> Dragon Rampant, Intro games
b20f08
post Feb 11 2019, 04:49 AM
Post #1

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Been offline for a bit. Just popped in to let everyone know we enjoyed our intro game of DR using our dusty Warhammer Fantasy figures late January. Played the first two scenario from the book: the slugfest for the Brewer's Barrels on Kegger Hill. The Dwarves put up a good stoush. But the thirsty Beastmen of Derek would not be denied their ale in the end.

Game Two was a snatch and run. Kevin and his horny fellows managed to purloin a treasure chest of Dwarven gold and were racing to freedom. But the Brewer and his warband were determined to stop the hooven horde. And they looked like they would succeed as the Quarrellers made some decimating hits on the speedy furballs. And when the Spearmen of Khruddz reached the exit point first, it looked to be all over Red Rover. Especially as the heroic brewer himself, Clive, roamed at will sniping and taunting his foes with impunity. But Kevin's lot, as in the previous, would not denied. Using attrition they whittled the Little Stumpies until they resembled tiny pencils worn down to their ends.

It was an entertaining three easy hours. Game went slow at first but picked up pace considerably in the second game. Next game in two weekends. Night Goblins versus Lustrians perhaps. Will post pics then. Cheers. ☺

This post has been edited by b20f08: Feb 11 2019, 04:51 AM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Feb 12 2019, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Game 1 pics
IPB Image
Deployment. View from Attacker end (north looking south)

IPB Image
The prize - the kegs of ale

IPB Image
Opening moves all over.

IPB Image
Situation in my centre and right.

IPB Image
My left flank is secure. The centre and right is still in contention.

IPB Image
The situation between the orange roughies and my Gors.

IPB Image
The end is nigh for the beaten Dwarves. The kegs now belong to the thirsty Beasties.

Game 2 pics
IPB Image
Table set up. Game played much faster. A game snatch and run away.

IPB Image
The beasties race to the exit but the dwarves will close that egress very quickly. The dwarves activation and shooting is much more consistent and regular. Clive with magic sword is also providing the Dwarves with some fine moments of tabletop mayhem.

IPB Image
By attrition and shrewd avoidance of Clive and slice-and-dicer, the beasties are able to even their chances. In the end, the losses on the dwarves proves too much and they give up the fight for their treasure.

=====================================
Table: 4' x 4'

24 points

Lists - Dwarven vs Beastmen
=====================================

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Feb 13 2019, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,027

Great reports! Thanks for sharing! smile.gif

Looks like it provide a use for all those small scatter shot forces I've accumulated over time smile.gif

--------------------
ausbowl.com - The home of Australian Blood Bowl
theendzone.co- The burgeoning home of New Zealand Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Feb 13 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #4

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

QUOTE(D_Arquebus @ Feb 13 2019, 11:40 AM) *

Great reports! Thanks for sharing! smile.gif

Looks like it provide a use for all those small scatter shot forces I've accumulated over time smile.gif

True and thanks. Beats accumulating dust on shelf. biggrin.gif. Game is a good supplement to other fantasy systems because it is fast. Last game took around 40 mins! Typical unit sizes are 6 or 12 figs. Cause it's fantasy though, you now have two other unit types - single (heroic) and reduced model (typically 3 figs). 24 points (most common) but system is flexible enough to 'bigger', but trade off depends on your definition of skirmish.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Feb 24 2019, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Game held yesterday. Scenario 3 from the book - Death Race. It came down to the laws of attrition. And who would hold their nerves first. Fought between Elves and Dwarves.

IPB Image
Table setup. Dwarves (defender) start at eastern table edge. They must escape via western table edge. Standing in ther way are the Elves.

IPB Image
Deployment. Dwarves lay down entirely first with units touching eastern border. Elves cannot deploy closer than 18" to dwarves. And at least one unit apiece must touch north and south edge.

IPB Image
Midway through game. Elves strike first blood with Light Riders shooting up Dwarven spears. Elven archers aren't doing well as the Dwarf warlord races as far as the Little Forest before confronted. The Berserkers smash into the Elven spears who survive the onslaught. After to and fro-ing, the berserkers are eventually broken but at a cost. The Dwarf missile units join in the action and enjoy fantastic success routing the Elvish spears and both archers units.

