Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017 Mango's Asst Painting - Update 31/12, GOAL REACHED!!!
Mango
post Jan 8 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 84

I am starting this thread to list what I get painted this year to give me a comparison on how I am going month to month and to look back at Xmas time and see the hundreds (hopefully) of models I have completed through the year.

Currently I am interested in 40k 2nd Edition so I am painting some Ork stuff with that in mind but also painting occasionally for KoW, Frostgrave, board games and other assorted projects to mix it up a little

Pics will be in individual posts and a tally of accomplishments will be kept here

January Completed (27 models + 13 terrain pieces)
8 Trees Based
5 Hedges Based
2 Warbikes converted and painted
10 Myth Orcs
4 Zombicide fatties
4 Zombicide runners
2 Mars attacks characters
1 Hellion
4 Dreadball Extreme characters

Feburary Completed (10 models)
3 Characters
7 Goblins

March/April/May/June Completed (14 models + 5 terrain pieces)
1 Troll
9 Space Marine Scouts
3 Brick Ruins Terrain
2 Pipe Terrain
4 Lobbers

July Completed (16 models)
4 Female Survivors
2 Spiders
Leon
5 Gretchin crew
1 Warboss - not fully painted, just tidied up and rebased
2 Bombs Squigs
1 Kustom Mega Kannon

August Completed (5 models)
5 Gretchin crew

Sept - Nuthin

October Completed (9 models)
3 Warp Beasts/Maw beasts
6 Battletech mechs

November (13 models)
7 Skeleton Archers
4 Armoured Skeletons
2 Chaos Warriors

December (7 models)
7 Skeleton Archers
3 Gaslands vehicles
1 Bloodletter

Total 105 models + 18 terrain pieces!

This post has been edited by Mango: Dec 31 2017, 07:45 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jan 8 2017, 12:35 PM
Post #2

OK

In Dec i picked up some Ork choppers on the cheap and i remembered a conversion blog about changing them to buggies, so i ordered some lego and began converting.

I did a few things differently to the blog including keeping most of the overhead structure to mount an autocannon on and I also did placed the wheels slightly differently so I didnt have to green stuff them.

I painted these 2 as Red Rat squadron with Red Leeda and Red Too. The next 2 will be blue squadron. I am doing them in squadrons of 2 to use in 2nd ed 40k.

Overall I am pretty happy with them, the missiles at the front I am a bit iffy on how to paint them but they are what they are smile.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image

I bought some terrain awhile ago that came with some trees on 40mm bases, and for a quick project I based them and at the same time i based some hedges i made a long time go.
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Mango: Jul 21 2017, 05:20 PM
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 8 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #3

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Nice work!

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jan 8 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 446

They look cool.

Next buggies >> cut the rokits off and make them into tank hammers... smile.gif.
Ork players really want tank hammers now (MC killers).

One thing I did with nob bikers (from deffcoptas) was cut off the rokits (for other uses) along the bottom of the front bulkhead guard thing. Then added half a wheel with some gubbins (Tau discs/ tank hatches/etc) as rim protectors. It also means you can use half a wheel for the front wheel (trike style) if you start running short of wheels.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jan 8 2017, 12:45 PM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jan 14 2017, 02:46 PM
Post #5

BHR - yeah I can see how a hard plastic wheel could easily fit under the cowling, might have to try that one.

Since I last posted i have....
- based 4 more trees
- painted 10 Myth orcs for no particular reason but painting the bikers has given me confidence to paint orc skin (which i have lacked for around 20 years) so i thought I would hook in to some orcs while enjoying painting green skin.
- painted 1 zombicide fattie as a bit of a test paint. In Dec I painted 18 Mercs infected/zombies so i am painting some fatties to match as my generic zombies for a wide variety of games

Up next on the painting rack are 3 more fatties and 14 more myth orcs
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Mango: Jul 21 2017, 05:20 PM
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Jan 15 2017, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,763

Nice work. I love 2nd ed 40K myself.

In terms of the missiles on the warbikes/buggies, I would remove them and replace with the back half of a terminator torso which would give it a sort of double grille I reckon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jan 19 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #7

warburton - interesting idea, i do have some termy parts in the bits box

I felt like painting some zombies and some survivors so i got out 2 mars attacks models that i based ages ago to use as Arnie and Sarah Conner in Terminator but they will also be good for generic survivors. I also did a 4 pack of runners and finished the 4 fattied.

next - I have to look at the orcs and I have also based 2 iKor models as more survivors

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Mango: Jul 21 2017, 05:21 PM
+Quote Post
wereweevil
post Jan 19 2017, 09:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 234

Noice

--------------------
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jan 31 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #9

Ive hit a bit of a wall after my last update, probably staring at those orcs smile.gif. So i went searching for something interesting to paint and found a couple of nice models in dreadball extreme that could be used in a few different games.

I also tried a paint scheme on a dark eldar hellion which I am not overly happy with, it needs some improvement for the next ones, it will do but I tried to take shortcuts which work on smaller more detailed models but they didnt really work on the larger flat surfaces of the hoverboard.

IPB Image

So January is completed, I was hoping for 1 model a day but 27 models in 31 days is pretty good.

I dont think i will do the same in Feb as I have just started a new job but we will see how i go smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mango
post Feb 17 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #10

The wall was very hard, staring at those Orcs I just couldnt get any painting done so i packed them away for another year smile.gif

I painted another 3 characters which I enjoyed and then as I was searching for something else to paint I received a reminder about a Kings of War tourney coming up in a couple of months which has inspired me to go back to the goblins and get some more of that army painted.

