User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Angmar
post Nov 20 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #23

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 239

Well done on Tom taking it out, I bet he was happy when he drew the chaos list!. Experience with armies really does make quite the difference!. Even still, i was surprise when Andy lost to Tom with that GK list.

Fun times!
+Quote Post
cool_conoly
post Nov 20 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,698

Congrats to Tom and everyone who played!

--------------------
Long live Pony Boy!
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Nov 20 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #25

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Nice one guys. Thanks for the coverage (even though I wasn't around to check it)

Congrats to Tom. Better luck next time everyone else. I'd be interested to hear from some of the players about how they felt about list balance in the end.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
quin
post Nov 20 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Nov 20 2011, 09:24 PM) *

Nice one guys. Thanks for the coverage (even though I wasn't around to check it)

Congrats to Tom. Better luck next time everyone else. I'd be interested to hear from some of the players about how they felt about list balance in the end.

Yes Tom played very well against good lists, he deserved the title today.

On list balancing, it is getting a little sore, everyone has their own opinion. Performances and comments have been made honestly best man won today.

--------------------
I am not a god, BUT, the creator DEVOURER of god's!

-----------------------------------------
2012 - Complete my space vampires in razorbacks

“The winner of the game is the player who makes the next-to-last mistake” (Savielly Tartakover)
+Quote Post
neil
post Nov 20 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #27

Clever Dick

Member No.: 2,415

QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Nov 20 2011, 09:24 PM) *

I still have absolutely no idea what i was supposed to do with the 210 point tankbusta unit....
Was ok against nids tho.

--------------------
Rule Zero: Don't attack or belittle bigots you share these forums with. Just because they incessantly post intolerant diatribes directed at racial minorities, women & the LGBTI community, doesn't mean they don't have feelings and won't be hurt by rude comments. Remember, posting hate speech is not against the forum rules - unless it's directed at another member, of course!
+Quote Post
trigger happy
post Nov 20 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 4,458

QUOTE(neil @ Nov 20 2011, 09:09 PM) *

I still have absolutely no idea what i was supposed to do with the 210 point tankbusta unit....
Was ok against nids tho.

use the trucks, terrain etc, to block LOS to anything apart from what you want to shoot?
use the unit to put pressure on forcing an opponent to shoot them rather than the stuff that can hit hard in assault, or score?

well done to Tom for taking out first place.
+Quote Post
Buddha
post Nov 20 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #29

El Bandito

Member No.: 37

QUOTE(ru486baby @ Nov 20 2011, 08:46 PM) *

.CSM? who says they need a new book.

Haha, well. I guess its a matter of what variety does CSM offer? Seriously, they play only a few list builds, and have limited good choices compared to other codexes.

I think as it was discussed today though, no doubt, CSM can still do reasonably well in a Comp environment, albeit they are a bit boring about it.

QUOTE(Angmar @ Nov 20 2011, 08:47 PM) *

Well done on Tom taking it out, I bet he was happy when he drew the chaos list!. Experience with armies really does make quite the difference!. Even still, i was surprise when Andy lost to Tom with that GK list.

Fun times!

It was interesting.

Was I happy to draw CSMs? Yes and no smile.gif

I felt very comfortable with them, its very simmilar to lists I have run before and its one of the 7 out of the 10 available codexes I had used in the last 18 months, so there was no problem with knowing what to do.

Personally though, I kind of wanted to play an army I had a) not used, or b) an army I had used but with a list completely different to what I own. Interestingly enough, the 4 armies I earmarked as ones I wanted to use were the 4 armies I played!! Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, Space Marines, and Imperial Guard... all had funky units I hadnt used before, and I had never used in 13 years a Grey Knight/Daemonhunters army either.

I think Alun was in the same boat pretty much.

What did the Chaos Space Marines do today?

They got up in peoples grills yo.

3 games I got to go first, against Andy, Alun and Nathan.

Against Andy, he left everything in reserve in mission draw, by turn 2 I had a scoring unit out of LoS on my objective out of reach of his entire army, and then the rest of my force within 24" of his objective, was never going to be pretty for the GK's.

