6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dungeons and Dragons
Saithis
post Jan 15 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #21

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,031

Now that we have dates, how do we feel about starting on Feb 18 for Dungeons and Dragons?

--------------------
Roll a 2D6 and compare to the table below.
2 - Emperor's Children / 3 - [roll again] / 4 - [roll again] / 5 - Tyranids
6 - Slaanesh Daemons / 7 - [roll again] / 8 - Asuryani
9 - Thousand Sons / 10 - Ynnari / 11 - [roll again] / 12 - Emperor's Children
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Jan 23 2018, 07:39 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 15,670

QUOTE(Saithis @ Jan 15 2018, 11:19 AM) *

Now that we have dates, how do we feel about starting on Feb 18 for Dungeons and Dragons?

Yeah I'd be in for an intro.

--------------------
---- NSW Northern Knights ----

Dark Angels: Still Legion Building Since Day One

Deathwatch: Xenos Scum

X-Wing: Scum....mostly, but plenty of Rebel & Empire
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Jan 23 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #23

Iím actually not able to do the 18th anymore. Iím having my engagement party that day (I got engaged on the weekend just gone!)

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Jan 23 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 11,678

QUOTE(Saithis @ Jan 23 2018, 06:15 PM) *

Iím actually not able to do the 18th anymore. Iím having my engagement party that day (I got engaged on the weekend just gone!)

Congratulations

--------------------
God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started.
ó Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post
Chaoz
post Feb 1 2018, 04:24 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 15,854

QUOTE(Saithis @ Jan 23 2018, 07:15 PM) *

Just saw this - congrats !

--------------------

Owen
Chaos Daemons; Slaanesh and Nurgle
Chaos; Black Legion and Alpha Legion
Dedicated 40k Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/chaos40k/
Club: NSW Northern Knights
+Quote Post
Champion Thunder Goose
post Feb 3 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,453

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Jan 23 2018, 07:39 AM) *

Yeah I'd be in for an intro.

I';d be interested in an intro game.
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Feb 4 2018, 06:41 AM
Post #27

Iíll bring along both 40k and D&D today then.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Feb 4 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #28

Alright, so:

I have a scenario prepared, and I have some characters written. There's 6 in total for you to choose from.

I'd like to kick this off on the 4th of March with an introductory game; a one-shot game that will lay the groundwork for the campaign.

Who wants to commit to playing?

--------------------
+Quote Post
BIG
post Feb 7 2018, 02:07 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 14,152

Hi all, as much I would love to jump into the D&D, my 5 month old son is booked in for his cranial surgery on the 2nd of March, so obviously I will not be available in the near future. Hope it all goes well and that the game is a success at the club and I may come along in the future once the dust has settled.

Ben

--------------------
Check out my Crazy Army plan here
Check out the Fluff for my Crazy Army plan here
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Feb 8 2018, 07:36 AM
Post #30

Hope all goes/is going well Ben.

I'll be in for March 4th if we get enough people, I'll make a post on Facebook too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Feb 8 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #31

Ben, I hope everything goes well for your son and your family. Hopefully we see you sooner rather than later.

Iím able to get someone to come and play if we need someone to make up the numbers, so thatís two.

--------------------
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Mar 5 2018, 08:33 AM
Post #32

Thanks for the intro game it was good fun.

I'd happily get involved with this again, if we were to run it once a month or so (I know it prob works better on a quick turnaround) but I think as long as everything is tracked well we can make it work in a slow progress to start with.

The new GW Azyrite Ruins look like they could be handy (some walls, trap doors & chests) as some quick throw together 3d bits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Mar 5 2018, 09:37 AM
Post #33

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Monthly sounds excellent and is what I'd like to do, that way I can still get some 40k in every so often (like on the 18th of this month)

My usual game is very much storyline driven, but with this one, I'd like to run it as a continuous line of single-shot quests. That way it's easy for people to join in or be absent for quests without it affecting the flow of the story, and anybody who wants to take over as DM can do so as a different quest-giving leader in the Tower.

Our four heroes from the first quest are the ones who set the rules for the tower; I've spoken to Thokk and he's happy for "help people, smash baddies". Whether it's run by a council of elders, a single Grand Master, how the rankings work, any undesirable classes - is all up to you guys.