The 7 goblins were assembled, converted and undercoated about 18 months ago so it was good to get rid of some undercoated models.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Next - more goblins. i have more spear goblins, I need to do some crew for the rocket launchers and I have some lizardman salamanders I am going to use as war trombones. Also i have alot of spiders for mawbeasts and LOTR wargs, so much to do with the goblin army I wont do it all but if I get some of it done and add to the horde then thats good enough for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Feb 17 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #11

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

They look great. They're just the Hobbit goblins, right?

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
Mango
post Feb 17 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #12

Yep. I love them, great for goblins but also work for post apoc mutants. There are also 18 different sculpts so a good range of poses.

I went and counted how many i have and i have 73 painted and 120 unpainted smile.gif. I went a little crazy when they were going for $1 each on ebay
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Feb 17 2017, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,488

Looking great armata_PDT_01.gif

Where's the mini in the black trenchcoat and sunnies from? I think I've got one too somewhere.

How do you find the stability of those trees on 40mm bases? The LotR books suggest basing them that way but I've never done it because I feel like they'd be too easy to nudge / knock over.

--------------------
Modelling diary: Zen's Occasionally Hyperventilated Blog
Current projects: Epic 40,000 and 28mm stuff
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 6 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,481

I like angry blond sword dude. Where is he from?
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 6 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Olaf the Stout @ Mar 6 2017, 12:11 PM) *

I like angry blond sword dude. Where is he from?

Myth boardgame soldier character.

Well Feb ended in a fizzer and so has the start of March. Ive had too many late nights playing Sleeping Dogs on the Xbox to look at painting but I have now finished the main story so I should get my act into gear and get some paint onto some figures.

I have been thinking about models though, what models to use as revenants for KoW, what models to use as goblin spitters etc. Alot of modelling stuff has been going through my head but it hasnt translated into any actual physical progress smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mango: Mar 6 2017, 01:34 PM
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 9 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 5,481

QUOTE(Mango @ Mar 6 2017, 02:00 PM) *

Myth boardgame soldier character.
Well Feb ended in a fizzer and so has the start of March. Ive had too many late nights playing Sleeping Dogs on the Xbox to look at painting but I have now finished the main story so I should get my act into gear and get some paint onto some figures.

I have been thinking about models though, what models to use as revenants for KoW, what models to use as goblin spitters etc. Alot of modelling stuff has been going through my head but it hasnt translated into any actual physical progress smile.gif

What's Sleeping Dogs like? I bought it a couple of weeks back for the PC, but haven't actually played it yet.
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 9 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Olaf the Stout @ Mar 9 2017, 09:18 AM) *

What's Sleeping Dogs like? I bought it a couple of weeks back for the PC, but haven't actually played it yet.

I got it for free with Xbox live gold subscription and I enjoyed it which is surprising as I HATE 3rd person games. Maybe because it is relatively 'easy' and I didnt feel much frustration with the controls.

Overall it was quite 'light' and didnt require alot of deep thinking and the individual missions were quite short (10-20 mins each) so easy to put down and pick back up again later.

I did complete all the achievements (its something I enjoy) and played it for about a week 4-5 hours a night.

Oh it also came with the 2 expansions, the spirit one was cool but very easy, the doomsday cult one was a bit boring and 'more of the same' main game police missions.
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jul 8 2017, 10:46 PM
Post #18

Been awhile, worked a little, did some study and bashed Battlefield 1 alot.

I also did a little painting here and there, some completed some partially and then put away. Here is what I have completed

Troll
IPB Image

Marine Scouts for New Necromunda - I think scouts with bright colours look silly so I went the camo look, i used pig iron kolony heads which have been in the bits box for around 7 years looking for a project. In addition to 40k these also make good post apoc security force.
IPB Image

I just finished some female survivors, good for post apocalyptic games specifically for Mantics The Walking Dead
IPB Image

I also did some mantic terrain the brickwork ruins from Mars Attacks and 2 Large pipe terrain pieces, no pics of the bricks though sad.gif
IPB Image

Partially done
2 giant spiders for roleplay
3 Ork trukks using old Dark eldar raiders

+Quote Post
Mango
post Jul 8 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Zenithfleet @ Feb 17 2017, 10:40 PM) *

Looking great armata_PDT_01.gif

Where's the mini in the black trenchcoat and sunnies from? I think I've got one too somewhere.

How do you find the stability of those trees on 40mm bases? The LotR books suggest basing them that way but I've never done it because I feel like they'd be too easy to nudge / knock over.

Sorry mate, i must have missed your post the first time around

Mini is iKore? maybe? i think that might have been on the base, cant see it now though smile.gif

Stability is ok, depends on how clumsy the players are. My main way of using them will be on a green piece of felt to define the area of the forest, the trees themselves are based like that so they can easily be moved so vehicles etc can go into the area terrain. they are more of a visual reminder than a specific tree so moving them isnt a problem.

For something like The Walking Dead I will use them as individual trees, I will most likely use the smaller ones so they dont get in the way as there is no real vertically to that game so tree height isnt important.
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jul 16 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #20

I started these spiders a couple of months ago but finally got the willpower to finish them off, they are for general RPG/Frostgrave. Also Leon (the Professional) from the Mercs kickstarter, not a great sculpt but its another modern survivor to add to the pile

IPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2019 - 02:38 PM