Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fantasy tables at Cancon, What a f###ing travesty and total joke.
6d6
post Jan 27 2018, 03:14 PM
Post #1

Boat Person

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 9,393

Anyone see the fantasy tables at Cancon? A friend shared them up. Bare chipboards with paper printouts for terrain. What a f###ing travesty. People payed for travel and tickets to play there.

--------------------
6th ed Warhammer Fantasy rules rule!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kthx
post Jan 27 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,984

Got a link?
+Quote Post
6d6
post Jan 27 2018, 08:55 PM
Post #3

Boat Person

Tried to not working sorry.

This post has been edited by 6d6: Jan 27 2018, 08:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Munster
post Jan 27 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 120

The Kings of War ones looked ok, however terrain has always been up to the organisers and participants to sort out
+Quote Post
FrozenBeard
post Jan 29 2018, 07:38 AM
Post #5

Group: ETC team
Member No.: 15,541

QUOTE(6d6 @ Jan 27 2018, 03:14 PM) *

Anyone see the fantasy tables at Cancon? A friend shared them up. Bare chipboards with paper printouts for terrain. What a f###ing travesty. People payed for travel and tickets to play there.

Wow. How about you find out a few facts first before flying off the handle and making yourself look like a total squeezer.

In previous years the terrain has been supplied by the Cancon organisers. At late notice they informed the organisers of the T9A Tournament that no terrain was available so rather than the event not go ahead they decided to use 2d terrain. The bulk of the players are from interstate so there just wasn't enough terrain around in Canberra for us.

And before you make a bigger knob of yourself by complaining about some of the unpainted armies.... Due to the recent introduction of the new rules, the TO's waived painting scores to let people run whatever new units were available to them.

I prefer to play on 3d terrain with painted armies, but I'd rather see 32 guys have great time playing T9A than not have an event at all.

I fail to see what good comes of your post. All you're doing is causing conflict. I see that you're in Brisbane. I am also. I don't know who you are in real life but if you've played any Ninth Age tournaments in Brisbane then it's likely we've met. I'd be happy to discuss this more at the next Tournament in Brisbane where all of the tables have 3d terrain. . Look me up. Lastly, if you dont play any tournaments then why are you even commenting in the first place?

Glen

--------------------
The Checker Of Lists
+Quote Post
AdamG
post Jan 29 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,340

QUOTE(FrozenBeard @ Jan 29 2018, 08:38 AM) *

Wow. How about you find out a few facts first before flying off the handle and making yourself look like a total squeezer.

In previous years the terrain has been supplied by the Cancon organisers. At late notice they informed the organisers of the T9A Tournament that no terrain was available so rather than the event not go ahead they decided to use 2d terrain. The bulk of the players are from interstate so there just wasn't enough terrain around in Canberra for us.

And before you make a bigger knob of yourself by complaining about some of the unpainted armies.... Due to the recent introduction of the new rules, the TO's waived painting scores to let people run whatever new units were available to them.

I prefer to play on 3d terrain with painted armies, but I'd rather see 32 guys have great time playing T9A than not have an event at all.

I fail to see what good comes of your post. All you're doing is causing conflict. I see that you're in Brisbane. I am also. I don't know who you are in real life but if you've played any Ninth Age tournaments in Brisbane then it's likely we've met. I'd be happy to discuss this more at the next Tournament in Brisbane where all of the tables have 3d terrain. . Look me up. Lastly, if you dont play any tournaments then why are you even commenting in the first

place?

Glen

Lmao love it

--------------------
Achievements:

WHFB Ranked 1 baby !! 21/2/2014

Warhammer masters 2011

Warhammer masters 2013

ETC 2015 Australian team player : 10th! Top 10 baby
+Quote Post
6d6
post Jan 29 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #7

Boat Person

QUOTE(FrozenBeard @ Jan 29 2018, 07:38 AM) *

I fail to see what good comes of your post. All you're doing is causing conflict. I see that you're in Brisbane. I am also. I don't know who you are in real life but if you've played any Ninth Age tournaments in Brisbane then it's likely we've met. I'd be happy to discuss this more at the next Tournament in Brisbane where all of the tables have 3d terrain. . Look me up. Lastly, if you dont play any tournaments then why are you even commenting in the first place?

