Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is the biggest 40k army youve seen?, Seeking knowledge of others collections
Benjaymun
post Mar 10 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #21

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 11,988

QUOTE(Blackhearts Reaver @ Mar 9 2017, 10:27 PM) *

I have from 4K -16K in each army. For every army(except the really new ones smile.gif>> alwasy something new to get) Can field 3 of most things and 6 troops often.

This makes more logical sense to me than one big army. If you own each army then it doesn't matter what shenanigans Games Workshop gets up to, you can always grab a random gamer and play a game of whatever edition using all your own resources. Future proofing.

Buy one big army and you're at the mercy of GW changing the rules on you or abandoning the game entirely, which is about as likely to eventually happen as dawn following night.

This post has been edited by Benjaymun: Mar 10 2017, 01:40 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Mar 10 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #22

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(PFIEE @ Mar 10 2017, 11:30 AM) *

Sorry beat you..... my Lazy space marine force is bigger(if I count the infantry bases as 5 figures), although on the smaller scale.... tongue.gif.... 65000 points and counting, although the Eldar are sitting at about 75000 points and counting.. biggrin.gif

Oh, I have a full chapter Epic scale too. With extras. Then there's my BFG fleet tongue.gif My Eldar force isn't as big as yours though. Not by a long shot. I just didn't see the need for 3 phantoms...

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Mar 10 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #23

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

I'm currently fighting off the temptation to do 2mm 40k, orks and imperial. Don't tempt me, I don't think I can do a whole chapter. I really like finishing companies though.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
PFIEE
post Mar 10 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,778

QUOTE(Krefey @ Mar 10 2017, 01:33 PM) *

Oh, I have a full chapter Epic scale too. With extras. Then there's my BFG fleet tongue.gif My Eldar force isn't as big as yours though. Not by a long shot. I just didn't see the need for 3 phantoms...

Cool...I think I got 14+ phantoms now... tongue.gif always need moooooooar.. armata_PDT_05.gif

@Chaplain_Fortis, but at 2mm, my gaming table should handle 85000 per side...might be worth trying biggrin.gif (swmbo would kill me, if I did another scale, so I may skip doing it and stick to 6mm... armata_PDT_07.gif )

--------------------
Regards
Greg

NetEA NetERC Tournaments, Events, Campaigns and Supplements Committee Member

NetEA Eldar AC

Epic Armies: IG, Knights, ATML, Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, SM, LaTD, WE3.8, TS6.02
+Quote Post
Rice Array
post Mar 10 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #25

snookums

Member No.: 12,942

My favourite thing is having a painted force that fits in an auspost box of some size. Something contained and complete and not too big.

Seriously much more satisfying that a sprawling collection that never ends.

--------------------
I like to use the fictional victories of fictional empires as a proxy for personal worth. Did you see this story about how space marines killed some orks one time? I own space Marines so that makes me better than you :)

If you're unconvinced I have some more stories. Happy to do a story-off any time. Official fictional stories only please. No made up fictional stories.
+Quote Post
Deb
post Mar 10 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 5,112

Until I donated my 8000 points of DeathGuard and Nurgle Daemons to a mate of mine to help him get into 40K, I had over 150,000 points in my combined Dark Eldar, Sisters, Arbites, Orks, and Chaos Marine including a lot of Battle Companies. I now only have full battle companies for Emperor's Children, World Eaters, Iron Warriors, Thousand Sons (30K with Primarch and 40K), Night Lords and smaller forces for Black Legion, and Red Corsairs; I also have added Sisters of Silence (old ronin minis and new GW made ones, Custodes (old ronin minis, GW made new ones and Scribor); 4 Titans, and another 10 Super Heavy vehicles; And all the rest of the Daemons I kept.

My mate who was posted up in Darwin had more than me, with more Titans and Super Heavies than I have collected.

