8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The League of Legrandia, Quasi army blog of my humanoid army
N.I.C.K
post Jun 29 2016, 09:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 5,981

Tournaments are the best goals for getting hobby projects done. Period. Now my foray in to Malifaux with the rest of the Infernal Muppets creates a bit of a distraction here, but thankfully the model count their is low so it won't take up too much hobby time. For those who follow me on twitter or are a part of the KoW Australia facebook page, you'll know that I've started up a human army which I've called the League of Legrandia (see what I did there), although it speaks to the League as being the primary army, the idea is to have it as a KoM/League/Basilean army.

At this point I have a few things painted (multi-basing for sho):
Regiment of Elohi
2 x Troops/1 x Regiment of Knights
2 x Regiments/ 1 x Horde of Spears
Troop of halfling archers

What I will DEFINITELY have in my army, whether I go KoM or League (Basileans will need a few more unique figures for me to get there) will be an allied contingent of a Regiment of Elohi and Horde of Elohi.

But da flyerz is nerfed with the CoK packz!

Reason being is the models are just so kicka$$; I'm using the GW Retributor angel dudes from the AoS Sigmarines.

So we immediately have 25% of the army done at 495pts for the allied contingent. Boom.

What I need to do now is start putting together list ideas to give myself a painting target so I can focus my hobby efforts on the right units. I have a whole bunch more Empire minis that can be used as generic swordsmen, halberds, spears, rifles and knights. Now the question becomes KoM or League?

I think the best way to continue to plug away as I work towards the finished product is to pick stuff which I know I'm likely to include in either army and go from there (eg. 2 x troops of halberds to be used as either Polearms or City Militia).

List ideas welcome! I encourage anyone else putting together an army for Castle Assault or any other tourney to post a thread here on WAU.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by N.I.C.K: Dec 7 2016, 08:10 AM

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jun 29 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,893

I've seen the pics of the units painted so far and am really liking the look of the army (very jelly). My favourite unit so far however is the hobbits. It was an inspired choice using those models and they look like they will work perfectly alongside regular human sized 28mm models.

Its probably not the OP or optimal choice of unit to paint, but I'm more about the look of armies, I'd really like to see more hobbits! More archers and scouts (Stealthy archers, sweet!) and spearlings too. The GW Warriors of Erebor would make perfect spearlings and braves.

But whatever you decide to paint I'm sure it will be great looking!
+Quote Post
Wedgetail
post Jun 30 2016, 09:03 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,048

If you have a search through the blog in my signature you'll find a post or two I've written up on my experience running WHFB Empire models as KoM and League. At this stage I prefer League, the Duke on an Ancient Winged Aralez is just flat-out better than a General on a Winged Beast, although with your elohi allies I'm not sure you'd be running either a flying Duke or General. The Halfling Iron Beast is a great anvil, and is about the only Def6 unit either army can run.

KoM do have access to far superior mounted scouts, and KoM heavy pike can be very intimidating and difficult to deal with if your meta has a lot of TC. The KoM wizard also comes with the option of swapping fireball (6) for Lightning Bolt (3), whereas the League Wizard has to pay extra for that.

KoM can take muskets in a horde, League can only take them in troops or regiments.

KoM has access to The Captain, who can really help you win the deployment phase. Just check if you can use his redeploy ability on allies though. If you can't that would make him significantly weaker. If he can, I would suggest dropping your Horde of Elohi down first as a maybe dummy drop that your opponent has to deploy around.

Anyway, it really is six of one. If you're not planning on running the Captain, pikes, rifle hordes, or mounted scouts go League. If you are, go KoM.

--------------------
Wedgetail on Wargaming - battle & tournament reports
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jun 30 2016, 09:28 AM
Post #4

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes my favourite unit so far (besides the Elohi) are the Halfling archers as well! I actually have models to make halfling braves too, which I think for 130pts for a horde is a solid choice for an inexpensive anvil. Compared to the shield wall you have -1 to Sp, Me and Ne but gain stealthy for 35pts less. I definitely rate them over the spears as well, I just don't see the point of the spears if they are Def 3 even if they do negate TC.

