Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What was played at MOAB 2015, What systems were popular
MarkC
post Oct 6 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 1,849

The official MOAB site seems to only tell us that MOAB 2015 is over, and it doesn't list what games were played. From the Facebook site it appears that the following events were planned:

Battletech
Blood Bowl
Bolt Action
Chain of Command
DBA
FoG 15mm
FoG 25mm
FoG:R
Flames of War .................................... 28 players registered
Impetus
Infinity
Kings of War
Lord of the Rings
Sword and Spear
War Machine/Hordes
Warhammer Fantasy 8th Ed
Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Warhammer 40K ....................................13 players attended
X-Wing

It looks like no Saga or Malifaux.

Last year the most popular systems were Flames of War (31 players), WFB (17 players), 40K (), War Machine (15 players) and Bolt Action (18 players).

So what were the numbers like this year? What are the most popular historical rule sets? Did the players vote with their feet for Kings of War vs WFB 8th vs Age of Sigmar, and what were the resulting numbers?

Regards

Mark C

--------------------
Currently working on:
(ADLG) 15mm Carthaginians

Would play if I had time:
(FoW) Australian Rifle Company (EW/MW): 1500 pts / 200+ pts
(FoW) Deutsches Africa Korps (EW/MW): 1500 pts / 200+ pts
(FoW) Canadian Rifle Company (LW): 1750 pts
(Saga) Vikings

Packed away:
(WFB) 2600+ pts Dwarfs
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Oct 6 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 7,286

Due to a number of late dropouts, 40k only had 13 which was a bit sad.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
Noxus
post Oct 6 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,617

Lotr/hobbit had 10 players

I think xwing had 8 from the look of it, i only noticed 4 tables

This post has been edited by Noxus: Oct 6 2015, 09:35 PM

--------------------
<('.'<)When u pull the pin mr grenade is not our friend (>'.')>
Member of Team Pirate Gosford.
+Quote Post
fued
post Oct 6 2015, 09:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,343

infinity was 11 im pretty sure
+Quote Post
ColonelKoIron
post Oct 7 2015, 07:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 952

I don't have the exact numbers but in broad approximation they were:

Battletech - 5-6 players
Blood Bowl - 11 players
Bolt Action - 28 players
Chain of Command - 6 players
DBA - 8-10 players
FoG 15mm - FoG 15mm was rolled into the FoG 25mm instead
FoG 25mm - 8 players
FoG:R - 5-6 players
Flames of War - 28 players
Infinity - 11 players
Kings of War - cancelled
Lord of the Rings - 10 players
Sword and Spear - 15 players
War Machine/Hordes - 14 players
Warhammer Fantasy 8th Ed - cancelled
Warhammer: Age of Sigmar - cancelled
Warhammer 40K - 13 players attended
X-Wing - 15 players (This was spread over the singles and doubles days)

So what were the numbers like this year? What are the most popular historical rule sets? Did the players vote with their feet for Kings of War vs WFB 8th vs Age of Sigmar, and what were the resulting numbers?

Bolt Action and Flames of War were the most popular historical rulesets with a big jump in Bolt Action this year.

Sword and Spear came out of nowhere and was very successful.

X-Wing also had a jump over the numbers from last year. Its getting more traction as an event.

Sadly, it seems no-one really knows what they want to do with the fantasy games. Despite a lot of chatter we didn't have much pickup for any of them. It was very difficult to find a TO to run the events so one of the MOAB Team volunteered.
I think that it will take until next year to sort out what people want to play. At the moment, there is a lot of split between Age of Sigmar, Warhammer 8th, Warhammer 9th (the custom version) and Kings of War. Its all been very recent so people need some adjustment to what they want.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles to frown...but only 4 to slap the person that annoyed you.

