Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> *UPDATED 16/4* My Prussian Themed Imperial Guard (Beginning stages, slow development), Because VOYAGER asked for it (admittedly ages ago at ARC :P)
TsarHagrid
post Mar 24 2010, 01:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 7,958

OK so I have had interested people ask for pics after I tell them about my theme and what I've done so far. I think it was you Voyager, back at ARC said you wanted a peek, so here they are.

Backstory is gigantic (and still all in my head!) so just basically, They are the Pegasian 7th. The Pegasian system is out in the Halo Stars, cut off from the Imperium like a bajillion years ago, contact re-established during Macharian Crusade. Imperium discovered the small interplanetary empire/kingdom spanning 2 or 3 systems. The Pegasians are pretty much a conglomeration of various Prussian themes from Napoleon kinda era through to ww2. They'v all got Bicorn hats and stick grenades/potatomashers I made myself. They're banner crazy and each squad has a banner, they are removable in case of WYSIWYG issues. I make them all myself on paint.

They use Auxillary troops from their colony on a snowy/icy planet inhabited by what are essentially vikings in a nearby system. Penal squads will be vikings, ogryns = berserkers, and anyone with magical ability in the codex will be modelled into some kind of viking shaman! you get the picture

anyways onto the good stuff...did I mention that they all have mutton chops?

Infantry Squad Sergeant (squad leaders and men of rank have their hat rotated forwards)
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Platoon Command Vox - had none of basic troopers but this gives you the general idea
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Mortar Squad
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by TsarHagrid: Apr 16 2010, 02:00 PM

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

QUOTE(neil @ Jan 20 2012, 02:15 PM) *

about 10 feet tall, hands the size of dustbin lids. Plays Tau, drinks Scotch. Yep, that's the guy.

QUOTE(dominus nox @ Jan 17 2012, 11:51 PM) *

I'm reasonably sure Hagrid is the world's only Scotch based life form.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 15)
TsarHagrid
post Mar 24 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #2

Platoon Commander - the officers have big blue coats like French marshals from Napoleonic Era.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Platoon standard - all real banners (not for aesthetics) have an icon on top all others do not
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Here are the Vikings, as they are penals I'm going for 3 diff gear outs (like the penal table) Gunslinger, Psychopath & Knife Fighter
IPB Image

Here is the Penal squad leader - the symbols on the shield is from an alphabet I made up for them
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

about 10 feet tall, hands the size of dustbin lids. Plays Tau, drinks Scotch. Yep, that's the guy.

+Quote Post
GuardsmanLowe
post Mar 25 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,612

Looks good so far

--------------------
GuardsmanLowe 75 - As of last update to the GT list
After games in Melton area - PM me
+Quote Post
PlasmaDavid
post Mar 25 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,443

I like the sideburns and colors, the the hats and eyebrows are quite comical >_>

--------------------
Send in more planes!
The following people are awesome - Rocktagon
+Quote Post
Dr.McNinja
post Mar 29 2010, 01:18 AM
Post #5

Doctorate in Ninjaness

Member No.: 5,229

I couldnt help but notice the pixels in the banners. Your prussians cant afford antialiasing tongue.gif

They look a little odd with their hats and flah armour chests.. The leader figure looks very much in place with the hat but the rest look like some IG attending a fancy hat party. Now THATS a good backstory.

PS. interested in your backstory. Write a short story about them.

PSS. the last barbarian figure from a WFB stowed away on the delorean and pimped his shield with a ninja pistol attachment.

This post has been edited by Dr.McNinja: Mar 29 2010, 01:21 AM

--------------------
▂▅◕‿‿◕▅▂
+Quote Post
TsarHagrid
post Mar 29 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dr.McNinja @ Mar 29 2010, 12:48 AM) *

I couldnt help but notice the pixels in the banners. Your prussians cant afford antialiasing tongue.gif

They look a little odd with their hats and flah armour chests.. The leader figure looks very much in place with the hat but the rest look like some IG attending a fancy hat party. Now THATS a good backstory.

PS. interested in your backstory. Write a short story about them.

PSS. the last barbarian figure from a WFB stowed away on the delorean and pimped his shield with a ninja pistol attachment.

As for the banners, what is 'antialiasing'? what did you mean?

I was a bit weirded out by the hat/flak combo too. ideally I would've used mordians, but I CBF buying and painting metal models if I could avoid it. However I am theming them as Panzergrenadiers, I did say it was a combination of themes from Napoleonic to ww2. I do have a justification fluffwise for all the out-of-character flak. for one thing the macharian crusade was quite a while ago and there'd be plenty of new tech making its way in tongue.gif
and secondly I was going to say in my fluff that when Macharius was forced to halt his crusade even though he really wanted to continue, that he asked the Pegasian King to continue battling through the Halo Stars and pulled a quartermaster order with his awesomeness and had a constant flow of supplies to the Pegasian systems on the edge of macharian-conquered space.