I estimate I have about 2500 to 3000 minis at the moment, just for 40K. However I also play and have large armies for Battletech, Warzone Resurrection, Dystopian Wars, Robotech/Zentradi, Doctor Who, Epic Armageddon, and a few other gaming systems.

Even I think my collection is small to some I have seen.

I am now starting to collect Epic. It is one of the smallest armies I have with around 50,000 to 60,000 points in 7 armies. Each one is between 8,000 and 11,000 points each. 2 of them are actually nearly fully painted (Dark Eldar and Vraks Renegades)

This post has been edited by Deb: Mar 10 2017, 06:53 PM

--------------------
The world is chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms.

Epic Armageddon - Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle, Squats, Sian-Hann Eldar, Emperor's Children, Vraks Renegades and White Scars. Most of them over 8000 points each.

120,000 points of 40K, mostly Chaos Marine and Cultist. Sisters of Perfection (Slaaneshi Sisters), Orks mainly Kult of Speed, Dark Eldar, Sisters of Silence, Adeptus Custodes, 30K Thousand Sons, Adeptus Arbites.

Warzone Resurrection - Bauhaus, Imperial (MOW and WolfBane), Mishima, Capitol, and Brotherhood all over 8000 points each.

Dystopian Wars - Covenant of Antarctica, Australians, Ottomans, French, Russians, Mercenaries.
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Mar 10 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #27

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,113

It's good knowing I'm not the only chronic hoarder around.

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
+Quote Post
The Moon
post Mar 10 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #28

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,552

Ill be amongst your ranks as collecters in the 20's with my Eldar ... i plan to get some Astra Militarium too so i can literally play against myself for practise (i do this with chess already and despite what people say it is not impossible to do without favouring one side - tactical decisions are usually obvious)

--------------------
Live long and prosper
+Quote Post
Rice Array
post Mar 11 2017, 06:20 AM
Post #29

snookums

Member No.: 12,942

"this is the best thing I could have done with all this money"

QUOTE(The Moon @ Mar 10 2017, 09:26 PM) *

(i do this with chess already and despite what people say it is not impossible to do without favouring one side - tactical decisions are usually obvious)

if it's true that playing against yourself is a good way to get better, then how come you lose every time you do it?

--------------------
I like to use the fictional victories of fictional empires as a proxy for personal worth. Did you see this story about how space marines killed some orks one time? I own space Marines so that makes me better than you :)

If you're unconvinced I have some more stories. Happy to do a story-off any time. Official fictional stories only please. No made up fictional stories.
+Quote Post
chromedog
post Mar 11 2017, 09:17 PM
Post #30

Traditionally Unimpressed

Member No.: 3,236

Largest I got with mine was my SM army loosely themed around the 501st legion (Vader's Fist, star wars thing). They were all painted. Not brilliantly, but they were ALL painted.

A full battle company. It could field the full 10 squads (with choice of special weapons for each squad that could take them - I had multiples of each sw in the collection, as well as multiple HW choices for each option.

Plus the Chief Libby, Chaplain (master of sanctity, Brother-Father Vader. "I find your lack of faith ... disturbing ... "), Command squad of veterans, choice of transports for EACH unit that could take one (So a drop pod and a rhino for each tac squad, etc). Assorted support and anti-armour vehicles (Vindicators (3), whirlwinds (3), Land Raiders (5).).

Then the 2 full 10 man units of terminators including sufficient weapon options to form fully equipped 5 man teams, and 2 10 man squads of scouts - 1 close range support, the other long range suppression.
It topped out at around 152 infantry and 33 vehicles before I stopped and walked away from the game.

It was basically the work of about 10 years to that point. I still have select vehicles and units from the army, but probably not enough to even play 2nd ed with these days. I never calculated the points value of it all.

--------------------

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Maxo_Q
post Mar 12 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #31

Social Vampire
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,233

Eldar Iyanden Army, All current models.