I'll have a look at what models I have available to use and do up some lists. I have to say though The Captain + Scrying Gem appeals to the ex-WFB movement shenanigans lover in me.

--------------------

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jun 30 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #5

Ok so first list I've done up is KoM. I'm trying to mostly use models which I have ready to paint up. I think the list has decent balance overall, it has some hammers in the Elohi, Knights and Berserkers, anvils in the Shield Wall and some shooty support elements as well. 14 drops + The Captain + Scrying Gem gets my deployment shenans juices going!

Hordes:
Shield Wall
Shield Wall

Regiments:
Bersekers
Knights, Potion of the Caterpiller

Troops:
Arquebusiers
Mounted Scouts, Carbines
Mounted Scouts, Carbines

Heroes/WM:
Siege Artillery
Army Standard, Scrying Gem
The Captain, Mounted
Wizard, Swap for LB, Bane Chant, Inspiring
Wizard, Swap for LB, Bane Chant

Basilean Allies;
Horde of Elohi
Regiment of Elohi

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wedgetail
post Jun 30 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #6

this is a good list. Scouts are awesome, I like Shield Wall hordes as anvils (they are not as scary as heavy pike, so enemies actually charge them, which is what you want).

--------------------
+Quote Post
marius
post Jun 30 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 169

Interesting list, a bit of everything and looks nice and flexible. Not using a big flyer is interesting as is the single war machine.

I remember seeing Locky experimenting with the Captain and Scrying Gem, keen to see how that goes.
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jun 30 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(marius @ Jun 30 2016, 02:01 PM) *

Interesting list, a bit of everything and looks nice and flexible. Not using a big flyer is interesting as is the single war machine.

I remember seeing Locky experimenting with the Captain and Scrying Gem, keen to see how that goes.

I may not have a "big" flyer Dave but I do have two units of them wink.gif Yea the single warmachine in and of itself obviously isn't intimidating, but combined with the 2 x scout troops, rifles and 6 LB it should be able to chip in where needed from the back of the board and combined with other units. Means I have a little something if I need to sit back but I'm not committing my game plan to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marius
post Jun 30 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #9

I know, but the regiment foot print is a lot harder to use than the 50mm base and they aren't packing lightning or a breath weapon and def 6!

As I said an interesting list, and one I like the look of. The Very Inspiring is a little under rated but should be great.
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jun 30 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(marius @ Jun 30 2016, 03:11 PM) *

I know, but the regiment foot print is a lot harder to use than the 50mm base and they aren't packing lightning or a breath weapon and def 6!

As I said an interesting list, and one I like the look of. The Very Inspiring is a little under rated but should be great.

Unfortunately the KoM "big" flyer is a little bit underwhelming compared to the really big beasties.............6A at CS2, Ne 14/16. I'm really keen to try out the captain + scrying gem. I haven't seen the wording yet on the Captain's ability to figure out whether it can be used on the Elohi or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Jun 30 2016, 03:26 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 306

Hey Nick.
I know very little about KoM. One question for me is always can you stop a big flyer - not sure you have the tools as Dave implied. But your right, shield wall is cheap and good for a horde. I really like the mounted scouts with carbines - I've never seen them fielded either and I'm not sure why - they look tops as well.
I like the double bane chant wizard setup. But I'd love to see just one more piece of artillery.

What I have seen is multiple Beasts of war with the shooting option - expensive but very hard to take down. I'm not convinced that they wouldn't be better than your flyer allies.

I'm not convinced the deployment and Captain option is worth the points - sometimes it probably is, but I'm not sure that against an experienced player, or an army that's more defensive or usually deploys in a certain way that it will be really give you that much of an advantage for its points. That said - I like the very inspiring coverage.

Question - why don't people take a horde of Arqbuisers with the +1 to hit banner? that unit looks freakin awesome.

