2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Slayers random miniature adventures, Crazy ideas that need fulfilling
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Aug 11 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,969

So for awhile I've wanted to make nice elaborate terrain and the likes as I'm sure most of us do at some point, and finally got up and started my madness because hey dreams armata_PDT_14.gif So let me show you the madness within tongue.gif

So I started doing some AoS terrain for a friend not much he wanted two main things a Realmgate and a tower to play missions in. So these are what I came up with.

The Realmgate.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

And the Tower.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Oct 6 2018, 03:16 PM

--------------------
You can also follow my work on facebook or Instagram at: Full Scaled Conflict.

My miniature adventures:
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...=186083&hl=
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Aug 11 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #2

I also decided that I wanted to make some gaming tables for myself and got hold of all the necessary components over the course of 2 or so years and finally got stuck into it in the last month.

Enough MDF to make up 4 tables all cut into 2x2 foot squares.
IPB Image

And boxes of GW terrain.
IPB Image
IPB Image

The first table is the Trench wall of Martyrs set up, it was all measured and marked out before the mdf was routed out so that it could all sit in the board rather then on top.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Once the boards were routed out all the parts were glued in then gaps filled with wood putty. The first layer of texture was a mix of wood putty and fine/course sands and applied with a large paint brush, when the putty began to cure I stippled the top with the same brush to emulate uneven surface divots then once fully cured I washed the top with watered down pva then lightly sprinkled the sand mix over the top to deepen the texture and hide all the brush strokes.
IPB Image
IPB Image

I decided that a road should bisect the board to help with the visual feel and it not just be trenches and sand.
I used the same wood putty sand mix but made the first layer slightly wetter with more sand for heavy coverage and made sure that all brush strokes followed the same path. The next layer I went thicker with the putty and lighter with the sand and followed the direction of the first layer, this layer helped to create divots and pot hole in the surface of the road as the putty dried quickly and lifted easily from the first layer when more pressure was applied helping to give it a heavily neglected and worn appearance. This will become clearer once it has been painted.
IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Oct 6 2018, 02:51 PM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Aug 11 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,113

Awesome stuff!

Love the realm gate and tower, did you make those yourself?

The picture of all the terrain boxes, was a little bit exciting. Perhaps you should add a 'NSFW' tag ;p

This post has been edited by Emperor Fooble: Aug 11 2016, 06:59 PM

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
+Quote Post
fmi1979
post Aug 11 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,712

Great work!! I'd be interested to find out how you painted the stone, it looks very realistic

--------------------
Thought for the day

Tread lightly and carry a nuclear weapon

Finished projects
World War 1 Early War Germans
US Marines vs Taliban
Falkland War Royal Marines vs Argentina
War of the Roses Yorkist army
British Napoleonics

Work Bench
Warhammer Fantasy 4th ed Empire
Warhammer Fantasy 3rd ed Dwarf

On the Backburner
Rogue Trader Ultramarines
Imperial Fists
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Aug 11 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Emperor Fooble @ Aug 11 2016, 06:58 PM) *

Awesome stuff!

Love the realm gate and tower, did you make those yourself?

The picture of all the terrain boxes, was a little bit exciting. Perhaps you should add a 'NSFW' tag ;p

HAHAH All that plasticrack is a little exciting tongue.gif The Gate and Tower are made from the Hirst Arts molds while the rocks around the tower are Woodland Scenics rock molds. I tweaked the tower a little by giving it more windows and a door on the second level I should mention the tower splits into three sections for storage. I then made a template and cut out balsa wood to fit inside and for the parapet. If your interested I have wip photos of both tower and gate I can throw up smile.gif

QUOTE(fmi1979 @ Aug 11 2016, 08:15 PM) *

Great work!! I'd be interested to find out how you painted the stone, it looks very realistic

I will admit I cheated some here armata_PDT_04.gif the tower was cast from wood putty so it was a dark sandy brown, I did end up doing a pre-shade of mud brown then a thin coat of sand yellow then mixed some white in and highlighted the odd brick here and there then washed the entire tower in army painters dark shade.
If I was going to replicate the putty colour id probably use Tamiya dark yellow with a touch of earth brown.

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Aug 11 2016, 08:42 PM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
6d6
post Aug 12 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #6

Boat Person

Member No.: 9,393

That tower looks perfect for Mordheim games. What bits and pieces would I need to replicate it?

The 40k game board is inspiring.

--------------------
6th ed Warhammer Fantasy rules rule!
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Aug 13 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(6d6 @ Aug 12 2016, 09:57 PM) *

That tower looks perfect for Mordheim games. What bits and pieces would I need to replicate it?