Revenant
Wraithknight
3 Wraithlords
3 Warwalkers
4 Support Platforms
1 Hemlock
1 Crimson Hunter
2 Phoenix's
3 Falcons
3 Nightspinners
3 Fire Prisms
3 Wave Serpents
10 Scouts
10 Banshees
10 Scorpions
10 Firedragons
10 Swooping Hawks
10 Warp Spiders
5 Dark Reapers
20 Dire Avengers
30 Wraithguard
6 Shining Spears
6 Jetbikers
3 Vypers
100 Guardians
5 Autarchs
Triumvirate of Ynnead
20 Corsairs
Eldrad
30 Harlequins
3 Death Jesters
1 Solitaire
1 ShadowSeer
4 Sky Weavers
1 Star Weaver
1 Void Weaver
15 Warlocks
5 Farseers
2 Bonesingers
2 Wraithseers

I dunno what its points would be now. Its all unassembled unpainted except for 30 Guardians and 2 wraithlords. Its my one day project.

+Quote Post
The Moon
post Mar 13 2017, 07:41 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,552

Ah chromedog ... well you can always rebuild 😊

Maxo_Q ... that is a fine pile of minitures 😊

I have question - if i fill out my troop choices and still have points left - may i get more troop choices or need to fill up fast attack and heavy support? ... for a larger force that is (nothing but troop choices and my hq - is that legal?). I could use them as an "allied force" could i not?
Hypothetical - nothing but infantry squads for 3,000 Astra Militarum or nothing but Dire Avengers for Eldar (or Dark Reapers if old Beil-Tan choices rules are still covered?)

This post has been edited by The Moon: Mar 13 2017, 07:43 AM

--------------------
Live long and prosper
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Mar 13 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 446

If you are going to play seriously/competitively I would suggest you get jetbikes, Wraithknight, (Warpspiders > require a little finesse), farseers and a few warlocks (some mounted on bikes). and then a bit of everything else.

If you look at the Biel tann aspect heavy list they are actually very good compared to what they used to be. All of the aspects are in 7th ed are impactful and actually quite nasty. The above units however are more suited to the 7th ed game play. Fast movement or incredibly tough with nasty guns or a combination. (Eldar jetbikes can turbo 48" in 1 turn if they don't shoot and can all carry skatter lasers or shurican cannons AND are scoring/objective secured... who was on those drugs when they wrote those rules....).

Most of the aspects (except Dark Reapers) will need to be in Wave serpents that are currently one of the few things that are a bit expensive points wise to make a list out of. A consequence from 6th ed where wave serpents were KING and you would see lists with 5-8 wave serpents... They could use their shield as a shooting weapon on top of their other weapons (OP wink.gif armoured firepower that would then dump out units and was hard to kill.) 7th ed made WS less resilient and they are more expensive and the shield now does approximately what it is supposed to.... wink.gif

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Mar 13 2017, 09:53 AM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Stumphy
post Mar 13 2017, 04:41 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 5,835

My collection is not huge, but it is significant.

I started to build an IG regiment, then then kind of became an Imperial Crusade effectively.

So over 600 IG infantry
Over 50 tanks
about 100 SM infantry
15 flyers
about 100 AdMech units
2 Warhounds
A Warlord in need of completing

Then a smaller Eldar force that is more vehicles than anything else.

I collect because I enjoy the modelling and its a fairly harmless hobby to horde plastic soldiers biggrin.gif

--------------------
Armies
WM/H Circle Orboros
WM/H Skorne
40K IG Multinational Infantry army
40K Mono Nurgle Chaos Daemons
WFB Skaven
BFG Imperial
Necromunda Escher

My Painting Gallery
+Quote Post
Speedhump
post Mar 14 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 4,532

Collecting a giant force of Minis is easy, but costly.
Painting them all is amazing.

USEING them all in a game is better.

The largest game I have ever seen (and played in) was played over two days in a school hall. (On the floor! None of this 6 tables stuff. smile.gif ), we had a huge area... (Not sure, but it was big.)

