User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dkou
post Oct 24 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 1,440

Will be discussed tonight on Direct Misfire's podcast. Very interesting indeed Matt

--------------------
Sellick
A Direct Misfire podcast rambler

Direct Misfire Facebook
Direct Misfire Youtube
+Quote Post
DC
post Oct 24 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 603

A few thoughts, focused on evaluation.

Despite an initial and automatic dislike because I am old and dislike new things with their weird haircuts and annoying music, I think this is a clever and interesting idea.

In terms of evaluation:

First and last will be the question of whether people like it. Of course, duh: the reason I mention this at all is to note the risk of thinking "well, people should like it" if they don't. Conversely, if people really like it then that goes some way to trumping other concerns that may arise.

I would suggest taking views a few days after the events to get considered thoughts rather than hyped-up, on the day high, mentally tired views. Noting that we will be playing five games which is a lot of mental effort, even with just 1200-pters.

After "is it fun" the key question is "does it make a difference?". One way of looking at this is in terms of the maths of whether it changes, or looks like it could change, the rank order, comparing results with what might have been using just W/L/D+ attrit? I insert the "look like it could" qualifier because (i) 5 games is potentially not enough to tell for sure (ii) some people may will change their lists to suit (looking at you Tas) and/or play styles (and if they don't, why bother?) and (iii) it may affect the draw for rounds 2+, all of which will tend to limit, a bit, the exactness of the comparison with the counterfactual situation of playing under the 'usual' pack.

It would be interesting, while sounding out on the fun or not fun factor, why people liked it or not and whether it does change play styles. And notwithstanding my comment about the risk of going to 'well you should like it', one might discount concerns along the lines of 'I hate it, my listhammered trick-army doesn't work any more'.(*)

Back to the maths, one might keep an eye out for whether attainment of game objectives at the high end is just a proxy for attrition - one generally can't grab the goodies unless one smashes one's opponent's army. If so, there are possibly two responses to this. First, just stick with attrition. Secondly, and this would be for trying down the track: ditch attrition and just score on W/L/D and achieving game objectives.

And now some other thoughts by way of things to think about.

I do have a niggle in my mind about the reasoning in relation to play styles. One might, just as easily say "so what?" about armies and styles that just win, but just. This is, to be clear, about the reasoning towards the outcome, not the outcome itself.

But it does lead me to my one, maybe, prior-to-trying-it reservation. It may be that some armies are particularly advantaged or disadvantaged by this approach - particularly armies that rely on hammer and don't work well with more, smaller, units. If there is such a thing, that is.

(*) of course there will still be listhammering, but different. If it changes gameplay.

This post has been edited by DC: Oct 24 2017, 12:37 PM

--------------------
QUOTE(Dies Irae @ Jan 14 2011, 03:26 PM) *

In order to have a hobby we need enthusiastic, creative people who like toy soldiers.
+Quote Post
mattc
post Oct 24 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,630

Damo, thanks for your thoughts.

It is definitely at the moment for playtesting only. Re the maths... we have done plenty but retrospectively doing the maths isn't the best comparison. On average though it rewards scenario wins more, seems to decrease blowouts and also rewards consistent winning

Re your other things to think about, I have no doubt it will change how the game is played. In that way it should be thought of like another CoK book. Potentially meta shifting. Certainly not suggesting everybody should adopt it.

Decisions will d fintiely be made on whether the majority like it (and so far it seems to be the case - but extensively play tested), but in the end historically each tournament is different and it's up to the TO.
+Quote Post
ken-in-yorks
post Oct 24 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,532

Blackjack Updated - Beta 3.1 is up armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
"Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the latter than the former. Space we can recover, lost time, never"
+Quote Post
ken-in-yorks
post Oct 24 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,532

Blackjack Updated - Beta 3.1 is up armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
"Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the latter than the former. Space we can recover, lost time, never"
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th February 2020 - 01:36 AM