> War of Rights, or online re-enactment American Civil War style
b20f08
post Aug 2 2019, 12:16 AM
Post #1

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Discovered this last night while trawling the w-internet. Excited me enough to want to purchase the alpha version. Got a hankering to do something like this for some time now given my recent exposure to Holdfast: Nations at War (a Napoleonic version of Mount and Blade).

This link is to an episode I enjoyed very much last night. The exciting part is everyone is a player (no bots I believe). The number of players can go up to 150, so I believe, which adds to the excitement, especially when (from a historical perspective) you see them engage as they might have in those times (the Harpers Ferry episode was interesting to watch). It certainly brings alive that love of the period which I well remember from my early youth and some decades ago.

I would recommend anything by YouTuber General Cody HD.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Aug 2 2019, 12:24 AM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan, Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Aug 2 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

War of Rights excites me because of the re-enactment aspect which easily draws in the ACW historical buff like me keen to experience that environment without going to all the physical involvements, i.e. done easily from a keyboard instead. And the YouTube videos I am watching are so engaging. The urge to join a company line and become immersed in a time long gone is so overpowering.

It's certainly an improvement on Holdfast which I am also enjoying because the episodes tend to sacrifice accuracy for entertainment. The YT episodes I am watching are hilarious, especially Soviet Womble's antics. And his historical commentaries are particularly interesting as well.

To be totally frank, watching the streams of General Cody and Soviet Womble is better than TV these days for me. Sorry for digressing. Back to my point.

I was watching an episode last night on another YT channel showing WoR and was disappointed by a casual comment in passing made one of the Rebs who used the race card. My wife was watching the same episode because I was trying to explain my excitement at WoR in general. She heard the remark and just looked at me in shock and walked away. "Not worth the price then," was her comment.

You will always get that few who will always ruin it for everyone else by bringing their bias and ignorance to any game they're involved with. Hearing that redneck comment last night made me pause. Will I now get the game? Not sure now but I love the period that much and General Cody makes it so appealing that I can ignore the bad aspect and join in the fun. Maybe I will go with the Union side if I do. I wonder if there is an Oceania unit I could enlist in. One funny thing I've noticed is that everyone wants to be an officer who see this and join up. But I know what is involved with being a commander and it doesn't interest me one bit; I just want to participate and be part of the ACW re-enactment simulation.

But maybe I will just stay with Holdfast and join the same server as Soviet Womble; at least I know they don't take themselves too seriously. And one can die ingloriously/gloriously in front of an audience. Lol.

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan, Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Aug 4 2019, 04:36 AM
Post #3

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Been reading the love and joy over on the WoR forum. The best advice is the one I will adopt: mute the dude. And go ahead and play the game. As I will be in a few days.

I did take the plunge and purchased a couple more games - World of Warships (20th century naval) and Holdfast: Nation at War (the Napoleonic version). The local scene for Holdfast is a happening thing although many locals also play on the NA and EU servers. Got to go where the people are I suppose. The interesting part out of all this are the clan thingy happening, in both WOWS and Holdfast. If there is a surge or renewal of interest in either locally, it'll be because of the clan events going on. Not exactly like Fortnite but then historical tends to be a niche pastime for fuddy duddys, so casual observers might remark.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Aug 17 2019, 06:40 AM
Post #4

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

I never knew the interweb could be such a dangerous place. Did you put on your stain-proof invulnerable underpants, darling? Yes, dear! Did you update your insurance policy so the fur kids and myself will be taken care of in case you get kilt in your online gaming adventures, dear? Yes darling...

War of Rights is such an engaging game that I finally bought the damn thing. And then I drummed up a suitably vanilla in-game character and put it out there through Company Tool for the recruiters to entice my character to join their cause. And they weren't slow in coming forwards. I will wait-and-see what's out there for the moment. I don't know if there are any AU/NZ regiments that I could join. No, wait...there is one I discovered via Steam. Shout out to the 10th TX regiment. Are you guys still actively playing? Lol.

How was your day, dear. You look a little frayed and worn; was it hot out there? No dear. This damn super suit is making me itchy all over. No worries then; you just undress and I'll run you a hot bath. Would you like a coffee in the meantime? Oh, yes dear, that would be lovely...

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Aug 17 2019, 10:39 AM
Post #5

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Don't get pressured into joining a regiment/company. Even though you will receive recruitment telegrams, resist the impulse to sign up straight up without first taking time to take stock of your role playing situation.

Spend the time -- like I will -- learning the drills and shooting on the few public servers available. Interact with whomever is there or not; the choice is up to you. Get up to speed with the game mechanics. The regiments/companies will always still be there.

At least that's advice I might receive from my grandad if he were to counsel me.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2020 - 12:44 PM