> Arc40k 2015 Feedback
Fuggorf
post Feb 3 2015, 02:25 PM
Post #1

Not the hero Gotham deserves
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 3,749

Hey guys. This year we're striking while the iron is hot with regards to feedback. We want to know what you liked, or perhaps didn't, about the event. Like last year, to help us collate things we'd love people to try and put their comments under the following headings:

Venue Feedback
Catering Feedback
Mission Feedback
Scoring System Feedback
Painting Feedback
Stage, screen and "show" Feedback
Other Feedback

--------------------
Fuggorf's Hit List:

Mitch Wragg

Yeah that's right Ben, I said you were right. ON THE INTERNET ohmy.gif!

My moderator voice is rainbow
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jimjimjimmyjim
post Feb 3 2015, 03:29 PM
Post #2

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11,099

I will have a crack at it all in one go.

Venue feedback:
It was great, noticed this year someone wedged the men's toilet door open so the smell didnt build up in there, as the room is poorly ventilated. The only query I have is whether there was a reson the LotR guys had the cafeteria space as I felt had about walking through their area to eat outside as many of their games appeared to still be in process.

Catering:
I can't say anything here as I couldn't eat any food offered due to personal food allergies, nor do I expect you to be able to cater to my dietary requirements. I will say it was good to have more variety of sugar free drink alternatives tho smile.gif

Mission feedback:
I enjoyed them all, I felt last year some missions were quite unachievable, with the turn 3 bonus points, but I thoughts it was pretty awesome overall this year. I had hoped to play a maelstrom map on the last session of the weekend but kill points were fine as well.

Scoring system feedback:
Brilliant idea, I hope something like this becomes more standard in events to come, still feels like there were some bugs, as on day 2 my phone kept logging me on as someone else half way thru scoring my own points, either that or it would take an excessively long time for the page to load, probably due to the sheer amount of users simultaneously using it.

Painting feedback:
I didnt really feel anyone really had much interest in what I had to say about my models or the work I had done on them, I was told I would see my painting scores posted up on the second day but no one appeared to do this. I was disappointed as this was an army I had been working on for most of the year purely for this event. To this moment I still have no idea what my score is/was?

Stage, screen, "show":
Big improvement from last year, didnt seem to take long at all to describe missions so we could get playing. The curtains needed to be closed or lights turned off especially when painting awards were being drawn out as it was really hard to see how great ppls work was with so much light saturation on the screen, this was the same issue last year.

The music not being played so loud was great, but announcements and descriptions of scenarios were way too loud, as there are speakers all over the place in the hall you really don't need to speak so loud or have the gains so high on the mics.

Also when doing the 15min warning and playing loud music actually would cause games to slow down as you were suddenly competing with the sound of the music and I often found myself yelling at my opponent which I hope didnt discredit me sports wise at all.

Other feedback:
Match ups sounded a bit off to me, by my 4th game I had won every game and my opponent had only won one, and lost 3, my next was similar and my last was 3 wins and 2 losses. I felt I was being matched up unfairly for my opponents as they all seemed to have significant losses and I had none! Made me wonder why it was tooled this way?

Also it seems to be a theme that a handful of the same players seems to be in the arc top ten each year, I was wondering what were to happen if the top 10 or nearest too this amount would be seeded against each other in the following year for the first round or 2? Just an idea....

Also a friend of mine was not mentioned for his 5th tour in a row which he found upsetting.

Another thing that occurs to me, is when asking for any questions after the briefing of the scenario it would probably be better to leave it on the mission briefing slide instead of the "any questions?" Slide as I was still rereading the beefing and had no idea what to ask about. Which was often frustrating.

Also one last thing was, the announcements at the start were a real buzz kill, I had really hoped to get going cos I was really pumped but after that I was struggling to stay awake. Can these announcement be broken up or talked about before prizes are handed out or something?

