Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Well, another tournie down., A very tiring weekend but 5 great games!
Lonestar
post Feb 22 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,213

Hi All.

First up, A big thankyou to the Adept crew for running this tournament. It is hard work to mount an event of this size, but you have pulled it off nicely, kudos to you all.

Then I would like to thank all my oponents for 5 great games! Even poor Shane with his awesomely bad dice rolls! wink.gif One game I got hammered, by guard of all things (my daemons just couldn't keep up with all those bodies being thrown at them, wave after wave etc) just beating a hoard ork army (by objectives no doubt, draw otherwise) and simply hammering marines and eldar into submission!

Coming first overall is simply awesome! Just like the prize support from GW! Thank's Guys! armata_PDT_37.gif

Afew things for the future. (and this is from a 40k view only as I have no idea about the other games)

I know this is your second tournament, so please take these as aids from my point of view.

Terrain, you guys have done an amazing job (the last 6 months? ) of putting that much terrain out there! Simply a HUGE effort, but for true line of sight rules (as we have now) you will need to generate probably one (maybe even 2) LoS blockers for each table, just to break it up and make the games more tactical.

Missions, play testing. Test each mission within the club setting but under tournament conditions, work out what works and what doesnt, try to make missions either work as the rule books 5th ed missions with all thier conditions etc all worked out before the tournie is running.

Scoring system, keep it simple but make it work giving a larger range in scores, +1 BP for each 100 VP's difference is just too much. It really doesn't encourage players to manuver around the table, just sit and shoot and maybe move up to capture an objective or 2. Have bonuses for killing the enemy commander, killing most expencive squad, getting in other Dzone etc, something to encourage people to do things. Instead of just a VP harvest.

On the score sheets, have the bonuses thier so players (who have just played a hard fought match) doesn't have to search through thier players packs to find (I never got one, so that left me in the dark).

The sports and comp sheets were awesome! No worries thier at all! With all the information thier on the sheet.

FAQ, there are just about always, problem's with people's interpritation of the rules, it just help's everyone out for those "grey area's".

This one came up, if you are running a juniors event as well with an age limit (under 16 for example) put all players of that age group in. They are playing with others of roughly the same skill set, so it won't dissadvantage them during the tournament.

Time. Once a time limit or start time is set, stick to it. If the games are starting to run long, (getting close to time) give them a 1/2 hour warning, etc. But once the time is up, stop the game(s) straight away, this affects us all. A lunch hour would be great to as it gives everyone time to have a break, chat, check scores (for the TO) and eat. Once again, a set time, and stick to it.

Painting, well the judging of it. If a player's choice is being run and TO painting is being conducted, use the time to do both at the same time, setting un army up twice on the same day was wasteful.

But these are just my observations, take them or leave them, it's up to you. It was still a fun tournie, and it was your second one and I know how hard they are to run! armata_PDT_37.gif

--------------------
"Don't bully because you end up getting hurt bad." - The Rat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iaphyr
post Feb 22 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #2

That's what she said

Member No.: 4,439

Well, I played in Fantasy, but similar thoughts here. Thanks for the good tourney and well done to all the winners (and your welcome to my sports vote Rowan tongue.gif).

RE: judge painting - you don't need to see the army all set up, TO's can easily just cruise around while the games are going on and ascertain the painting level just by looking at a few models as nearly everyone has the same paint quality across there army (unpainted mini's are easy to spot when they're not).

RE time: agreed. you can even do the first round draw in advance, so that people know where to go and pull out their army's - if people don't have opponents after 20 or so minutes just repair the loose people and have late arrivals pl;ace each other. Also, get Overlord - it's a great program that will make you're life a lot easier! I dunno where you got the NTS program but I know it's a real pain to use, and if you used a 1 - 5 scoring system for soft scores instead of the check box method your data entry entry people will appreciate it greatly!

all in all, it was very well done, considering what I'm guessing was a bigger than expected turnout. good stuff to see that GW are still handing out prize support too...

Edit - Ooh I thought of another thing! - It wasn't so much of a problem in Fantasy but I noticed in the 40K event there was a fair bit of stinky edam floating around in the armies. I thought that there was some form of comp to limit that or something (the troops for every other unit or something) in the players pack that definitly wasn't being adhered to in the armies on the tables, dunno what's going on there...

This post has been edited by iaphyr: Feb 22 2009, 08:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Shaggy
post Feb 23 2009, 05:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,725

Kudos and congrats on the super win Scott. armata_PDT_37.gif

Despite my shizen dice rolls I did have a good time playing your evil list. Whatever voodoo curse you brewed up on my dice worked a real treat.