Aren't you worried you're evolving a race of sociopaths who care more about rapid transportation than human lives?
We prefer the term "Engineers"
+Quote Post
allthecoolnameswheretaken
post Oct 8 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,879

Yeah another massive money spinner for southern battle gamers, a couple of hundred people paying $40 to $50 each to enter and a winning place is a voucher to a shop so far away you'll never spend it and doesn't even cover the cost of entry. The prize pool is supplied by the sponsor's which shows there support for the hobby and the gamers come from all over for great cost to money and time. I can see why clubs are dying when this is the way that they treat the gamers that are supporting them.
+Quote Post
ColonelKoIron
post Oct 9 2015, 09:38 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(allthecoolnameswheretaken @ Oct 9 2015, 12:13 AM) *

Yeah another massive money spinner for southern battle gamers, a couple of hundred people paying $40 to $50 each to enter and a winning place is a voucher to a shop so far away you'll never spend it and doesn't even cover the cost of entry. The prize pool is supplied by the sponsor's which shows there support for the hobby and the gamers come from all over for great cost to money and time. I can see why clubs are dying when this is the way that they treat the gamers that are supporting them.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the convention. If you have some specific suggestions for how things can be improved we would be happy to take your feedback. You can PM me and I will take in the feedback to the organising team.

The vouchers that are provided are generally for retailers that are at MOAB itself so you can put in the vouchers there. Others will do mail order using the vouchers.

We do our very best to support the gaming community by putting on MOAB. We want everyone to have a great time at the event because we are dedicated to gaming.

--------------------

Aren't you worried you're evolving a race of sociopaths who care more about rapid transportation than human lives?
+Quote Post
Good ol Shakey
post Oct 9 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #8

shakeshakeshakeyshake

Member No.: 4,979

QUOTE(allthecoolnameswheretaken @ Oct 9 2015, 12:13 AM) *

Considering many of the events had low numbers, maybe instead of tearing it down offer ways to improve? I admit, as a 40k player I was quite shocked by how small the prizes were, but the number of players showed that. I am curious as to how big the prizes were for other events, because low numbers could explain it all.
+Quote Post
A Couple of Ones
post Oct 9 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,153

Ancients continues to show fragmentation and was split 4 ways:

* DBA
* FoG 15mm/FoG 25mm
* Impetus
* Sword and Spear

But is still doing OK really with around 38-40 people.
Not sure how this is reflected in figure sales.

--------------------
Playing:
(FoW) Africa Korps Panzer Kompanie (MW): 3600+ pts
(FoW) 8th Army British Armour (MW): 3200+ pts
(FoW) German Panzer Kompanie (LW): 3000+ pts
(Sword & Spear) Arabs, Byzantines, Ottoman Turks, Medieval Hungarians, Samurai, Later Crusader
+Quote Post
ColonelKoIron
post Oct 9 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Good ol Shakey @ Oct 9 2015, 02:55 PM) *

Considering many of the events had low numbers, maybe instead of tearing it down offer ways to improve? I admit, as a 40k player I was quite shocked by how small the prizes were, but the number of players showed that. I am curious as to how big the prizes were for other events, because low numbers could explain it all.

I don't have the numbers for prize packs for each event but in the past it has always been related to the numbers at the event. It's one reason we try to get early registration, to predict what is needed.

Honestly, we are always looking for feedback. It's a community event and we always take people's feedback on board.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scipio Australianis
post Oct 9 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,815

Just wanted to say I played Sword and Spear at MOAB. First time playing in a comp since about 1990, when I played Warhammer at the very first MOAB.

I thought the comp and the broader convention was very well organised and run. I can't comment about prizes - I was way outside contention! But I don't play games to win prizes. I play them because I enjoy them. And I enjoyed myself very much at MOAB.

My thanks go to the organising team.
+Quote Post
post Oct 11 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #12

I didn't win anything either but I did see the prize pools and was bitterly disappointed by them. From what I saw first place was the only one that got back there entry fee in gift vouchers supplied from the sponsor, there was no prize supplied from the entry fees. There where approximately 200 people paying $40-$50 each, take into account the canteen and the bring buy and sell and there would have to been a turnover of $10,000 for the weekend and if none of this went to prize pool than that a lot of profit for the club. Now I do believe that the club deserves some of that profit as they do put on a good tournament but there also needs to be something worth playing for otherwise I might as well take my $50 dollars into my local gaming club/shop play some not so competitive games and buy my own prize and save myself the petrol and the 45 minute diver each way per day. MOAB is now one of the few remaining major tournaments and the numbers seem to either have stagnated or dropped over previous years and this is one of the reasons that I hear why people don't think it is worth coming back.
+Quote Post
Munster
post Oct 11 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 120

You might want to look at what it costs to run a tournament before you comment. Venues, with insurance, power, tables, chairs etc do not come cheap
+Quote Post
rat of vengence
post Oct 11 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 362

QUOTE(allthecoolnameswheretaken @ Oct 11 2015, 04:28 PM) *

rant

X-Wing had 8 players on Saturday, and there was about $100 of prizes. Sunday there were 16 players, and I think the prizes were similar. Not too shabby.

