Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rebecca leaves The Blind Pig., So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Blind Pig
post Mar 18 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #1

The Cook

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,465

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...p;#entry2568289

It seems that I have been lax in running the Blind Pig and have disappointed some people.

After nearly 14 years of running The Blind Pig, I am out. This has been coming for some time and I have not been enjoying The Pig for a number of years.

I work long hours as a Registerd Nurse, and give up sometimes my only day off each week to help run The Pig and often have to take days off to be there, at a cost of my only rest day and many thousands of dollars each year to me.

Thankyou to all those who have helped over the years, your continued help will be needed to keep the club running, if that is what you wish.

Anyone who would like to store the trailer, the 50+ other tables we own and the 50 something boxes of terrain that are stored in my garage, let me know.

thanks
Rebecca

--------------------
See our new LAZOR!!!! cut scenery webstore at http://www.bplaser.com

The Blind Pig
Usually the First and Third Saturday of each month. March to mid-December 9:30am to 4:30pm
Finnish Hall 62 Newnham Road Mount Gravatt Brisbane QLD

And I too forgot to log off at work. The things we get up to when we're supposed to be gainfully employed, huh? - Dr D
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wombats
post Mar 18 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,420

I deeply appreciate what you've done for us.
Its more than one person should shoulder.
Literally.

You should have spat the dummy a while ago.

There are a enough people to take up the slack in the club and we should have done long ago. I've always felt vaguely guilty about it. Its only your being so selfless that has let us be that lazy.

Enjoy your free time for yourself, its more important.

This post has been edited by Wombats: Mar 18 2014, 10:06 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Cannonball
post Mar 18 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Whatever it takes

Member No.: 69

Sorry to hear Bec. Best of luck with your games and projects though.

--------------------
#Brenton2016
+Quote Post
dubhgilla1
post Mar 18 2014, 11:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,619

QUOTE(Blind Pig @ Mar 18 2014, 09:30 PM) *

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...p;#entry2568289
It seems that I have been lax in running the Blind Pig and have disappointed some people.

Well this has come as a terrible surprise.

I can honestly tell you I've never heard any descent or negative comments about your running of the Pig. (Some people think your a stroppy moo, but I'm not naming names).

I'd love to know who it is that has this problem with the person who gives up so much time to furnish us such amazing tables.

I can fully understand if your not enjoying it you may leave, but like this??? These disappointed people are in a very low percentage Rebecca.

It very sad to hear your going. I hope a rest will see your return in time.

Yours Alan.

Edit: Ok just read your link. May I suggest something? If people don't like the way you are running the Pig maybe they could just FxxKoff to another club? Ok sorted? Your staying.

THREAD CLOSED - NOTHING TO SEE HERE - MODS PLEASE DELETE.

This post has been edited by dubhgilla1: Mar 18 2014, 11:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
AncientOne
post Mar 19 2014, 06:25 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,057

NOT HAPPY.

--------------------
My ignorance amuses me.

My blog lot Mad Jack's Lot

Brisbane's best game spot. The Blind Pig

AKA, Captain Jack, Mad Jack, Gaming Whore and the latest "The Pacifist".
+Quote Post
Hipcat
post Mar 19 2014, 07:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,801

QUOTE(AncientOne @ Mar 19 2014, 06:25 AM) *

NOT HAPPY.

+1

Sam, if you had concerns with the way the Pig is run, it's worth a PM or a word face-to-face. Broadcasting your thoughts in a non-Blind Pig forum isn't classy or cool.

It may be that this is what the strain of running the club has built to, but this is an awful way for things to go down!

This post has been edited by Hipcat: Mar 19 2014, 07:14 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Mar 19 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,512

Yeah I think wombats is a vast minority here.... I have never had any kind of problem with the way you run the show.

And on that note, it is very much YOUR show. Considering how much time, effort and money you poured into this club just so other nerds could have a semi social outlet. If you wanna yell at people for touching your things then feel free. Its your stuff and if you want to be protective of it then thats just fine.

You have put together so very much terrain which has saved me from having to make my own for years. I vote that anyone that doesnt appreciate the things you have done shouldnt get the privilege of enjoying the club.

So its settled, Bec will stay, Wombats will leave. And anyone else that has a problem with the pig or the way its run can go with him.