The game will take place about 75 years after the intro game, when people, elves, and half-elves have learnt to live in peace; and since then, the Dwarves living on the mountain's slopes have revealed themselves, the Firbolg living in the thickest part of the forest were discovered, and the stout Halfling village grew so large that they split into two, their existence becoming known when one faction moved to find a new home.

This makes 7 camps - Humans, Elves, Humels, Dwarves, Firbolg, and two Halfling camps.

Other ships have been caught in the sea currents that swirl around the island, bringing foreigners such as goblins, gnomes, tiefling, and a whole manner of other creatures. This has given birth to an 8th faction - formed of those who were shipwrecked on the island and feel they do not fit in with any of the other societies.

Basically, this makes it open for you to be able to choose any race you wish. The only race I have restrictions on is Dragonborn - if you reeeeally want to use one, let me know.

Classes are entirely up to you. There's a lot of options - 12 classes with a whole stack of diverse subclasses - so you can either write your character's backstory and pick a class based on that, or pick a class you want to play and write your character's backstory around that.

There are 3 main books worth looking at for new players.

The first is the Player's Handbook. This is the main resource. It has spells, the basics of how to play, and most importantly, the basic races and classes. Of the six main races on the island, five of them (elves, humans, half-elves, dwarves, and halflings) can be found in here.

Volo's Guide to Monster's is a great resource if you want to use lesser-known races. The Firbolg race is taken from here, but it also has options such as Aasimar (celestial half-breeds), Kenku (crow-people), and Lizardfolk.

Xanathar's Guide to Everything has additional spells and subclass options. For example, English's Arcane Archer subclass is taken from this book. The Rogue's coolest subclasses come from here too, IMO.

The other two core books - the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual - are mostly guides for a DM. Having read them thoroughly, there really isn't a lot for players in there.

--------------------
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Mar 5 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(Saithis @ Mar 5 2018, 10:37 AM) *

My usual game is very much storyline driven, but with this one, I'd like to run it as a continuous line of single-shot quests. That way it's easy for people to join in or be absent for quests without it affecting the flow of the story, and anybody who wants to take over as DM can do so as a different quest-giving leader in the Tower.

Our four heroes from the first quest are the ones who set the rules for the tower; I've spoken to Thokk and he's happy for "help people, smash baddies". Whether it's run by a council of elders, a single Grand Master, how the rankings work, any undesirable classes - is all up to you guys.

Yeah sounds good, so while all the quests will sort of link, like you say its not a total reliance on 1 band of characters progressing along a timeline.

Call me simple...., but can you explain a bit more detail the last part about the 'tower rules' (I've turned red ^) ie. what does running it mean? whether by 1 Master/Council) + rankings etc.

Where would I have to look for Tiefling stuff??

If we get this going I'm happy to be somewhat of a Sribe (Help produce an island map, + add in more things as they are created/keep track of common locations descriptors etc to keep some consistency along the way) & any other general creative style stuff I'd be happy to help in too.

This post has been edited by 1stLegion: Mar 5 2018, 02:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Mar 6 2018, 07:02 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Mar 5 2018, 03:46 PM) *

Yeah sounds good, so while all the quests will sort of link, like you say its not a total reliance on 1 band of characters progressing along a timeline.

Yep, exactly. There will be an overarching theme and eventually a climax to a story where I'll encourage everyone to join, but mostly, each episode is a standalone adventure and can be played or not played as people wish.

Call me simple...., but can you explain a bit more detail the last part about the 'tower rules' (I've turned red ^) ie. what does running it mean? whether by 1 Master/Council) + rankings etc.

It's actually pretty inconsequential; I just like to give players some kind of control over how the world looks. It's setting up storyline stuff, more or less.

Zhoron, Thokk, Robin Hood, and Bruce became champions of the island; they took the Tower; and they turned it into a tower of heroes. They help those who need it and train those who want to become heroes themselves.

So as the tower grew, it gained structures. Who is in charge of the tower - would the four of you have elected a leader, or would you have formed a council of decision makers? Who decides who is a leader/council member - can you get there simply through promotion in the ranks? How is it decided who goes on quests - is it allocated to whoever is free, shared around evenly? Does the council give the quests, or is there a particular admin job for it? Things like that.

Something to note - in 75 years, Thokk, Robin Hood, and Bruce have all more than likely fallen to old age. Zhoron is an elf, however, and has a lifespan of up to 750 years, so is likely still alive.

