop in a unit of PGs and Rockbottom. Probably would have been just the thing for daughters, then a small angry cloud of pressgangers with surprising threat range can chase their caster around.

As for the purpose in a list pair? Confuse your opponent? The threat ranges are not insignificant - it might push a control drop, because that's exactly what you want, right?? Yeah I have no idea.

Time to think of another jank list to inflict on you then.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 6 2017, 09:05 AM
Post #314

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Feb 6 2017, 07:47 AM) *

Ha, I'd forgotten about that list. Interesting. I'd have called that a problematic matchup - mostly because ambushing vengeance daughters, and flamebringers potentially getting to Shae and probably hitting.

Potentially, terrain was a saving grace. It attritioned much better than I gave it credit for, though the possibility of Freebooters missing that chain attack when you need it.....

Brun and Lug were the pair I was least convinced would do work in that match, nice to see it happen.

Somewhat? The big problem is the 16 point price tag, which in Mercs is a pair of useable jacks, one of them a heavy....
It's also theoretically a unit, but I'm not sure I know how to play a unit bigger than about three models right now.

An alternate build of that I was thinking about would include a battle boar or a Wrastler to let the lessers crack armour. It puts a lot of stress on Wrong Eye though - essentially relegates him to second line until some things die - though of course both wrong eye and the Wrastler can put the animus out, meaning at most they can buff two beasts at most 20" apart. Seems enough?

Hmm if a beast is affected by an animus and uses it's own animus it overwrites, yes? Just thinking about Snapjaw - rage then submerge for example. Limited use as if a beast has rage up it will be close enough that submerge is probably pointless.

Correct on the animus interaction, though I'm hesitant at best about making the lesser warlocks an even better target. Submerge in melee does have corner case points (Immune to Point Blank attacks for instance, or so my memory tells me)

As for the purpose in a list pair? Confuse your opponent? The threat ranges are not insignificant - it might push a control drop, because that's exactly what you want, right?? Yeah I have no idea.

Ayep. Got nothing. Probably need to aim to build Shae as an answer to a specific archetype I expect, Veil of Mists has some sweet plays.

Time to think of another jank list to inflict on you then.

Lessers + extra warbeasts on all of them clearly tongue.gif
+Quote Post
CareyBear
post Feb 6 2017, 10:04 AM
Post #315

Immune to gunfighter. Point blank is melee.

It's the issue with Shae. He's decent because threat extension and pathfinder and a cloud are all useful.. but he doesn't do anything we particularly need - or not affordably. If the theme discounts solos noticeably then he might have game as target saturation aka "jam this" in an infantrymachine resurgence.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 6 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #316

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Feb 6 2017, 11:04 AM) *

Immune to gunfighter. Point blank is melee.

Knew it was something that wasn't always going to be relevant tongue.gif

QUOTE(CareyBear @ Feb 6 2017, 11:04 AM) *

It's the issue with Shae. He's decent because threat extension and pathfinder and a cloud are all useful.. but he doesn't do anything we particularly need - or not affordably. If the theme discounts solos noticeably then he might have game as target saturation aka "jam this" in an infantrymachine resurgence.

I'd feel so very differently if Coup de Maine wasn't Privateer targeted...
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 7 2017, 11:24 AM
Post #317

Random pick up game into Robadodob!

Getting our Italian City State wars on as we Merc out.

Bart1 - Galleon, 2x Nomad, Freebooter, Buccaneer, Reinhdolt, Orin, Anastasia, Dahlia w/Skarath, Commodore Cannon
vs
Ossrum1 (Hammerstrike) - 3x Drillers, Rockram, 2x Bashers, Forge Guard (Max), 2x Horgenhold Artillery, Siege Crawler
Objective: Armory

I wouldn't call my Bart a cohesive list, so much as it's 3 or so modules bolted together to see what sticks. It's also illegal, as I mixed up my lists and added an extra Nomad because I suck, didn't work it out until after the game was over :-(

Anyway, testing:
* Freebooter plus Buccaneer. Sweet tech I stole from one of the local Dominar's. Knockdown with Trash sweet, plus helps the harpoon drag (Ok, not into the Rhulic jacks, but live by the Sword of Who's the Boss to lose out in the Saturday casual game)
* The Snake is there as a super contestor, drawing directly off the Shae vs Thyra experience
* Commodore/Anastasia/Orin, basically all there to see if they independently justify their points. I'm confident on the solos, and wonder of the Cannon ought to be a jack.