As for a short story I fully intend to write a fluffdex for them, all renamed units and characters, all the backstories etc. it is currently in my brains inbox tongue.gif

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

+Quote Post
EuroChild
post Mar 29 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #7

Endorsed by Tets

Member No.: 7,757

Love your Platoon command, and love your Vikings. I also like the idea how you've represented all three of the "psychopath ruley thingys" on them.

The hats on your basic troops look a little awkard though, like they're barely sitting on the head and all they need to be blown off is an overly hungry ratling running by to get his dinner and creating a slip stream.

And don't trust your brains inbox, it's unpredictable as hell. If you get an idea - write it down straight away so you don't forget.

--------------------
QUOTE(Shotgun @ Mar 24 2011, 12:15 AM) *
Death in general has been the result of more fatalities than any other source since human's recorded history. Even cave painting of earliest man showed death killing our ancestors.
QUOTE(Blackrose @ Apr 13 2011, 06:59 PM) *
I see so itís not about [insert petty issue here] any more itís two boys with hand bags at 20 paces.
+Quote Post
TsarHagrid
post Mar 29 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(EuroChild @ Mar 29 2010, 09:30 AM) *

The hats on your basic troops look a little awkard though, like they're barely sitting on the head and all they need to be blown off is an overly hungry ratling running by to get his dinner and creating a slip stream.

Well granted the hats aren't perfect, but the hats you see are the best I've been able to achieve and I have a lot of fun making them! I'm not very uber with greenstuff, so I came up with an alternative. I have a circular counter which fitted my estimated measurements perfectly! I trace to paper then make a head-size hole in the centre. I balance the circle on the circular bottom of a paintbrush handle with a wee blob of greenstuff in the head-hole. then I fold the sides up and play around with it until it is wider and makes it around a head correctly. admittely some look poorer than others sad.gif but I like where they are going in general!
QUOTE(EuroChild @ Mar 29 2010, 09:30 AM) *

And don't trust your brains inbox, it's unpredictable as hell. If you get an idea - write it down straight away so you don't forget.

Well you're quite right there! luckily I've just finished my literature review assignment and can muck around in the short period before I need to get back in gear. I reckon I can get a good start!

One thing I'm really not impressed with is my ability to paint eyes :'( except for the plat.com. and my WIP Comp.com.

This post has been edited by TsarHagrid: Mar 29 2010, 10:15 AM

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

+Quote Post
EuroChild
post Mar 29 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #9

Endorsed by Tets

Member No.: 7,757

Well if you have fun making them that's what counts ay biggrin.gif. And eventually, the more you do it the better they'll become and you'll find yourself waking up one morning, tangled in your sheets wondering "holy crap where am I" and finding yourself surrounded by tonnes of forage caps that you made whilst dreaming about commanding a platoon of crazy prussians.

And your eyes are probably better than what I can do. I've only ever managed to paint one set of eyes right and that was ten years ago on my first Blood Angels commander. Those eyes made him look more Khornate than anything. Again, the more you do it the better you'll become.
My major problem is that I've always had the shakes, it's a genetic thing that'll never change. So if you don't have that problem then you should be able to improve over time.

Anyways, your marauders have given me an idea for a chaos lost and the damned army. Never realised how good they'd look in a 40k context.

--------------------
QUOTE(Shotgun @ Mar 24 2011, 12:15 AM) *
Death in general has been the result of more fatalities than any other source since human's recorded history. Even cave painting of earliest man showed death killing our ancestors.
QUOTE(Blackrose @ Apr 13 2011, 06:59 PM) *
I see so itís not about [insert petty issue here] any more itís two boys with hand bags at 20 paces.
+Quote Post
TsarHagrid
post Mar 29 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #10

Well tah muchly!
As I've found, they fit rather well sizewise with the buff Catachan arms.

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

+Quote Post
voyager
post Mar 30 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #11

Floreat Gerboa

Member No.: 562

I vaguely remember this - but then again, I can't remember what I did last week.

One thing I love about playing miniature games is the incredible diversity of the forces people come up with and the ways they choose to execute the work. I, sir, take my (napoleonic) hat off to you for that effort.

Oh, and antialiasing means smoothing out jagged edges. The diamond on your banners shows the "jaggies".

--------------------
Airbrushing 101 - A Complete Tutorial - everything you wanted to know but were afraid to search for
Assortment of Lunacy - general hobby log
7th Armoured Division, 23rd Company - Imperial Guard Armoured Battlegroup
Cadian v Catachan Diorama - Paintball 40K style
+Quote Post
TsarHagrid
post Mar 30 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #12

ah I see. Thankfully, they don't look quite that profoundly jagged at a distance, it was just the close up that showed it. I'd see if I could smooth it a little if I hadn't already done 4 or 5 squads - cbf changing that many tongue.gif

And keep watching this space guys I've just about finished my colonel. I converted a Death Korps HQ for it!