That's all I can think of, I really appreciated everything that was improved upon from last years running, the judges, TOs and contributors to the event were incredible smile.gif

This post has been edited by jimjimjimmyjim: Feb 4 2015, 08:05 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TNG
post Feb 3 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #3

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,696

Venue:
Bit tight. I knocked a bit of terrain off a table because I didn't realise how little room I had, and took some poor fellas army with it.
I felt like the tables could have been moved into the empty space up the front giving us more room while we play. We can move the tables before the presentations.
But it is still a good venue. The weather helped.

Also hammer and anvil on the sandwiched tables...argh I hate it.

Catering:
There was nothing left on the Saturday by the time I made it through the line at the BBQ. I didn't even try on Sunday.

Missions:
They were all fun, and I enjoyed them. However the 3rd round was a bit too complicated. I rushed reading it because I knew how little time we had to get our game in. It was at about turn 4 I realised that I picked the wrong mission from the table. Those kinds of missions can lead to be a bit more frustrating rather than fun. Also it was on hammer and anvil.
But I still felt like it was a great mission to have. I think the only problem I had was the time limit for the rounds. Dice don't get rolled when you and your opponent have that much fun and start laughing.

Scoring system:
I think First blood, warlord and line breaker should contribute to victory instead of bonus points. But it didn't bother me knowing that before going into the game.
It was really good, Thumbs up.

Painting:
I'd like my judges to give me more than 10 seconds attention. They came to my table, asked about my theme, picked up a couple of models, nodded to each other and walked away. Seriously 10 seconds, that's all.
I didn't have a chance to get my full conversions and green stuffed models out of my case before they walked away.
That needs addressing before next year.

Stage, screen, and show:
Leave it alone. The videos wasted time, the rounds were short enough already and I felt like another 10 minutes of game time is more important than screwing around with a scene from a movie we've all seen before. It was unnecessary and did not add enjoyment to the weekend.

Other feedback:
Centre stage was a great idea. Thought it was hilarious. Keep that up.

Round draw: It's no secret something went wrong. Those who won found their opponents armies getting weaker. I don't think I played a person with anywhere near as many wins as I did. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel bad for them, if it was the other way around I'd feel pretty crap too.

Allies: I felt a bit limited by the Arc forged army. I like the idea behind it, but allies is part of the game now and in some cases should be encouraged. Maybe my inquisition and grey knights will hit the table next year.

Paint: Needs reiterating, seriously that was crap and I felt insulted.

This post has been edited by TNG: Feb 3 2015, 03:47 PM
+Quote Post
Tuned
post Feb 3 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,933

So to break it down under titles like you have there, here we go.

Venue:
Remains awesome, lots of parking and suitable amount of space as well as lots of toilets and areas to 'get away' from the action and chill after your game.

Catering:
Only purchased BBQ ticket on first day and waited a long time for food, ended up leaving to go get food somewhere else since I wasnt confident I'd eat before the next round, I don't necessarily have any feedback for this but just making the issue known.

Missions:
Missions were really good, vanguard deployment is always frustrating which I'm sure you guys know form the groans in the crowd.
My sggestion would be now that it's no longer just troops scoring look at some of the old 3rd and 4th ed deployments and missions for a little variety such as holding table quarters or corner deployments, gives the vets something to be nostalgic over and the newer plays a chance to experience previous generations of 40k.

Scoring:
Seemed to work great, obviously you wanted to do a big unveiling curtain for arcscore.com but a bit of heads up would have been appreciated, that said I think the data entry seemed to work fantastically and aside from the obvious round draw issues that were experienced it's a huge step in the right direction, I spoke with Dan about this a fair bit on Saturday evening.

Painting:
My biggest feedback about painting is I would like feedback about painting, in previous years and at most tournaments judges go through the army with you looking for freehand and asking if there's any miniatures that stand out, squad markings etc. This year there was a small talk about theme while a silent ninja observer stalked about the table and marked painting, and as quietly and mysteriously as they had appeared they vanished again with no comment about what they like and suggestions on where to improve or what points we missed and how best to get them.
I would have loved some feedback on my painting and conversions as this was the primary focus o the army I took, whilst I was rewarded by 2nd players choice for my efforts as well as many people saying how much they loved the army a bit of communication would have gone a long way, especially for newer players who don't know what direction to take to improving their painting.

