Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking at starting, How many points, how big units?
Kn'Thrak
post Oct 20 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 1,930

Hey all,

I stopped playing fantasy after storm of chaos (think that was late 5th?) and always 'meant' to get back into it, but the sheer volume of mini's kept turning me off painting, and the way the game was going meant I heard you needed more and more for each edition.

Total War has turned things back around for me, and i'm going back over my old dark elves and touching them up in order to play again. So - on with the questions:

1. Do twilight kin look like going the way of the chaos dwarfs? I see that they were meant to be 'soon' when kow 2 was released and still haven't been released properly.

2. How important is it to have big units? Back when I played the biggest units I built to were 20's, and only a couple of those, so I don't have the models to field multiple hordes.

3. How fiddly does it get? The rules pdf makes it appear to be a simplified whfb (no measuring wheels and re-forms etc), but i'm sure there's stuff I haven't picked up on.

--------------------
Please note, I can't receive PM's

I wish people would stop blaspheming comparing Lemmy Kilmister to God. He might be a decent chap, but he certainly isn't Lemmy.

QUOTE(jimjimjimmyjim @ Jun 20 2014, 06:31 PM) *

I'm really a bit clueless tho

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mango
post Oct 21 2017, 12:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 84

1 - Twilight Kin have been waiting awhile for a bit of attention, I seriously doubt they will dissappear. I did read somewhere a suggestion that they might be somehow aligned with Night Stalkers. I can only suggest looking through the mantic forums for more info

2 - depends on how many points you play. regiments are the 'standard' formation but some units are often played as hordes. Remember though that you dont need to have 40 elves to make a horde as you can multibase. the minimum reccomended models is the next smallest size formation + 1. SO a horde (40) could be represented by 21 (regiment size 20 +1) models with filler.

3 - there are angles to the game to determine front/side/rear charges etc but premeasuring and angle tools help ensure you know what will happen without guessing. There are always going to be rules that are applied abstractly like if any part of the units base moves over terrain during a charge then the charge is considered hindered. I wouldnt call them fiddly though.

Depinately give koW a go. i tried to play WFB around 4th/5th and lost the will to live with the amount of rules and special rules for every army but after dipping the toe into koW a couple of years ago I am really enjoying a simple but elegant ruleset allowing me to bash fantasy heads with large armies in a very reasonable time frame.
+Quote Post
mikecro
post Oct 21 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,103

Hey mate. Shoot me your email address (assume you can send PMs?) and will send some info and can set up some games smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Stallandor @ Feb 1 2017, 11:19 AM) *
Victoria has its MikeCro. All hail Mikecro, MikeCon, and the the state of Mikecronesia

Vagabonds Club
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 03:36 PM