Against Alun, I was able to do a board spread in DoW and push him back off any of the good positions in the multi objectives. Being agressive with units in Rhino's and Personal Icons, I got accurate Oblit placement and overwhelmed him a fair bit.

Against Nathan, once again, the T5 dudes were on top of the Guardsman like a fat kid at a cake eating contest, and they never looked back.

Unit of the tournament: Oblits. They are always solid. Lascannons/Plasma Cannons/Twin Linked Plasma Gun/Twin Linked Meltagun... all were used, all did massive damage!!

Hon. mention goes to the 175 points of win Prince also smile.gif

At the end of the day, there were a few cases of people not being too familiar with there respective armies, but I think only Norm and Owen where about the only 2 players that hadnt played the army they drew in some form or another, or didnt have fairly good knowledge of the lists... was good to see most people getting comfortable with things pretty quickly.

Thanks once again to all my opponents, Owen, Andy, Alun and Nathan, was all what I expected, good games from solid opponents.

Cheers all,

Tom

This post has been edited by Buddha: Nov 20 2011, 10:19 PM
+Quote Post
quin
post Nov 20 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7,087

Well said Tom

In light of your post I might put a similar one up.

I drew the Blood Angels second year in a row, can I make it a hat-trick next year.

I lost 3 games of the 4 games against Alun, Bane, Andy. And I won against norm with the bugs.

When I drew the list I thought I stood a good chance with the all the long range firepower and potential with late game grabs with fast vehicles.

Against Alun, he went first and proceeded too dust up my dev squad and left a single man telion just picking me apart. I had an early KP lead but in the end I could not do anywhere near enough pressure on the termies who eventually won the game.
-turning point was after the early lead I did not want too play the cowards fgame so I pressed too try for a couple more KP's and paid the price. Also my forgetting vanilla marines can choose too run left me wide in the open after a shooting phase, very well played Alun.

Against Bane, draw mission with spear head (come-on seriously what else do you expect?)
I decided the aggressive route trying to beat my way too his objective but in the end way too much firepower for me too contend with his many targets
-turning point was letting the basilisk in turn one devastate my home objective holders.in the end I never hadenough too hold my home regardless anyway.

Against Norm, I own the bugs he used and know them better than I know how too brush my teeth. Norm on the other hand did not know them, it was very easy for me too pick him apart and table him.
-turning point was he bluntly flew his tyrant right in front of at the start of the game out of cover with no support too try and kill a rhino. I promptly nailed the poor guy too too the wall.
-note, even though Norm was getting badly beaten he is still a great guy to play and keeps a good laugh.

Against Andy, I picked the right 5 targets for a KP and deployed well. I failed too slow the rhino's down and could not fend of 11 purifiers with 27 marines. strength 5 bolters, H2H, dread that never misses list goes on.
-turning point was a full assault squad and reclusiach getting the jump on a GK squad and grand master and absolutely fluffing the works.

Unit of the day would easily be the attack bikes, they were fast and able to deliver every game.
Mention to the predator who hung around like a champ and was a nuisance.

I did feel uncomfortable during deployment every game, this list pretty much forced me too put a sang priest with the devastators as he did not have jump pack or able too fit in the rhino.
I am used too using the corner stones of why I chose the blood angels for the last year, assault squads, jumping infantry, fast vehicles particularly the Baal, furioso's, death company etc.
Instead of being able to maneuver and play too codex BA strengths I was stuck with an army that 4 of my units could not move otherwise their weapons were unable to be used and I needed those weapons.

Whirlwind only was effective against tyranids, was a complete waste of my shooting, got minimal effect against guard.
I was left wishing I had just a single priest with a JP in my assault squad, and also having a 2nd assault squad. This priest alone would have given me a unit too do some damage against...well...anything, my H2H was vanilla marine average.

We are not changing the way we do our masters, nor do I fault the idea. another event down another year of experience's too draw upon.