Cheers, Ronin

This post has been edited by Ronin: Mar 19 2014, 07:34 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Mar 19 2014, 09:27 AM
Post #8

Wyrd Henchman

Member No.: 7,498

This makes me very disappointed that one opinionated loudmouth has decided that instead of actively trying to assist and come up with a solution has instead just criticized and disparaged those who selflessly support the community both with time and no small outlay of their own money.

I really appreciate all of the hard work that Bec and all of the other volunteers that set-up and run the Blind Pig two weekends every month. Anyone who puts in the time to facilitate someone else's hobby deserves a huge amount of praise.

It's all very well to turn up and play games but players need to remember that the table you play on, the terrain on the table, the hall you are standing in all had to be organised by someone in their own time.

I understand and sympathise Bec's feelings on this matter and obviously she has had a gutfull of the BS that comes from idiots with a misplaced sense of entitlement. I don't begrudge her wanting to throw it all in. However, I do hope to see her remain a part of the community in some capacity.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
+Quote Post
mephetran
post Mar 19 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 571

Hapless Peon, well said.

--------------------
http://www.blindpiggamesclub.com/

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."--Maj. Gen James Mattis

When I die, I'll go to heaven 'cause I've already done my time in hell.
Participant of the South-east Asian War Games: Viet Nam '70-'71....One of J.G.'s Hired Guns
+Quote Post
Durkah
post Mar 19 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #10

Broken Badass

Member No.: 6,267

QUOTE(Hapless Peon @ Mar 19 2014, 10:27 AM) *

I understand and sympathise Bec's feelings on this matter and obviously she has had a gutfull of the BS that comes from idiots with a misplaced sense of entitlement. I don't begrudge her wanting to throw it all in. However, I do hope to see her remain a part of the community in some capacity.

Just stepping in here quickly to say that I have felt similar to the way Bec does. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes her a couple of months till she wants to have anything to do with the club again. It is very hard to "let go". It also hurts a lot when people want to pick on things that you volunteer your personal time for so that others may benefit. Someone put up here that they had seen her play 1 game in the entire time she has helped run BP. Consider that if you want a successful club, you normally have to give up your time to help run it. If no one else wants to you end up shouldering the responsibilities alone which can put further stress on yourself and cause small things to blow out to big ones. And of course it's not a full time job, its a hobby so you cannot focus your full 24/7 attention to it as you have other things in your life to do. Family, work, friends, other hobby commitments etc. This is something members sometimes forget.

Anyway, I hope you guys sort out the troubles within and Bec can finally enjoy a break and maybe get back into playing games.

--------------------
"Just wow" The new meta for getting banned on WAU. Lives claimed since November 2014: 2

QUOTE(esrun @ Feb 8 2012, 04:53 PM) *
DND = do not disturb

I always play this especially while fapping.

Anthony Z:

"I don't understand why you take morale tests from dangerous terrain. Did you see what that rock did to Jim, quick run"

"######e tourney... Better alternative to going is masturbating with sand paper"

QUOTE(Elliot.Yung @ May 12 2013, 09:23 PM) *
You know your rule knowledge is bad when Shaun Hogan is correcting you :P

QUOTE(JBrehaut @ Mar 18 2015, 10:30 AM) *
If you really knew how to pullout, you wouldn't need a babysitter
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Mar 19 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #11

Combat Simian

Member No.: 12,758

The only thing I can say here is I'm sorry I didn't join the club sooner. Bec you and all of the other people who have given so much time towards this club are my heroes I wish I had more time prior to my own family commitments to help out in a much more meaningful way it means an awful lot to me that somewhere like this exists at all and the fact that anyone begrudges its on going operation is just bizarre to me.

Sorry to see you step down but please don't be shy it doesn't suit the Bec I know and hopefully I'll see you sometime soon. Really you have to meet my newest little hairy Mongolian baby nothing restores your faith in humanity like cute children right?

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
Mick81
post Mar 19 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,121

To all that go to the Pig.

Bec has always been the driving force behind the club and without her the future for the Blind Pig is more than uncertain. Paul will inform us this weekend of what will become of the club. She has put in countless hours and moneys of her own for the great terrain that some people take for granted and show disrespect for (like moving a table without the courtesy of asking). Would I pack away your miniatures and what would be your response?

Wombats once said to me that "one person can spoil it for everyone". How true. Whatever is decided this weekend. Everyone who attends the Pig needs to show Bec the respect and gratitude that's deserved and overdue, if she shows. For those who can't or won't show the proper respect please don't show up.