Stage:
Was fine, only criticism would be to turn the music and mic down a little especially at the 15 minute mark, it's hard enough to hear your opponent with 74 other games going on but when you are wrapping up last few turns and the constant announcements and blurts of music drown out you and your opponent those last crucial turns of shooting and assault can determine the result of the game, if you are repeating yourself and battling to be heard it just adds further strain to an already tense moment in a game, also trying to work out scoring whilst Iron Maiden is blaring sounds cool but its really ######ing hard to do.

Other Feedback:
This is not based on any fact or anything someone has said to me, but discussions after the event had a few of us feeling like the removal of peer comp meant that some people used sportsmanship scores to reflect their opponents armies, which in my opinion is not what sportsmanship is but I guess that could use some clarification.
+Quote Post
Durkah
post Feb 3 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #5

Broken Badass

Member No.: 6,267

Venue Feedback

Great venue. Lots of "ventilation" which is a big thing with this many people in a small space. Side spots for our sponsors was also good. I feel the point we lacked was that there was really no room between the the rows of tables. Use up some more of the space at the front & upstairs. Centre stage was really cool, but had so much unused space around it.

Catering Feedback

I won't lie, sausages were good, hamburgers not so much. Pretty hard to bugger up sausages. But cheap burgers ruin the entire thing. And give me massive stomach pains. I had someone buy lunch for me day 1 as I was still playing a game and I wish I had gone to somewhere down the road. Lines for lunch were massive as well, I suggest using more people to sell lunch or make it available before game 1 so some people can buy lunch before the first game of the day. Maybe also sell things like sandwhichs / rolls. Basic ones with ham lettuce cheese tomato etc. Some fruit?

Mission Feedback
Good missions. I did enjoy them. As Jacob said, the turn 3 VP was much more achievable this year I thought as well. Total victory was harder too. Which is good to see. Also really started enjoying maelstorm missions, which is great for balancing reasons. My biggest gripe about the missions was you had every special rule for them BAR mysterious objectives. With the reduction of fortifications & lots of armies still lacking anti flyers it makes it hard to combat. I played 2 games that I didn't vs a flyer. Every other game I just had to watch them run circles around my army eating it. From Flying MC's to storm ravens or even DE void bombers. Not having a chance to even get the skyfire sucked. sad.gif Yes, I could have taken a space marine anti flyer vehicle. No I didn't as it didn't fit the fluff.

Scoring System Feedback
Not too keen on the fb/warlord/linebreaker being +1 and not effecting the game. Otherwise arcscore was amazing. Some warning would of been great, some people didn't have access or could not connect. But I enjoyed it despite it taking ages for the java script to work.

Painting Feedback
As per the other guys, I've spent two years making this army. It still isn't finished because I haven't finished two of the conversions... but in saying that, I don't think I will bother with them now. This year I had two judges come to my army, Stallard & a helper. They spent all of 30 seconds going over my army. Was asked if my army had conversions and that was it. I asked him before he walked away if he needed to see freehand or squad markings and was told nope. Didn't get a score and he simply walked to the next table to start scoring. Kinda disappointed. I was scored in round 1 too, during turn 1. Had my display board next to the table and all. I was trying to aim for a players choice or TO choice for painting, guess that did not work out either. I heard a lot of people asking where my army was, or where that army was etc during the day from people walking past tables near where I was playing. So it seems while you had 45 minutes allotted for the scoring of players choice, most of that was used for the speech at the start. Which then defeats the purpose. Also bringing back a first second third for players choice would be great if you are offering 1st 2nd 3rd prizes...

