> 1K points of 1K Sons, 8th Edition List
Hapless Peon
post Jun 6 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Wyrd Henchman

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 7,498

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc
- Inferno Bolt Pistol and Force Stave - 120 (15)

Exalted Sorcerer
- Inferno Bolt Pistol and Force Stave - 86 (15)

9 Rubric Marines
- Inferno Boltguns, Soulreaper Cannon, Warpflamer and Icon of Flame 162 (59)
Aspiring Sorcerer
- Inferno Bolt Pistol and Force Stave - 30 (15)

10 Tzaangors
- Autopistols, Chainswords, Icon of Flame and Instrument of Chaos - 70 (10)

10 Tzaangors
- Autopistols, Chainswords, Icon of Flame and Instrument of Chaos - 70 (10)

4 Scarab Occult Terminators
- Inferno Combi-bolters, Power Swords, Soulreaper Cannon, Helfyre Missile Rack - 132 (67)
Scarab Occult Sorcerer
- Inferno Combi-bolter and Force Stave - 50 (17)

Chaos Rhino
- Combi-bolter - 70 (2)

Total - 1000

This is the list I'm going to build up to with the launch of 8th Edition. Everything is theory at this point so nothing is optimised.

I'm not convinced about the worth of the Icon's of Flame, 10 points to do a Mortal Wound on a 6+ seems a little meh when that could be spent on more bodies.

Rhino's seem pricey and while I understand they are fairly resilient I'm going to be interested to see if they are good delivery systems. Might be better to spend that on more Tzaangors or something else like a Helbrute.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iz.hans.iz.good
post Jun 7 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,579

how do you know how many points things are worth?
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jun 7 2017, 11:37 AM
Post #3

Paintmaster Mod

Member No.: 3

There are preview copies of the five Index books in most stores now - there have also been a bunch of photos circulating online for the last week.

--------------------
[www.morsla.net] [WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Jun 7 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Wyrd Henchman

QUOTE(morsla @ Jun 7 2017, 11:37 AM) *

There are preview copies of the five Index books in most stores now - there have also been a bunch of photos circulating online for the last week.

This.

Some of the more sleazy parts of the web that aren't our Mos Eisley Spaceport had them posted up.

I've got legit copies on the way but this tides me over until then.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jun 7 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 446

with 7 deploys you wont often go first at 1000pts. (I am trying to get to 8 deploys in 2000 points wink.gif with split fire and split assaults larger units will not be as big a draw back as they were in previous editions.).

you might have to adopt a fairly defensive deployment. Use you tzngors to perimeter your expensive stuff and be prepared to throw your rhino away. for cover/to absorb overwatch int he early game.
Tz's additional penetration on average weapons should help you put things down early. so concentrate your fire and then thow tzngors infront of the things that then get thru.

It has enough tools to do OK in 1000points but you might want to stick to powerpoints and narrative until you work out the kinks and decide which weapons are more useful.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jun 7 2017, 05:11 PM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Jun 7 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #6

Wyrd Henchman

So less deploys is considered more important than Command Points? I hadn't really considered that. In that case I'd probably combine the two Tzaangor units into a single horde and keep the Terminators for teleport deployment. So with the Rubrics in the Rhino, I'm looking at 4 drops - would that work better?

I'm also thinking drop the Tzaangor Icons for a Havoc Launcher and a combi-flamer for the Rhino so it gets more use than just a taxi.

I don't really want to use Power points too much as I feel it will give a distorted view on how good a unit is. Take the Rubrics as an example - I could take a maxed out 10 man squad with Warpflamers on every marine and it would cost more than 150% of the base squad's cost. I'm going to try a whole heap of things out but as long as the core is solid I'll press on.

Cheers for the thoughts and comments.

edit: Not sure how this would fly but it seems okay-ish. Keep 20 points free for summoning, summon 10 pairs of Brimstone Horrors in on a 5+ using the 20 points, use the Horrors to cast Smite each turn, Profit.

Sure you lose one each cast and you can only throw 1 dice at it but it's only 2 points per model.

