Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Age of Sigmar - Escalation, Getting interest, thoughts, ideas
weissm
post Oct 31 2015, 08:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 5,267

TLDR:
The belowis just a brain dump of why I think escalation format works well for getting into Age of Sigmar. Good opportunity to start off in the game. Take a read of the document, let me know what you think.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yZiFt_I...dit?usp=sharing
Really looking for feedback, and interest at this point.

Hi All,
So of late, I've been thinking about how best to run Age of Sigmar events, or really, how I even want to play Age of Sigmar. At the end of the day, I don't believe Age of Sigmar is most enjoyable out of the box, nor do I think it's probably enjoyable anywhere near the 100 models that GW suggests. I think it's best in a very narrative environment which induces scenario play.

I also think it's an excellent opportunity since Age of Sigmar scales down pretty well, to start off small and grow armies larger. Especially since the game plays a bit nicer on rounds, and models do tend to look pretty good on rounds, it's a great opportunity for people who want to transition one of their existing forces to rounds, or make a new force for Age of Sigmar.

So I've written up a small document on how I think it should be run. It builds off the Pool Points system used by Clash of Kings in the UK, which at the moment seems to be the front runner for competitive Age of Sigmar tournament play.
Note that while I am suggesting to use the Pool Points from Clash of Kings, I have changed the General Rule changes to be more flexible and allow for more creativity in lists. This will of course, mean that there is the potential for more unbalanced forces since there are looser limitations on the game, but it is supposed to be a more fluffy slow-grow campaign rather than a tournament.

For this matter, I think it's also important in Age of Sigmar, not just to reward game play, but also the hobby skills as well. So I'm roughing out some ideas for Glory Points. Ideally this will reward both painting, fluff, blogs, and of course gaming. I've always loved the idea of Tale of 4 Gamers, and that kinda thing is what I'm after here.

Q & A:
1. When will this be run?
If there's enough interest (Probably want 4+ players), probably next year when the club re-opens unless people want to kick off earlier and play elsewhere. Gives a bit of time to get forces painted as well.

2. How long will it go for?
Until people get bored, or we reach a level we enjoy playing. I've created points numbers for forces for up to 4 months. Probably month 6 would end up reaching full Clash of Kings points (20 deployed, 30 total force). We might decide that maybe after 2 or 3 months, that's a really enjoyable level and people don't really want to go beyond that, who knows. We'll see how it goes.

3. Why choose Clash Comp and another Comp system like AzyrComp that already has an inbuilt mechanism for a fluffier, escalating game?
I chose Clash Comp because it is the front runner in the tournament scene at the moment for Age of Sigmar. Additionally, AzyrComp is more like previous Warhammer where you write a list and that's it, while I think the idea of having a total force you can choose from allows a bit more flexibility in the deployment game and stays a bit truer to Age of Sigmar in this respect. Both have Pros and Cons, and if people would really prefer AzyrComp or some other balancing system, then I'm all ears and willing to take feedback.

4. Why have you dropped balancing things such as summoning, ranged and unit size restrictions?
Summoning because I like the idea of being able to summon your reserve forces, and I think the existing Clash mechanism is a balancing act, and not really a 'fluffy' way of doing things. I have put a restriction on it to so it's not completely out of whack.
The ranged restriction has been mentioned previously that it may not be necessary as long as things are pointed correctly. In a 30 deployed game, you can take at most 40 models with ranged attacks. So does that mean in Month 1, by proportions you can only take 8 models (or round to 10)? It's possibly a tough restriction on armies such as Wood Elves where there core models are shooters.
Unit size restrictions dropped for simplicity, and totally unsure how things will be at lower point levels.
I think we'll see how it goes with looser restrictions, hopefully people won't make lop-sided builds such as all ranged or deathstar builds. Basically using the points system as a rough guage of balance rather than trying to make a fully balanced game.