I understand lots of time went into it, but the show was too much. And the references very vague. Like the smith & smith CT game... Was very hard to see the videos as well, they put too much time on the round and as people have said would prefer the extra time.

Other Feedback
Removal of peer comp was good & bad. As Jamie said, I think people used sports to effect peoples comp.

I dislike a scoring system still is inherently designed to be doubled to achieve your "sports score". I think a 1-5 table, with 1 being I wanna hit them with a dreadsock and 5 being I was on my knees for my opponent. Then a tick box system of 5 points for obvious things like surfing, cheating, time wasting etc. This can help work out where people need to improve in too. Sure the game might not be enjoyable because your opponent wasn't jumping up and down with excitement every time you removed a model of his army. But did they cheat and were they rude? No. Then why give them a 5-7? That turns out to be a 10-14 out of 20.

Round Draw: We all know something was off. And in fact I think I got sports hit for such a game because my opponent was so annoyed that he had playing guys who had only wins under their belt when he should be playing lists that had other loses. Also this screws up the end of the field when you have 60 players not playing each other and only playing other people who have lost.

Centre stage was amazing. Maybe a live camera feed up on the projector screen would be awesome? That way even if you cannot see it, you can see whats going on? Birds eye view of the table?

Theme - would love to see other peoples theme especially the person who won it. Also, what exactly the TO's are after for theme / army lists. A few of the people I came with all thought they hit the nail on the head and until the scoring comes out we have no idea how we did in that aspect. So hard to comment.

--------------------
"Just wow" The new meta for getting banned on WAU. Lives claimed since November 2014: 2

QUOTE(esrun @ Feb 8 2012, 04:53 PM) *
DND = do not disturb

I always play this especially while fapping.

Anthony Z:

"I don't understand why you take morale tests from dangerous terrain. Did you see what that rock did to Jim, quick run"

"######e tourney... Better alternative to going is masturbating with sand paper"

QUOTE(Elliot.Yung @ May 12 2013, 09:23 PM) *
You know your rule knowledge is bad when Shaun Hogan is correcting you :P

QUOTE(JBrehaut @ Mar 18 2015, 10:30 AM) *
If you really knew how to pullout, you wouldn't need a babysitter
+Quote Post
omgnowaiii
post Feb 3 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,666

Venue Feedback

Great venue with heaps of room to move. Agree with what others have said about moving a bit more towards the front to give a tiny bit more space. Centre table was great, and playing on it was amazing especially considering it was hammer and anvil. Could rotate it 90 degrees and still have the same effect with a bit more room gained. Playing a hammer and anvil game in the middle of a 3 table row must have been difficult for a lot of people and I'm glad I didn't have to go through that.

Catering Feedback

Day 1 I purchased a burger and was slightly disappointed at the quality. Also I got in just before sausages ran out and buns started to run out as well. Seeing a long line of people waiting that would not receive what they purchased and not much time to find other things should be addressed before next year.

Mission Feedback

Missions were great. There was one mission that I noted if you went first, you could deny your opponent any hope of attaining total victory. I agree that it should be difficult to obtain a total victory, but not impossible. Other than that they were a good variety that made you think and play each game differently.
Also, as Durkah said, the removal of fortifications and people struggling to deal with fliers and flying MC, not having mysterious objectives was, I felt, a strange thing to do.

Scoring System Feedback

Arcscore was great. Not going to go on about pairing mix-ups as people have mentioned this a lot already.

Painting Feedback

Again I was asked a lot of questions about theme but nothing about painting. I know judges can see quality in things very well but it would be good to have a couple of questions asked as to why things are painted as they are or what extra effort has gone into them.

The show I feel runs on a bit. Movie scenes that have tenuous as best links to missions should be scrapped as they have been seen numerous times and what they add is minimal at best. Golden Barry awards dragged on far too long as we were clapping to congratulate people who were not there far too often when it could have been acknowledged and then move on.

