User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dru
post Aug 20 2017, 08:43 AM
Post #82

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 31

Thanks for running a great event Matt. Cheers to all who made it and for the games.
+Quote Post
Tirrith
post Aug 20 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #83

Smashed!

Member No.: 77

Was a fun event, thanks to Matt snd all my opponents. I have been away for a while, was great to return, such a good game!

--------------------
"It's literally impossible to lose a game of Theory Machine with eKruger"

Chickenslayer
+Quote Post
mattc
post Aug 20 2017, 11:19 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 15,630

QUOTE(Tirrith @ Aug 20 2017, 09:36 AM) *

Was a fun event, thanks to Matt snd all my opponents. I have been away for a while, was great to return, such a good game!

Thanks Jeff and Dru was great to have you. Straight back to the podium Jeff... are you sure you ever left? Haha
+Quote Post
marius
post Aug 21 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 169

results and write up?
+Quote Post
mattc
post Aug 21 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #86

QUOTE(marius @ Aug 21 2017, 10:48 AM) *

results and write up?

Hey mate results are here https://tabletop.to/the-valley-of-kings-31

I'll try and get to a write up later
+Quote Post
marius
post Aug 21 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 169

cheers
+Quote Post
mattc
post Aug 26 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #88

Here's my short write up of my games on the day.

For all the lists (almost) and the games you can go here

We had a great day of 24, only 1 drop out on the morning which then we kindly had 2 bye busters put up their hands from the local scene who tag teamed to play the games in the AM and PM.

My list was:

Rocks, Brocks and Glocks
2 Hordes Earth Elementals
1 Greater Earth Elemental
Stone Priest with BC and Banner of the Griffin

Regiment Brocks with Elite
regiment Brocks with Pathfinder
2 troops Brocks
Beserker Brock Lord with Sparkstone
Berserker Brock Lord

3 Organ guns

Game Pillage:
Grudge vs Pawel the Great (Elves)

Pawel will do a good write up on this I am sure. As you will see on his images I left my organ guns a bit unprotected on the right which is not my usual go, but I was reasonably confident that they would provide useful distraction for him. I knew he would have learnt form previous games against them and with his speed I didn't expect them to last much more than a turn regardless. I feel a quick MSU is not a great match up for me, not horrible, but not great and I went in hoping for a draw. As soon as we drew scenarios, I knew I was up against it as Pawel likes to put some in the corners where he gets to them at the last.

I tried to place my markers more in the centre to make it easier for me to contest. The game was very back and forth and Pawel made a significant mistake near the end, forgetting about surge which helped one of my hordes take out some Drakon riders. Pawel also didn't have much dice luck this game. As I hoped we ended up drawing, I had a chance at a win if my horde had managed to go through one of his individuals, I would have then over run into some palace guard. but alas it was not to be. Check his report when it's done for what I am sure will be a much better write up.

RESULT: Draw 12 - 8. Pretty sure from three games I am 0-2-1 with Pawel.

Game 2: Occupy
vs John (Elves)

John's is pretty much the only list I haven't managed to get a hold of yet, it was a reasonably standard elf list with some palace guard, two regiments of storm wind, a couple of troops of storm wind, and a dragon.

The amount of stormwind made me relatively confident. I knew the troops were unlikely to go through any of my units in one turn and the regiments wouldn't hurt so bad if I could hinder or disorder them. My list is better than my previous list for this scenario, however I still rarely find I can get across to the token worth 2 for me.

John spread out a bit, I went fairly heavily to one side where I could my organ guns in terrain for cover and slowly plink away with them, I then hoped to take the same flank with all my brocks with my rocks holding the middle.

One of my brock lords was an absolute boss in this game, he went three rounds with a regiment of palace guard before collapsing which allowed me time to get most of the match ups I wanted. John was great to play against, unfortunately he learnt how good the combination of fearless and def 6 is this game.

RESULT 15-5

Game 3: Dominate
vs Bruce Abyssal Dwarfs

The first interesting part of this game was that we had a big building dead in the centre of the map so that straight away this decreased the space for getting units in.

Dominate is easy placement for my guns, right in front of the centre circle and I had a nice little laneway for units coming in. They didn't get many clear shots because Bruce held back in terrain in front of them but when they're not killing they are discouraging movement which went in my favour.

Bruce deployed mostly in terrain with one of his regiments of halfbreeds, his halfbreed champion, slave orcs, one unit of the immortal guard, one of the gargoyles. His grotesques were in the centre but had to push back consistently because of the guns as I pushed the guns forward.
The rest of his stuff went to the other side.