The 40k game board is inspiring.

It's from Hirst Arts molding castles range: http://www.hirstarts.com/6round/6round.html
The windows and door are from the same mold but the wooden floors and parapet are balsa.
Cheers smile.gif I hope it will look just as great painted as it does in the raw atm armata_PDT_14.gif

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Aug 13 2016, 11:19 AM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Nov 23 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #8

So I've been derailed from the majority of ongoing projects such as the tench table and my 30k Blood Angels something I'm sure we all experience from time to time tongue.gif The Table has had more work done to it, the craters have been sculpted on and a ton of gap filling and texture build up has happened but I had to pack it away while family where around visiting so not much else has happened yet but soon hopefully. But I decided to start a SoH army in the meantime with a few goodies and some must haves smile.gif I'm hoping to get these done quickly enough to get back to the table before too long.

To begin with Maloghurst the twisted, he unlocks Veterans and Reavers as troops and he's a Legion standard bearer so much awesome for is point cost.
IPB Image
IPB Image

The FW event miniature seemed the closes to the artwork I'd seen of Mal and given his broken body the pose works very well for a model planted on the spot a bulwark so to speak of, at the front the Eye of Horus watching his sons advance under withering covering fire, retreat is not a option.

I have more to do on him lots of SoH icons to add sculpting/filling gaps, I am in two minds about giving him a cloak. I've seen pics of him wearing a loin cloth made of a flensed Astartes so not sure where to go here, cloak or loin cloth?

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Oct 6 2018, 02:53 PM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Feb 14 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #9

Back into the hobby after a short hiatus, still assembling the mass that is the Sons of Horus. I'll pretty much assemble the lot before moving onto sculpting then finally painting before the end of this month, I hope tongue.gif

Work started again with a Leviathan Dreadnought followed by a Contemptor, I magnetised the arms and weapons on both dreads and even hinged the leviathans claw power unit so the whole thing could be swapped with another option. I also felt that detail was lacking on the flamer fuel canister on the Contemptors power fist so I added a fuel line and connector ports.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I have also started on the infantry for the Sons and got 10 Justaerin Terminators done again magnetising the heavy weapon options. I also started on the troops and decided that they need to have their equipment on for wysiwyg and just they look cooler actually having ammo pouches, grenades and combat blades showing. I did shorten the combat blade as I felt it was too long on the model and shouldn't be as big as a sword.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Oct 6 2018, 02:58 PM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post May 3 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #10

And I'm back tongue.gif and with a big update/data dump 6 weeks of assembly and sculpting to be precise O_O
So work on Maloghurst has slowed as I want to do a tournament that doesn't allow special characters or primarchs, so all the plebs have been getting some love.

So with the Marines and their equipment I decided that the pistol holsters needed leg straps so I sculpted 20 straps huh.gif so a new thing to try and I don't think they turned out to badly.

IPB Image
IPB Image

I also decided that the arms on the Reavers and MkIV Assault Marines were lacking real movement so I gaped the shoulders and sculpted some flex joints. I only took photos of the Reavers but you'll see the AMs once their finished smile.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

And not content with all the sculpting/filling I did something with the Leviathan Dread.
IPB Image
IPB Image

And I realised I done goofed with that knee Grimoire as it should have a top piece but I was rushing and it's already on the painting desk so will come back and fix the details I missed. Sloppy I know but these things happen when you rush sleep.gif

And now all the painting, well what I've started, about 30% done atm.
I did cheat some due the amount of work and used a can of black primer on it all, well 2 cans but anyway.
Also ignore some of the infantry shot as there was another project I primed at the same time so it does make it appear larger then it is. Total tally of infantry is 20 Marines, 10 Assault marines, 10 Reavers and 10 Justaerin.
Vehicles to be done are Spartan, Glaive, Contemptor, Leviathan, Sicaran battle tank, Vindicator demolisher, Vindicator Destructor, 2 Predators ( Mars ), 2 Rhinos ( Deimos ) 2 Dreadclaws, Dready Pod, and a Xiphon. So a far bit to do blink.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image

Once the primer had dried I pre-shaded everything with Tamiya neutral grey then mixed up a sea green out of 70% Kabalite green and 30% Incubi green, this was the closes colour combo that I had on hand to match a old pot of GW Scaly green. I then highlighted the center of the panels with strait Kabalite green.
The result is a deep sea green that I believe will pop nicely with the weathering I have planned.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

So much green!
IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Oct 6 2018, 03:04 PM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post May 3 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #11

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Amazing work, lovely conversions!

