Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clash of the Titans 2015 Feedback Thread (And Thank You!)
DaleHastings
post Feb 26 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,668

A fantastic turnout this year for Clash of the Titans 2015. 187 competitors across 9 tournaments. We'd like to take this chance to thank all of our attendees, both past and present for helping us reach a decade of community events and by making this the best Clash of the Titans yet.

Attendee behaviour this year was impeccable. I would like to personally thank each and everyone of you, you made the Convention Team's job possible. We hope to welcome all of you back again next year, with (perhaps) a new style of convention cresting the horizon.

We'd like to also thank our sponsors for their generous support this year:
The Combat Company for the gift certificate prizes
Games Empire for their fantastic Flames of War prizes.
Baker's Delight Cherrybrook and George's Fine Meats Cherrybrook for delicious NomNoms
Barry Scarlett ('lewchips' on fanaticus.org) for his De Bellis Antiquitatis prizes

A final Thank You to our Tournament Organisers, cracking job this year!

If you'd like to leave any feedback regarding the convention, facilities or registration system. Please post below. The as-of-yet Unnamed event for 2016 will be conducting it's first committee meeting within a month. We want your opinions!

So far we have identified:
Possible change of venue (if feasible)
A more sophisticated online registration system (no more failed/unpaid registrations)
Bathroom facilities
Improved communication between the Convention Team and the Tournament Organisers (who as said, did an excellent job!)

If you have anything further to add, post below!

And THANK YOU!

This post has been edited by DaleHastings: Feb 26 2015, 05:50 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mono
post Feb 27 2015, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,670

Chairs at tables would be nice

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Wisdom: Don't use a hatchet to remove a fly from the forehead of your friend

My Painting Diary or Can I Paint a New Army for Every Tournament This Year, the answer is hell no, but I gave it a good bash
+Quote Post
Good ol Shakey
post Feb 27 2015, 09:45 AM
Post #3

shakeshakeshakeyshake

Member No.: 4,979

+1 to Mono.
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Feb 27 2015, 09:52 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,286

The only problem I had with the 40k tournament was that 2nd Place Overall went to an army which wasn't legal by the players pack, or fully painted. Some units were grey plastic, and the players pack stated that unpainted armies would be ineligible for prizes.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
Adrian Williams
post Feb 27 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,309

The only complaint I would make about the venue is inadequate parking

--------------------
Adrian Williams
DBA 2.2, SAGA, FOGR, FOGAM, FOW
Sydney
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Feb 27 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #6

That said, the tournament was good fun, the location is great, the food was really good.

--------------------

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
DaleHastings
post Feb 27 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Thank you gentlemen, keep it coming.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bone 'ead
post Feb 27 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,776

The T.O. For Hobbit was AMAZING!!!!!
+Quote Post
fued
post Feb 28 2015, 06:28 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,343

i hate gift certificates, i always lose em before i can use em
+Quote Post
fruitbat
post Feb 28 2015, 07:58 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 95

QUOTE(Bone 'ead @ Feb 27 2015, 10:25 PM) *

The T.O. For Hobbit was AMAZING!!!!!

and impeccably dressed wink.gif
+Quote Post
gaz1858
post Feb 28 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,484

Maybe before running 40K again we could do a survey on what people are looking for to try and increase turnout. A few questions would be:

Game Time Limits - all happy with 2hr 45 mins?

Army Composition - 2 Source ok or are we looking at maybe 3? Do single model/unit dataslates count as a source?

IA - Should it be allowed and if so to what extent. All in or are some units just too powerful to allow?

Stronghold Assault - how much can be used?

Painting - to what extent does painting affect your overall score?

Maybe we can see what us needed for people to enjoy the tourbey and attend it.

+Quote Post
AJenko
post Feb 28 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,206

Clash of the Titans 2015 Feedback.

Venue: The venue works, and can easily separate and give some privacy to each competition (i.e. who wants to hear Sean voice outside of the hobbit). The new room where the hobbit was held was great, enough room for all, and easily manageable with the 30-32 players we had.

Registration: No problem with the registration, I found it easy and a bit more manageable then previous years.

Bathroom: Only used them once or twice and early in the day. Nice and clean, and regularly being supplied with toilet paper etc.

Con Team/Tournament Organizers: Fine communication and assistance between Liam and Sean as they ran/assisted in the comp. Some end of day confusion on where to put the tables etc among the younger staff.