5. Will there be scenarios?
Intend is to write some scenarios (especially for the smaller points), and probably use scenarios from elsewhere as well. Realistically, it'll probably be left up to you guys to decide what scenario you want to run. You could potentially link back to back games as well - maybe the loser of the first game wants to play a rescue scenario as one of their warband members has been captured. Basically will try and have some stuff available, but not going to be any restrictions in this matter.

6. Will this campaign take place in any particular time/place/age?
My initial thoughts were to run this during the Age of Chaos, but I think the current Age is fine as well. If people want a true narrative, we can get our heads together and decide on a particular age, or particular mortal realm, etc and may introduce fluffy rules to be in effect.

7. Do I need to build a new force to take part?
No, of course not. If you want to use your existing force as is, no worries! Just understand that some people will, and there'll be the restrictions on allowed forces each month.

This post has been edited by weissm: Oct 31 2015, 08:58 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 4 2015, 08:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 504

Its great to have more people getting involved with running games / campaigns / eventgs at Southern War Gamers.
Perhaps one thing to think about is how often the games need to be played. If it is all in fully then games weekly or perhaps a minimim of one game per fortnight because a alot of players at the club play multiple systems or even play as many games as you like withiin the month / fortnight or what ever but the best (?) number of games count towards ones results.

Posted link on Face Book Group Southern War Gamers to this thread

Also disucssion needed re running AoS or 8th Ed WHF Tourneys for 2016 - I am putting the 2016 event program together at the moment and need to hear from anyone interetsed in taking on running the event (game play) - I will look after the logistics so any TO will only have to worry about the actual games and handing out the prizes
+Quote Post
weissm
post Nov 4 2015, 01:23 PM
Post #3

My general thoughts are:

I'd like to at least have a campaign day each month. To me, the best times I have wargaming are when a group of people get together, and are all playing the same game around the same time. Just makes the atmosphere much more fun. I think it's why the Friday night sessions went well for so long, is because we were all in there having a good time playing Warhammer.
When games end up being played in dribs and drabs, at different times, different locations, while it's still fun, it doesn't have the same kind of atmosphere.

So perhaps these campaign days would have bigger rewards, but otherwise people are free to play whenever they want throughout the month.

I don't think I really want to enforce going to that day to participate, nor even how regularly games need to be played. I'd rather this is a more relaxed affair than a typical campaign. I don't expect I'll be able to make it down more than once or twice a month.

Whether or not there's an end winner, and how that's calculated and figured out to me is really a secondary objective. I see this more as a Tale of Gamers rather than a typical campaign. But as mentioned, happy to run with what people want. If a fully fledged campaign will get more people involved, happy to do that.
Painting and playing to me is a cycle, the more you play, the more you want to paint. The more you paint, the more you want to play. You just need to enter the cycle to get started. So to me, the campaign is a way to get into that cycle.

As for running events. I don't know how the Fantasy scene will turn out over the next year. It seems like Kings of War is picking up at the other clubs. I doubt there'll be too much 8th (or perhaps even 9th Age) played in SA, we've tended to have a smaller Fantasy scene overall.
If this campaign takes off, then perhaps it leads into an Age of Sigmar event around mid-year (Around when Southern Impact generally takes place I guess).

This post has been edited by weissm: Nov 4 2015, 01:38 PM
+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 6 2015, 08:18 AM
Post #4

Sounds good - in the broader scheme of things I am also having a look at Kings of War as an option but an AoS campaign would be great. If it picks up then the club can invest in some AoS scenery pieces.

It might even encouarge a few of the old fantasy players around the club to give it a go.

So we could perhaps schedule at least one regular Sunday per month for the AoS campaign for 'the gathering' but encourage people to play as frequently as they would like in order to contribute to the campaign and overall fluff.

The third Sunday of the month is usually set aside for tournaments but there is always space for other players to come along and play something different.

Which Sunday(s) (1st, 2nd or 4th) of the month would you like to start with? If that Sunday doesn't happen (ie easter) then we can move to it a different Sunday for that month.