It's Extraction (OK, my phone generated Incursion again initially, but Muuuuummmm, I played that laaaast timmmmme......).

I win the roll, after an initial period of stupification I realise I need to pick side due to terrain.
My side has a concealment hedge, a flooded objective and a biiiig trench.
The midline, from left to right, has a forest, an enormous obstruction and another forest right on the fascist flag.
There's also a wall or something on the Ossrum side, it doesn't matter.

Basically that Obstruction is far too limiting for my Galleon, and essentially generated my game plan.

IPB Image
Round 1: The Horde of Ossum cheap heavies of evilness trample and Rep forward (slight lie about that back wall doing nothing, technically it cost a basher half an inch due to trample base placement).
Everything sticks back outside of Galleon/Commodore range.
The list has a small split, with a Basher/Driller going around the Obstruction to the left flag.
The second Artillery piece is hidden behind the building.

Obviously the Huge base with a basher on it is representative of the Siege Crawler, which is good as I maintain my position that it's normal model is as fugly as the methods used to determine how Democratic North Carolina is.

My plan is fairly simple, I'll advance, Rob will do some irritating smart positioning. The Obstruction, however, is big enough that he can't hide behind it and contest, so Freebooter will clear the Galleon's path for it to shoot and try to clear the left flag, which Dahlia will score on and use the snake/cheat Nomad to help clear. He likely won't feat until after me, then it's a matter of Galleon getting in and swinging while bit pieces contests the right flag the Rhulics will most certainly claimed.

Ergo my turn is just moving forward outside of feat/Energiser charge range of the serious heavies, don't want to lose something valuable this early.

IPB Image
Ossrum 2: I get suuuuper Sucker Punched.
Ossrum feats, ends up behind a huge clump of Hammerdwarves.

I'd been careful to place the Galleon outside of the Siege Crawler's AoE gun range, as Crit stagger would be devastating. Didn't think about the Crit triggering with the blast, which happens as the Battle Engine moves to the right flag, shoots the Freebooter, steals both it and the Galleons initials.

Just the worst.

Every single heavy then runs up and jams, three of them get next to Bart.

Hits the clock.

IPB Image
Bart 2: Yikes, talk about sideswiping. Did not see that coming at all. Plan is to somehow have a turn in this madness.

Anastasia appears, Snakes got other things to do so she's needed to score.

I've got to get Bart away from these damn heavies. Commodore Cannon does it's Slam shot to clear one of them off (They were placed not to slam into each other, as Rob is an evil player that does smart things like that). It's Def 9 base on a Driller, so I need a 5 to hit. I miss, hit the Buccaneer in the back before it activates to assault net the other one, gets Slammed down and loses an arm.

IPB Image
Well, sobbing isn't helping. It can only go up from here!
Bart feats and cops three free strikes, two from real heavies and the Basher, the Rhulic equivalent of a Freebooter (Good, situational, an excellent light on a Large base).
In the grand swing and round abouts that is a randomisation mechanic, Bart gets missed each time.

I allocated out to the right Nomad and the Galleon, so just camped two. I would have liked to give more out given batten isn't ideal right now, but without camp and being in the open it felt like a legitimate concern that Bart dies to the Artillery and Siege Crawler, specially with a cycled Fire for Effect.

Freebooter flails ineffectually, takes the Galleon and the left unfuelled Nomad to waste attacks killing a sodding Basher. Snake walks over and sprays with boosted damaged, so Corrosion on a couple Rhulic jacks. Can't be stopped now! Those damage points will be super critical!

The right Nomad (Which is the one I like to think I would actually have fielded) goes into the Crawler, does a good chunk of damage before it dies. Also serves to contest the right flag.

Anastasia runs to the left flag. Reinholdt sits in the trench, waiting to be a suicide contest piece next turn.

