+Quote Post
ralphy
post Jul 15 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #24

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 16,338

QUOTE(akorndr2 @ Jul 14 2015, 08:28 PM) *

Actually sorry i can this list will be confusing at first

I wouldnt realy worry about making a list to those rules until the TO says what (if any) the comp will be
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mr_Roy
post Jul 15 2015, 03:53 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 6,033

QUOTE(ralphy @ Jul 15 2015, 10:51 AM) *

I wouldnt realy worry about making a list to those rules until the TO says what (if any) the comp will be

I haven't decided yet but I am currently leaning towards the Independent AoS Rules Pack.

--------------------
[AoS] Age of Kislev: bringing Kislev back from the dead

Waaagh! of the Dead - my undead orcs and goblins army

QUOTE(Demetrius @ Feb 24 2015, 03:02 PM) *

I'm struggling to understand the relevance of WA mining profits to a discussion about the masters for a toy soldiers game, but thanks for your input.
+Quote Post
tensions
post Jul 15 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 5,714

overall, i think the rule pack is ok, one thing I really dislike is to be forced to take mainstay units, which I have zero interest to paint a large number of these models or include them in any of my themed list.

one of the biggest appeal about AOS to me is to be allowed to take a really cool themed army.

if i am to be forced to take an 8th army, i might as well play 8th which is a much better game for a proper fantasy battle.

i think simply allow mainstay units to have a unit of 10+ and elites to have a unit size of 15max would be way better.

This post has been edited by tensions: Jul 15 2015, 05:34 PM

--------------------
train like a barbrother.

+Quote Post
skaapie
post Jul 16 2015, 09:58 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,726

I also not sure about the mainstay limit as i think more that 4 units is excessive. This can mean a minimum of 40 wounds out of a possible 100 wounds for some armies, which is excessive and very limiting in terms of army choice. So this is forcing 40% of your army to mainstay, even 8th only required 25%. I think the one of the main things about AoS is the freedom to customize.

Also some adjustment to the random roll to see who goes first each turn.

This post has been edited by skaapie: Jul 16 2015, 10:17 AM

--------------------
Its not necessary for warhammer to played like Irish boxing. Trading blow for blow in a fair fight is silly if you are the weaker fighter.

Lord of all things Fluffy
+Quote Post
Mr_Roy
post Jul 16 2015, 04:05 PM
Post #28

No comp pack is perfect. Every AoS pack I have read has at least one thing I don't like.

--------------------

I'm struggling to understand the relevance of WA mining profits to a discussion about the masters for a toy soldiers game, but thanks for your input.
+Quote Post
Mr_Roy
post Jul 16 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(skaapie @ Jul 16 2015, 09:58 AM) *

I also not sure about the mainstay limit as i think more that 4 units is excessive. This can mean a minimum of 40 wounds out of a possible 100 wounds for some armies, which is excessive and very limiting in terms of army choice. So this is forcing 40% of your army to mainstay, even 8th only required 25%. I think the one of the main things about AoS is the freedom to customize.

Also some adjustment to the random roll to see who goes first each turn.

I don't think you can compare wound and point percentage when things like a vampire lord could take up 25% in 8th but only 5% in AoS.

And I will not be making any adjustment to the random roll. I like it as a game mechanic.

Some of the feedback I gave Nick on the pack was that it should be 3 rather than 4 mainstay units.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moz
post Jul 19 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 16,347

I think I saw it somewhere but can't find it now, but can someone confirm if we're using 1 faction only, or are we allowed to use a Grand Alliance?

Regards
+Quote Post
one angry dwarf
post Jul 19 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 14,120

I appreciate the need to find a comp solution and really appreciate everyone's work on getting that independent comp pack up,and I think the rules clarifications are fine, but to me the unit categories are far too restrictive and it feels like it's shoehorning 8th onto a totally different game that is meant to encourage synergies, experimentation and themed armies.

Take building a list with my beastmen for example. I have only 3 mainstays to choose from: gor and the two types of ungor. So that means I always have to take 30 infantry off the bat with little variation. Then, you only get 4 specials, of which minotaurs and razorgors - my favourite units - take up two slots each for only 3 models. This means that even if I take the max allocation of rares (24 wounds), I'll always need to take about 20 more infantry in special or mainstay to make it up to 100 wounds with a lord. I'll always have to take almost exactly the same army, when what I really want to take is a themed bull list with a doombull, minos and a ghorgon.

