> Genestealer cult discussion
Krefey
post Oct 4 2016, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Dark & Bored of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Support: Veteran Merchant
Member No.: 98

So with the codex out now (I haven't picked one up yet), curious as to peoples' thoughts on the codex. What do you like, what do you think is average and what do you hate about the codex people have been waiting on for 20 years?

--------------------
Kickstarter got funded! Missed out? pre-order on backerkit!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
morsla
post Oct 4 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I really like it.

Purestrains are actually something to worry about now, with an extra attack base, and invulnerable dodge saves.

The Neophytes are my favourite unit (I always liked the Brood Brothers) - able to use the Return to the Shadows / Ambush tricks to redeploy and reinforce numbers, and also able to fit in a solid number of shooting upgrades in each unit.

Acolytes look great. On one hand they hit damn hard for 8 point infantry - I4 S4 rending attacks... on the other hand, defensively they're just expensive Guardsmen. Good balance in terms of glass cannon offense and survivability.

I'm not super keen on the new vehicles (Goliath truck / rockgrinder), but I like being able to take some of the more common Guard vehicles.

They don't have the orders and tactics available to a Guard army, but have more deployment tricks and some nasty melee units. Looking at the models I have available, it looks like a much more interesting way of using them in a game smile.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
[Infinity|Nomads] [Wrath of Kings|Goritsi] [WHQ|Silver Tower]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Oct 4 2016, 10:05 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

I saw a fluff explanation as to why the cult purestrains are better than the hive fleet ones on FB earlier. Really liked the whole "they could be hundreds of years old and are more hardcore experienced than day old vat grown noobs"

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
morsla
post Oct 4 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

It seems like a reasonable enough excuse... Genestealers in a Hive Fleet are just shock-assault troops to throw in behind the Hormagant waves. In a Cult, they're the heart of the entire operation.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Oct 4 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #5

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,113

Paging Spakka

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
+Quote Post
Spakka
post Oct 5 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #6

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,363

Paging Spakka

Yeah, I'll be doing up my review of the codex over the next couple of days. The last week has been rather hectic for me, and I've only managed to have a really brief once-over look at it so far.

Was quite impressed with what I saw though. Even at a casual glance, it looks like GW have really nailed the right blend between fluff and functionality on this one.

This post has been edited by Spakka: Oct 5 2016, 10:02 AM

--------------------
Crew Member of Team Pirate Gosford

Clan Nova Cat. Making your victories pyrrhic since 2807.
+Quote Post
Garandras
post Oct 5 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #7

Unregistered

Loving the concept for this Codex, seems like it will be fun to play.

There are some issues with Cult Ambush and the wording of it.

the only real downside on the lists, is that they have some awesome Psy Powers, but only 2 Psy units and if you take their Detachment you can only have a max of 4 psy dice before the roll, unless you go for multiple detachments.

The list themselves can be very horde, or you can go for Mechanised Guard with Genestealers

I am not convinced by the new armour units, they look kewl but I think I would prefer a chimera over a goliath (also the model real money costs are a tad high)

I do enjoy how all of the HQ options give AOE buffs, there is also potential for making a nasty Genestealer Unit, Take the First Curse and then a CAD (or more) with 2 Patriarchs..

This post has been edited by Garandras: Oct 5 2016, 09:30 AM
+Quote Post
barramonday
post Oct 6 2016, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,948

Really expensive. Acolytes are excellent troops but they're 8 points each, sold in a box of five for $70...
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Oct 6 2016, 02:39 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE(barramonday @ Oct 6 2016, 03:30 PM) *

Really expensive. Acolytes are excellent troops but they're 8 points each, sold in a box of five for $70...

I don't care about the pricing. That isn't what I want to discuss. I'd like to discuss the fluff, rules and feel of the army as a whole. We don't need to drag this into yet another "GW pricing blah blah blah" argument.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
morsla
post Oct 6 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

I wish I'd snapped up some more of the Deathwatch: Overkill squads while they were available separately on eBay - particularly the Acolytes. I have one set, which I'll be using to bulk out squads with - a single Acolyte/Metamorph boxed set gives plenty of weapon upgrades, and means I now have 17 figures to split across the units.

My codex arrived yesterday, and I've started going through it in detail. I really like the way they've fleshed out the Cult background, tying together bits of backstory from Shield of Baal, Overkill etc. In particular, cults manage to hide in plain sight fairly well in an Imperium that's all about worshipping ill-defined saviour/saint/deity types...

I'm reviving my House Cawdor army as a cult: previously mistaken for fire-and-brimstone Imperial Judgement types, it now looks like they've been crusading in the name of a different saviour from beyond the stars. Just as zealous, but slightly more likely to eat you when it arrives on the planet.

