6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dungeons and Dragons
Saithis
post Nov 6 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,031

So, I meant to bring this up at the last meeting, but I forgot, and since the next one is so far away I thought I might as well start a thread.

Would anybody be interested in playing some dungeons and dragons? We could play a whole bunch of one-shot episodes or a campaign which we could run over a few sessions to indefinitely. I'm happy to play pre-made stuff or even create a whole new campaign setting.

To allow time for other games (warhammer and x-wing) I thought if we were to play every second meet it would be enough.

--------------------
Roll a 2D6 and compare to the table below.
2 - Emperor's Children / 3 - [roll again] / 4 - [roll again] / 5 - Tyranids
6 - Slaanesh Daemons / 7 - [roll again] / 8 - Asuryani
9 - Thousand Sons / 10 - Ynnari / 11 - [roll again] / 12 - Emperor's Children
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BIG
post Nov 6 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,152

I had actually started to write a bit of a D&D query a couple of nights back and ended up not posting. So seeing your post I figure I should say something.

With the guys I currently do D&D with we use Lion's Den Gamesmaster and Fight Club apps. I write the adventures in Gamesmaster and we track our characters through fight club. Can have it on phone or ipad so saves on paper. And is reasonably intuitive.

Two of the five players have had a go at being DM (with another to try soon) this gives everyone an insight into how the whole system works. But I tend to do 95% of the DMing. When I write an adventure I try to do a self contained one that we can get through in a single session as it is far easier if the next couple of meetings are missing some of the players. There is an "over-arching" story tying it together. But it's not essential that everyone is in attendance every game. Saves those odd instances of in the middle of a dungeon "hey where did the paladin go?"

But with a little lateral thinking and I think 1 meet a month you probably would go ok. I would be happy to give it a go as a player and would sub in as a DM for a change. i would be happy to try a campaign or stand alone adventures.

None of the guys I play with (including myself) own any 5th edition gear although we have "access" to the three core books. I own every publication of 3,5 and 4th edition including maps and a heap of prepainted minis that we use during tactical encounters.

I tend to like to run a fighter with a magical bent and on 5th this is ably handled by the Eldritch Knight build. But would be happy to make a character to fill any missing spot.

Ben

--------------------
Check out my Crazy Army plan here
Check out the Fluff for my Crazy Army plan here
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 9 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(BIG @ Nov 6 2017, 06:09 PM) *

I had actually started to write a bit of a D&D query a couple of nights back and ended up not posting. So seeing your post I figure I should say something.

With the guys I currently do D&D with we use Lion's Den Gamesmaster and Fight Club apps. I write the adventures in Gamesmaster and we track our characters through fight club. Can have it on phone or ipad so saves on paper. And is reasonably intuitive.

I just had a look at it, but it seems to be missing some stuff? I'll have another fiddle with it when I get a chance and see how I go.

Two of the five players have had a go at being DM (with another to try soon) this gives everyone an insight into how the whole system works. But I tend to do 95% of the DMing. When I write an adventure I try to do a self contained one that we can get through in a single session as it is far easier if the next couple of meetings are missing some of the players. There is an "over-arching" story tying it together. But it's not essential that everyone is in attendance every game. Saves those odd instances of in the middle of a dungeon "hey where did the paladin go?"

This seems like a great way to run it, to be honest, with the self-contained stories within sessions, and an overarching plot. Thus far it's the way my other game has gone, but we are still only early in the campaign.

But with a little lateral thinking and I think 1 meet a month you probably would go ok. I would be happy to give it a go as a player and would sub in as a DM for a change. i would be happy to try a campaign or stand alone adventures.

So with both you and me, that's 2.

I don't mind being the DM or being a player, I'm happy to do a rotating roster if more than one of us want to DM - yourself included.

None of the guys I play with (including myself) own any 5th edition gear although we have "access" to the three core books. I own every publication of 3,5 and 4th edition including maps and a heap of prepainted minis that we use during tactical encounters.

I tend to like to run a fighter with a magical bent and on 5th this is ably handled by the Eldritch Knight build. But would be happy to make a character to fill any missing spot.

Ben

I have no experience with anything other than 5th, so that would be my preferred edition, but will go along with the majority if people want to play other editions.

Eldritch Knight would be a fun build. If I were a player, lately I've taken a liking to the monk and would like to see one in action.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BIG
post Nov 12 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #4

Yeah the lions den stuff needs some downloads to get it up and running (without having to enter it manually). If you use drop box I can probably get you the required files to get them running a little smoother.
Although there is a bit of a learning curve to utilise them effectively.

