Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rust-Oleum, Fiddly Bits, Ironlak vs Specific Miniature Primer?
G3ck0
post Jan 24 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,105

Looking to start painting, just basic miniatures to start with (cheap ones from eBay, board games etc) before moving onto more complicated things. I see these 3 brands mentioned, which one is best? Also, what is the actual difference between the 3 mentioned, and specific miniature primers from GW, Tamiya etc.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andy242
post Jan 28 2019, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,044

Hey man!

Basically it's all down to how fine the pigment is- the GW paints purport to have really fine pigments, meaning that details should be caked in paint.

Can you still screw it up with GW paints? Heck yes.

People have definitely had success with those other brands; I'd see if there's anything you can spray with one of the cheaper brands- coke bottles, bits of sprue, that sort of thing, then just try painting on them; it's worth a punt to see if you can make it work on the lower end; I've had success with cheaper brands!
+Quote Post
deathkraiser
post Jun 28 2020, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,158

I have used Citadel spray, Rustoleum Grey Primer and Fiddly Bits flat black as undercoats before.

My findings were that the Rustoleum didn't take paint very well, but gave good coverage. The Fiddly Bits flat black takes paint fine but it tends to have this weird coverage where some parts are very flat and some are kinda glossy.

So far neither have lived up to the Citadel (GW) sprays.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th July 2020 - 10:28 PM