Bec please show up so we can give you a proper send off.

Mick out.

--------------------
[url=http:// https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxkc0OKECTH...sp=docslist_api]BLIND PIG Dreadball League Season 1 Rules[/url]
+Quote Post
Wombats
post Mar 19 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #13

I'm thrilled with the way you run the Pig, Bec. You know that.

What I was criticizing was you going into a thread about running a tournament, started by a person who had just run a 12 person tournament for the club and is asking you about scenery and you direct him to the what are you playing thread when he is going to be organising an outside playing group and taking money.

You didn't read the thread, did you?
Its called Kings of War tournament interest.

AncientOne and Mick81 you did the same thing.
There are three requests for boards in the what are you playing thread right now, repeating that to someone asking to run a tournament to tease them is idiotic. They have been there for a week.

Its abusive behaviour towards someone helping the club, and its on top of your constant screaming at me when I touch the scenery.

Glibly replying I can take stuff off the trailer is pretty trite when the last two times I did ended in a screamed ###### OFF.

No-one deserves verbal abuse. Its not okay.

You do wonderful stuff for us, things you shouldn't for the sake of your health. It doesn't give you a free ticket to verbally abuse people.

I've directed several people to the Pig only to have them leave after you screamed at them in public.
Its not okay. Anywhere. Not matter how much effort you've put in.

I'm glad you are stopping putting too much of your time into something you are not enjoying.

There are 50 fat lazy bastards including me who should have taken up the slack years ago.

I hope you get a good sleep in this Saturday.
Working night shifts you need it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 19 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 84

QUOTE(Mick81 @ Mar 19 2014, 06:03 PM) *

Bec please show up so we can give you a proper send off.

Crikey, she isnt going on a voyage to Mars smile.gif

Have a much needed break, refresh, reinvigorate and find the passion again that puts a smile on your face and gives you a good nights sleep smile.gif
+Quote Post
Thousand sons
post Mar 19 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,505

What?

I was hoping to see Vis one get his testicles super glued to the floor boards, and yelled at to jump.

On a serious note, someone who sets up, tears down, stores equipment, runs a club, works nights, assists with tournaments, to ensure I have fun, gives up their day off, builds scenery, fixes scenery, doesn't get a game, cooks sausages so I have a greasy full tummy, in my opinion, is allowed to be cranky.

Hope to see you there this Saturday Bec.

sad.gif

This post has been edited by Thousand sons: Mar 19 2014, 06:37 PM
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Mar 19 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,512

QUOTE(Wombats @ Mar 19 2014, 06:22 PM) *

No-one deserves verbal abuse. Its not okay.

Wah wah wah. You never been yelled at before?? Christ if I got all butthurt everytime someone yelled at me id never sit down!!

Bec may not be the only person that makes the club happen but she is a large part of the driving force and a figurehead (hence why her WAU handle is Blind Pig, and not Pauls) and as such deserves alot more respect than you afford her.

And yes wombats, I remember several other instances of you making demands of her and trying to put your swing on her actions where she was offering to do people favours.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wombats
post Mar 19 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #17

Guys, read the whole thread. From the start.

AncientOne's loving whipping you guys into a manufactured frenzy.

Its a discussion about the comparative benefits of different venues, then he gets his knickers in a knot.
His all caps thread has been locked by someone for a reason.
He likes to get people riled up.
Don't indulge him.

We all love Bec. To imply otherwise is just stupid.

I didn't think I could touch the tables because she had shouted at me several times and I take that sort thing seriously. It made what they were saying pretty unfair. Especially in a thread where an established tourney organiser is being taunted to submit requests for scenery in the weekly thread when there is a sticky at the top of these forums asking him to talk to people when organising a tournament so he doesnt let his players down.

Respect doesn't extend to copping verbal abuse for asking reasonable questions.

It has caused mis-communication (the above scenery dispute case in point) and driven multiple groups away from the Pig.
Verbal abuse is a reasonable thing to object to.

This post has been edited by Wombats: Mar 19 2014, 07:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 19 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 84

QUOTE(Ronin @ Mar 19 2014, 07:12 PM) *

Wah wah wah. You never been yelled at before?? Christ if I got all butthurt everytime someone yelled at me id never sit down!!