IPB Image
But then the dwarves suffer the loss of their valiant warlord who somehow manages to tackle both Elvish horse with capability for a short while before he is felled. The remaining dwarves test for courage, and prove to be stout.

IPB Image
The Thunderers are attacked by the Dragon Princes. Their demise leaves just the crossbows left.

IPB Image
Though cornered the Quarrellers are able decimate the Light Riders leaving just the heavy knights left to deal with.

IPB Image
Slowly forced to the table edge, the crossbows hope their frepower might neutralise the heavy armoured knights. But they fail and are forced to flee. A close run thing.

Next game will be Beasties versus Orcs and Goblins. Running a league. More info on my blogsite. Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 17 2019, 01:10 PM
Post #6

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

No games this month. April will be busy though. Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Mar 18 2019, 06:27 AM
Post #7

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,027

Somehow missed the Elf v Dwarf report earlier.

Great write up! Thanks for sharing smile.gif .

Is game time speeding up with familiarity?
How quickly do you feel the rules mastery is occurring so that you can both focus on the tactics instead?

Looking froward to the Beastmen vs Orcs smile.gif

--------------------
ausbowl.com - The home of Australian Blood Bowl
theendzone.co- The burgeoning home of New Zealand Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 18 2019, 07:57 AM
Post #8

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Thanks.

Familiarity is made easier by the understanding the system which is very easy to learn. My opponent is new but picked up the game mechanics in our first outing. It does helps when one is very familiar with Daniel Mersey's game system design. Speaking for myself, I began with his historical version, Lion Rampant. Started playing it back end of 2015. Started solo campaigning in 2016. Into my fourth season now (2019).

Dragon Rampant, in my "jaundiced" eyes, is simply an off-shoot of Lion Rampant - albeit extremely popular enough overseas to see its inception as a fun alternative for those feel the need to magically twitch their dice rolls. biggrin.gif Apart from the expansion of the Leadership skills table, changed game victory terminology, big addition of the fantasy magical component, two new unit types (the single figure heroic leader AND reduced model unit), and a couple of other minor elements, the core gaming mechanics is exactly the same as Lion Rampant!

So, yes, I am extremely familiar with the rules and tactics. I do like that DR adds another element with the magic/fantasy. It isn't on the same level of sophistication as Warhammer fantasy -- it is skirmish after all with the emphasis on quick fun encounters.

I am of the opinion that the game is a simple medieval clash of arms with a dash/sprinkling of puff-puff. The table tactics is exactly like LR. The key with understanding and utilisation of the basic troop type is the same for any astute tabletop general; the sleight-of-hand waving about adds a touch of flair to the tabletop fun.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Mar 18 2019, 10:06 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 19 2019, 11:30 AM
Post #9

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Simple way to defeat a Leader figure with a Blessed weapon is hope he fails his activation for that weapon at the commencement of the game (he needs a 5 or 6 to successfully activates his magic weapon).

If that option fails, and he is wielding his magic dice-and-slicer, run units of Elite riders at it. But remove the WC factor by giving them Level Headed attribute which removes the mandatory impulsiveness Wild Charge brings. Their 3+ attack and 4 armour save PLUS unit size (6 figures minimum), should deal to El Lordo quick enough.

Or you could go long range heavy missiles (usually crossbows with their 4+ to hit and 12" effective range -- 18" max but at -1 for longer range) at the figure in the hope he cops those hits quickly. You could even use Heavy foot with the Offensive attribute: 4+ attack AND defend is ok; 12 figures gives you time to whittle down Mr Magic Scissorhands. Lol.

Of course, if you have a magic user, you can throw a few spells to counter that Blessed weapon capability (reroll all missed Attack dice). I prefer to use the Befuddle Thee spell to cause the Grand Poobah to go straight to Battered state, instantly negating his sheer awesomeness to frightened onion peeler! Used in conjunction with a timed assault by a suitable unit (Elite foot or Elite Riders) at Los Stupendous can prove surprisingly beneficial to you.

Up to the individual player if he wants El Presidente on his heroic lonesome or surrounded by bodyguards. Best sensible option would be within any unit of at least 6, or more, figures. Or just keep him behind a suitable wall of willing "bodies".

This post has been edited by b20f08: Mar 19 2019, 03:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 19 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Further to the above, you can augment the Bossman's offensive prowess with magical armour. But one needs to be mindful that The Chairman of the Board has a total limit of 10 points. In a 24-pt list, that leaves little left for recruiting other troops. Example: A leader drawn from Elite costs 6 pts (base value). With a Blessed wpn, that's 2 pts; and Mystical Armour, there's your 10-pt total.

