Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 8th Ed Vanilla marines question, Returning to 40k
w00f135
post Jul 30 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,474

I've got a bunch of marines around and wondered with the buffs and nerfs for 8th what you would recommend I add to have something at least a bit viable for friendly games and maybe tournaments (not power game, just not getting stomped)? (Have collected on and off but not played since 4th ed):

Exploring my bits box (mentally as I'm OS ATM) What I have:
Captains x3 (power and termi)
Librarians x2 (power and termi)
Tac Squads x3 (M/L and meltas but have flamers and plasma if need)
Sternguard Vets 5man
Tyrannic War vets 4man
Dev Squad X1 10man
Landspeeder x1 (am I reading it right that they can have AssC & HFlamer?)
Terminators from AoBR
Terminators from Spacehulk
Dreads x2 (M/L + Las) + (AssC and PFist/Flamer)

Locally we are playing 1500pt intro games which I've got covered already.

Looking at it as a newb I don't have any transport nor jump packs for the close deployment nor heavy armor.
Are fliers still worth it? Are teleport homing becons for terminators worthwhile? Are marine-heavy forces viable now without templates? Do you think Flamers got nerfed by that?

Thoughts and comments appreciated
-w00f

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Jul 30 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #2

Wyrd Henchman

Member No.: 7,498

QUOTE(w00f135 @ Jul 30 2017, 03:28 PM) *

Looking at it as a newb I don't have any transport nor jump packs for the close deployment nor heavy armor.
Are fliers still worth it? Are teleport homing becons for terminators worthwhile? Are marine-heavy forces viable now without templates? Do you think Flamers got nerfed by that.

I'm not the best person to answer this but I've played a few games at this point so the following is my take.

Fliers are still good in a support role which makes a heap of sense. They are more vulnerable to shooting than last edition but still cause a lot of pain.

Teleport Homers are free and give you some tactical options so why not. Terminators are fantastic to hold in reserve to drop down where needed. I understand that many people prefer the Assault Terminators but I feel the regular ones still have value.

Marine heavy armies should be fine, a lot of bodies means better survivability and firepower and many objectives ask you to have more models close to it than your opponent. You'll just not be as manoeuvrable as other armies.

There are some advantages to the new flamer rules over the old template style. Particularly when the opposing unit is just under 8" away.

My advice is get stuck in with what you have, you'll work out pretty quickly what works and what doesn't. Keep the special weapons options open if you can because each have strengths and weaknesses and there is no real 'best' option out of flamer, melta and plasma as they all fall into distinct roles.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
+Quote Post
w00f135
post Jul 30 2017, 11:41 PM
Post #3

Thanks HP! Not having to buy big toys for a look in is good news.
Not counting friendlies for LOS and firing means marines enmasse are likely more forgiving in this edition too.

Will play some games and see how we go. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jul 31 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #4

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Missle launchers are great as is putting lots of bodies down. Transports are pretty optional so don't worry about that. Stormbolter Terminators got a big buff now they rapid fire within 12" for 4 shots per. The Teleport homer is just a token and it's free. Seems to add a lot of flexibility to how you would use them but I haven't tried it out yet. Dreadnoughts are back and badder than ever. Devastators remain excellent and have some good upgrade items (again, just tokens). Seems like that's a decent mix of stuff to try out. I wouldn't bother expanding it unless you wanted to. If I were to add stuff to it then it would be a captain, a banner guy and a predator with an autocannon but that force will work fine to start.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
w00f135
post Aug 9 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Jul 31 2017, 10:36 AM) *

Missle launchers are great as is putting lots of bodies down. Transports are pretty optional so don't worry about that. Stormbolter Terminators got a big buff now they rapid fire within 12" for 4 shots per. The Teleport homer is just a token and it's free. Seems to add a lot of flexibility to how you would use them but I haven't tried it out yet. Dreadnoughts are back and badder than ever. Devastators remain excellent and have some good upgrade items (again, just tokens). Seems like that's a decent mix of stuff to try out. I wouldn't bother expanding it unless you wanted to. If I were to add stuff to it then it would be a captain, a banner guy and a predator with an autocannon but that force will work fine to start.

Thanks CF! Sorry for the delayed reply. I've had a look through the indexes since my last post and agree.
The only change I'm a bit unsure of is the heavy flamer, just seems a bit underwhelming compared to the storm bolter.

The move away from templates also helps as I don't feel so inclined to buy 50+ 30mm bases!

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 12:50 AM