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
flying poo
post May 4 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,316

Those drop pods are awesome, some really flawless converting.
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post May 10 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Arch_Magos_Kasen @ May 3 2017, 06:54 PM) *

Amazing work, lovely conversions!

Cheers mate biggrin.gif

QUOTE(flying poo @ May 4 2017, 02:30 PM) *

Those drop pods are awesome, some really flawless converting.

They are pretty cool, and not that hard to assemble thankfully.

Update biggrin.gif only a small one. So I've established that I like heavily worn tanks, you know WWI gone through hell and then got bogged in a mud pit blink.gif I feel this style should be dubbed the Keef Richards, worn, beaten but still functional some how. I'm looking at you XIVth legion players laugh.gif

So as it stands all the tanks/fliers/pods are at this stage and will get further weathering with pigments and oils as soon as the weather itself gets better here armata_PDT_05.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

A nice short post cool.gif rolleyes.gif Will try and break the net with the next one biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Oct 6 2018, 03:05 PM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Lextheimpaler
post May 10 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Coolbreeze

Member No.: 7,863

Killing it Dan, lovely work.

--------------------
"SIR I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL"

"NO SIR I DO NOT BITE MY THUMB AT YOU, THOUGH I DO BITE MY THUMB SIR"

"Conan What is best in life??" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women"

" IM FIZZZZIIIIINNNN BRUTHA"

QUOTE(J.D.Entropy @ Aug 9 2012, 09:13 PM)

If they ask, you must be prepared to answer the riddle of steel, laugh at their 4 winds and show them what is best in life.

Related question: where can I buy stygian black lotus?

QUOTE(TheOriginalHavoc @ Oct 26 2012, 11:41 AM)

Argo Affleck is the GBU43/B to Phantoms BLU-8/B.

Not that I've actually seen it, so he may actually be closer to Sum of all Fears 'Dirty Bomb'
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Oct 6 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #15

So it's been awhile, the whole Photobucket thing was crap and after loosing my photos to them shut down that account. I'm only recently been slowly updating and fixing the blogs. But this does mean new stuff biggrin.gif
So following the trench table this has since been complete but I'll likely add more to it in the future as it's a bit bare for a 40k table but works perfectly in 30k.
So following the table build after all the texturing was dry I went about sculpting the craters I used just woodputty mix with water making sure it was kept firm but moist enough to smooth out with my fingers and sculpting tools. Once dry I used a Dremel rotary tool to carve out and texture the craters.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Oct 6 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #16

Painting was a mixture of Airbrush, spraycan and paintgun. All the buildings were primed with german grey spray paint they then were preshaded with neutral bluegrey I then sponged on dark green grey and dark blue grey in random places then went over it all this a heavily thinned german grey from the airbrush so all the layers would show through.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Oct 6 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #17

All the walkways were preshaded the same as the buildings and airbrushed with hull red and sponged on metallic grey.
IPB Image
IPB Image

The field guns were painted the same as the buildings.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The road was spray painted deep blue grey and dry brushed with neutral grey. I then masked off areas and made road lines and stopping bays with matt white.
IPB Image

the sand was hit with desert yellow from a spray can then dark yellow touched here and there, neutral earth was airbrushed about the place and the craters were painted with it also. Everything was sealed with a gloss varnish and then desert yellow enamel was thinned down into a wash and liberally applied to everything and any excess was wiped away with a rag once it had stated to harden. Any ares that needed more cleaning were done with a cotton tip and enamel thinners before everything was sealed with a matt varnish.

I'm honestly not very happy with the end result of the sand and am planning on coming back to it to try and make it more realistic.

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Oct 6 2018, 05:31 PM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Oct 7 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #18

A commissioned project that has come and gone was a Scion army with plenty of tanks and vehicles with most of the options magnetised for more flexible gaming.
The Baneblade had 4 options made from the kit so it can change from the Baneblade to the Hellhammer then a quick swap of the hulls to the Shadowsword and the Stormsword.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

5 Leman Russ's were in the mix again with all their options magnetised. Three commanders were also magnetised with the hatch pinned so it could be opened or closed, Pask by far I enjoyed with the blank eyes he reminds me of M Bison from street fighter biggrin.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Oct 7 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #19

2 Manticores for some artillery support again magnetised the front hull options and the missiles are also magnetised so they can be removed after use and for storage. The missile platform also is magnetised so it can be folded away or simple removed.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer: Oct 7 2018, 11:24 AM

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post
Pitted Sliced Slayer
post Oct 7 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #20

6 Taurox's were needed for the Scions as transport so all these got the magnet treatment also so they can be swapped between the options.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------

My miniature adventures:
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 10:23 AM