Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Charge of the Ice Brigade, Participation game at Little Wars 2012
Dagorlad
post Oct 20 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,003

Yes folks, we're at it again. 2012's Little Wars will feature a game we like to call 'The Charge of the Ice Brigade!'

Set during the early days of World War II somewhere on the snow-covered frontiers of Western Russia, a Soviet armoured train is steaming east carrying a top secret cargo that could help stop the invading German panzers in their tracks. But a renegade group of Russian troops are trying to intercept it and take the cargo for themselves. Using aerosans (basically, sleds with a ruddy great aeroplane motor strapped to the back) they are chasing the train through the frosty forests of Siberia.

The aerosan and armoured train models are from Company B.

IPB Image
(click to biggify)

The train remains fairly static on the table and the terrain will scroll past to simulate movement. The players must manoeuvre their aerosans around the on-coming terrain avoiding collisions with trees and houses (and each other), while setting themselves up for a shot at the train. The train can shoot back too of course. I have a fair bit of snowy terrain already, but I'll be making more over the coming months, including some railway trackside details, hopefully. Playtesting of certain aspects is already under way, as is construction of six aerosans.

Hope to see you there!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dagorlad
post Nov 7 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #2

Work is progressing on the development of the game itself and the models I'll be using. More 28mm shinyness arrived the other day from CompanyB:

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

This is an armoured railcar from the Soviet Union - the MBV-2. Three turrets and bristling with machine guns, these things packed an enormous amount of fire-power and were capable of fighting off enemy armour and ground troops. However, they were susceptible to air-attack and often travelled with a flak gun mounted on a flatbed wagon to provide air-defence capabilities.

It's a very cool model and will hopefully make for a very interesting piece on the game table. I've chosen to add in some extra detail and repair some of the minor casting mishaps, but generally it's quite easy to assemble. In the package there was a Polish armoured train as well, so I've a fair bit of fun ahead of me building and painting these and constructing a railway system to put them on.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hongihika
post Nov 14 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,547

Hey Alan, this looks great! Nic was explaining the rules to me, and I was trying to get my head around the movement of the little aerosans relative to the train and terrain. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!

I guess we'll have to sit down and start working dates and locations for Little Wars Melbourne 2011. As it is, it's looking like it'll be Realm of Legends - I think it'll be an awesome venue for the day.

Look forward to seeing you there (and another one of your fantastic games), Dagorlad.
+Quote Post
Dagorlad
post Nov 20 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #4

Thanks Ara, looking forward to hearing some official news.

I would have posted an update to show a painted train, but I'm having a devil of a job getting paint to stick to the resin - that must be some mould release they use!

--------------------
+Quote Post
lijosahn
post Dec 11 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,757

Hey guys any news on date/s for this event yet? Sounds great!
+Quote Post
Dagorlad
post Dec 27 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(lijosahn @ Dec 11 2011, 08:05 AM) *

Hey guys any news on date/s for this event yet? Sounds great!

I'll copy you in on an email I got from Nic Robson of Eureka Minitures:

QUOTE(Nic Robson @ Dec 13 2011, 04:03 PM)
It’s here again! After a year off, when we had difficulties finding a location, Little Wars Melbourne will be back in 2012.
This time we will be in Croydon, hosted by Maria and Ross of Realm of Legends 190-198 Mount Dandenong Rd Croydon 3136 http://www.realmoflegends.com.au/
The date has been set for Sunday 27th May 2012 , the usual time that we hold this event.

It's going to be a blast!

--------------------
+Quote Post
hongihika
post Jan 11 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,547

Yep, all going ahead. We were finalising details with Maria last night. Doing the finishing touches on the blog/site, so more info then.

Currently we can confidently say: Sunday 27th May, 10am-5pm, Realm of Legends.

Lots and lots and lots of games; Ozpainters competition; Traders' stalls; Bring n Buy; lotsa food and drink.

Will post more shortly
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th July 2020 - 09:47 PM