Food: Cant comment - did not have any aside from drinks. Canteen staff were wonderful.

Hobbit Competition: Same as previous years, no real issues. Sean was able to run the comp well, and promote it greatly via the cott or hobbit facebook group. Prize spread was great, however random prizes could have been done more openly or entertainingly (hat at the end?) or even as additional prizes (thirds,best board/objectives). The fun awards (dont tell the elf/other one), write them down after the game (spare spot on the score sheet) and get a third party (Liam?) to vote.

No real issues during the day, however some chairs in the rooms would have been good (although I do understand the issues involved with this, and respect the decision lol).

--------------------

Founding and Active Member of the former Area 37 Gaming Club
+Quote Post
DaleHastings
post Mar 1 2015, 05:29 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(gaz1858 @ Feb 28 2015, 07:18 PM) *

Maybe we can see what us needed for people to enjoy the tourbey and attend it.

Thanks Gaz, we always try to tailor our events to the wants of our attendees. This is why feedback is important.

On a side note, I have not played 40k for quite some time, does the community actually like running allies, big models and flyers? Always seemed to me to detract from what was originally a skirmish game... but that must a matter of taste. Then again, I can't keep living in 3rd edition T_T...

We do feel Kirby did a great job this year, but feedback all the same is greatly appreciated.

--------------------
+Quote Post
gaz1858
post Mar 1 2015, 07:15 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(DaleHastings @ Mar 1 2015, 06:29 AM) *

Thanks Gaz, we always try to tailor our events to the wants of our attendees. This is why feedback is important.

On a side note, I have not played 40k for quite some time, does the community actually like running allies, big models and flyers? Always seemed to me to detract from what was originally a skirmish game... but that must a matter of taste. Then again, I can't keep living in 3rd edition T_T...

We do feel Kirby did a great job this year, but feedback all the same is greatly appreciated.

Hey Dale. Currently nobody has any issues with Flyers and FMCs and Allies. Theyve been around long enough now. From what ive heard some people would like to use more of their models. Alnog these lines are the Qs about forgeworld and source max. Personally i dont think an "anything goes" formula is viable for a tournament. However possibly allowing single model/unit dataslates to be used for free would be good.

These would be LotD, Inquisition, Cypher, assassins, belakor are the ones from memory that allow a single choice. If more than one choice is taken it becomes a source.

On an IA perspective this is something im trying to investigate myself. I am only familiar with IA2 and there is nothing in there that scream OMG. Even the Superheavies to be honest arent that bad as theres a huge pts cost for them. And if tourneys are going to allow Imperial Knights then why not other superheavies? Will take some time though as im sure il dind some things that should be banned or modified. One consuderation i had is theres a marine tank S10 Ap1 large blast and ignores cover, i would modify that to reroll passed cover saves as ignores is too good. Although it is 350 points and thats the only gun it has so will we see it much, probably not.

This post has been edited by gaz1858: Mar 1 2015, 07:18 AM
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Mar 1 2015, 08:03 AM
Post #15

As far as I'm concerned, the best system to use is Paddlecomp, especially as they are expanding to cover Imperial Armour.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Starfire
post Mar 1 2015, 08:09 AM
Post #16

http://www.communitycomp.org

--------------------

+Quote Post
gaz1858
post Mar 1 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #17

Is there a wargamerau page that discusses this starfire so as not to hijack this thread?
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Mar 1 2015, 12:14 PM
Post #18

There's a thread pinned at the top of the 40k General subforum.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170035

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirby
post Mar 1 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 9,587

First - woops Ben you are right; I completely forgot about that dropping down prizes; you have my apologies for that sad.gif.

Second - I think this was a great example of people bringing good lists without going over the top and trying to ham out "the best / cheese / etc". I didn't set any restrictions or ask people to re-submit lists and I think this is probably rare but if people stuck by this, I don't think there would be a need for anything to really try and "fix" 40k.

That being said, I think the much more casually competitive side of the game came to the tournament this year rather than the more competitively minded folks.

--------------------
3++ is the new black - Wargaming Blog
+Quote Post
DaleHastings
post Mar 1 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #20

Thanks Kirby, and gentlemens. I really appreciate the responses. Now back to the con! biggrin.gif

We had a short de-brief this afternoon. We are working on much of this feedback already.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2019 - 12:15 AM