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jun 30 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Stallandor @ Jun 30 2016, 03:26 PM) *

Hey Nick.
I know very little about KoM. One question for me is always can you stop a big flyer - not sure you have the tools as Dave implied. But your right, shield wall is cheap and good for a horde. I really like the mounted scouts with carbines - I've never seen them fielded either and I'm not sure why - they look tops as well.
I like the double bane chant wizard setup. But I'd love to see just one more piece of artillery.

What I have seen is multiple Beasts of war with the shooting option - expensive but very hard to take down. I'm not convinced that they wouldn't be better than your flyer allies.

I'm not convinced the deployment and Captain option is worth the points - sometimes it probably is, but I'm not sure that against an experienced player, or an army that's more defensive or usually deploys in a certain way that it will be really give you that much of an advantage for its points. That said - I like the very inspiring coverage.

Question - why don't people take a horde of Arqbuisers with the +1 to hit banner? that unit looks freakin awesome.

Yes that always is the question! I think it's less of an issue now than it used to be if using the CoK rulepack because at least you can tie the big boy down and he doesn't just run rampant across your whole army jumping from combat to combat. I feel I have some options in my two units of flyers and the fact that all my shooting is piercing. In saying that though I could drop the static arquebusiers shooting to fit in another siege artillery as I have the slots for it......

Yes the movement shenans is a bit expensive, I'll see how I go but ultimately if I decide it isn't worth it I then have 200pts freed up in the mounted captain + scrying gem.

These are definitely on the radar, however they are VERY expensive at 270pts for something which can't move and shoot with only 24" range. This is what put the Ogre shooters with +1 to hit in a league of their own, the 36" range covered one of the biggest shortcoming of the unit.

This post has been edited by N.I.C.K: Jun 30 2016, 04:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wedgetail
post Jun 30 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Stallandor @ Jun 30 2016, 03:26 PM) *

I used to, and if they are left alone they are indeed awesome. But they are far too easy to either avoid or disrupt. Some games I'd get off a single round of shooting before my opponent's flying/mounted individuals got into them. I now run 3-4 troops of rifles and I find that gets me better results.

--------------------
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jul 3 2016, 08:53 AM
Post #14

Updated with pics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marius
post Jul 4 2016, 09:14 AM
Post #15

Those Elohi look far better than I was expecting, and fit in quite well.

Everything looking good so far.
+Quote Post
Red Dragon
post Jul 6 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 429

QUOTE(N.I.C.K @ Jul 3 2016, 08:53 AM) *

Updated with pics.

Are your bases just squares of MDF?

--------------------
QUOTE(Zordana @ Oct 25 2011, 11:40 PM) *

Omg you nerd.

[quote name='GT' post='2031419' date='Jun 15 2012, 09:24 PM']
Red still looks awesome.

[color=#336666]"He knows a lot about Doctor Who"
+Quote Post
slayerofmen
post Jul 6 2016, 02:19 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,468

They need not be anything else and its a common thing to do

--------------------
rojo:

I always thought the Corpse Carts were part of the Von Carsteins commitment to the Imperial Tidy Towns initiative and Keep Sylvannia Beautiful programs. A sort of anti-littering crew for body parts...
+Quote Post
Red Dragon
post Jul 7 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 429

Yeah. I was just trying to work out what to do on the cheap as I have 8 or so armies to base.

--------------------
QUOTE(Zordana @ Oct 25 2011, 11:40 PM) *

Omg you nerd.

[quote name='GT' post='2031419' date='Jun 15 2012, 09:24 PM']
Red still looks awesome.

[color=#336666]"He knows a lot about Doctor Who"
+Quote Post
slayerofmen
post Jul 7 2016, 08:53 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,468

If you have a circular saw or bench saw you could even make your own 6 dollars for a sheet

--------------------
rojo:

I always thought the Corpse Carts were part of the Von Carsteins commitment to the Imperial Tidy Towns initiative and Keep Sylvannia Beautiful programs. A sort of anti-littering crew for body parts...
+Quote Post
Wedgetail
post Jul 7 2016, 09:01 AM
Post #20

a stanley knife and a steel ruler works for 3mm MDF too.

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2020 - 11:30 AM