From memory I deployed my rocks on the left to counter the slave orc group and one troop of brocks and brock character. The rest went right.

Basically this game turned on one turn (about turn 3) where Bruce went in heavy on one regiment of brocks with his flying characters and another unit. When he failed to go through it basically that whole flank got deleted and I barely took a causality on that side.

I could then negate the other flank fairly easily the brock lord held up the champion getting into him with a nimble charge. The guns eventually got a shot on the grotesques and I think took them out in one turn near the end as he pushed for the centre.

Bruce basically had to hide units in the end to minimise losses. Besides that bad flank Bruce also had some bad luck and was very gracious about it. It was game that just didn't go his way.

RESULT: Win 18-2

Game 4: Control
Vs Nick Le Fabulous of Rhordia

This was a super cagey game. I don't think there was any combat until turn 4. I had my rocks in the centre, hoping I would deny the 2 points and push forward if needed. They started behind a forest to hide them (except for the monster)
Nick deployed 2 organ guns on my left with a regiment of Elohi. I countered with one brock lord and a regiment deployed behind a hill.
The rest of Nick's deployment was heavy centre and my right. The rest of mine went right.
His mobile shooting and magic was awesome against my organ guns (which were spread this game, 2 centre one right). He'd pop a few wounds on and then wind blast them back, haha it was hilarious. Nick deployed so heavily centre that he blocked himself up bit during the game.

I believe this game essentially turned on my left flank, I had set up to bait the elohi with the brock lord, hoping I would then get a flank with the troop. When Nick went in I don't think I had a flank but I forgot to even check! anyway he won that combat which gave that whole side to him. Also despite the caginess of the game I think I still pushed forward to hard with my elementals, and realistically could've held back and gone for a draw. This would have left me top 5 I think.

It was a great game, Nick in the end once that flank went shot some of my elementals off, and his mobile stuff got the better of me and he won easily. The second time he has schooled me.

RESULT: Loss 3-17

I had 4 great games against great opponents. Tabletop software makes playing as a TO easy. We had about 6-7 travellers which was amazing, big props to them for making the trip.

I've been chatting to Nick re a big variation on my dwarf list to get more dwarfs in. I played the last 12 months with a more dwarf heavy list but it was very hit or miss, I went 0-3 with the previous list on Day 2 of Convic, there is no doubt the current list competes better on average but is not the most fun to play. This tournament started as about my 5 or 6th game with this list. My new variation drops the guns and goes to the long range shooters instead to give me more units strength and some board control. I don't quite have the models for the new list yet so reality is the list from this tournament may travel to Castle Assault. Given my dwarf army of all variations is mostly Scibor it is unlikely I'll get new models and painted in time. We'll see.
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Aug 26 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 12,525

Hi mattc!

Thanks a lot for the write up! It was a fantastic tournament and many thanks for organizing it.

I was truly honored to be challenged for game 1 and I think you played very well. You knew the strengths and weaknesses of my army and you used that knowledge of your enemy very well.

I have already prepared the diagrams for the report so hopefully I will be able to write it up over the weekend and post it. I am afraid I made many more mistakes! armata_PDT_04.gif

In my opinion you deserved to win this game and I got a draw thanks to the fact you did not brak my individual who blocked the passage to the objective.

It was truly enjoyable game and I am looking forward to continue our Saga of classic rivalry between Dwarfs and Elves! armata_PDT_36.gif

I am very curious about your army list evolution. It looked very good to me already and I would not worry too much about the fact there are not that many Dwarfs in it. However, I agree that units instead of war engines have the advantage of being able to hold to objectives and add unit strength to scenarios.

Cheers!
+Quote Post
mattc
post Aug 26 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #90

Thanks Swordie our games are always some of my most enjoyable games!

I might start a separate thread re my list in here. Or I'll put it as a blog on the clash of kings website when I relaunch it... working on it now
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Aug 26 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 12,525

Awesome! Can't wait to read it! smile.gif
+Quote Post
DarthSabre
post Aug 27 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 12,556

Now Matt if you start taking Dorfs in your Dorf army how am I going to make jokes about your army builds armata_PDT_36.gif e armata_PDT_36.gif

--------------------
Twitter: Darth-Celestant@darth_michaelc
My Blog : Darth's Miniature Wargaming Adventures
My KoW Journey: http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181459
+Quote Post
mattc
post Aug 28 2017, 06:44 AM
Post #93

You still did for the last 12 months and it had lots od warfs, I expect nothing to change tongue.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 05:23 AM