Barts gets 1 Up. Doesn't feel strong. Also note the extreme cruelty of those Forge Guard tormenting me with the best spray target ever, but being out of reach without a convenient charge target for Gunfighter that I don't have.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 7 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #318

IPB Image
Ossrum 3: So I got a ruling 100% wrong on this turn, which seems to be my new bad habit. I was under the impression that changing facing wasn't an advance that would trigger Barts feat. Nope
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread...thus-an-Advance

We didn't play it that way, which does create what I think is the most interesting play of the turn. And yes, the Rockram took a Corrosion point, victory now inevitable!

Freebooter, Buccaneer, Objective all killed mundanely. Crawler Bulldozes the Nomad that hit it into the Driller, which turns and kills it. Then alongside Artillery shoot up the Galleon, take out the right side.

Ossrum hides behind the forest as he has no camp. One of the Arty crew also moved up and stopped me scoring off the left flag.

Ossrum gets ahead, 2 v 1.

[imghttps://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_93XoBHyn4k/WJcb3ZeBmcI/AAAAAAAAP-E/952HMJrpFmYSLzsIUnFeEeVYjn7sM9G_gCLcB/s1600/006%2B%2528800x450%2529.jpg[/img]
Bart 3: Claim points and try to scrap a win? Galleon has to attack heavies, but can't possibly do enough. Oh dear.

Reinholdt runs and contests the Ossrum flag.
Galleon moves up, kils the Rockram, knocks arms off the left most Driller. Commoder Cannon slams another Driller into the Crawler, knocks off the Drill arm. I'll take it, those were excellent damage rolls, akin to the Buccaneer hit.

I use the cheat Nomad to kill the contesting Artillery guy. Eugh.
Anastasia stays on the flag.
Skarath sprays down four Forgeguard, corrodes another.

2 all.

IPB Image
Ossrum 4: Basher Slams the Commodore, kills the Crewman with a Flakfield and away it goes. Drillers, Arty and Siege Crawler combine to kill the Galleon.
Driller goes into Skarath, takes out his Spirit and Body.

Ossrum up 3 vs 2.

IPB Image
Can't contest with anything in a bemusing reverse of my own plan.

Mathematically impossible assassination attempt! I get a Skarath spray, need a 20+ on a three dice damage roll to get the kill. Surprisngly don't manage it. Can't get any other attacks, so that's done as Ossrum easily gets the scenario win.

Ouch, what a mauling. So much for playing 11 points up.

A poor matchup to test the various modules it would seem. Freebooter, Buccaneer didn't really get a chance, that many forward heavies is awful for Dahlia's deal.

I'm loathing not having repair, but support bloat in Bart lists is awful. More testing required.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 9 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #319

Well, this took a long time to get going. Stupid employment, does it not know I must recount my many failures at pushing war dollies around?

Alright, new day, new random pick up game, this time playing a legal list (Sometimes I almost learn!):

Bart1 - Galleon, Nomad, Freebooter, Buccaneer, Reinholdt, Dahlia w/Skarath, Anastasia, Commodore Cannon
vs
Axis1 - 2x Inverter, Cipher, 2x Diffuser, 2x TEP, some Puncture Servitors, multiple of the Reflex Servitors

Outflank, the terrain I end up with a forest impeding access to both zone and a central obstruction. Convergence get a more awkward forest on the left, an experimental fog (Three templates, when the 1/2 comes up we randomise one of the templates to go rather than all of them) and a trench in the right zone.

I win the roll, select first to get up the board. CoC, obviously, take the fog side.

IPB Image
Round 1: Coc have gone refused flank with most of their stuff, so my opening move out features a little redeployment. No super concrete plan, beyond small module things (Orin to lightning out servitors, Galleon to shoot whatever is available). See how things pan out.

On the left I have the Snake and the Cannon, the Commodore does suffer severe telegraphing when going first as it is so limp in its movement. It went left as it was the more open and trenchless side, I'm not expecting huge things from it this game.

