Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wizkids unpainted D&D models
Mango
post Mar 21 2017, 08:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 84

I heard about these a little while ago and dismissed it as I thought the price point would be high but this morning a local store advertised them at $6.95!!!

So I had a look and some boosters have 2-4 models in them which started to sound too good to be true, maybe they are very small scale. but after looking a the Wizkids site which details the base sizes for the models they seem to be GW scale.

Maybe they are going to be crappy platic or something but at that price point I feel like at least buying a troll and the male barbarians and given them a go

http://wizkids.com/dnd-unpainted/
http://wizkids.com/deep-cuts-unpainted/

This post has been edited by Mango: Mar 24 2017, 06:40 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Strobe
post Mar 21 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,234

They look pretty cool. I'm interested to see what they are made of as well.

--------------------
Siege the Hills - A Warmahordes club based in Epping, Sydney, Australia (Website | Facebook) Terrain for Journeyman - Terrain and Tables for Journeyman League 2015
+Quote Post
Mousemuffins
post Mar 21 2017, 09:05 AM
Post #3

Braaaaaiiinnnnss

Member No.: 2,278

Oh. they're better than expected. Female halfling is nice. Complete lack of gnomes is a bit saddening.
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 21 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,481

Some of the sculpts look pretty cool. Could definitely be worth a look at the finished product, especially at the price Mango quoted.
+Quote Post
Borzag
post Mar 21 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #5

BORZAG 2.0
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 177

Are photos of these available yet? The unpainted renders are nice but would like to see the finished detail.

--------------------
QUOTE(Bajau @ Nov 14 2007, 06:56 PM) *
Mate I'll pay MONEY to sit there and watch Jose get Whupped..Never seen someone lose which such style!
QUOTE(Big_al @ Nov 3 2008, 08:46 PM) *
The first rule about fight club is that you have to fight borzag
QUOTE(Wombats @ Aug 8 2012, 11:00 AM) *
Excuse me, I need to go change into tighter pants, there are some people in a ten mile radious who do not have intimate knowledge of my junk.
QUOTE(Borzag @ May 3 2013, 09:21 PM) *
it's now gotten to the point where I have a Pavlovian montage response: if montage music plays, I lift and/or burpees
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 24 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Picked up the troll and human barbarians today. there are some more similar style models in another range (pathfinder paizo minis link added to OP) exactly the same just different cardboard backing.

The models are already undercoated which surprised me, i was expecting to wash and undercoat myself but looks like you can paint straight out of the pack.

Some minor mould lines, the plastic is reasonably firm. the troll fingers are quite hard to bend but the barbarian weapons are alot softer and more like the old prepainted d&d models.

Hopefully might be able to get some paint on these tonight and post some size comparison pics.

This post has been edited by Mango: Mar 24 2017, 06:40 PM
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 25 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #7

OK I finished the troll, details are a bit rounded and soft but its hard to complain at that price point. (Note - I didnt use the 50mm round base that came with the model, he is based on a 50mm square base)

The models are what i would call 'board game quality', great models for D&D or something like frostgrave where you want as many enemies/creatures for your buck as possible.

For dedicated miniatures games i think it is better to spend a little extra for better quality or spend some time stripping 2nd hand metals and repainting.

The value for me is really in the larger models $7 for a large troll, giant spider, displacer beast etc I think is great value. The character models have alot of detail (which i dont like but many would) but it is quite soft and with some inconvienient mold lines (one of the barbarians has a mold line going east/west across his face, I would rather buy metals.

Anyways, thats my thoughts. I will be buying more but sticking to the larger creatures i think.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Mango: Mar 25 2017, 05:32 PM
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Mar 26 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #8

Combat Simian

Member No.: 12,758

QUOTE(Mango @ Mar 25 2017, 05:31 PM) *
The models are what i would call 'board game quality', great models for D&D or something like frostgrave where you want as many enemies/creatures for your buck as possible.

100% this finding reasonably priced 28mm minis for use as 'encounter/random rolled up' creatures in a game like frost grave can be trying at best so a slightly lesser detailed but but competitively priced is a total win.

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 26 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #9

Hopefully they have more creature orientated wave 2/3/4 etc. At that price point I would certainly be happy to build up a varied collection of monsters etc
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 28 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #10

I was over in Melbourne for the weekend and saw these at Mind Games. I picked up a couple of packs as, for $7 for 2 minis, they seemed worth a go.
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 30 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #11

I should also mention that the D&D line and the Pathfinder line looked almost identical in terms of sculpt quality, etc. Unsurprising when they are both being made by the same manufacturer, just for different companies.

This post has been edited by Olaf the Stout: Mar 30 2017, 03:49 PM
+Quote Post
Borzag
post Apr 4 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #12

BORZAG 2.0
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 177

Another request for a comparison shot, this time vs Reaper Bones if anyone has experience with them?

--------------------
QUOTE(Bajau @ Nov 14 2007, 06:56 PM) *
Mate I'll pay MONEY to sit there and watch Jose get Whupped..Never seen someone lose which such style!
QUOTE(Big_al @ Nov 3 2008, 08:46 PM) *
The first rule about fight club is that you have to fight borzag
QUOTE(Wombats @ Aug 8 2012, 11:00 AM) *
Excuse me, I need to go change into tighter pants, there are some people in a ten mile radious who do not have intimate knowledge of my junk.
QUOTE(Borzag @ May 3 2013, 09:21 PM) *
it's now gotten to the point where I have a Pavlovian montage response: if montage music plays, I lift and/or burpees
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 05:58 PM