5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My faction wandering KoW blog, modelling and list building
fizgig
post Jan 10 2018, 12:26 AM
Post #81

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 789

Thanks guys. This army has been a real labour of love and trying out some new things. Really happy that it seems to have come together quite well and pretty much as I envisaged.

Well, in less than 2 weeks I've managed to finish my 2000 pt alien night-stalker army. Thats a real record for me. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
There are a few options for some add ons, but the core army is now done and I'm keen to give it a spin soon!

The big boys:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Entire army shot:

IPB Image

--------------------

Argus Spam: Works half the time, all the time...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HaggisMacbeth
post Jan 10 2018, 06:13 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 12,893

Looking awesome and scary!
+Quote Post
fizgig
post Jan 18 2018, 08:46 AM
Post #83

Got a good game in against Mike and his abyssals last night.

We played loot and ended up on one side of the table mostly.
Games swung both ways in the middle turns but then a Archfiend got into my back lines and I just couldn't manage to stop its murderous rampage as it chewed through a unit a turn. Combined with a rampant Basusu and some gargoyles flitting about, my army fell apart in the last 2 turns. I did manage to kill quite a lot of stuff though, so not a complete wipeout.

IPB Image

Lessons learned:
I need something to intercept solo flyers. Probably going to have to turn the Horror into a shade.

Mind screeches... not sure about them, hard to get an unobstructed shot off and their nerve is quite low now. I think I'd rather upgrade them to Void Lurkers.

Fiends - not quite as scary as they seem.

Reapers - these guys can smash face! Especially if they get a flank! Mike made a rare mistake (perhaps distracted by the horror of what he saw before him) and lost his morloch horde in short order to a single reaper regiment

Stealth - helps get the army up the table.

Chaff - I need more of it. The needle fangs are good chaff and I probably need to split into several troops.

Terror - really cool and smashy, but I might need to downgrade to a shadow Hulk to save points for other things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fizgig
post Feb 27 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #84

Almost finished with building this army now.
Possibly only 2 more models to get (to represent shades), and I should have enough for 2500-3000 points

So far:
IPB Image

I wanted to use chest-bursters as the bloodworm models, but no one makes models for chest-bursters (at least not in anything near 28mm). I started trying to convert some tyranid ripper swarms, but the conversion work is difficult and I'd need to do it to so many models that I've shelved that idea. Found some alien eggs from somewhere on the net so these will work for either Blood worms or scarecrows, depending on the list:

IPB Image

Portal of despair (using spare arms/heads/tails of alien warriors):

IPB Image

Have swapped the models for fiends and butchers around because I like the alien warriors with more dynamic poses for fiends:

IPB Image

Butchers and reapers up front:
IPB Image

Will need to sculpt some more terrain for the needle fangs, now that I've moved them to regiment sized bases, but currently out of sculpting clay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fizgig
post Feb 27 2018, 03:15 PM
Post #85

Played Mike last night with this list:

2 x Butcher Horde (butcher's block formation)
2 x reaper regiment
1 fiends horde
1 bloodworm legion (w/ hammer of measured force)
1 shadow hulk (butchers block formation)
2 void lurkers
*2100 points. Practise for the next mikecon event.

Mike had his mixed brotherhood.
2 trebuchets
2 'cheat' knight regiments
1 pegasus rider horde(?)
1 spearman horde
1 archer horde w/ piercing
2 giants with breath
2 annoying guys on horses.
2 plowshears (? chaff guys) regiments

Played the 6 zone control mission.

So his shooting wasn't very effective against the stealth, except for his catapults, that needed 6's and repeatedly got them! ohmy.gif

Lots of stuff happened and was a good game, although Mike will claim he was getting diced tongue.gif I threw away a void lurker a bit prematurely, but managed to contain the knight threat for the first 3 turns with appropriately place fiends and void lurker+shadow hulk threatening dire retaliation.

The bloodworms did really well, soaking up punishment and then almost fully regenerating with lifeleech by the end of the game. The reapers did what they do best, murder things, with the butchers soaking up insane amounts of damage and not breaking at critical junctures.
I managed to focus on the mission more than I usually do and pushed the bloodworms into the center opposite side, to claim the 2 point zone. Came down to a turn 6 win (3-1) for me if the game finished, otherwise guaranteed loss (4-3) if the game went to turn 7.
the game went to turn 7 sad.gif

With scenario play in mind, I'm thinking of a alternative list that has moar units!

2 x scarecrow legion
2 x butcher horde
2 x reaper regiment
2 x fiends horde (one with catepillar potion)
1 shadow hulk
2 horrors with bane chant.
Butchers block and grim harvest formations

should be fun it think

--------------------

+Quote Post
marius
post Feb 27 2018, 03:15 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 169

looking good
+Quote Post
mikecro
post Feb 28 2018, 07:46 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 2,103

Such an awesome army, definitely looks even better in real life!

