Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can I build a british commando team in BA??, Still looking into the games appeal...
Ronin
post Sep 10 2016, 09:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,512

Hey all,

As above, is there a force list for the british (or aussie for that matter) commandos?? Or is there an option to just make them all veterans and slap berets on them??

Dont care too much if it would make them a less useful gaming force, far more of the appeal to me is theming ability.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cannonball
post Sep 10 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Whatever it takes

Member No.: 69

Cmdr roy

--------------------
#Brenton2016
+Quote Post
ooze
post Sep 11 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #3

From: In the Shadows of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney(ish), Oz
Member No.: 1,087

The simple answer is yes, and yes.

A British Commando list is presented on Page 69 of the Armies of Great Britain supplement, and similarly inspired lists for LRDG in the Western Desert (Page 73) and Chindits in Burma (Page 77) are also found in that tome.

Australian Commandos operating in far more tropical climes are well covered in the enthralling Australians in the South West Pacific 1942-45 supplement written by Bryan Cook and Patch Adams, and it is available as a free download through Warlord Games. Well worth a look.

--------------------
"Never moon a Werewolf!"
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Nov 2 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #4

Cheers for the advice, I have picked up a copy of the rules nice and cheap, now to build a wee force to play with.

Following the commando theme, im thinking a few sections of them, with jeeps smattered around, and supported by a few PIATs, mortars and snipers. Still iffy on getting too gung ho on tanks right this minute...

Whats a normal points size for casual or tournament games?? 1000 - 1250??

*EDIT* Remembered that perry do a desert rats line, and since my grandpa was a rat, I have always wanted to do an army of them. This also means I can go for a combination of pommy commandos and veteran aussies doing their thing. Which ticks all boxes.

Cheers, Ronin

This post has been edited by Ronin: Nov 3 2016, 08:04 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ooze
post Nov 3 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #5

From: In the Shadows of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney(ish), Oz
Member No.: 1,087

QUOTE(Ronin @ Nov 2 2016, 06:13 PM) *

Whats a normal points size for casual or tournament games?? 1000 - 1250??

1000 points are Tournament Classique, however there is an increasing move for allowing a greater range of troop and platoon structure options, and 1250 does work better. Here's hoping 1500 eventually clicks in.

And, afaic, thumbing your nose at armour merely means that you have truly entered the mindset of the hard nosed and pure light infantry platoon player. For which you have my full and unfettered respect.

armata_PDT_37.gif

--------------------
"Never moon a Werewolf!"
+Quote Post
J.D.Entropy
post Nov 4 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,480

I thought I had posted it earlier, but on the warlord website there is a list for an all commando army. Pretty much what you would expect - all veteran, commando special rules apply to support weapons, can take 1 squad of paras too.

You could also look into the lrdg entry if you want to go desert - all squads must have transport but you get jeeps and trucks with machine guns out the wazoo.

Re tanks, I think they play quite differently in 2nd ed. Harder to ignore than they used to be, especially the German ones with the tiger fear rule and mmgs dishing out 6 shots each now.the change to the way heavy AT guns damage infantry plus the template rules really make them less of a cool liability than they were.

--------------------
Paint little lead men
Pew-pew! Your ork Warboss died
Give me the trophy
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Nov 5 2016, 08:26 AM
Post #7

Sweet, 1000 is basically what ive been working towards so that will work out fine.

Ionno about tanks, quite happy to have halftracks and such (love a good halftrack) but im also quite poor and 1:56 tanks are far from cheap. Have also been looking into russians as they can do elite armies, but with MUCH cheaper models. Wargames factory and plastic soldier company both have decent russian plastic sets for dirt cheap. Wheras perry desert rats are better models, but cost more dollarydoos and id wind up probably needing PSC heavy weapons regardless.

Everythings still up in the air. Trying to balance rule of cool with rule of broke arse wargamer.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
+Quote Post
rat of vengence
post Nov 6 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 362

QUOTE(Ronin @ Nov 5 2016, 09:26 AM) *

Sweet, 1000 is basically what ive been working towards so that will work out fine.

Ionno about tanks, quite happy to have halftracks and such (love a good halftrack) but im also quite poor and 1:56 tanks are far from cheap. Have also been looking into russians as they can do elite armies, but with MUCH cheaper models. Wargames factory and plastic soldier company both have decent russian plastic sets for dirt cheap. Wheras perry desert rats are better models, but cost more dollarydoos and id wind up probably needing PSC heavy weapons regardless.

Everythings still up in the air. Trying to balance rule of cool with rule of broke arse wargamer.

Cheers, Ronin

I'd check out some reviews of the PSC troops, I've heard the quality isn't up to the same level. The Perry box goes a long way, has brens, 2" mortars, Boys ATR, models you can use for snipers and forward observers.

RoV

--------------------
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Twin-linked gives you the ability to miss twice with a single shot weapon.

My Orcstralian Army blog, at the best O&G site; http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_War...showtopic=23521

My children, also known as Destroyers of Hobby
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Jan 4 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #9

Ok, so with a great sale on WGF russians and a brother in law that lives in the USA to mule things back for me I found the resolution that meets gaming requirements and doesnt hurt the wallet ($10US a platoon not too bad at all)

So ill be starting a russian army at the end of march when he gets here. Pretty excited to get started on these guys, enjoy that I can play them as an elite paratrooper army or a horde, makes me moist.

So for expansion, who finds AT guns and light artillery better than tanks?? Think im obliged to get a T34 or two but options are aplenty.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th April 2020 - 05:56 PM