The better option would be to place Mr Universe among a missile unit so they get to share the Blessed Weapon attribute! Rerolling failed hits is now double trouble for any unlucky opponent

Maxxing out on your leader affects unit costs. If going with crossbows, that means it now costs 6 pts to assemble. With Captain Adama attached, you'll have already spent 16 points total! The remaining eight points might yield two-three low powered units, generally speaking which may prove to be nothing more than mere speed bumps in your tabletop crusade. But players can be quite resourceful when it comes to extracting the best value from a horde of skelos or zombies. armata_PDT_36.gif

This post has been edited by b20f08: Mar 19 2019, 03:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 20 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #11

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

There are two troop types in Dragon Rampant that I am beginning to enjoy a lot -- the Bellicose Foot (or Fierce Foot as they're known in Lion Rampant) and the Scout (or Bidower in Lion Rampant). They share the same basic traits as their historical equivalent. Therefore, playing them on the table is a very familiar exercise.

Both figure well offensively and should therefore be employed so. All Bellicose Foot (BF) have the Wild Charge (WC) trait which means anything within movement distance is batter mix material and therefore automatically attacked -- even if they don't want to. Fortunately, you have a check system: the unit must pass the test to activate a Wild Charge - 2d6 with 7+ result for success. If it doesn't pass the WC test, then it does not activate. The BF also have an interesting add-on trait: they are able to Counter Charge (CC) any foot unit assaulting them.

The Scouts (Sc) have the Skirmish ability meaning that offensively they can move AND shoot in the same turn (Shot and then move or Move and then shoot). A handy tool given no other unit type may perform this same action. They also have the defensive equivalent, Evade, which is quite handy when being charged by those clanky noisy tin pots or ferocious snapping maws of beasts and like! Be careful though, the 1 armour save makes them very cheap fodder. In saying that their 8" move (also shared by the BF) makes small compensation along with Fleet Footed (no terrain penalties).

The Scouts also have Hard To Target (like their historical counterparts) because they are so fluid on the tabletop battlefield. That 1 armour save puts them into the same pile as Ravenous Hordes (or Serfs in LR) which are the true and ultimate battlefield fodder! But Fleet Footed, Evade, Skirmish and Hard To Target elevate them to top of that fodder pile!

Both types mentioned above are very handy as flankers. They will, depending on their dice rolls, prove ideal in delaying any opposing unit to their front, which is handy should any simultaneous multi frontal assaults take place (as you do when you hear that the fantasy Powerball Lotto is now $80 gazillion gold pieces!). The mounted can also achieve the same goal but are more mobile. I prefer to centre my more mobile troops offering them more flexibility; holding the centre position allows for greater divergence tactically. But that's my opinion.

The Bellicose Foot Defensive Value (DV) is not great when compared to their more useful 3+ Attack Value (AV). But that's okay; they are made for fast offensive strikes. To sustain it, they need support to maintain and possibly exploit that initial strike, a heavy/light foot or light rider unit is handy.

3+ is the top limit as far as AV goes. In my last game with my regular opponent I ran my Bellicose Foot (Elvish spearmen) against his ginger-bearded Dwarves (also Bellicose Foot). It was an amusing sideshow treat watching his Gingernuts go head-to-head with my Pinky Tuscaderoes! The conclusion was foregone but at least it meant my flank on that side was relatively safe for a short while.

One interesting fact that may, or may not, be of use to budding DR players. The Heavy and Light Foot share the same interesting 4+ DV. What[s interesting is that their AV is 5+! This means they are better defensively. With Wall of Spear (increasing their armour saves to 4 and 3 respectively), their value increases as defensive walls. However, if you drop the Wall of Spear and replace it with Offensive, their AV goes to 4+ making a decent well-rounded unit (AV 4+, DV 4+). Making them the ideal main body troops capable of reinforcing any breakthrough or shoring up the defences.

My opponent successfully proved this many times in our last game. I thought my riders would break them but they proved resistant and resilient!

Their corresponding AV, however, is 5+ which is on the same par as an AV of 6!

This post has been edited by b20f08: Mar 20 2019, 11:39 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd March 2019 - 03:51 PM