There were three full companies of Marines, 1.5 companies of Terminators, a company or so of Imp guard. 2 or 3 Baneblades, a shadow sword, I think my ArmoursCast Warhound and Reaver were involved... but it was 25 years ago). There were also Spartans, Land's Raiders, Preds, Rhinos and any other vehicle we could get.

Facing them were a similar number of Chaos, Orks and Eldar (With a crashed hive fleet of 100+ Genestealers in there as well.)

Highlights were a 300" / turn jet bike race up the school corridor (About 60m long race) and the resulting collision roles for hitting the side of a Baneblade at 300". (Baneblade did not survive.)

This post has been edited by Speedhump: Mar 14 2017, 03:50 PM

--------------------
Tim Sleigh

Organiser:
Cancon and Wintercon
www.cgs.asn.au

Currently trying to find time to play: 40K, Bolt Action, FoW, TY, KoW, BKC, X-Wing, FoG: AM, Memoir 44 and FoG:N

Unreal Estates
Wargames Scenery and Models
"If you want it, I can make it or try to paint it."
(Also now playing with my new 3D printer.)

Comments will be either as my role of Organiser of Cancon/Wintercon, or as a player of various games and maker of stuff. If any post I make does not make sense in one context, try the other.
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Mar 15 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #36

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

I tried that once at a scout hall. WE finished 1 1/2 turns before we called it quits. Does make me wonder who fielding my entire chapter would go lol. But with Apoc templates etc, shouldn't take too long to clear a lot of the board smile.gif

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post
chromedog
post Mar 15 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #37

Traditionally Unimpressed

Member No.: 3,236

QUOTE(The Moon @ Mar 13 2017, 08:41 AM) *
Ah chromedog ... well you can always rebuild 😊

I could, but I have neither the patience nor the desire to spend what amounts to the GNP of a small pacific island nation to do so ... I only did it because I'd had my WHFB 3500pt army stolen from my front porch during a house move (1995) and couldn't face the rebuilding of that army.

My focus is on smaller model count games, these days - or games more favourable to beer drinking. biggrin.gif

--------------------

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.

+Quote Post
Morachi
post Mar 16 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,386

Hi lads, well yes the Dras'Volharr Warhost sits just over 105k and around 2300+ miniatures at present.

In the midst of building a display case to house it all with about 8.1 square meters of space... although I'm looking at getting some more shelves to boost that up a bit with some black melamine panels.

Still haven't really picked up the new Eldar stuff, or even so much as looked at the DE contingent which will add a good 10k to the numbers. Wanted to get the CWE/Harlies/Corsairs sorted out first before moving onto the other three (that includes Exodites).

Having a mortgage and kid, I have to keep my annual spend to 5k, which means another 3 years until its all fully painted and displayed. At least the spare bedroom is going to be freed up, if anyone stays they risk an avalanche of CWE killing them in their sleep at present.

Still have some Marines BNIB and about 15k of Nids to the side for educating the next gen in the ways of 40k.

--------------------
ERROR: Reality.sys corrupted. Reboot Universe? Y/N

105,000+ Point Eldar Warhost (WIP) - When Craftworlds Drop By - History of the Dras'Volharr

WAU Project Thread - Clicky
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Mar 16 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #39

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,113

105k. 1 army. All painted. Incredible!

I cant wait for the double spread White Dwarf will one day do on your collection.

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
+Quote Post
Morachi
post Mar 16 2017, 12:18 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 1,386

Haha, GW wouldn't touch me with a 60 foot barge pole. I have way too many 3rd party, prototype and custom models in my collection that they'd be peeved about others seeing. It's bad enough that I've had some of their former sculptors do private custom commissions let alone flaunting them en mass haha.

All good though, that's why I have a blog wink.gif

--------------------
ERROR: Reality.sys corrupted. Reboot Universe? Y/N

105,000+ Point Eldar Warhost (WIP) - When Craftworlds Drop By - History of the Dras'Volharr

WAU Project Thread - Clicky
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 02:18 PM