Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So apparently im starting FoW Germans, Not the Russians I was planning but free :)
Ronin
post Nov 25 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,512

Hey all,

Been looking into flames for a while now and wanted to do a dirty Russian horde that could just drown my enemies in their blood, but a mate dug out his old germans from his parents house and sent them to me, so I guess not.

Doing 8th army in africa for BA, so I figure I should do Afrika Korps for my germans (also grabbed a baggy of AK guys for cheap recently)

So help out a flames noob, what eras does the africa campaign cover?? Just EW and MW?? What books would have the african lists??

So far I dont have a huge collection, and much of it is still en route, so very open to changing my mind based on whats playable in the theater.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zap123
post Nov 25 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,742

Yeah, just EW and MW. Books are: for EW, Hellfire and Back and for MW, North Africa. Word is that MW will be ported to V4 in the first half of next year though, so maybe just buy a list or two from Forces Of War site rather than shell out for the (oop) book.

--------------------
Fire bad, tree pretty - Buffy

Games Workshop, making the easy look impossible since 1975.

2006 Mechwarrior Australian champion.
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Nov 25 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #3

Cheers for the heads up man. Ill try and get digital copies of everything so it hurts less if they change stuff.

Ill see whats available in said lists and buy accordingly.

Cheers, Russ

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Dec 11 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #4

So after much borrowing of peoples books and surfing the web for bargain models, I have organised a pretty solid starting force.

PSC EW infantry and heavy weapons, 5 each of panzer II and IVs, and extra MG and 81mm mortar platoon, 4 AT guns, 3 AA quad halftracks and a couple of bisons.

Kinda annoyed that halftracks and trucks are so bloody expensive to buy, and quite handy in the game without costing much more in points. Will just have to slowly buy a box of trucks at a time.

Same with motorbikes, really want a motorbike rifle company but hot damn the bikes are exxy.

Think my next purchases will have to be some 88s and tigers. Thatll help immensely with the tank fighting.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
+Quote Post
zap123
post Dec 12 2016, 03:16 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,742

You wont need many Tigers for mid, so one or two of the Zvezda ones is an economical option, though you could just grab a single blister for more heft. BF are bringing out plastic 88s next year too. Also Zvezda do an Opel Blitz, though the PSC ones are very nice.

The Kradschutzen box is exy, though to be fair it is chock full of metal. Ebay is your friend here....

--------------------
Fire bad, tree pretty - Buffy

Games Workshop, making the easy look impossible since 1975.

2006 Mechwarrior Australian champion.
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Dec 12 2016, 12:27 PM
Post #6

Yeah zvezda through PSC is gonna have to be my main drain methinks. But im poor as hell so dropping over $50 on some trucks hurts. But I guess theres not much choice if imma play DAK.

Dunno if im gonna get excited about BF anything, theyre so expensive it hurts to think about. And forged in battle have 88s with tractors for less than half the current price from BF.

Ill be trying ebay soon and see what emerges.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
+Quote Post
YogoZuno
post Dec 19 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 57

There are a couple of model stores around Brisbane that actually stock Zveda products directly, but rarely many of each kit. You can find some at Hobbyrama at Stafford, for instance. You might be able to ask them to order more for you. Not sure if it will work out cheaper, but might make it easier to get them in dribs and drabs.

--------------------
The Big Weekend 40k 2007/2009
Winter Warfest 2010/2011/2012
Orktoberfest 40k 2009/2010/2011/2012
Two-time Quarter Master Fluff Bunny
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Dec 24 2016, 03:38 PM
Post #8

Cheers man, I am actually planning a trip to brissy in a few months so might have to swing through hobbyrama while im there. Will have a better idea of what I need by then and be able to call to get them ordered in.

As an aside, thinking that my DAK army will only need a fraction of the infantry that I have ordered so might do an eastern front late war army with the rest of them. Maybe paras. Would EW troops be able to fill in the teams well enough if I got some panzershreck teams and the like?? Or did equipment change too noticably over the war??

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
+Quote Post
dedhed
post Dec 25 2016, 07:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,591

FJ paras can be used for EW/ MW and LW without too much trouble....just change out a few command options and different AT guns and tanks without too much trouble. One of the main reasons I have them.
+Quote Post
stevo_aus
post Feb 6 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,194

QUOTE(Ronin @ Nov 25 2016, 12:50 PM) *

Been looking into flames for a while now and wanted to do a dirty Russian horde that could just drown my enemies in their blood

What's the FOW source material for Russian armies?

Sorry for the off topic post. I don't have enough posts yet to start my own thread and not sure how many I need to make sad.gif
+Quote Post
Mick.G
post Feb 7 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,702

For early war there is Barbarossa and Rising Sun, late war is Red Bear, Desperate Measures and Berlin. Mid war is being revised but the old book was Eastern Front. I hope I haven't missed any!

--------------------
Wargaming Achievements
MVP (charity award) - MINIMISE 2011. 9th place - War of the Ring CONFLICT 2011. Sportsmanship award: Field of Glory Napoleonics tournament 2015 at League of Ancients. Sportsmanship at Battle for the Westfold - Hobbit 2017

[/u][/b]Armies I'm working on
FOW: Soviet Tankovy Batalon, Polish EW & LW, Rommels Afrika Korps. LOTR: Mordor, Isengard, Moria, Gondor, Rohan, Elves, Dwarves. Napoleonic: Austrian 15mm. Renaissance: Swedish. SAGA: Welsh.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 02:13 AM