> BrisCon 2019, Participation Game - Canvas Eagles
b20f08
post Jan 5 2019, 04:14 AM
Post #1

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Hi all. Putting my hand up to run a FREE PUBLIC PARTICIPATION game at this year's BrisCon. The system I'll be hosting will be a simplified form of Canvas Eagles using the Fluid game version. The Fluid game is akin to that endless battle where you crash land/get shot down/run off the board and respawn for as long as you want or until time is called. Game itself will only take five minutes to learn.

Right now I'm looking for some assistance from the wider gaming community in Brisbane with some loan 1/72 planes. Looking for Late War planes (after Jan 1917 only) mostly for variety and backups. I am keenly after these particular planes if you can spare them. Am even happy to build them if unassembled and afterwards paint them to tabletop standard.

Central Powers
  • Haberstadt CL-II/IIIa
  • Hannover CL-IIIa
  • LFG Roland DII/DVIb
  • Junker D-I
  • Pfalz DIII/DXII
  • Siemen Schuckert D-I/DIII

Allied
  1. Ansaldo SVA5
  2. Airco DH-4/5/9
  3. Bristol F2b
  4. RAF RE8
  5. Sopwith Dolphin
  6. Sopwith Snipe

Please send me a PM if you can help out a fellow gamer. Cheers.

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Mar 8 2019, 01:08 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,512

I'd have to check when I get home in a few weeks but I'm confident I have the pfalz, f2b and re8.

Build and undercoated, could potentially get them painted quite quick if I rip out my airbrush.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 23 2019, 11:25 AM
Post #3

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Thanks mate. Much appreciate. Keen to see those three planes in the actual, especially the f2b. If you need some help detailing, happy to loan my paltry skills. But airbrush is the way to go these days, so I hear. Sorry for not replying rapidly but I've been distracted elsewhere.

Apologies. I can confirm that I will definitely be running the Canvas Eagle public participation at BRISCON this year. If you have a hankering for vroom-ing about with 1:72 WW1 aircraft like Biggles, by all means join in the eternal melee. Goggles are optional too! armata_PDT_34.gif

This post has been edited by b20f08: Mar 23 2019, 11:22 AM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 30 2019, 08:29 AM
Post #4

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

This public participation game is still a goer. It's NOT a demo game. Oh no! You actually "adopt" a plane, set up, mark down your moves on the aircraft profile sheet, dice to see which side moves first, and then start. You maneouvre until able to draw a bead on an opponent, and the fun factor tempo increases. You never know; you may come away with a "kill". Or end up being outmaneouvred. Or worse, ganged up by other "enemy" aircraft.

Don't worry; if you get shot down, destroyed mid-air, or forced to hightail it from the battle zone, you will respawn at a pre-designated location. And resume your efforts or change your tactics.

Whether there is one or ten people, the game will be endless and continuous.

Prizes? None apart from a free copy of the rules (for those who actually participate), enjoying the knowledge and experience of learning what is a really fun game.

Someone gets to fly the Handley Page bomber (if they want the chance)! The bomber presents its own challenges for any gamer. Three MGs should be suffice to deal with nippy annoying enemy fighters, right? We'll see.

Period: Late War (1917 onwards) only. Planes will have improved from the Early War period considerably. Thus it's unfair to field Early War planes against their Late War counterparts. It also makes for a faster game.

The public participation game will be run Saturday only. So make sure you book time to pop over and have a go! Or just say hello. Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Mar 30 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,512

Can confirm I have the pfalz Diii, RE8 and F2B. Ill PM you details so I can get them to you before the event (ssince im sure I'll be running around late trying to get my life sorted on the day.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Mar 31 2019, 08:30 AM
Post #6

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ronin @ Mar 30 2019, 10:06 PM) *

Can confirm I have the pfalz Diii, RE8 and F2B. Ill PM you details so I can get them to you before the event (ssince im sure I'll be running around late trying to get my life sorted on the day.

Thanks. Replied.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Apr 17 2019, 08:09 AM
Post #7

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Just a friendly reminder and shout-out that I will be running a public participation game at this year's BrisCon. Saturday, 27 April. All day. Allies vs Central Powers.

If you like diving off the deep end, then pop in and have an easy game (or two) with 1/72 aircraft from the First World War. Game play is quite easy to pick up. A quick briefing intro and then you're off gallivanting in the clear blue skies. Very soon you will be zooming about on the table engaged in earnest dogfighting.

The event will be a modified version of the Fluid game which is just continuous dog-fighting for a set period.

Aircraft shot down, destroyed or forced off-table respawn at specific hex location (there will be six per side). Roll 1d6 to determine return hex.

Respawning is simple: aircraft rolls 1d6. If score is 1-4, aircraft will return in 2 turns; 5-6, aircraft return in 3 turns! When returning, place aircraft in return hex in the turn prior to respawning. This is done to give those playing notice that an aircraft is returning to the game. biggrin.gif

Basic day is planned with active Fluid games lasting 2 hours with a resonable break between games.

People may join/leave any time providing planes are available. Rule is first-in, first-serve.

Choose wisely as players are not allowed to switch allegiances during the game.

Period will be Late War (combat aircraft that were active from Jan 1917 onward). The Allies will be fully multi-international with English, Australian, Italian, Belgian, American. Central Powers, meanwhile, will be all-German.

Both sides will field up to nine (9) planes each. Each plane will be different from one another with the majority based on historical aircraft.

All aircraft are either single, or dual-seater fighter/fighter bombers. Exception is the Handley Page which is a heavy bomber and normally crewed by 4 in this game. Whoever opts to use the Handley needs to keep close tabs on crew losses.

Game will be played on a hexed mat table.

All participants will be deemed novice. Therefore, no tailing or restricted maneouvres allowed.

I will oversee and referee game play.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Apr 17 2019, 08:10 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
kendar
post Apr 18 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,833

Damn - Wish I could be there.

Make sure you take some photos of the action.

Good Luck

+Quote Post
b20f08
post Apr 19 2019, 08:26 AM
Post #9

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

QUOTE(kendar @ Apr 18 2019, 06:42 PM) *
Make sure you take some photos of the action.
Will do. armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2019 - 08:55 PM