View of the day.
After the first 2 rounds just not having an answer too the hammers my opponents threw at me, I was very disinterested in playing 40k, apologies too Andy for letting some frustration out on some poor dice rolls.
Alun and his lovely wife and kids are great hosts, Lee was great with his rules queries. All in all a great venue and atmosphere, nothing wrong with hearing their children having fun in or out of the pool.

**end rant**

--------------------
I am not a god, BUT, the creator DEVOURER of god's!

2012 - Complete my space vampires in razorbacks

“The winner of the game is the player who makes the next-to-last mistake” (Savielly Tartakover)
+Quote Post
Nzarra
post Nov 21 2011, 05:53 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,875

Pic of the participants at prize giving. For the second year running Andy had to depart before photos (anyone would think he was camera shy) but instead of a stick figure this year, Mr Lego stood in for him.

IPB Image

--------------------
Inner Sanctum

We gonna come. We gonna conquer. We gonna kick some
+Quote Post
difsta
post Nov 21 2011, 09:02 AM
Post #32

The Travelling Mexican

Member No.: 9,216

congrats to tom, scored himself an invite to Aussie Masters, as he was going to get a spot for being in the top 10 that has opened up a spot for me wink.gif

--------------------
Community Comp is alive and kicking. Come visit us over at our Facebook Page or out Community Comp Forum and get involved

My Modelling Diaries
ETC 2016 Australian Team Discussion
+Quote Post
Nzarra
post Nov 21 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,875

My 2c worth.

Was a good day and I think enjoyed by all regardless of luck of the draw. I went into the event with no expectations, I have not played a 40K game since Redemption (start of October) and have not lifted a paint brush for at least 5 weeks. So I was feeling a bit flat on 40k. Now over many years of gaming I have found this happens, I am a cyclic gamer who spends a couple of years focussing on a system and then move to something else. This does't mean I am stopping playing 40K or having getting out of hobby sale - I have learnt in the past that is not the way to go - but it did mean I was feeling a little flat going in.

I was hoping this event would give me a perk up.
I drew space marines, my own models and a list not dissimilar to what I have used. Not really a good start, sure I was familiar with the codex and list but not really what I needed to reinvigorate.

That said 4 good games, 4 great opponents. I was disappointed against Tom in third game as it was starting to get to pointy end and it was one of those games that just started bad and got worse - no fault of Tom's but we have all had those game where every dice role just seems to be digging deeper hole. As a consequence I called it at an early stage and we both had a decent break. As I said to Tom I have played the codex enough to know what it was capable of, hung in while there was still a sniff but happy to call it when that sniff has faded.

I think my quote was "I wish I had drawn a different army, I already know how to loose with this one !"

The other three games were a lot closer. Quin to his credit continued to play aggressively when he had a small KP lead and that meant I got back into it. Chris was a bit distracted during our game, and it may have effected things a bit, although a first shot of game double 6 damage roll of holofalcon sort of set the tone.

Less said about game with Tom the better - lets just say owned and move on.

Game vs Neil started badly for him with a strong good first round of shooting putting him on the back foot. Despite that he clawed his way back in well and the final score was a lot closer than any spectators would have perhaps guessed.

--------------------
Inner Sanctum

We gonna come. We gonna conquer. We gonna kick some
+Quote Post
shatteredsouls
post Nov 21 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3,406

Well I went in without any preconceived ideas for the day and knew it would be a tough day of gaming. I would struggle against all these guys with a familiar army.

I had my fair share of crappy dice rolls and did struggle a bit with the DE codex/army but full marks to all my opponents on their wins.

I had an enjoyable day, 5 challenging games and good company.
+Quote Post
Zidi
post Nov 29 2011, 01:03 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 9,522

QUOTE(shatteredsouls @ Nov 21 2011, 02:27 PM) *

Well I went in without any preconceived ideas for the day and knew it would be a tough day of gaming. I would struggle against all these guys with a familiar army.

I had my fair share of crappy dice rolls and did struggle a bit with the DE codex/army but full marks to all my opponents on their wins.

I had an enjoyable day, 5 challenging games and good company.

Dark eldar are quite hard to use, and in fact the list you were given would of been particulary hard to use. It was a few options away from being a decent list in my eyes.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 08:25 PM