Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Triple Trouble - Order, Destruction and Chaos, Family Slow Grow
Hapless Peon
post Feb 11 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #1

Wyrd Henchman

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 7,498

My two children have reached an age where they want to play with the War Dollies like their old man and so we have decided to build some armies together. First of all we had to work out what type of game they wanted to play; sci-fi, fantasy or historical; skirmish or big battle. They both told me that they wanted to do fantasy and while they were tempted by the Hobbit they preferred the look and style of Warhammer Fantasy.

Initially I was very dubious about AoS having left WHFB at the transition to 8th edition and had heard all of the hyperbole and community unhappiness over the change to AoS. My first thoughts were that we were going to play 7th edition, 9th Age or Kings of War. However, when we went into GW to pick up some starter units I was handed some sheets with the rules for AoS. Looking over them they seemed like a good place to start with as my boys are 9 and 7 so a more streamlined ruleset seemed ideal. I also grabbed a copy of the GHB as I think adding points values back in make the game a little more fair and balanced.

So what Armies are we doing? My eldest loves the Elves (Aelves) and while initially it was going to be a generic High Elf/Order army the release of the Island of Blood/Spire of Dawn box seemed too good a deal to pass up so he'll be doing a Swifthawk Agents army to begin with and perhaps branch out later. My Youngest on the other hand is a Gobbo fiend through and through, he wants Moonclan and Spiderfang Grots with perhaps a few Troggoths later on.

Now with Order and Destruction armies being planned I figured I should do a different Grand Alliance leaving the choices of Death and Chaos. I've never really liked the Undead armies and was thinking of doing a Beastmen force when I saw the new Tzeentch releases and with the new Tzaangors I knew what I wanted to do.

First 1000 points

Order - Swifthawk Agents Allegiance

Archmage (120)
General, Command Trait: Master of Defense, Artifact: Phoenix Stone

High Warden (220)
Artifact: Quicksilver Potion

10 x Swordmasters (200)

20 x Spireguard (240)
Battleline

5 x Reavers (160)
Battleline

Guardians of the Dawnspire (40)

Total 980

Destruction - Destruction Allegiance

Grot Big Boss on Gigantic Spider (100)
General, Command Trait: Bellowing Tyrant, Artifact: Battle Brew

Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)

10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)

20 x Moonclan Grots (120)
Stabbas & Moon Shields, 3 x Nettas, Battleline

20 x Moonclan Grots (120)
Bows & Slittas, Battleline

4 x Grot Fanatics (120)

Arachnarok Spider (280)

Total 1000

Chaos - Tzeentch Allegiance

Ogroid Thaumaturge (160)
General, Command Trait: Cult Demagogue, Artifact: Daemonheart

Tzaangor Shaman (120)
Artifact: Aspect of Tzeentch

10 x Tzaangors (180)
2 x Mutants, 4 x Savage Greatblades, 4 x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield, Battleline

10 x Tzaangors (180)
2 x Mutants, 4 x Savage Greatblades, 4 x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield, Battleline

3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (160)

3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (160)

Tzaangor Coven (40)

Total 1000

Should keep us out of trouble for a little while. Not going for super hard lists, more just thematic and fun with a variety of unit types to get a handle on how the game plays.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mkragh
post Feb 14 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,853

Will you be doing a narrative campaign? I would think that build up a story around the games would be a great way to get the interest going, and you can make some smaller games as well.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter for gaming chatter: mikragh

My gaming and painting blog: Games Theatre
+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Feb 14 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #3

Wyrd Henchman

Member No.: 7,498

QUOTE(mkragh @ Feb 14 2017, 08:30 PM) *

Will you be doing a narrative campaign? I would think that build up a story around the games would be a great way to get the interest going, and you can make some smaller games as well.

That's a really good idea. I'm still flat out assembling the armies at the moment with some assistance (I tend to get a little obsessed with removing mold lines which slows the process). I love the Spire of Dawn kit with very minimal assembly but the old High Elf multi-part plastics are a nightmare (6+ pieces on a grunt mini is too much).

Kids are off at their mum's this weekend so I should get some solid work in as well as doing some terrain.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
+Quote Post
Gorechilds Protege
post Oct 29 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,556

I stopped in early 7th ed after playing for years with my pure night goblins vs my friends Dwarves (apparently he never won, came close once when it was his general vs mine and 1 night gobbo and he was literally 1 wound away from winning and he died lol - he also had perfect guessed range for artuillery but in the end he was playing pure combat dwarves because when he took ranged units I beat him faster lol, I also took at best, 2 fanatics at 2,000pts, that always threw anyone I played against off, as everyone always assumed you had 3 fanatics in your big blocks of gobbos but the squig block with full rank bonus thanks to the 60+ herders was the real killer) and when he moved away I wandered into my local GW and asked for games against good players as I'd beat people otherwise, the first player I tabled losing 3 savage orc boyz the second vs the store manager who bragged about having won multiple tournaments with his brettonians I also tabled but I lost half a unit of night goblins {yeah I was experimenting with some orcs in with the night gobbos at the time of 7th} and well I quit after that as I needed a challenge alas).

Anyways that and everyone who bought battle for skull pass apparently had a night goblina rmy and this pissed me right off as common goblins+forest goblins+night goblins meant you had a common goblin army NOT a night goblin army.

What can I say, I love my little night goblins and no amount of calling them moonclan is going to stop me calling them night goblins either!

Anyways< I got into AoS recently myself. I'm curious to know how this project has develoed since February.

--------------------
My 'Oldhammer' Tyranids and Rainbow Warriors Blog

QUOTE(Starfire @ Aug 18 2012, 07:22 PM) *

But seriously, I'm amazed by just how little GP has written. On a scale of 1 to Gorechild's Protege, this is nothing. It's like a Heavy Incinerator with which you've just rolled a 1 to wound.

"Don't try to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors, try to be better than yourself." - Faulkner.

QUOTE(Paddlepop Lion @ Mar 21 2012, 10:40 AM) *

All of these things just smash you unforgivingly and theres nothing you can do to stop them. Its completely stupid to take this army the way it is, you will degfinately lose every game no matter how good you are.

Challenge Accepted!

W/L/D = 0/0/1
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 07:00 AM