Plus, it helps to explain why they're all so fixated on hiding their faces behind masks all the time...

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Orange-Bell
post Oct 6 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #11

Space Coyote

Member No.: 920

QUOTE(Krefey @ Oct 6 2016, 12:39 PM) *

I don't care about the pricing. That isn't what I want to discuss. I'd like to discuss the fluff, rules and feel of the army as a whole. We don't need to drag this into yet another "GW pricing blah blah blah" argument.

Though it's probably worth mentioning that if you don't want to spend too much money and enjoy converting, if you combined human and genestealer boxes (and the hybrids boxes themselves with all their bits if you are buying a box or two) you could make your own relatively easily.
+Quote Post
BearPowers
post Oct 6 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 13,540

Well yeah, there's a lot of potential for some kitbashing with either Cadian or Catachan guardsmen. Expensive, yes but exciting too! So psyched by this army. It genuinely looks like a lot of fun.
+Quote Post
ĆON
post Oct 6 2016, 11:18 PM
Post #13

Edition Change Skeptic

Member No.: 222

Are the unit rules for the deathwatch overkill models useful in a Genestealer army? Most are a little different to their codex counterparts

--------------------

"Hail ĆON - Slayer of the Scrubs"

Full Disclosure - Yes, I really am a scrub :)

WHFB 8.5 Community FaceBook Group

40K Chapter Unapproved FaceBook Group
+Quote Post
ThatWallyGuy
post Oct 7 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,305

QUOTE(morsla @ Oct 6 2016, 04:04 PM) *

I'm reviving my House Cawdor army as a cult: previously mistaken for fire-and-brimstone Imperial Judgement types, it now looks like they've been crusading in the name of a different saviour from beyond the stars. Just as zealous, but slightly more likely to eat you when it arrives on the planet.

Yeah my Delaque are going to be a unit of neophytes, as well as my Redemptioners

QUOTE(ĆON @ Oct 7 2016, 12:18 AM) *

Are the unit rules for the deathwatch overkill models useful in a Genestealer army? Most are a little different to their codex counterparts

Actually haven't really looked at the overkill units.. but it is the same faction.. but they wont have cult ambush which may mean they wont be great in comparison

This post has been edited by ThatWallyGuy: Oct 7 2016, 08:14 AM

--------------------
Only The Insane Can Truly Prosper
Only Those Who Can Prosper Can Truly Judge What Is Sane
+Quote Post
morsla
post Oct 7 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Similar to the Deathwatch models from Overkill in a regular Deathwatch army - they'll still do exactly what they've always done, but there may not be much of a need for them. Genestealer Cults and Deathwatch are both designed around some army-wide rules (Cult Ambush/Return to Shadows and Mission Tactics), which are emphasised even further in their special detachments (Cult Insurrection / Black Spear Strike Force). The Overkill units lack those rules, and you're also less likely to be running a Combined Arms detachment that has slots to put them into.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
ThatWallyGuy
post Oct 10 2016, 10:17 AM
Post #16

Had a look over the Overkill GSC stuff.

Missing out on the Cult Ambush makes them unlikely to be used.

Had anyone played a game with the new GSC yet? was planning to try and get a game in before my wedding/holiday at the end of the week but looking unlikely at this stage

--------------------
+Quote Post
ĆON
post Oct 10 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #17

Edition Change Skeptic

The Patriarch can infiltrate with a unit with Cult Ambush and the Acolytes with Fearless could be useful.

Alternatively, the grand formation of stuff for 600pts could be useful. The unique Primus with Zealot and the unit Patriarch with Stealth and Hit&Run could be very useful in certain builds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ThatWallyGuy
post Oct 10 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #18

But wouldn't the unit lose its cult ambush ability because the OK Patriarch doesn't have it?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ĆON
post Oct 10 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #19

Edition Change Skeptic

QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Oct 10 2016, 01:03 PM) *

But wouldn't the unit lose its cult ambush ability because the OK Patriarch doesn't have it?

Not if I read it properly. So an IC or a unit could bring a model without it. That said, unsure if it will be worth it. Full disclosure, I don't have the wording of the rule handy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Oct 15 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 446

Wowo only got my codex today.....

The biggest rule in the codex on first read....:
-Unquestioning Loyalty...... oh my god.

I was a bit unsure about the goliath for 50 and rockgrinder for 75 but the demo charge is a pretty much auto include.
It will definately be a solid codex. It wont be top teir I dont think.

Will get back more later.

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2017 - 08:20 AM