Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 8th Edition 40k..., I think I hate this game.
Maxo_Q
post Jul 5 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Social Vampire
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 4,233

I tried, I really did.

The first read of the rules made it seem intriguing, but after playing it for a bit and watching lots of battles, reading through codecies and FAQ's.

I think this game is utter garbage. Im starting to think the people who really love it are mentally damaged.

Its tedious, formulaic and dull.

Buckets of dice... just buckets and buckets of them.

Standing there watching an opponent roll 58 dice looking for 3's and re-rolling misses is just dull. Turning around and charging him to roll my 50 dice looking for 3's to hit with +1's to hit and rerolls on ones is just dull and uninspiring.

I keep looking for tactics that don't involve stacking dice in your favourable phase, things like a shooting precision army, or a points denial army, or an army that moves around and I just don't seem to find anything viable beyond "I do combat well, buckets of dice in that phase and reroll bubbles" or "I do shooting well so buckets of dice and reroll buffs in that phase"

I didn't play 7th, so I don't know how bad it was for people to think that this is a better game.

I was excited when I saw movement characteristics were coming back, but then I saw that everyone still basically moves 6 but some things can move 7 or 8.

Vehicles with wounds makes the game flow faster, doesn't make vehicles very interesting.

Line of sight and terrain are pretty worthless now.

It just feels like an abstract dice system attached to some pretty trinkets and card game (which feels more like snap than anything else)

The game is designed to get outcomes regardless of logic, and that doesn't work for me. Overwatch is ludicrous, pile in a consolidation are excessive.

The removal of the old strength vs toughness system has ruined any individuality weapons had, made vehicles vulnerable to stupid things and sucked so much flavour out of the game.

The switch from 7 - WS and BS to flat dice targets has ruined the flavour of having elite units face elite units vs weak units facing elite units.

5th ed and 2nd ed are far superior versions than this game.

Ordinarily with a game I don't enjoy Id be like "eh ill come back next edition." This edition makes me not even want to buy 40k models anymore.

When AoS replaced 8th Fantasy I felt like "eh this is not my game, ill keep playing 8th" with this edition I feel like "Maybe Im just done with 40k as a thing in my life."

As someone who owns 14 40k armies, that is a very weird feeling.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2018 - 03:27 AM