Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Late War V4 'Hit the Beach'
majorskiddies
post May 8 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,296

Just looking to gauge interest in the soon (next month as I write this) to be released V4 late war kits such as 'Hit the Beach'.

I realise there has been a schism in the game since V4 and remember tables and tables full of FoW and TY players at MOAB and as a new V4 recruit am wondering the following.

Do you think;

(a) FoW will remain split with the former version players predominantly sticking to V3
(b) V4 late war will (re)connect the current V3 players with the veteran and newer V4 players once again into a harmonious community (well more harmonious than it is).
© Other (if other, what do you think?)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ronin
post May 11 2019, 06:48 AM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,512

Sorry to say, I was having a chat with the flames players at Briscon and they didn't even get enough dudes to get the V4 tournament off the ground, while V3 had dozens of dudes having a blast. Apparently battlefront have semi given up on what they've done with 4 but if they're still releasing stuff for it then I guess its still happening.

Personally I see where battlefront went wrong with V4 and its not the rules, its the dumbed down lists.

Majority of guys have armchair generaled the #### out've WW2 and have their particular units and battles that they love and wanted to build a force around. Its been a labour of love to get the right uniforms, equipment, officer names and often even tank markings. The the africa campaign books dropped and half their options disappeared. I for one lost my quad AAs, pak36r's, stugs, pak 40s and a very large carpark of halftracks that was a huge part of my reason for collecting them in the first place.

Needless to say I wasn't amused, but I like to think I'm one of the few that got over veing butthurt and was happy enough to just get on with it.

Sorry for the rant, I'll stop now.

Cheers man, Ronin

--------------------
+Quote Post
majorskiddies
post May 18 2019, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Hi Ronin,

Not a rant at all, pretty informative really.

Yeah, I have a couple of mates who prefer V4 and I'm too green to really know any better. What you mention is exactly the perspective I was looking to quiz.

Shame abut the list being dumbed down, I was thinking/ hoping the command cards would be a way to customise lists. I thought it even had more potential than various book based lists. Guess not.

If the rules are not the issue and it is the lists I still hold hope for V4. Hopefully they do a decent job on the lists for latewar then.

Cheers,

Nathan

+Quote Post
Munster
post May 20 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 120

I think Wintercon is hoping for 6-12 players for V4, way down from the peak of 40-50 for V3. Hopefully someone is playing it somewhere sad.gif
+Quote Post
thefloppy1
post May 27 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,969

QUOTE(majorskiddies @ May 8 2019, 09:54 AM) *

Just looking to gauge interest in the soon (next month as I write this) to be released V4 late war kits such as 'Hit the Beach'.

I realise there has been a schism in the game since V4 and remember tables and tables full of FoW and TY players at MOAB and as a new V4 recruit am wondering the following.

Do you think;

(a) FoW will remain split with the former version players predominantly sticking to V3
(b) V4 late war will (re)connect the current V3 players with the veteran and newer V4 players once again into a harmonious community (well more harmonious than it is).
© Other (if other, what do you think?)

The problem with V4 is they dumbed down the game, made more comical, not a serious wargame, V3 started to lose people with each Late War book Jumping the shark that was the previous book.
People think it's great, but we were playing LW games that would end before turn 2 (depending on Mission) that is not fun for anybody.

V4 allows Panthers with Tigers in the desert.... that is back to V1 shenanigans. So the answer is going be A. it will remain this way for some time. maybe V5 might be the go.

In it's hay day V3 was getting 80+ people to Cancon playing Flames, all in once comp. it was Glorious.

--------------------
"The dice are killing me!"

Monday Knights

Blog
+Quote Post
majorskiddies
post May 29 2019, 02:59 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(thefloppy1 @ May 27 2019, 10:21 AM) *

The problem with V4 is they dumbed down the game, made more comical, not a serious wargame, V3 started to lose people with each Late War book Jumping the shark that was the previous book.
People think it's great, but we were playing LW games that would end before turn 2 (depending on Mission) that is not fun for anybody.

V4 allows Panthers with Tigers in the desert.... that is back to V1 shenanigans. So the answer is going be A. it will remain this way for some time. maybe V5 might be the go.

In it's hay day V3 was getting 80+ people to Cancon playing Flames, all in once comp. it was Glorious.

I hope you are wrong but suspect you are right. Wow, 80+ is very impressive. I dont really mind a simplification/ streamline of a game but i do really hate codex creep. Not sure if that is the case in V4.

I know the rules wont be changing in late war, but Im wondering if it will be enough to satisfy hardened v3 players to pop over and give it another go in spite of the V4 mid war ....... issues?
+Quote Post
thefloppy1
post Jun 6 2019, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,969

QUOTE(majorskiddies @ May 29 2019, 02:59 PM) *

I hope you are wrong but suspect you are right. Wow, 80+ is very impressive. I dont really mind a simplification/ streamline of a game but i do really hate codex creep. Not sure if that is the case in V4.

I know the rules wont be changing in late war, but Im wondering if it will be enough to satisfy hardened v3 players to pop over and give it another go in spite of the V4 mid war ....... issues?

Dumbing down and streamlining are very different things.

--------------------
"The dice are killing me!"

Monday Knights

Blog
+Quote Post
paintmiester
post Jun 6 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 368

Agree 100%.
The killer for a lot of guys I played V3 against/with regularly, was the dumbing down & where BF kept pushing the crud about improving the game, just made a bad thing worse.

It was similar, in my opinion, to GW dumbing down 40K & WHFB all in the name of chasing the liquid income of the younger players. A fair number of older diehard players left to follow other game systems.

Like a lot of older players, the big drawcard of FoW was the ability to create lists of actual units or what-if's & game with a reasonably good game mechanic. Well, that was the mainstay for a lot of guys I played against socially.

A lot of hard earned money was spent buying the elements for our chosen armies. Then time & effort was put into assembly, painting etc. Then V4 comes out & suddenly elements of the collection are now nugatory (artillery cmd teams etc). Or even worse, no longer a viable element in the forces lists.

Anyway, BF lost me as a regular customer & devotee by this 'new & improved' version of the game. Maybe, just maybe, if they scrap this ####-up of a version & bring out a better revised Vers3 as Vers5, I might consider re-investing in their product.

Everyone has their own take on the ebb & flow of BF's ideas. Its what you want out of it.
+Quote Post
genghisbob
post Jun 27 2019, 10:11 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,774

Come to Maitland Good games for a LW 1 day event and try it out, 4th August.

+Quote Post
spike12225
post Aug 24 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,566

Towards the end of V2 you could see the direction of the game I didn’t even bother with V3 I have a rather nice fallschirmjäger force and a tiger force but it sits unused even considering offloading it as I haven’t played in so long.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I claim no responsibility for advice followed regarding advice given.
(Greatwolf Glen @ Mar 9 2013, 07:19 PM) Spike if you don't like my opinion, just block my posts as I don't need to justify my opinions

Nexis01 Feb 2 2013, 05:55 PM
i present you: masterful use of hyperbole ^

QUOTE(Dice Array @ Mar 13 2016, 04:48 PM) *

Magos you're losing
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2019 - 02:06 AM