Thanks again for the game, was very tight! I don't think I was diced at all. You probably had the better rub of the green at some key points but to be honest you had your eye on the scenario all game and I didn't, so would have deserved the win if we hadn't gone to turn 7 smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 1 2017, 11:19 AM) *
Victoria has its MikeCro. All hail Mikecro, MikeCon, and the the state of Mikecronesia

Vagabonds Club
+Quote Post
fizgig
post Mar 31 2018, 12:05 PM
Post #88

Monthly update time:

Ran with the double void lurker list at Mikecon XII. Wasn't expecting much, just wanted to have some fun with my aliens. Tournament ran on the balckjack scoring system.

First Game was against the Herd and secario was loot(?) (3 tokens along centre line).

From memory, the Herd list had a 4 beast pack regiments and blockers, a totem, 2 stampedes (one with brew of sharpness), a chariot horde, 2 flying chimeras, werewolves and some support pieces.

Was a brutal game, but I managed to weather some initial charges and hit back hard. The butchers were great at absorbing a solid hit without breaking and therefore setting up a multi retaliation. I kept my reapers as a second line retaliation unit and boy do these guys hit hard.
One of my void lurkers got double teamed by the chimeras and eventually lost. the other helped deal with the scrum in the middle. The bloodworms were a very solid blocker and with a little help would grind their way through other units.
Last tunr of the game came to a scramble for loot tokens. Unfortunately I lost out on manoeuvrability and even though I was well on top of the attrition game at that point, fast units took the loot tokens and I could not retaliate in time. Lost 2-1 on VPs, but was up about 650 pts on attrition. So got a +1 on the blackjack score adjustment for a 6 point loss.

Second game was also against a herd list, but this one was a bit different and had more troops and less stampedes. Cant remember the exact list though, but had a few units of infantry, one stampede, one flying chimera, one winged hero/monster and some other assorted units and support. The mission was overrun (get dudes to other half of the board)
In this one I managed to engage the frontline while catching the flying hero/monster guy just behind the lien on an unexpected angle with void lurker and then next turn double teamed him with the other void lurker and killed him, this then set the two void lurkers up to start flanking the main battle line. The bloodworms did a great job absorbing charges and then grinding on through and the butchers were again excellent punishment absorbers, with the reapers cleaning up behind them. By then end I was up on attrition again by around 600-700 points and managed to put a bunch more units over the centre line than my opponent. got a 17 point win.

Third game was against undead for a change. Something like: Dragon, balefire catapults, zombie horde, skeleton archer horde, revenant horde, wraiths, undead warewolves and a couple of heros with surge.
Mission was the one where two terrain pieces are the objectives to hold.
Since I was finally facing an army with some shooting, I deployed all the non-stealthed monsters (shadow hulk, void lurkers) behind cover or obstacles to start with.
Again in this game, the butches shone by absorbing some solid charges but not breaking. This allowed me to gang up on the werewolves and then the dragon to secure one flank. on the other flank had to deal with annoying wraiths who eventually got a flank charge only to suffer a double 1 nerve roll and ten die to the counter. In fact my opponent had some pretty rotten luck at critical juncture (including a flank surge that stopped 1 inch short and catapults that never hit all game ), which lead to a cascade of routed units on his side and what could have been a clean sweep had I pursued it. I didn't however because the balckjack system rewards VP domination much more and I needed units around the objectives on the last turn. So after final rush to the objectives it was 13 Vps to 3 and a 800 odd pt attrition advantage for a 20 point win.

The tournament ended here and to my surprise I ended up on 2nd place. I'm kinda glad I didn't have to play another round as It would have been against Mike and i'm still yet to win against him.

General thoughts on the list and nightstalkers:
Butchers are great front line anvils, but they can also hit back. Reapers are awesome and kill anything they contact. Bloodworm legion is pure gold. Shadow hulk didn't feature to strongly, but was important when it did. Its a -/20 Nerve blocker and solid combat monster. i mostly kept it in forests to give it cover and take advantage of strider. Void lurker are great, as you would expect from regenerating dragons. Fiends are ok, but mainly for their threat projection. I really like not having to worry about inspiring.
Summary - I really like this army biggrin.gif

In other news I've finally gotten back to working through the rest of my trident realms.

Release the Kraken!!
IPB Image
IPB Image

Took me a long time to decide on colours for this guy. Wanted to transition from blues to the translucent grey of squid tentacles. Not sure I really nailed what I was after but happy enough with the final look. Going to finish up my wyrmriders next and hopefully get some games in with them soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stallandor
post Apr 2 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 306

That dude looks awesome.

And congrats on the 2nd place!

--------------------
Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.

Check out the Australian Kings of War Rankings - http://oz-kow-rankings.appspot.com/region=2&game=5
+Quote Post
fizgig
post Apr 2 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #90

And the Wyrmriders + Wyrmrider centurion are finally finished. eager to try out the wyrmriders now.

IPB Image

I'm now running low on new figures in trident that I need to paint. Trident king is one, but otherwise it'll be mainly expanding on current units. I've ordered some new Thuul after the cok2018 errata. I'm hoping to use the thuul formation because spd7 stealthy thuul will be solid.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th July 2020 - 01:30 PM