Other Feedback

People need to sing less next year.
+Quote Post
downunderork
post Feb 3 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 186

Just some thoughts:

Venue Feedback
Tables were to close together, blokes trying to dry r...t you while your rolling dice now that's different!!!

Would love to see somewhere like the old Arc courtyard where tall stories and true could be exchanged, beer guzzled and insults traded apart from during each game.

Catering Grog Feedback
No beer wenches, not even table service need to lift our game here.

Mission Feedback
No dice wenches OMG what has happened to theme - where is Jimmy and Number 6 and Number 9!!!

Scoring System Feedback
Who needs scoring that's for those who can count above ten without taking off their shoes, just raffle off the places and donate the proceeds to AA we all need help or will.

Painting Feedback
Good to see some all nighters still crashing through - only a year to paint an army now that's a bit tight.

Some strippers Bible Reading would be nice.

Other Feedback
Please disregard all of the above I had a ball!!! tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Comrade
post Feb 3 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,176

Venue Feedback
As with last year, La Trobe was a fantastic place to have the tournament, words cannot express how much better it is over Collingwood. Plenty of parking, bathrooms were clean and spacious, the main hall didn't reek of sweat. A++

Catering Feedback
The food was barbeque obviously, and you got what you'd expect, at a reasonable price. I didn't feel that the system this year was any faster than last year when we didn't have to line up in two different places. Booze was excellent, especially when I had the bartender trained to pull out a Boags whenever he saw me coming.

Mission Feedback
A bit funkier than last year, which was nice. Mission three could've been explained better though, it took a few reads and a back and forth with my opponent to work it out properly.

Scoring System Feedback
I think the new system was a great idea, however people need forewarning, as for people with older phones, no data, or a device otherwise unable to access the site, scoring actually took longer. Also, please get arcscore.com unblocked from the wifi for next year.

Painting Feedback
I felt pretty jipped by the painting scoring method compared to past years. The judge I had didn't really ask anything, and only really looked at what I thrust into his hands, and left quite quickly. Previously, judges would look over the whole army for a bit, and then go through each criteria and ask what you'd done to achieve that, which was a much better, and prevented anything being forgotten, as the players don't have a copy of the criteria there to make sure we show the judges all relevant minis. Additionally, getting our paint scores right after judging would be nice, like we used to get.

Projector worked well for showing the missions, and deployment and all that. I don't think it's really necessary to watch cutscenes from Dawn of War. If you're gonna put up videos, make them relevant, and do them yourselves. Furthermore, I felt that something was missing at the start of Arc, the beheading of the teddy bear used to get people amped up and really officially kick things off. I get that the teddy bear was a WATT thing, but you could probably come up with your own thing to get things started.

Other Feedback
I preferred sitting down and eating in the cafeteria last year, the absence of which was particularly noted when we had rain this year. Can we not exile the LotR players back upstairs or something?

This post has been edited by Comrade: Feb 3 2015, 07:39 PM

--------------------
WAU's own capitalist-hating dirty Commie rat!

+Quote Post
Will_S
post Feb 3 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,786

Venue Feedback, Catering, Mission, Scoring System, Stage, screen and "show" Feedback
Other Feedback

No improvement from last in year in any of the above besides the scoring system. In fact most things got worse and seem more terrible for the fact that none of what we said has been taken on board. Compare this years thread to last years and it's pretty plain to see.

Painting
This was the most disappointing aspect of this year. Ark is supposed to be about showing of your pretties and having put so much time and effort into my army I really felt like the judges turned their noses up at it. Seriously struggling to justify putting in the effort for next year.

This post has been edited by Will_S: Feb 3 2015, 08:24 PM
+Quote Post
mjb
post Feb 3 2015, 10:39 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 79

Wow, a fair bit of mixed feedback there.

Going to full with the crowd here, I liked Arcscore...that was a big plus. Food....meh, would actually have been quicker to drive to Bunnings if I'd wanted a sausage, but that's life. Nice choice of cold beverages 👍. Missions were good, extra space between row has been covered. Centre Table could have been a really big wankfest except I got to play on it in Round 1 so that made it a frigging brilliant idea!!!

