Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you fit plasma into your lists?
dvaston
post Aug 16 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 5,183

I am planning a raven guard marine army, with a fastish theme (ideally want units that can move faster than 6" a turn). To give some context - assume I would already have some lascannons / missiles for causing d6 wounds, and also have other anti-infantry shooting in the list as well. Assume I would have a captain / chapter master in there for re-rolls to hit.

Im struggling to find the best way to fit plasmas into my army list. I can see a few options:

3 bikes with 2 plasmas and combi plasma 122 pts - this seems like an ok option, but not many shots.

3 inceptors with plasmas 177 pts - random number of shots 6-18, shortish range only 18" - this is probably my preferred option, but they are kind of a suicide squad. deepstrike in, hope you roll well for the number of shots, and maybe you can assault something afterwards and cause a couple of mortal wounds as you charge. But their shortish range would leave them vulnerable, and they are only T5 6w.

hellblasters - I really want to like these guys, but their loadouts are a bit weird.
5 guys with assault plasma incinerators gives you 10 shots at 24" and you can advance and shoot for 175pts, but they are only S6 (S7 with overcharge)

The standard plasma incinerators seem to be popular, but only getting 5 shots for 165 points, only 6" movement (but with 30" range) are they worth it?

sternguard / company veterans with plasmas / combi-plasmas could work but how would you get them into range? Drop pod could work, but wouldn't inceptors be more points efficient? Does anyone take drop pods in 8th?
I guess you could use the Ravenguard Strategem to infiltrate them close, and hope you can get some rapid fire shots off?

plasmas on redemptor dreadnaught - could work but kind of expensive and you wouldn't want to risk overcharging.

The other option is devastators with plasma cannons, but they would need to be static and have a captain nearby to get the best use out of them. I am trying to avoid static units if I can.

Any advice is appreciated.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Aug 17 2018, 12:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 446

2x 4 DA plasmacanons in a ally with DA stratgems(+1 extra damage)+ chapter master+lieutenant (move and fire 4d3 at effectively 75% hits. until you can stand still (ups o 89%).

in 2K you could run 2 battalions.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Aug 17 2018, 12:48 AM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
dvaston
post Aug 17 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,183

QUOTE(Blackhearts Reaver @ Aug 17 2018, 12:46 AM) *

2x 4 DA plasmacanons in a ally with DA stratgems(+1 extra damage)+ chapter master+lieutenant (move and fire 4d3 at effectively 75% hits. until you can stand still (ups o 89%).
in 2K you could run 2 battalions.

You mean "Weapons from the Dark Age" strategem? I must of missed that.
Thats pretty good for only 1 CP. You can get 3 Damage per shot when overcharging, for each guy in the squad. Yikes

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 12:53 AM