Glen

Yep. 2 weeks out the local connects said no to terrain. To's decided to go ahead with it. People had fun. #### was talked. Dice were rolled.

Yours truly,
Total squeezer big knob.

--------------------
+Quote Post
kakwah
post Jan 29 2018, 09:13 PM
Post #8

Group: Bad Trader
Member No.: 14,670

QUOTE(FrozenBeard @ Jan 29 2018, 08:38 AM) *

Glen

This smells like fakenews to me. Im pretty sure this is not entirely true as I have supplied a bunch of terrain (20 tables) for t9a before.

Not having confirmation on terrain 2 weeks out from event seems like somebody is not doing a very good job (hint: its not the cancon organisers)

Should of just had a best terrain competition and Dru would have bought some sweet tables to try and win it #thatssodru

--------------------
Proud to be a #wollongronk
------------------------

Tweet@gronkhammer

QUOTE(Blade_of_Apollo @ Jul 31 2014, 11:46 AM) *

Fun: A process whereby you take off all your opponents toys whilst they sit huddled in a corner, rocking back and forth whilst you cackle with glee and admiration at your own skill.
+Quote Post
FrozenBeard
post Jan 29 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Group: ETC team
Member No.: 15,541

QUOTE(kakwah @ Jan 29 2018, 09:13 PM) *

This smells like fakenews to me. Im pretty sure this is not entirely true as I have supplied a bunch of terrain (20 tables) for t9a before.

Not having confirmation on terrain 2 weeks out from event seems like somebody is not doing a very good job (hint: its not the cancon organisers)

Should of just had a best terrain competition and Dru would have bought some sweet tables to try and win it #thatssodru

Talk to Ivan and he can confirm

--------------------
The Checker Of Lists
+Quote Post
Orion_76
post Jan 29 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,543

QUOTE(kakwah @ Jan 29 2018, 10:13 PM) *

2 years ago you supplied us with some terrain for the 9th Age event (nowhere near 20 tables worth, thats for sure... and if you brought that much we certainly didnt use it). I also took some terrain up from Hampton... then we eneded up having enough terrain for a 60 player event (we were about 30). CGS supplied us with the bulk of it all, a lot more than we expected; at least 2 thirds of the terrain was theirs, probably more. Might wanna get your facts straight mate.

I was counting on the same amount of terrain this year. I was away from the country for over a year and missed last cancon, so I dont know what the deal was then with terrain. And like I said on FB I fully take the blame for that for not having checked earlier and just assuming I would get the same again (I could get enough terrain from other sources if what CGS supplied wasnt enough).

Anyway, it matters very little to me as the event was great and we had plenty of fun. I apologized to the players at the end of the event and they just seemed happy that it went forward and wasnt cancelled. I wont make the same mistake twice.

Its funny how the only people that seem bothered by all of this are wargamers that are not even remotely part of the Aussie 9th Age scene. Yes I know, youre all angry that 2 and a half years later the project is still alive and kicking and doing quite well, and that GW's evil horde of lawyers havent gone after us and all that... sorry to dissapoint fellas armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

"Having been on both the giving and receiving end of this lore: if a game of warhammer is in some ways like a game of chess, then a successful death spell feels like the equivalent of throwing a brick at the chess board."
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 29 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #11

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

What are you talking about, you guys are my favourite fanfic, just ahead of 50 Shades of Grey slashfic where all the characters are vampires or werewolves.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
Orion_76
post Jan 29 2018, 09:45 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,543

QUOTE(Arch_Magos_Kasen @ Jan 29 2018, 10:44 PM) *

What are you talking about, you guys are my favourite fanfic, just ahead of 50 Shades of Grey slashfic where all the characters are vampires or werewolves.