Centre rightish the Galleon goes up into the right forest, the other jacks then form a conga line to the left. Buccaneer/Freebooter where originally on the right, I trashed a move box to get the pseudo heavy across. Bart also ends up on this side, though given how super steady the enemy is I expect to hold my feat until a time when Axis will walk to commit, as the other non steady models are irrelevant (I think it's the Diffusers and the Corrolary). Orin is also on this side, I'm hoping to put him in the forest nook and do the electric zappy plan.

Convergence mostly move forward. It's Servitors for days on the left, with the front line being the Countercharge nobs who Dig in, then a back line of the Puncture attack dudes.
Centre has most of the Battlegroup and Axis. Diffuser goes into the right zone trench, after which go the TEP's. Behind the TEP's are also a couple more Reflex Servitors hoping to mess up Anastasia.

The top left of the fogs goes away.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Alright, so this looks to be working out. The Servitors are spread out far enough left and right that the Lightning plan, which was looking bad due to the TEP's sticking close to each other with their free Servitor chumps, is irrelevant. I'm OK with my 39 point activation not relying on the squishy solo surviving. I'm going to cede scenario points which I hate, need this turn to secure the left zone so I can turn that around next round.

On the left is phase 1 of hopefully 2 Servitor clear outs. Anastasia ambushes in, between her, the Commodore and Snake the Coutnercharge bobbing heads all go away. Alas, Abinaaaar correctly didn't give me a Commodore Slam option to implode a back line Puncture dude.
Dahlia hid behind the forest, Haunting Melody optimistically up (Living opposing models: Axis. List complete.).

Centre wise, the Freebooter and Buccaneer move to the left. if my long term plan becomes apparent hopefully they can get stuck into whatever heavy moves over to contest the left zone, though again the amount of steady makes the module rather sad.
Galleon goes behind the Obstruction, which saves it from being utterly trashed by jacks the next turn. Lines up on the left most Diffuser, begins the Pew Pew.
Sadly I roll a low amount of shots, so pop the two central Shield Guards and only get one hit on the Diffuser. The price of relying on average dice rolls on your random shot generation is a mighty one.

The Nomad slithers to be between the Obstruction and right forest. Turns out some of the local meta do read the blog and work out how I play, so there was a quick convo along the lines of

"That looks like bait"
"Erm.....um.......maybe?"

So yeah, bait Nomad goes forward.
Orin goes into his zone toeing forest corner, zaps a TEP. One bounce that fails to break armour on a Servitor. Regretting some life decisions at this point, though not as much as Orin is about to be.

IPB Image
CoC 2: On the left, a Flarebot toes the top of the zone, hits Anastasia. The three Puncture bots then aim and do three point (Acupuncture: Not even once).
There's one Reflex Servitor left on this side, it runs to be a few inches from the Commodore Cannon. That'll be a *great* 7 point activation....

Centre wise, the Battlegroup advances tepidly, sticking out of the Freebooters threat range (Though really, the Sturdy jacks had very little to fear. Their armour isn't great, but they can easily weather the POW 14's.). The left most Diffuser toes the left zone.
On the right, one TEP sprays the Nomad, rolls laughably bad, doing a total three boxes. The right Diffuser and a Servitor run to specific locations in front of the Nomad, serve as target locations for the Cipher to throw down rough terrain. I quite liked this play, though it makes the Nomad a sad sack.
Last the other TEP moves far enough across to blast down Orin. Such was likely to be.

CoC go to 1 CP.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Bit of a quandary. I can't afford to give up the Galleon, which makes contesting the right zone problematic. My plan was to throw in suicide contestors into the right zone, curve the Galleon around the left side of the obstruction and effectively seal the left zone, so that I'd score on Convergence turns and pull ahead that way.

Clearing out the left zone duty first, the Snake pops the contesting Flare and a Puncture Servitor. That success lets Anastasia move right up and kill the Reflex Servitor threatening the Commodore. As the Snake maxed Fury to cast Counterblast, Dahlia runs to the extreme left, relying in distance to keep her safe (Puncture bots being incapable of killing her. 5 health boxes stronk!

This leaves the Diffuser towing. Galleon moves around, little guns blow up the Diffuser and he then drags in the Inverter next to it and smacks it to death. Eventual Shield Guard kills benefits.