An "episodic" way of running things is what I have found to be the easiest way to handle a "loose" group of players. I have done it several times previously. One effective way of handling things is that the group (no matter how large it is) is a mercenary guild that hands out jobs that take a session to complete. If you get a large group of the players attend you can either break them into a couple of groups or run a special whole guild event that can put them up against something particularly nasty.

I am happy to be a player initially. Then as things evolve I can do either. I have one reliable mate that would be in at the drop of a hat.

Oh I have no intention of suggesting anything but 5th edition I think it's the strongest version I have played. I just have a lot of resources that could be used for inspiration if we needed it.

Ben

--------------------
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 13 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(BIG @ Nov 12 2017, 05:33 PM) *

Yeah the lions den stuff needs some downloads to get it up and running (without having to enter it manually). If you use drop box I can probably get you the required files to get them running a little smoother.
Although there is a bit of a learning curve to utilise them effectively.

An "episodic" way of running things is what I have found to be the easiest way to handle a "loose" group of players. I have done it several times previously. One effective way of handling things is that the group (no matter how large it is) is a mercenary guild that hands out jobs that take a session to complete. If you get a large group of the players attend you can either break them into a couple of groups or run a special whole guild event that can put them up against something particularly nasty.

I am happy to be a player initially. Then as things evolve I can do either. I have one reliable mate that would be in at the drop of a hat.

Oh I have no intention of suggesting anything but 5th edition I think it's the strongest version I have played. I just have a lot of resources that could be used for inspiration if we needed it.

Ben

I don't use dropbox but that's okay. If I'm being honest I don't mind filling in the character sheets, I have some PDFs that I use.

I like the idea of a mercenary guild of some kind, sending out parties to handle particular quests or objectives. It does seem like the best way of doing things, especially if we have people coming in and out on a weekly basis.

I also don't mind being a player... the more I've read about the Monk class, the more I think I would like to play as one, so if we both wanted to do some DM work, I would be okay with that.

Is there anyone else here who would be interested in playing every second meet or so?

--------------------
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Nov 13 2017, 01:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,670

I've never played it, don't really know much about it (apart from you roll you see what happens) but I'm always up for anything gaming (+ would like to see more systems) so I'm happy for an intro, see if I like it etc etc.

--------------------
---- NSW Northern Knights ----

Dark Angels: Still Legion Building Since Day One

Deathwatch: Xenos Scum

X-Wing: Scum....mostly, but plenty of Rebel & Empire
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 13 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Nov 13 2017, 02:08 PM) *

I've never played it, don't really know much about it (apart from you roll you see what happens) but I'm always up for anything gaming (+ would like to see more systems) so I'm happy for an intro, see if I like it etc etc.

It's a lot of fun.

The game basically works in a loop: The DM provides stimulus, the players react, and the DM tells them the result.

The rules themselves are far more comprehensive than in game systems like Warhammer, but the DM has basically the final say in whether a rule is followed to-the-letter RAW (or RAI, as I prefer), whether it's followed loosely, or whether it's just totally disregarded. It all comes down to the DM, the players, and the whole point of the game: to have fun.

It's also non-competitive; the DM isn't trying to beat the players, and the players aren't trying to beat the DM, and the players aren't in competition with each other.

There's a lot of roleplaying involved, too. The game I played yesterday went for 3 hours, and in that time, we had 1 combat, which went for about 2 rounds; the whole combat took us about 5 minutes; this is compared to our first session, which was 4 hours, with about 3 hours of it spent in a dungeon exploring traps, combats, puzzles.

It does require a pretty active imagination which I don't imagine would be a problem for anyone at our club.

The roleplaying, IMO, is the most fun part of the game. After 3 sessions with my group I'm more attached to some of my NPCs and the player characters than I've ever been to any Warhammer character or army.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BIG
post Nov 13 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #8

Can be very dependant on the playing group. I have one player that comes up with amazing ideas during combat, swing off chandeliers and crashing through windows. But when there is no combat he prefers to sit quietly on his phone.

It can be frustrating as he obviously knows how to role play pretty well. But if he isn't trying to stab something he couldn't care less and it is painful to try and engage him in non combat encounters. It isn't so bad as three of the four other players are really only there to slay some monsters and loot some coin.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Nov 13 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,670

QUOTE(BIG @ Nov 13 2017, 04:19 PM) *

Can be very dependant on the playing group. I have one player that comes up with amazing ideas during combat, swing off chandeliers and crashing through windows. But when there is no combat he prefers to sit quietly on his phone.

^This....while I'm going in open minded & obviously never played so can't be sure, but this is my only concern that I'll become this guy, depending on how it plays.