Cheers Mike
+Quote Post
weissm
post Nov 8 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #5

I think the Second Sunday of the month is probably fine. I wouldn't want to double up on the tournament weekend in case players want to play in those tournaments.
+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 8 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #6

Sounds Good - more than welcome to do more than one Sunday per month but one might make a good minimum so players can play other systems as well - so all we need to do is round up the players and get it happening from the beginning of February - would be keen to catch up to chat on how you would like to run it, perhapps even over a game - I haven't got into AoS yet - still sorting out my Bretonnians
+Quote Post
weissm
post Nov 17 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #7

So last Sunday we played some games down at the club. Was lucky enough to face off against both Brettonians and Stormcast Eternals with my Seraphon.
We decided to just pick 10 points worth of stuff and use that as our lists rather than going with the regular rules I set forth in the campaign pack since I was playing Raven in his first game of Age of Sigmar. I just took a hodge podge of whatever I wanted really. Hadn't used my Saurus Cav, use them. Like my Temple Guard, get them on the field, etc.
So in the end I took a Scar-Veteran on Cold One, Skink Priest with Priestly Trappings, Skink Chief with Ornate Club, 10 Temple Guard, 10 Skinks, 5 Saurus Cavalry and a Stegadon with Sunfire Throwers.

The story of the first battle is that the Brettonians were coming to the aid of a small Free Peopls village which was beset by a Seraphon force. The Brettonians unfortunately were overcome by the savagery of the Seraphon, managed to destroy the Skinks and at the end take down the mighty Stegadon, but to no avail as the village was lost to the Brettonians.
IPB Image
The Seraphon fighting the Brettonians as they make their last stand

The second battle had the Stormcast Eternals arrive at the same village, wondering why their once allies the Seraphon were attacking a Free Peoples village. The Seraphon quickly converged on the Stormcasts, dispatching the Liberators with ease, lightning strikes returning them to the heavens. The Stormcast hit back with fierce retribution, as the Retributors cleaved through the Seraphon forces utterly destroying them.
IPB Image
The Seraphon march forwards towards the Stormcast Eternals
IPB Image
The Seraphon dispatch the Liberators, while the Skinks harass the Prosecutors. But the mighty Retributors are looming nearby

So some interesting games played. It's a good experience for me (I don't have much experience with AoS even though I'm running this thing). What I found was, even at 10 points, armies weren't really as large as I thought they'd be. We were literally running around with about 30 models and only about 4-5 units each. I felt the game size was pretty good at this level, although something you'd certainly make a bit larger.

So it makes me have some concerns about the fact that Month 1, starts at 6 points (with Month 2 escalating to 8). I threw together a bunch of lists for 6 point armies, and it basically boiled down to a hero and a bunch of small units. I guess actually those small 6 point armies I threw together generally had as many models as the 10 point game, it's just less flexible because of the small points in how many heroes and monsters you can really throw in.

I think I need to test things out, and see how games play at the 6 and 8 point level for Month 1 and 2. The current thought is you only need to paint 1 or 2 new things each month to progress, but perhaps the starting level is too inflexible in armies that are deployed (even though it's a good starting point for people want to paint and build new armies). Especially at this level, if you put in anything with half points, you really need to look at another half point thing to kind of top things off (i.e something costs 1.5 points, you look for a half point or another 1.5 point thing to put into your list).

I'm perhaps thinking that the starting point should be a bit higher (even though the idea is to start a new army) so that lists can have a bit of flexibility in it, or perhaps the points should escalate faster (Say 7-10-15-20). Not sure yet, will have to play some more games to figure out what feels right.
+Quote Post
Raven
post Nov 23 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #8

An enjoyable game for my first AoS sortie even though those lizzard guys were about to carry off my Enchantress after killing the rest of my crusaiding Brettonians.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2019 - 02:58 AM