Paint judging was a real disappointment for me. "How did your Theme influence your painting?"...... WTF kind of bullsh!t question is that to be asked? I can't even remember whether they read my Theme or not. When I asked what the question meant I was told the example they had been given was dusty boots and dead Orks on the bases if your theme was fighting Orks on some famous dusty planet. That wasn't my theme, my theme was a mobile Ultramarine force, so I had mobile units and I painted them blue. As has been said by others there was no feedback of any kind given. I was asked about squad markings, character differentiation, unit selection and that was pretty much it. Easily the most underwhelming paint judging of the ten Arcs that I've played in.

Michael

--------------------
Realm of Legends
Shop 2, 190-198 Mt Dandenong Rd, Croydon VIC 3136
(Cnr Mt Dandenong Rd & Civic Square)
Ph. 03 8215 9344
www.realmoflegends.com.au
+Quote Post
Fuggorf
post Feb 3 2015, 10:54 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

How did your Theme influence your painting?

That would have been the theme scoring that went on at the same time as paint scoring. The player pack explained what that was all about.

--------------------
Fuggorf's Hit List:

Mitch Wragg

+Quote Post
Fuggorf
post Feb 3 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

I guess one comment I would make on paint scoring is that feedback from previous years indicated that people felt paint judges spent too much time talking to people to the detriment of getting games finished. As such, this year we put a big emphasis on speed at the expense of chatter.

If it's made paint judging frustrating, and the solution is to spend more time talking, that's an easy fix.

But time is pretty precious as I'm sure you'll appreciate. Short of longer days, I'm not sure where we get that from?

--------------------
Fuggorf's Hit List:

Mitch Wragg

+Quote Post
Durkah
post Feb 3 2015, 11:58 PM
Post #13

Broken Badass

Member No.: 6,267

There is a big difference with 30 seconds compared to 10 minutes from last year. They don't need to hang around for ages. But they quickly went over models. Didn't really ask much and then left without a word. So either they saw it all and were happy and didn't need to ask questions.... Or they rushed it. time will tell when the scoring is shown.

--------------------
"Just wow" The new meta for getting banned on WAU. Lives claimed since November 2014: 2

QUOTE(esrun @ Feb 8 2012, 04:53 PM) *
DND = do not disturb

I always play this especially while fapping.

Anthony Z:

"I don't understand why you take morale tests from dangerous terrain. Did you see what that rock did to Jim, quick run"

"######e tourney... Better alternative to going is masturbating with sand paper"

QUOTE(Elliot.Yung @ May 12 2013, 09:23 PM) *
You know your rule knowledge is bad when Shaun Hogan is correcting you :P

QUOTE(JBrehaut @ Mar 18 2015, 10:30 AM) *
If you really knew how to pullout, you wouldn't need a babysitter
+Quote Post
zed
post Feb 4 2015, 05:44 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 771

My 0.02

Venue Feedback
The venue is fantastic, a major improvement on Collingwood, as the building is cool, the parking excellent, and the space is clean and not smelly. Not having to move tables/ chairs from building to building was awesome. Only concern is that you need to try to space the tables out a bit more (either use more of the front space and/or the area up stairs). As Rick commented, at times you were bumping into people trying to get around the tables, and those on some of the 3 back to back tables would have been uncomfortable when playing hammer and anvil games.

Mission Feedback
Missions were great. Enough variety from standard to make them interesting, but nothing that caused too much grief. I know that the Vangard strike is part of the rulebook, but it is a pain in the rear to set up (especially for a tournament). Maybe use some other deployment (possibly from an older rule book)??