This post has been edited by Hapless Peon: Jun 7 2017, 06:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jun 7 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #7

So less deploys is considered more important than Command Points?
first to finish deploying get to choose to go first or second.

I think the 9"-12" alphastike shooting lists will become the norm. so going second will become extremely painful alot of the time.

Command points will be usefull but not game breaking. Well nothing we have seen so far is but that might change. If you watch the CP talk the designers gave it indicates they will use them to do the more 1 off tactical things they want to incorporate that are not meant to be a use all game thing. So as the codex come out we might see 4-8? pt Command Point abilities etc that might be more devastating/ list changing/etc.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jun 7 2017, 06:35 PM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
zed
post Jun 8 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 771

QUOTE(Blackhearts Reaver @ Jun 7 2017, 06:34 PM) *

first to finish deploying get to choose to go first or second.

I think the 9"-12" alphastike shooting lists will become the norm. so going second will become extremely painful alot of the time.

I think there will be a few common builds
  • alphastrike as per above
  • Units in vehicles to limit the number of deployments
  • Big unit lists with cheap units being used for assault screening (put them up to 18" out to limit the locations where you can deepstrike/drop pod.

--------------------
"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered.
We few, we Band of Brothers.
For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
- William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jun 8 2017, 09:55 AM
Post #9

2+ armour and What was effectively arm14 (now generally T8 2+ or 3+ armour and 14+wds) will become popular.

so -3 to -5 ap (1d6 damage) will become essential, Or a lot of -1 -2 with constant damage (preferrably 3 damage .>>> the starcanon factory is open for business again) smile.gif

In 8th ed you will not be able to stop the alphastrike damage. It is now the opposite of 5-7th ed variation, scatter, randomness, bad rolls reserves.. etc.

In 8th ed you get what you paid for. It does it damage reliably and you will need to understand how to trade units well to win objectives or kill more of the enemy than they are killing of yours. Holding objectives is also by model count so having too many Imperial knights, hv vehicles and points hv single models will leave you at a disadvantage in late game. wink.gif also fearless/ Ld Morale mitigating armies will have the scales tilted in their direction as well.

Bubble wrap units only need to keep the [Deploy anywhere units up to 9" away] out of rapidfire rg, melta short rg and screen assaults (eg 12" to your good units). That is all you will be able to mitigate. If you spend to much on bubble wrap you will lose to the dedicated assault/ firepower lists that have no bubble wrap units and are bent on your destruction. I would say if your bubblewrap is fairly ineffectual (eg grots, kroot, guard conscripts etc) keep then to the minimum say 6-12% (as a basic rule of thumb) of total points max depending on their usefulness.

There are even things like sniper rifles / Death leaper/etc that will delete characters in Turn 1... so i would not be making list that rely on key characters or characters abilities (unless they have decent wounds, 2+ and 3++, well a 4++ might do).>> they are a nice bonus but should not be essential to your game plan.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Jun 8 2017, 10:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Jun 8 2017, 10:32 AM
Post #10

Wyrd Henchman

I was thinking about the wording of deployment in particular to reserves and transports and it makes me wonder about the value of transports versus the various deep strike mechanics.

For example the Scarab Occult Terminators, "During Deployment, you can set up this unit in a teleportarium chamber." This, to me, says that you still have to take a deployment drop to state this.

Transports are different in the the wording is, "When you set up a transport, units can start the battle embarked within it instead of being set up separately - declare what units are embarked inside the transport when you set it up." This does appear to reduce the number of drops your army takes.

In a defensive list, deep strike is better as the unit is not on the table and so can't be attacked, on the down side a horde army can restrict your drop options by limiting where you can set up outside of 9"

In an offensive list the transport is better as it reduces the number of deployments you make, giving you a better chance of first turn but your troops are more vulnerable to having their ride destroyed and harming them.

This might have been obvious to others but for some reason I had assumed that units starting off the table were not counted when deploying.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jun 8 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #11

that will hopefully be in errata or FaQ.

the flipside is if things in teleport chambers count as "Deployment declaration" and you keep say 7 out of 14 deploys off table you can make a less canny player have to deploy on table 6 units before you have to start actually putting things on table...

wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 09:33 PM