--------------------
---- NSW Northern Knights ----

Dark Angels: Still Legion Building Since Day One

Deathwatch: Xenos Scum

X-Wing: Scum....mostly, but plenty of Rebel & Empire
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 13 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(BIG @ Nov 13 2017, 04:19 PM) *

It can be frustrating as he obviously knows how to role play pretty well. But if he isn't trying to stab something he couldn't care less and it is painful to try and engage him in non combat encounters. It isn't so bad as three of the four other players are really only there to slay some monsters and loot some coin.

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Nov 13 2017, 04:38 PM) *

^This....while I'm going in open minded & obviously never played so can't be sure, but this is my only concern that I'll become this guy, depending on how it plays.

This was my biggest fear about the game - people not being interested in the game over phones - so before I began with my friends, I set a rule: No phones at the table unless there is good reason. It's worked pretty well so far - one of the more fidgety players has taken to drawing little sketches of what's been happening around them in the game, and another has written their character as 'quiet, only talks when there's something worth saying', but they listen intently to what's happening around them, and when they do talk, they often have insight that others don't put forward.

Also, I'm also finding myself giving bonus rewards to players who do things that they may not be so comfortable with. For example, the Paladin in our group reached level 3, and I wanted him to roleplay him making his oath. He wanted to do it off screen but I asked him to do it on screen; I gave him a minor blessing from his god (+1 to damage rolls for 24 hours) and a point of inspiration as reward for stepping out of his comfort zone and making the oath. What was really nice, was as he looked up and saw all of us hanging on his words, he got more into swearing the oath as he went.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BIG
post Nov 13 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #11

Sounds like you have a good group. Any of them interested in coming along for a game?

I have been using inspiration (bonus re-roll) when a player does something entertaining/in character/clever to motivate actual role play.

Maybe if we get enough to have a game we can run a couple of short encounters (combat, puzzle, role play encounter). We could put a couple of sample characters together (to save the time in making characters which can be really time consuming).

Then, if people are interested to continue, they can invest more time in making a character of their own?

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 13 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(BIG @ Nov 13 2017, 07:39 PM) *

Sounds like you have a good group. Any of them interested in coming along for a game?

I have been using inspiration (bonus re-roll) when a player does something entertaining/in character/clever to motivate actual role play.

Maybe if we get enough to have a game we can run a couple of short encounters (combat, puzzle, role play encounter). We could put a couple of sample characters together (to save the time in making characters which can be really time consuming).

Then, if people are interested to continue, they can invest more time in making a character of their own?

Sounds like a good way of doing it - a combat, a puzzle, a roleplay. Do we want to have them all in one quest, a short dungeon perhaps? I'll ask the players and see if any of them want to come along.

A couple of quick encounters sound good. Before we started our campaign I ran an intro game for us all to get our heads around the general mechanics. To do so, I wrote some character sheets (so I'd know how to do it) and let them pick from those (hooray expendable characters) before they created their own.

So, I have level 4 and level 7 characters for each class already written. If we wanted to use something like that. Level 4 makes them not too complicated but strong enough to have a decent encounter for the first mission; level 7 makes it a more complicated and intense situation.

This post has been edited by Saithis: Nov 13 2017, 07:15 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
BIG
post Nov 13 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #13

Would we run from 1st level? I kind of like the nail biting nature of how fragile level 1 characters are?

I think all tied together into one dungeon would be really good. Would you be happy to handle running the game?

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 13 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(BIG @ Nov 13 2017, 08:21 PM) *

Would we run from 1st level? I kind of like the nail biting nature of how fragile level 1 characters are?

I think all tied together into one dungeon would be really good. Would you be happy to handle running the game?

I think if we were to run a full campaign/mercenary guild, we'd run the actual player characters from level 1, and advance like that.

But playing an intro game, I like to play with stronger characters - it means we can use more interesting monsters, and it gives a better feel of what a class can do. Since it's just an intro game, we can even make expendable characters and have the intro session set up a bit of the history for our first game.

In our intro game, I set a brief quest set 300 years before our current campaign - the fall of a king, the destruction of a cult. And now the characters are playing in a realm that was established based on what they achieved there... it'll be very interesting once they start to see the more direct impacts of their intro game.

But again, since I'm not the player, I'm happy to defer to everyone else if you want to play an intro with level 1 characters, or even just dive straight into it.

Happy to run the first game. Just let me know where you all want to start - an intro game with expendable characters or dive into the campaign - and I'll plan accordingly.