Scoring System Feedback
Arcscore was good. Made it easier to get the scores in and ensure accuracy of entry. Some small suggestions
  • Bring some tablets/devices that you can lend to people for entering scores
  • warn people so they ensure their phone is charged and can access the net.
  • don't put a password on the wifi, but restrict it to arcscore only.
  • make it possible to see/get copies of your battle scores as you go.
Actually most of those aren't system issues. To paraphrase Basil Fawlty "The system would be perfect if it wasn't for the users" armata_PDT_11.gif

Painting Feedback
As with other people, seemed really rushed, and didn't get much feedback on how we did. Pretty much only got asked about the theme side of it, not about any of the other points. I know the painting judges know their stuff, but I don't know if they had enough time this time around, or if people good demonstrate the extra stuff they did.

Media is good, but don't over do the visual elements, as that time to get the game done is most important.
Proper stage is awesome for doing the intros and gives you a work space.
Great having a mic, as it meant you were able to be heard clearly.

Other Feedback
Round draw was probably the big issue. Lots of people playing games against people ranked a lot higher than them, even on the last round. The concern here is that the games possibly ended up one sided.
Games seemed a little rushed at times. I know you ended up ahead of schedule, so maybe just spread things out a bit so the players have time for the games, especially at the moment as there are people that are pretty unfamiliar with the current rulebook.
the miniature scenery objectives were a nice takeaway.
It was great having the vendors close.
Glad you asked people not to touch terrain that doesn't belong to them. Meant terrain was put away the way the owners wanted and wasn't damaged.
Maybe do something different with the painting (either get people to set up their army then register, or do it sunday morning). That way there is more time to play those days...
You did a good job... I know there is a lot of things that aren't being touched on that you did. People always pick up on the negatives.

This post has been edited by zed: Feb 4 2015, 07:45 AM

--------------------
"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered.
We few, we Band of Brothers.
For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
- William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
+Quote Post
jimjimjimmyjim
post Feb 4 2015, 06:20 AM
Post #15

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11,099

QUOTE(Fuggorf @ Feb 4 2015, 12:11 AM) *

I guess one comment I would make on paint scoring is that feedback from previous years indicated that people felt paint judges spent too much time talking to people to the detriment of getting games finished. As such, this year we put a big emphasis on speed at the expense of chatter.

If it's made paint judging frustrating, and the solution is to spend more time talking, that's an easy fix.

But time is pretty precious as I'm sure you'll appreciate. Short of longer days, I'm not sure where we get that from?

But now you just need to find the balance, between the 2.

If you cut out the presentation stuff you do each year before missions are given and put a small chunk of that time into judging then your on the right track with time dedicated to judging scores as you haven't added anything extra to the length of each game.

Last year despit how long it was, was great bcos judges asked you what you did in various area around basing and painting, asked about your diorama and your theme, all the time I tried to take notes of what they were looking for so I knew what to come back with the following year.

Like my soul grinder was the fw model and all I received was a grunt from it, they were interested in hearing how much extra work I had done to it or about the pulsating guts and ooze bleeding from it to spread its bile! Or the scratch built greater daemon I had made.

What's worse is i not anyone else got the chance to see their scores, one of my mates went out of his way to get the Morrison award but was surprised to not receive any criticism at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
GGMatazas
post Feb 4 2015, 07:54 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,256

Venue: great, got lost on day 1 but I'm interstate so expected it.

Catering: great, alcohol is always good.

Missions: fun, but a tad confusing particularly number 3.

Scoring system: great, could have used a heads up as I rocked up with a half charged phone day 1 and it died.

Painting: didn't give a shiz but did seem really fast and I can see why others would be upset.

Stage, screen and show: fine, could have done without the movie cuts; shift the allocated time to rounds/paint judging?

Other: I think I got paired up and down once each so not too bad.