Perhaps there was an issue for a particular system, but you would be best off not creating an account for the sole purpose of making a blanket statement whinge... at least not unless you know how much the rent and public liability cost...

RoV

--------------------
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Twin-linked gives you the ability to miss twice with a single shot weapon.

My Orcstralian Army blog, at the best O&G site; http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_War...showtopic=23521

My children, also known as Destroyers of Hobby
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Oct 11 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,286

You might also think about the fact that you actually live pretty close to the venue and the weekend hardly cost you a thing, compared to those of us who drove 4hrs +, had to book 3 nights accomodation, pay for food, drinks and petrol.

Frankly, I couldn't give a stuff how big the prize pool is. I'm into this hobby for love of the game, the cameraderie, etc.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
post Oct 12 2015, 01:22 AM
Post #16

Those that want to argue the point that there was enough prize pool and that they don't play for it can continue to say so and that is there option but it does not cost a lot of money to run a tournament within a community hall that the club would be using regularly and I know this for a fact and I have also seen the turnover that a tournament like this can achieve and how much a club can make by not putting back into the tournament through prize pools, and I do believe this is the case. When you hear people say regularly that they should have just taken there entry fee to there local then that tell me there is a problem, but the rest of you are surely right as shown by the steady decrease in tournament numbers. As for opening an account to whinge as someone put it well I've never had one because until recently I didn't concern myself with what others had to say on these type of sites and was told that there was a lot of whinging but what I see is people saying what they think is a problem and others arguing that they don't know what they are talking about meanwhile the building is falling down around them.
+Quote Post
ColonelKoIron
post Oct 12 2015, 07:30 AM
Post #17

From what I understand your complaint is about the amount of prizes that are provided for the MOAB tournaments and you would like to see this increased. I have already taken this feedback and provided to the rest of the MOAB Organisers and we will take it on board for next year.

Maybe you could PM me about your ideas for the size of prize pools?

I'm not sure if I read it right, but some of your complaint seems to be that the Southern Battlegamers makes too much money from the MOAB convention. I can assure you we don't make a lot of money from the event.

Everything we make at MOAB goes back into games, terrain, tabletops, new tables, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rat of vengence
post Oct 12 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 362

QUOTE(allthecoolnameswheretaken @ Oct 12 2015, 02:22 AM) *

...was told that there was a lot of whinging...

And you thought you would contribute? If that wasn't your intention, why post here? Did it occur to you to directly contact the club itself?

Look mate, I have no problem with new members, and asking such questions, but I do think directly contacting the club and asking them directly would have been much more productive.

RoV

--------------------
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Twin-linked gives you the ability to miss twice with a single shot weapon.

My Orcstralian Army blog, at the best O&G site; http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_War...showtopic=23521

My children, also known as Destroyers of Hobby
+Quote Post
post Oct 12 2015, 03:11 PM
Post #19

So what your saying ́s if you have a valid complaint that the rest of the community might agree with keep it to yourself because this site is only there so that people like yourself can blow smoke up other people's butts, where it is considered a whinge if you have an option that doesn't agree with people like yourself.
+Quote Post
Burger
post Oct 12 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #20

バーガー男
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 15,947

QUOTE(allthecoolnameswheretaken @ Oct 12 2015, 04:11 PM) *

So what your saying ́s if you have a valid complaint that the rest of the community might agree with keep it to yourself because this site is only there so that people like yourself can blow smoke up other people's butts, where it is considered a whinge if you have an option that doesn't agree with people like yourself.

I see only one person having a whinge here....

--------------------
It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

Sutherland Shire Gamers
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2019 - 08:01 AM