This post has been edited by Saithis: Nov 13 2017, 07:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 18 2017, 09:16 AM
Post #15

I have drafted the following 12 characters together:
- Half-Orc Barbarian, Path of the Berserker (high damage, rage-fuelled tank)
- Half-Elf Bard, College of Valor (useful in combat but also a decent support character)
- Dwarf Cleric, Life Domain (healer)
- Wood Elf Druid, Circle of the Moon (shapeshifting druid)
- Human Fighter, Eldritch Knight (spellcasting swordfighter)
- Halfling Monk, Way of the Drunken Master (a hand-to-hand combat martial artist who acts like a drunkard in battle)
- Half-elf Paladin, Oath of Devotion (lawful-good holy knight)
- Human Ranger, Hunter (a ranger from the wilderness who is accustomed to fighting)
- Halfling Rogue, Swashbuckler (rather than a typical thief, they're more like a duellist or a pirate)
- Tiefling Sorcerer, Wild Magic (the most dangerous but innate type of magic)
- Human Warlock, Celestial (has their magic through a pact with a celestial being, such as a unicorn)
- High Elf Wizard, War Magic (a wizard who has specially trained for war)

"Ashforia is a volcanic island, though the volcano has long been dormant. This has allowed people to settle there - colonies of humans, dwarfs, elves, and even halflings have taken to Ashforia as their home. They have done this despite the many other dangers that the island presents - monsters roam the jungles and lagoons, and ruins and dungeons from civilisations long buried can still be found. Whilst most of the inhabitants simply stay away from these dangers to enjoy the tropical weather, the island has drawn a large number of treasure hunters and monster slayers, all hoping for glory and riches."

So the idea is, everybody picks a character, and you establish a guild of adventurers on the island, ones who become residents. The name of the guild, the rules around membership, and the purpose of its establishment will all be up to you guys during the introductory quest, and after that, we'll fast forward a few hundred years and you can create a new character to be a member of the guild.

You can create the Ashforia Adventurers Association, which to join you just have to make an oath, and the purpose is to help the people; or you can create the Temple of Discovery, which to join you need to find a worthy treasure, and the purpose is to document the entire island's past and present. The options are pretty much only limited by what you want... It's all very open but it'll establish how the story might unfold in the future.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BIG
post Nov 18 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #16

Love the concept. Really great potential for a campaign there.

Already considering trying to snag the Eldritch Knight, have an idea that the "modern" character is his descendent and that his story is there has always been a member of the family trained as an Eldritch Knight in the guild and he is the latest member of his family to loyally serve the guild.

Lot of potential there. Am I right that there is only one more meet this year?

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 19 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(BIG @ Nov 18 2017, 09:10 PM) *

Love the concept. Really great potential for a campaign there.

Already considering trying to snag the Eldritch Knight, have an idea that the "modern" character is his descendent and that his story is there has always been a member of the family trained as an Eldritch Knight in the guild and he is the latest member of his family to loyally serve the guild.

Lot of potential there. Am I right that there is only one more meet this year?

I was going to do the fighter as a samurai, but figured you'd want an Eldritch Knight, so I created it just for you. I'm also more than happy for you to take him, and have your campaign character be a descendant. A sort of royalty in the guild, being directly related to a founder.

I deliberately created the scenario with a long-term quest in mind, and I even have some ideas brewing, though I'm waiting to see how the trial game plays out before settling on anything.

I think you're right about there being only one more meet, and I've got a 40k game lined up for that, so maybe this is something we should kick off in the new year - our first meet in January maybe we have a dungeons and dragons session?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 19 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Saithis @ Nov 19 2017, 11:40 AM) *
I think you're right about there being only one more meet, and I've got a 40k game lined up for that, so maybe this is something we should kick off in the new year - our first meet in January maybe we have a dungeons and dragons session?

Update: Fobbah has unfortunately had to withdraw from this game, so if we wanted to do the Intro game this year on December 3rd and start the campaign proper next year, then we can do that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BIG
post Nov 19 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #19

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it on the 3rd. Prior commitments and all that. If you can get numbers go ahead and do the introductory game. I can jump in in the new year.

I will have a chat to a couple of my mates and see what their interest level would is. I know one of them should be a firm definite.

Let me know if you manage to round up a group.

--------------------
2000 Point Armies

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Nov 20 2017, 07:38 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(BIG @ Nov 19 2017, 09:23 PM) *

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it on the 3rd. Prior commitments and all that. If you can get numbers go ahead and do the introductory game. I can jump in in the new year.

I will have a chat to a couple of my mates and see what their interest level would is. I know one of them should be a firm definite.

Let me know if you manage to round up a group.

Alright, we'll make January the planned start time then.

With you, myself, your friend, and 1stLegion, that makes a group of 3 plus DM... It would be nice to have one more so I'll ask around too.

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 09:16 PM