--------------------
A stiff chill came over the realm. The occupants could sense something approaching, something bad. They knew the all-devouring had arrived. The ground shook from its excessive mass, the beast clawing at the entrance. In an instant the doors were open and the beast swarmed through. It consumed everything in its path, its claws ripping apart its prey like a lion on an antelope. Within 10 minutes I had eaten all the leftovers in the fridge, and I was feeling really sick.
+Quote Post
difsta
post Feb 4 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #17

The Travelling Mexican

Member No.: 9,216

I wont cover all the areas, as a lot of the items will just be repeating others, so just a couple of things that I feel need to be reiterated or have been missed.

Venue Feedback
- not enough room between rows.

Catering Feedback
- I actually had no issues with lunch either day

Mission Feedback
- Missions were great, the total victory in Mission 2 was fairly unachievable. And mission 6's total victory was off... You should never offer a point for tabling someone, cause in most cases (not all) any point you gain for getting total victory you will lose at least 1 sports point (which is worth 2 battle points anyways). People don't like being tabled.

Scoring System Feedback
- ArcScore was awesome, pairing issues has been discussed

Painting Feedback
- same deal, 10 seconds on theme

- drop the videos. It is time that could be better used on gaming which is what we are all there for

Other Feedback
- This was only my second arc, but I have found that now 2 years in a row if we are running late or if there is an issue, the game time is what gets hit, not the "other stuff". Round 2 seemed super quick, much quicker than the other rounds. It felt like the round started late but you attempted to finish on time. If you are running late, cut the time in other areas, don't play videos, for the next 2 rounds to make up 10-15mins.

All in all, event was great, these are just some items that could be improved. But thoroughly enjoyed my weekend

--------------------
Community Comp is alive and kicking. Come visit us over at our Facebook Page or out Community Comp Forum and get involved

My Modelling Diaries
ETC 2016 Australian Team Discussion
+Quote Post
difsta
post Feb 4 2015, 11:11 AM
Post #18

The Travelling Mexican

Member No.: 9,216

also it would have been really good to hear how much was raised for Relay for Life. That charity means a lot to me and my family, and I have been doing the relay for life for a number of years now. I was super pumped to hear it was a charity being supported in a round, but never heard the results

--------------------
Community Comp is alive and kicking. Come visit us over at our Facebook Page or out Community Comp Forum and get involved

My Modelling Diaries
ETC 2016 Australian Team Discussion
+Quote Post
nzwoodman
post Feb 5 2015, 02:20 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,635

My 5 cents worth:

Largely agree with what was said above:
Main points;

More room between the tables - this is an easy fix.
Lunch I thought was fine, although I missed the hot dogs on day 2!
Painting scores - I felt my army got enough attention, but why not have everyone setup their armies in the lunch break & have them judged then? (as well as when it was done during the players choice period, that should be more than enough time.)

Overall I felt it was an awesome tourney, easily the best I have ever been too..

--------------------
Currently fielding: (Too much..)

Good Guys: Flesh Tearers 9,000pts, Imperial Guard 6,000pts, Crimson Fists 2,500pts,
Grey Knights 3,000pts, Ultra Marines 2,000pts

Fun Guys: Necrons 4,000pts, Dark Eldar 7,000pts, Death Guard 5,000pts, Chaos Daemons 2,000pts
Orks 3,000pts

Other Guys: Nids 3,000pts

+Quote Post
Tuned
post Feb 5 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,933

also a rather small trivial bit of feedback that is mostly relevant to me and my experience but player's choice votes were the first thing we did to kick off the event so the results were in nice and early and you had a clear winner before game 1 was finished... so why was the best photo that could be mustered of my army which placed second a washed out midgame photo taken during the last turn of round 4?

plenty of photos were taken of armies on display boards including first and third players choice but was there not a photo room similar to last year where more proffesional shots can be taken such as those int he 2014 gallery?

i know its egotistical sounding and i am grateful for everything the TO team did, but I attended arc purely for the hobby aspect and was less interested in final placings and it would have been nice to have my work recognised on the same level as other armies that attended, not saying i deserve special treatment but before lunchtime on day 1 the players choice votes were done and I feel there was plenty of opportunity to organise photos.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2019 - 05:26 PM