Your mum's a werewolf...

--------------------
"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

"Having been on both the giving and receiving end of this lore: if a game of warhammer is in some ways like a game of chess, then a successful death spell feels like the equivalent of throwing a brick at the chess board."
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jan 30 2018, 08:16 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 5,981

QUOTE(AdamG @ Jan 29 2018, 12:49 PM) *

Lmao love it

Lmao x2.

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
AdamG
post Jan 30 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,340

QUOTE(Orion_76 @ Jan 29 2018, 10:29 PM) *

2 years ago you supplied us with some terrain for the 9th Age event (nowhere near 20 tables worth, thats for sure... and if you brought that much we certainly didnt use it). I also took some terrain up from Hampton... then we eneded up having enough terrain for a 60 player event (we were about 30). CGS supplied us with the bulk of it all, a lot more than we expected; at least 2 thirds of the terrain was theirs, probably more. Might wanna get your facts straight mate.

I was counting on the same amount of terrain this year. I was away from the country for over a year and missed last cancon, so I dont know what the deal was then with terrain. And like I said on FB I fully take the blame for that for not having checked earlier and just assuming I would get the same again (I could get enough terrain from other sources if what CGS supplied wasnt enough).

Anyway, it matters very little to me as the event was great and we had plenty of fun. I apologized to the players at the end of the event and they just seemed happy that it went forward and wasnt cancelled. I wont make the same mistake twice.

Its funny how the only people that seem bothered by all of this are wargamers that are not even remotely part of the Aussie 9th Age scene. Yes I know, youre all angry that 2 and a half years later the project is still alive and kicking and doing quite well, and that GW's evil horde of lawyers havent gone after us and all that... sorry to dissapoint fellas armata_PDT_34.gif

Well written with out even any swearing or Ott comments gj Ivan agree 100% canít work out why at all people who have zero interest in 9th even bother reading the forums let alone commenting , is it just to be negative and to try to make people feel bad or? I donít get it ??
Thanks to anyone and everyone who gives up there own time to run events and make it happen for others itís much appreciated .
I remember one year when the Canberra boys ran it similar thing happened could not get enough terrain so had to use some printed out terrain and they also copped a lot of #### for it as well when they were just trying there best to make it happen for everyone even the podcasts jumped on and payed it out good to see the negative people never change maybe itís good some of these people left the game cause everyone I talked to who was playing the game myself included did not mind and appreciated the effort just to get it run.

Not to mention that functionally it was much easier to play with flat terrain no models falling out of movement trays , no having to mark where the unit is cause it canít stand up on the terrain , no terrain being moved all over the place so we had no idea where it was supposed to go, biggest difference imo was the tables did not look good when you first went to play but was forgotten instantly when talking to opponent and playing a super fun game which Iíve only recently come back to and Iím glad I did itís pretty much 8th with lots more balance and Iím looking forward to playing more .

Thanks for running it guys sorry your are getting so much hate .
Love
Gooley

--------------------
Achievements:

WHFB Ranked 1 baby !! 21/2/2014

Warhammer masters 2011

Warhammer masters 2013

ETC 2015 Australian team player : 10th! Top 10 baby
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 30 2018, 09:23 AM
Post #15

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

canít work out why at all people who have zero interest in 9th even bother reading the forums let alone commenting , is it just to be negative and to try to make people feel bad or? I donít get it ??

I mean, mostly for Jimbo. He's always good for a laugh.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Jan 30 2018, 09:52 AM
Post #16

Combat Simian

Member No.: 12,758

The actual ruleset/system being played isn't relevant at all. The reasoning as to why 2d terrain and unpainted boards occurred is.

Why is that important?

Simple because its viewed as a mistake a failure something which due to its size and visibility any potential Tournameant Organizer or Event Organizer can learn from.