Commodore, Freebooter and Bart all move around in the backfield, the Cannon desperately attempting to be relevant, Bart hiding behind the Colossal, the 'booter getting set to replace the Nomad as the one off contestor next round.

Said Nomad charges into the zone, triggers a counter charge that moves the Cipher forward (inevitable but ultimately acceptable). Hits the Diffuser for a reasonable sum according to my hazy recall.

Reinholdt is also still alive, getting intimate with the far right board edge.

Scores go to 1 each.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Feb 9 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #320

IPB Image
CoC 3: On the left, a Puncture servitor moves into the zone 9I should have moved the Snake further across for the Counterblast trigger). The other hangs back.

On the right, the clockists get control of the zone super hard. The TEP's kill the Nomad, in a sharp reverse of their previous attempts.
The Cipher charges forward into the Freebooter, I think it pops off a claw and otherwise rolls awfully.
The Inverter stays hiding behind the objective, making the Commodore a sad man (Though, as a withered corpse consisting of at most 50% it's original state, he was probably already sad if we wre to transpose some manner of humanoid thought to him).

3v1 to Convergence.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Well, this is awkward, I've not accounted for Dominating the zone appropriately in my long term planning. Have to contest the right zone as much as I can. I'm well ahead on clock, so we'll try to push through that.

The left zone is easily cleared, as Anastasia kills yet another and the Snake does another and Counterblasts, moving to trigger range of anything going for the left zone. Dahlia stays super out of the way.

Now, onto the dear-god-how-do-contest part. The Cipher is blocking everything, so the Cannon tries a Slam shot as the only viable option (Freebooter ain't killing or throwing it with one hand, Galleon has other places to be). Unlike last time I tried a desperate Commodore Slam, this time it hits and knocks the Cipher well out of the way.
Freebooter tepidly slaps at the Cipher, but ultimately doesn't do great.
Bart feats, hangs in the backfield out of TEP spray range, camps 3.
Galleon runs to get into the zone, engages all the jacks to stop Counter Charges.
Reinholdt runs into the right edge of the zone.

3 vs 2, still Gearheads in charge.

IPB Image
CoC 4: On the left, a Servitor suicides to get rid of Counterblast, freeing up another to go in and contest.

On the right, a TEP advances, sprays the Freebooter down to a box of movement.
The other TWP pew pews at the Galleon.
Cipher and Inverter go into the Colossal, there was a timing/space issue here, in that the Cipher wasn't in range to pass on focus. Only one of them Axis feat as well, though I don't recall exactly how it played out. Galleon ended still with his left grid on about 2/3rd's health.

Axis feated and charged in for the win, per my mild dreams this meant he went into Bart's Feat and fell over in front of the Galleon.

With that, I surprisingly live, with Axis knocked down and camping 3 in front of me. Time to try to screw this up. Scores remain at 3v2.

IPB Image
Merc 5: The plan is devastatingly simple. Punch Axis 5 times, four of them being the good arm. Or we could have a sodding embolism and not do that at all.

Bart moves up, puts Hot Shot on the Galleon, sprays it to hit Axis, boosts damage for not much.
Galleon rolls up shots, hits Axis with the Harpoon. The last available Servitor Shield Guards it and dies, so no melee attacks for this activation. Oh god. My mental stats are clearly the equivalent of High Shields (Needs a solo to fix it).

My saving grace is that I rolled a high amount of shots on the good arm. When the dust settles, Axis is down to about 5 or 6 boxes and no camp.

Time for mega desperation.

Dahlia runs across. Skarath moves over, sprays. Hits. Needs a 10 to kill. Boost.

I roll exact.

Undeserved victory!

Convergence: Not getting me to drop Bart anytime soon. Or at least this trashy iteration. One day the Freebooter will get a chance.
It feels reminiscent of my Cancon IG lists, which telegraphed that you should drop your Pull immune stuff, except it applies to Knock Down. Granted, not as likely to happen generically then if I just do pick up games into Convergence.

My real issue is I finally did the latter half of this one on the day the Una nerf came out, which is what I'd been dojoing for. Now I've got to realign myself, whilst I've also been missing game nights due to overtime.
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 08:09 AM