+Quote Post
Lonestar
post Feb 23 2009, 06:58 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,213

QUOTE(Shaggy @ Feb 23 2009, 06:17 AM) *

Kudos and congrats on the super win Scott. armata_PDT_37.gif

Despite my shizen dice rolls I did have a good time playing your evil list. Whatever voodoo curse you brewed up on my dice worked a real treat.

Voodoo curse?

It was a Voodoo blood curse! wink.gif

Yeah, it was a funny win, some would say that "Eldrad and the Avatar are pussies", some would say that.... wink.gif

--------------------
"Don't bully because you end up getting hurt bad." - The Rat
+Quote Post
Coffin
post Feb 23 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,901

Hey Guys,

One correction, this isnt our 2nd tourny, its actually our 4th. The first two were very small tho ^^.

We had a hard slog getting the terrain you guys saw there onto the table. With every edition, terrain has to change to make it play well. We made a bunch of craters and some roads to break it up a bit, but we didnt get time to do all the barricades we had planned.

I can't really comment on the missions, i've played a couple of 5th ed. games and wasnt running 40k. We will have a post CotT meeting sometime soon to discuss how it all went down.

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys. Without it we'd never be able to improve, but we've taken it on-board and its helped in the past.

thanks again for all attending,

Tech Magus Alex Lewis (woot!! promotion)
+Quote Post
Brother Tual
post Feb 23 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,688

Well done guys... fun tourney - Thanks to the guys I played against - each game was played well and each game had that 'special' moment that made it great - Biggy and his hoard of 6's, Tim and his missing meltaguns - 13 wound Nob vs Ironclad - hazzah ironclad! My double ones for assault with I 5 GKT into a heavily wounded Daemon prince - and Spanky - Player 7, on the 7th day of the week with every single flamer template hitting 7 models every time... un-canny

I was happy with the set limits of the tourney - I go to a tourney to play hard list commanded by good players - I enjoy a friendly game with 'gummy' lists (shane) but isnt that what gaming clubs are for?

+1 BP for each 100 VP's difference is just too much
hmm - I thought you got one bonus point for every 300 VPs... oh well -

--------------------
I am not alone because the TV is on - and also im a nob head
+Quote Post
seanzala
post Feb 23 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,778

Well run. I know I could just say this at the club but for next year, scrap the scenarios for fantasy. Well, the first two were fine but the second one should either go, or just make it that quarters are worth 150pts instead of 100.
+Quote Post
Shaggy
post Feb 23 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,725

QUOTE(Brother Tual @ Feb 23 2009, 06:05 PM) *

Well done guys... fun tourney - Thanks to the guys I played against - each game was played well and each game had that 'special' moment that made it great - Biggy and his hoard of 6's, Tim and his missing meltaguns - 13 wound Nob vs Ironclad - hazzah ironclad! My double ones for assault with I 5 GKT into a heavily wounded Daemon prince - and Spanky - Player 7, on the 7th day of the week with every single flamer template hitting 7 models every time... un-canny

I was happy with the set limits of the tourney - I go to a tourney to play hard list commanded by good players - I enjoy a friendly game with 'gummy' lists (shane) but isnt that what gaming clubs are for?

hmm - I thought you got one bonus point for every 300 VPs... oh well -

I saw this one a mile away, man my sides are hurting from the laughter dry.gif

Still it's 50 / 50 for our friendlies despite your cheat dice armata_PDT_11.gif
+Quote Post
JPM
post Feb 23 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,068

QUOTE(seanzala @ Feb 23 2009, 06:11 PM) *
Well run. I know I could just say this at the club but for next year, scrap the scenarios for fantasy. Well, the first two were fine but the second one should either go, or just make it that quarters are worth 150pts instead of 100.

Already spoken to Felton about it and that scenario is gone the way of the Dodo, Dinosaurs and the Australian cricket team.

Having the data entry team, hospitality and table moving student teams was fantastic. The CTA COTT team did a fantastic job.
+Quote Post
Theodore
post Feb 23 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,470

All we need to top off a great event then, would be results

/forms an orderly queue.

Thanks again for the weekend to the CotT team, and yeah, I'm glad the scenario has gone away too, even then, it wasn't as bad a scenario as I thought it would be before hand.

-Theo

--------------------
QUOTE(Sithspawn regarding Simon Hall @ May 13 2010, 04:18 PM) *

that guy would struggle to bench press a toblerone
+Quote Post
sanguinary lord
post Feb 23 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,750

Thanks again from us who played Aeronautica Imperialis.
Much of what has been said above goes for us too but overall it was a great day. Alex made time to sit down and speak to us about ways to improve the tournament and I have absolute faith that next time will be bigger better and more organised. Kudos all round!

This post has been edited by sanguinary lord: Feb 23 2009, 09:06 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 04:56 PM