> Feedback sought
Krefey
post Jan 4 2018, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

OK, so I have an early quote for the production of the pieces, but I still have a few little things to work out.

What I'm currently doing is adding some holes for magnets, to help keep the walls together during play, while allowing for modularity. The plan was for two magnets on each connection point, but three is an option too.

So what do people think, stick with two, or make it three?

IPB Image

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MarineLizard
post Jan 4 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,589

I think two is fine - if they're made out of plastic they'll be lightweight enough so it should hold.

--------------------
DON'T FEED THE IBIS YOU MORON
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 4 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Yeah, two should be fine. Magnets are strong magic.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 4 2018, 05:15 PM
Post #4

Paintmaster Mod

Member No.: 3

Two. It's not a load-bearing join, and two magnets should be plenty strong enough to stop the walls sliding apart.

--------------------
[www.morsla.net] [WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
Honey Starr
post Jan 4 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,584

One magnet!

What you're proposing uses four magnets!

On one face have a magnet, and on the other face have a piece of steel (plated to prevent corrosion). So instead of four magnets, you have one magnet and one piece of steel. Why glue four things in when you can glue just two things, also probably cheaper.

The real benefit though, is that in my experience, unless terrain pieces like this that are magnetised together are perfectly aligned, the strength of the magnets will pull the terrain pieces together in a way that can leave gaps in certain locations. So for instance, if the four magnet holes are not aligned properly, due to poor casting or a warped piece, or if the magnets are not glued in precisely at the same height, then when you place the two pieces together, the magnets may pull together and lift one piece slightly off the table surface, giving you an uneven and unsightly terrain feature.

If you have a single magnet on one side, and a piece of steel on the other, you don't have this problem because you only have one side pulling, the other is inert. You can even use this method to adjust the pieces so they fit better and hold in place where you want them to, and it is less critical to have the magnet aligned perfectly in the hole.

If it was to hold weight, I would say four magnets, but just to hold something in place, you are better of with one magnet and one piece of steel.

Also, you won't have any polarity issues if people make mistakes when gluing in dozens of magnets.

Using a magnet to steel connection though means that you may potentially reduce modularity, but maybe not depending on how your terrain pieces are designed. I suggest make some easy mock-ups and play around with how modular both methods would be compared to each other.

I'd suggest you use generic magnets rather than 40K style magnets though, as you will catch a larger section of the market.

This post has been edited by Honey Starr: Jan 4 2018, 07:26 PM
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jan 4 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(Honey Starr @ Jan 4 2018, 08:08 PM) *

One magnet!

What you're proposing uses four magnets!

On one face have a magnet, and on the other face have a piece of steel (plated to prevent corrosion). So instead of four magnets, you have one magnet and one piece of steel. Why glue four things in when you can glue just two things, also probably cheaper.

The real benefit though, is that in my experience, unless terrain pieces like this that are magnetised together are perfectly aligned, the strength of the magnets will pull the terrain pieces together in a way that can leave gaps in certain locations. So for instance, if the four magnet holes are not aligned properly, due to poor casting or a warped piece, or if the magnets are not glued in precisely at the same height, then when you place the two pieces together, the magnets may pull together and lift one piece slightly off the table surface, giving you an uneven and unsightly terrain feature.

If you have a single magnet on one side, and a piece of steel on the other, you don't have this problem because you only have one side pulling, the other is inert. You can even use this method to adjust the pieces so they fit better and hold in place where you want them to, and it is less critical to have the magnet aligned perfectly in the hole.

If it was to hold weight, I would say four magnets, but just to hold something in place, you are better of with one magnet and one piece of steel.

Also, you won't have any polarity issues if people make mistakes when gluing in dozens of magnets.

Using a magnet to steel connection though means that you may potentially reduce modularity, but maybe not depending on how your terrain pieces are designed. I suggest make some easy mock-ups and play around with how modular both methods would be compared to each other.

I'd suggest you use generic magnets rather than 40K style magnets though, as you will catch a larger section of the market.

There are 40k style magnets now?

You raise good points regarding the potential for miscasts etc causing potential issues though. But I imagine a single magnet would experience the same issues. The magnets will be optional, as in people won't have to use them if they don't want to.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
Honey Starr
post Jan 4 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,584

QUOTE(Krefey @ Jan 4 2018, 07:47 PM) *

But I imagine a single magnet would experience the same issues.

Negative Ghost Rider! Two magnets will draw each other together, attempting to centre on each other. A magnet on metal will simply stay where you place it.

So you have a small-ish magnet on one side and a larger piece of metal on the other side, both inset into the terrain piece. You simply attach the two together, and adjust accordingly. You can't do this with two magnets, because as soon as you take your hands off the terrain pieces, the magnets will immediately re-centre on each other.

The magnets will be optional, as in people won't have to use them if they don't want to.

Sure, but if you are going to the trouble of creating the magnet option, and advertising it as a feature of your product, you might as well do it in a fashion that works best.

There are 40k style magnets now?

I was joking.
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jan 5 2018, 07:45 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(Honey Starr @ Jan 4 2018, 10:18 PM) *

Negative Ghost Rider! Two magnets will draw each other together, attempting to centre on each other. A magnet on metal will simply stay where you place it.

So you have a small-ish magnet on one side and a larger piece of metal on the other side, both inset into the terrain piece. You simply attach the two together, and adjust accordingly. You can't do this with two magnets, because as soon as you take your hands off the terrain pieces, the magnets will immediately re-centre on each other.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Sure, but if you are going to the trouble of creating the magnet option, and advertising it as a feature of your product, you might as well do it in a fashion that works best.

Only issue would be finding and manufacturing steel pieces of a suitable size / shape. Which would add to the cost. Could be worth checking out as an option though.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
Andy242
post Jan 5 2018, 11:12 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,044

I'm with Honey, my reaction too was 4 magnets per connection seemed excessive...

If all we're doing is just minimising oopsies from nudges and stuff, a single magnet should be more than enough- just 2c.

These look AMAZING btw.

Just thought these are also quite good:

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officew...-x-3m-ottomt315

Cut them into small rectangles to be magnetised- but yeah, the strength isn't crash hot- I assume this is just to stop Carl's gut from breaking the layout when he reaches for a pencil (dammit Carl!!!)

This post has been edited by Andy242: Jan 5 2018, 11:15 AM
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jan 5 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Well, the option is there for people to only use one magnet per side rather than two as I won't be including the magnets already placed. It is more to provide people the option of magnets if they want.

So you could easily just not have any magnets if you wanted.

I'll continue the work based on 2 magnets and work on seeing if I can't provide other options based on the suggestions so far.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jan 8 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Another item that I'm interested in opinions on, the bases. Would people prefer to see full bases or base toppers?

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
Maxo_Q
post Jan 8 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #12

Social Vampire
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 4,233

I prefer full bases.
+Quote Post
Andy242
post Jan 8 2018, 12:21 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,044

QUOTE(Krefey @ Jan 5 2018, 12:43 PM) *

Well, the option is there for people to only use one magnet per side rather than two as I won't be including the magnets already placed.

Ah yeah; of course, s'obvious when someone points it out, isn't it :\
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jan 8 2018, 12:25 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE(Andy242 @ Jan 8 2018, 01:21 PM) *

Ah yeah; of course, s'obvious when someone points it out, isn't it :\

To be fair, I didn't really mention that part.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 12:16 AM