Another example from the wood elf army I have. I've really been looking forward to AoS to be able to play with the small force I've been working on, led by Durthu. Durthu takes up 2 lord slots and a hero slot, meaning I'll need to field 6 mainstay units - that's 60 infantry - before I get him on the table. This means that you'll never be able to get the synergies he provides by creating forests.

So yeah, I'd rather a more flexible solution for the tournament, especially as we're only 2 weeks out from launch wink.gif my initial feeling is that what might work in the long run is scenario based tournaments where objectives can only be achieved by certain units, with light guidelines (1 lord or whatever) plus panel comp once everyone understands what units and synergies can do. Also, new people starting AoS and who want to get into the scene will be playing one game at home and then not be able to join the tournament scene because they don't have 40 gor and 30 bestigor, and who could blame them.

Why don't we experiment at this stage, like how Clash did with end times? But of course I'll play whatever people want - just my two cents!

--------------------
Check out my hobby blog for more
Twitter: @thedoomedbull
+Quote Post
one angry dwarf
post Jul 20 2015, 12:10 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 14,120

FYI Heelanhammer has a comp pack up now if anyone's interested.

--------------------
Check out my hobby blog for more
Twitter: @thedoomedbull
+Quote Post
tensions
post Jul 25 2015, 11:18 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 5,714

how about this: AOS light comp.

play as per the 4 page rules with the following rules and restrictions.

army list, must choose models from a single warscrolls compendium, must submit a list of models, max 125 wounds worth before tournament, this is your army pool.

each round, you may choose any models from your army pool, you may only deploy max 100 wounds and min 40 wounds.
sudden death condition determined by wounds instead of models.
summoned or any additional models must come from your army pool and may never excess 100 wounds on the table at any one time.

army restrictions
Max 1 named character
no duplicate model with "monster" keyword
max 2 duplicate models with "warmachine" keyword, (include oger ironblaster, scraplauncher, skull cannons)
monster/warmachine keywords, 25 max wounds
monster / hero/ wizard/ priest keywords, 25 max wounds

optional addition challenges: (make the game more challenging)
* all command ability is one use only
* all character summoning spell may only be casted once per round (no infinite summoning)

general victory condition.
any sudden death victory is a major win

all other game's victory condition determined by scenarios in the player pack.

the TO needs to be innovative with the scenarios, forcing the player to think outside the square rather than focus on building the most optimal killing machine list

eg, have scenarios where you need ground troops to capture multiple objectives,
or zones where you gain points for having ground units inside and clear of enemies
or an objective which a player must protect.

This post has been edited by tensions: Jul 25 2015, 11:33 AM

--------------------
train like a barbrother.

+Quote Post
akorndr2
post Jul 25 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 12,965

QUOTE(tensions @ Jul 25 2015, 11:18 AM) *

how about this: AOS light comp.

play as per the 4 page rules with the following rules and restrictions.

army list, must choose models from a single warscrolls compendium, must submit a list of models, max 125 wounds worth before tournament, this is your army pool.

each round, you may choose any models from your army pool, you may only deploy max 100 wounds and min 40 wounds.
sudden death condition determined by wounds instead of models.
summoned or any additional models must come from your army pool and may never excess 100 wounds on the table at any one time.

army restrictions
Max 1 named character
no duplicate model with "monster" keyword
max 2 duplicate models with "warmachine" keyword, (include oger ironblaster, scraplauncher, skull cannons)
monster/warmachine keywords, 25 max wounds
monster / hero/ wizard/ priest keywords, 25 max wounds

optional addition challenges: (make the game more challenging)
* all command ability is one use only
* all character summoning spell may only be casted once per round (no infinite summoning)

general victory condition.
any sudden death victory is a major win
all other game's victory condition determined by scenarios in the player pack.
the TO needs to be innovative with the scenarios, forcing the player to think outside the square rather than focus on building the most optimal killing machine list

eg, have scenarios where you need ground troops to capture multiple objectives,
or zones where you gain points for having ground units inside and clear of enemies
or an objective which a player must protect.

i dont agree with the max of 1 named character
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 11:37 PM