What actually matters IMHO is here you have the person ultimately responsible for organizing the event come forward and give their account as to why the decision to run it in this manner occurred and now again any potential Tournameant Organizer or Event Organizer can look at it and go.

If this occurred to me to my event would I take the same action or would I find a different way?

As a TO/EO I under stand why it occurred I might have tried for a different outcome but the event went ahead and is done and dusted now. Besides this isn't even the worse I've heard out of an event being held at Cancon this year there were other events beset with much worse outcomes then some slander about terrain.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Jan 30 2018, 09:53 AM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
slayerofmen
post Jan 30 2018, 01:59 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,468

As one of the TOs that got slandered for having to use some flat terrain all I can say to people who do complain, is step up and provide some terrain to make the tables look better or ###### off

--------------------
rojo:

I always thought the Corpse Carts were part of the Von Carsteins commitment to the Imperial Tidy Towns initiative and Keep Sylvannia Beautiful programs. A sort of anti-littering crew for body parts...
+Quote Post
6d6
post Jan 31 2018, 12:19 AM
Post #18

Boat Person

If I lived in Canberra i would have gladly provided all the terrian i have. The hobby is important to me. The whole deal. Painting, the stategy, the terrain.Thats why the 2d terrain #### me. It was a knee jerk reaction. I still think flat terrain on a bare board is a ######ing travesty but it's better than nothing at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hmjesus
post Jan 31 2018, 06:27 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,419

Had a couple of the lads from Miniature Scenery (I think) swing by and have a bit of a rant about our terrain. I explained the situation to them and they also agreed that it's better to have something than to have just cancelled.

There might be a couple companies like this that we can lean on next year and ask about a couple sponsored tables.

--------------------
WFB: Bretonnians, Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs
WMH: Protectorate of Menoth
T9A: Ogre Khans, Kingdoms of Equitaine, Infernal Dwarfs, Clown Dynasties

Creepiest Army: Undying Clown Dynasties - Cancon2018

Check out my battle reports at Gallantry & Gluttony

Druid 2.0: DND5e Druid Wildshape support app.
+Quote Post
Dark Assassin
post Jan 31 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,398

QUOTE(6d6 @ Jan 31 2018, 01:19 AM) *

If I lived in Canberra i would have gladly provided all the terrian i have. The hobby is important to me. The whole deal. Painting, the stategy, the terrain.Thats why the 2d terrain #### me. It was a knee jerk reaction. I still think flat terrain on a bare board is a ######ing travesty but it's better than nothing at all.

Sounds like you have 12 months to organise a trip to Canberra to bring your terrain to ensure it doesn't happen again mate since you have taken such an offense and don't want to be seen as just another keyboard warrior. I travel a lot for events, run events, and do what I can for the scene where possible.I have never seen you around or seen you make any contribution to the scene aside from be negative on here. I think it's Time for you to step up or shut up.

Jack. armata_PDT_01.gif

--------------------

2016-2018 Australian ETC Orcs and Goblins
2017 New Zealand invitationals winner
2018 New Zealand invitationals winner
2019 New Zealand ETC Ogre Khans
2020 New Zealand ETC Captain

2019 Ninth Age stats:

Orcs and Goblins: 6 wins, 1 loss, 0 draws
CantCon 2019 - 5 wins, 0 losses, 0 draws 3rd/23

Ogre Khans: 18 wins, 9 losses, 1 draw
War at Wyong VII - 2 wins, 0 losses, 1 draw 2nd/18
Vic GT 2019 - 1 win, 4 losses, 0 draws 20th/24
War at Wyong VIII, 2 wins, 1 loss, 0 draws 4th/16
BIV 2019 (Teams) 4 wins, 1 loss, 0 draws 1st/6
War at Wyong X, 2 wins, 1 loss, 0 draws 2nd/24

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2019 - 12:46 PM