Lets take a bit of a breath here.

Yelling at people isnt acceptable is it, if I was yelled at at work I would consider a formal complaint, if I was yelled at as a customer of a store I would definately complain to the management. If I was yelled at in a social environment then I would most likely choose to remove myself from that environment and inform others of my experience.

A club cannot condone verbal abuse of anyone, a club lives and breathes by its members and no matter how much an indivdual contributes or doesnt contribute each person needs to treated equally for the club to prosper.

Has Bec contributed more than anyone else on the planet ever to a club? probably, it sure sounds like it with the glowing reports of her fantastic terrain and the uncounted mass of hours of decicated service in a myriad of roles.

Does that give her a pass card to abuse people? No

Bec herself mentioned this is a long time coming and maybe a break was needed a long time ago, I am sure many (including myself) would have probably swung a punch or 2 if we has invested as much as Bec has in the club and see it disrespected in some way but thats an indicator when we need to walk away, get some perspective and learn to enjoy our hobby rather than being chained to it.

From my limited expierience with the Pig I see it is a great club with a good diverse range of people (thats why I drive 100km to get to it) and (I believe) Bec has been the foundation of the club for a long time and the reason it still exists after many years.

But we all know that sometimes we can all get too invested in something, contribute so much to an event or a hobby that we take everything as a personal slight and we dont even realize that at that point we stopped enjoying the hobby a long time ago but we wake up one day, look around and say 'what the hell am i doing'. This happened to me many years ago playing 40k, I was at a tourney and thought to myself "why am I here, im not enjoying this" and realized I had just been going through the motions as a sour arsed prick doing something I thought I enjoyed but didnt.

Anyway its a long post, I hope people understand I am not trying to be inflammatory but lets be realistic, accept other peoples views and perceptions, give Bec the raps she thoroughly deserves and fondly wish that she can return one day and enjoy the hobby again smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mango: Mar 19 2014, 07:33 PM
+Quote Post
Wombats
post Mar 19 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #19

Thanks for not getting caught up in the silliness, Mango.

Has Bec contributed more than anyone else on the planet ever to a club? probably,

Not probably.
Absolutely.

She's handcrafted most of the terrain and given too many Friday nights and weekends for way too long, bought her current car to be able to use the trailer, stored gear in a tiny garage and just generally been brilliant.

We have the best club in the country, at least, because of Bec.

Leveraging that to rile her up is pretty bloody cruel and I'm sorry I got used in that thread, it was poor timing to complain about being shouted at. It was the connection with losing Josh and his Infinity crew to Irresistible Force and the similarities to Neal's efforts that brought back those memories. Not the best place for the anger to show.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Mar 19 2014, 08:23 PM
Post #20

Wyrd Henchman

Member No.: 7,498

QUOTE(Wombats @ Mar 19 2014, 07:25 PM) *

Guys, read the whole thread. From the start.

AncientOne's loving whipping you guys into a manufactured frenzy.

Its a discussion about the comparative benefits of different venues, then he gets his knickers in a knot.
His all caps thread has been locked by someone for a reason.
He likes to get people riled up.
Don't indulge him.

We all love Bec. To imply otherwise is just stupid.

I didn't think I could touch the tables because she had shouted at me several times and I take that sort thing seriously. It made what they were saying pretty unfair. Especially in a thread where an established tourney organiser is being taunted to submit requests for scenery in the weekly thread when there is a sticky at the top of these forums asking him to talk to people when organising a tournament so he doesnt let his players down.

Respect doesn't extend to copping verbal abuse for asking reasonable questions.

It has caused mis-communication (the above scenery dispute case in point) and driven multiple groups away from the Pig.
Verbal abuse is a reasonable thing to object to.

Sam I read that whole thread and if you honestly think you are blameless in this situation then you really need to remove your head from your ###.

You have come across as rude, condescending and demanding. When alternatives and solutions were offered you flippantly dismissed them and brought up other things.

You say that you have respect for Bec yet your posts were anything but respectful and many of the issues you mentioned could have been resolved at the time by actually talking to the people involved.

It's also not the first time you have stirred up trouble with people who work hard to try and provide us opportunities to further our hobby. You can't behave like this then step back and go, "woah settle down everyone."

Perhaps you need to take a second look at how you come across in many of your posts and take a bit of responsibility yourself.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2019 - 02:24 AM