Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When to determine cover saves?
Jedaz
post Oct 1 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 16,336

I have been thinking about two different scenarios and wondering as to when you decide what cover saves you should receive.

Take scenario 1. You have 2 units A and B. An enemy C shoots a blast at unit A which also hits unit B. Unit A is positioned in a way such that it would draw cover from unit B normally. However the opponent forces you to take wounds on unit B first. Say that unit B is wiped out. It comes time to now allocating wounds to Unit A. Do they get a cover save as if unit B was still there as the shooting is simultaneous? Or because the unit is no longer there, they receive no cover benefit.

Take scenario 2. You have a squadron of vehicles. They are all lined up in a conga line as shown below.

E

V1
V2

Say the enemy causes 5 glances and wrecks the front vehicle with 3 of them, can Vehicle 2 claim a cover save on the remaining 2 glances from the wreckage of Vehicle 1?

Do you determine cover saves after resolving each shot, or do you determine cover saves after generating the wound pools?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Harvey Birdman
post Oct 3 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,103

I would not have even thought about it and given the Infantry the cover save, because they were in cover when I shot.
Likewise, the vehicle squadron wouldn't get cover from the dead guy out the front until AFTER I resolved that unit's shooting.
Purely instinctual responses here. I'll have a look and let you know if I find something.
+Quote Post
Harvey Birdman
post Oct 3 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #3

Ahh, Determine Cover Saves says it's when you allocate the wound.
So by wound pool. follow steps.
+Quote Post
Harvey Birdman
post Oct 3 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #4

So in the case of the Blast Weapon, they get cover until after that weapon is resolved.

In the Vehicle Squadron, the same weapons don't give cover from front casualties, but a new weapon will.

Example: 2 Lascannons kill the front Russ, two Missile Launchers hit the second Russ that is now in cover.
4 Lascannons will not dish out cover saves.
+Quote Post
Jedaz
post Oct 7 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,336

Thanks for replying. This is my instinct too, but my reading wasn't entirely in agreement as the "Determining Cover Saves" section talks about "when you come to allocate a Wound". Since you allocate wounds from a wound pool one at a time it wound seem to indicate that you determine the cover save for the model at that exact point.

I think I will keep playing it the way you have outlined though as it seems the most intuitive.
+Quote Post
Lord Zereul
post Dec 13 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,371

Vehicles in a squadron share the wounds they suffer so after the first one is destroyed any remaining wounds carry on to the second vehicle. Much in the same way as shooting infantry the guys in the back line of their squad get no cover save as there the same unit.

Thats how I read it.

--------------------
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study hard. Be Evil!

Usually found hanging around ACE Comics and Games Annerley
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 10:36 PM