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

+Quote Post
TsarHagrid
post Apr 16 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #13

OK guys as promised, My Colonel has been finished! I've finally gotten my hands on a camera too, since that time though I've been able to convert a Master of Ordnance (or as they will be known in my army: Artillery Liason) So you're in for a treat, these are in my opnion two of my best works, though the lighting could be slightly better. Those of you in the SEBF club will get to see them on Sunday!

Ok, the Colonel. His name is still in the works, but I was thinking 'Krueger'. Anyway, I was quite pleased with him, except for the way that the wash went which makes it look like he is crying mud out of an eye. I sawed the head off of the Death Korps Colonel and added a head and hat!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The Artiller Liason (MoO) is a real favourite of mine. All artillery models are going to use Death Korps legs and have this model of hat (the Napoleonic upended bucket look tongue.gif) and will follow this paint scheme. As this bloke will represent an Artillery officer I felt it neccessary to have him with medals tongue.gif so I used arms and a torso from the Command sprue. The hat I made by chopping an officers cap down to the brim gluing a conveniently shaped bit of FW resin sprue for the body of the hat, the decorations are the end of a grenade and string from a teabag!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Do please comment folks!
PS not far off another update, just bought some Mordians I'll convert into Fusiliers (Stormtroopers) and Cavalry heads! in the mail as we speak apparently

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

+Quote Post
Bane
post Apr 16 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 116

looks like a good enemy for these guys if I ever get them done

Redcoats!!

IPB Image

I would suggest you check out the range of plastic mini's made by the perry twins, they usta work for GW and produce some good stuff, stuff that is nearly compatible with GW stuff. Oh and the boxes come with lots of head varients.

--------------------
want daemons
+Quote Post
Kargan DaemonClaw
post Apr 17 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 415

One technique for the eyes would be to paint the eyes earlier in the process. Paint the face base coat and apply the shade, then paint the eyes using bleached bone for the pupil and then repaint the edges of the eyes with the flesh base coat.

It's easier to paint around the edges of the eyes than it is to paint between two lids.

This might go some way to avoid the the Buzz Lightyear thousand yard stare you have on some models.

Good idea to use a historical period as the basis for your army. Do you just have infantry, cavalry and artillery or will you break theme somewhat and introduce armoured vehicles as well?
+Quote Post
TsarHagrid
post Apr 17 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Bane @ Apr 16 2010, 06:03 PM) *

looks like a good enemy for these guys if I ever get them done
Redcoats!!

IPB Image
I would suggest you check out the range of plastic mini's made by the perry twins, they usta work for GW and produce some good stuff, stuff that is nearly compatible with GW stuff. Oh and the boxes come with lots of head varients.

VERY NICE stuff there mate, I may check that out too.
QUOTE(Kargan DaemonClaw @ Apr 17 2010, 11:56 AM) *

It's easier to paint around the edges of the eyes than it is to paint between two lids.

Interesting point there!
QUOTE(Kargan DaemonClaw @ Apr 17 2010, 11:56 AM) *

Good idea to use a historical period as the basis for your army. Do you just have infantry, cavalry and artillery or will you break theme somewhat and introduce armoured vehicles as well?

No, I'm not going that strict with the squad choices. I do use infantry and I am accruing bits for cavalry (am VERY excited for that!). I have horses, round bases, Death Korps cuirass torsoes, hats are on the way via some mordians on order, now I just need legs and arms and lances.
Artillery may show up at one point or another. I may venture into the FW artillery placements, but for sure the Basilisk/Medusa/Griffon/Collossuss choices are featuring, and will have artillery crew (similar to the Master of Ordnance shown above). I have a Medusa on the shelf waiting to be constructed.

So yeah vehicles will be included, in fact the greater theme I'm going for here is a combo between World War I/II Panzergrenadiers and Napoleonic Prussians. I don't feel like I'm breaking the rules of my theme (mostly because the theme is mine to do with what I will tongue.gif) In fact my fluff will make provision for all the out-of-place looking technology featuring in regiments from a system only rediscovered during the Macharian Cruade whose technology was only slightly lagging (which given the stagnant nature of imperial technology isn't a serious setback in the grand scheme of things!). ATM, the idea is, the imperium rocks up and finds these guys with early imperial space-colonial tech, any advancements from that point went into zeppelin/airship/dirigible tech...yes guys I am going to have Zeppelin Valykries if I ever decide to field aircraft!

This post has been edited by TsarHagrid: Apr 17 2010, 12:48 PM

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 05:29 AM