I am happy to write it, but again, I like to give my players some kind of say in how the world they're adventuring looks.

Where would I have to look for Tiefling stuff??

Player's Handbook.

If we get this going I'm happy to be somewhat of a Sribe (Help produce an island map, + add in more things as they are created/keep track of common locations descriptors etc to keep some consistency along the way) & any other general creative style stuff I'd be happy to help in too.

That would be excellent. I've bought a notebook which I'll use to keep track of things and make notes, and I'll keep a digital notepad too, but any help is appreciated, especially when it comes to maps (which I am just hopeless with)

--------------------
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Mar 6 2018, 11:45 AM
Post #36

QUOTE(Saithis @ Mar 6 2018, 08:02 AM) *

It's actually pretty inconsequential; I just like to give players some kind of control over how the world looks. It's setting up storyline stuff, more or less.

Zhoron, Thokk, Robin Hood, and Bruce became champions of the island; they took the Tower; and they turned it into a tower of heroes. They help those who need it and train those who want to become heroes themselves.

So as the tower grew, it gained structures. Who is in charge of the tower - would the four of you have elected a leader, or would you have formed a council of decision makers? Who decides who is a leader/council member - can you get there simply through promotion in the ranks? How is it decided who goes on quests - is it allocated to whoever is free, shared around evenly? Does the council give the quests, or is there a particular admin job for it? Things like that.

Something to note - in 75 years, Thokk, Robin Hood, and Bruce have all more than likely fallen to old age. Zhoron is an elf, however, and has a lifespan of up to 750 years, so is likely still alive.

I am happy to write it, but again, I like to give my players some kind of say in how the world they're adventuring looks.

Ok, so its just lore/fluff we have to work out amongst ourselves (wasn't sure if it was actual rule based sort of stuff) + a little of how we'll structure stuff a bit organisation/play wise.

Yeah I figured the 75 year advance would take 2 of us out (wasn't 100% on where a Half-Orc livespan was....though I'm sure any offspring could just be called Thokk aswell), though I'm pretty sure Robin didn't die of old age (gung-ho attitude/missing an eye/looking for mythical princess either took its toll Or Zhoron/Bruce took matters into their own hands haha)

Alright then I'll think of ideas & then we can start blending them into 1 tale.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Mar 6 2018, 01:05 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Mar 6 2018, 12:45 PM) *

Ok, so its just lore/fluff we have to work out amongst ourselves (wasn't sure if it was actual rule based sort of stuff) + a little of how we'll structure stuff a bit organisation/play wise.

Yeah I figured the 75 year advance would take 2 of us out (wasn't 100% on where a Half-Orc livespan was....though I'm sure any offspring could just be called Thokk aswell), though I'm pretty sure Robin didn't die of old age (gung-ho attitude/missing an eye/looking for mythical princess either took its toll Or Zhoron/Bruce took matters into their own hands haha)

Alright then I'll think of ideas & then we can start blending them into 1 tale.

Yeah, all lore and fluff. There's no rules, but it'll affect the world around you and will have possible plot implications.

Half-orcs rarely live past 75, ageing noticeably faster than other races. Tieflings live a little longer than humans, but nowhere near in the span of Elves.

If we're all going to be at the club on the 18th, we'll talk about it some more there and decide on the structure of the tower. Once that's done, and you've got some characters, I've already got a first quest in mind...

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Mar 6 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 11,678

Already started to paint my Gotrek model and in doing so I have realised how out of practice I am painted NONE MARINES! ohmy.gif

--------------------
God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started.
ó Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Mar 7 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #39

A few resources.

Basic rules - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
An incomplete set of rules. It's enough to play but there's plenty more spells, classes, and races in the PHB.

Character sheets - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets
PDFs of character sheets to fill in for playing games.

--------------------
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Mar 7 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(Saithis @ Mar 7 2018, 01:19 PM) *

A few resources.

Basic rules - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
An incomplete set of rules. It's enough to play but there's plenty more spells, classes, and races in the PHB.

Character sheets - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets
PDFs of character sheets to fill in for playing games.

Cool thanks for that (I meant to ask about online resources) I'll give it a looksee while I wait for my copy of Handbook to arrive.

If I end up going Tiefling Fighter I may use the Plastic GW Chaos Lord with the horns.

This post has been edited by 1stLegion: Mar 7 2018, 04:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 09:15 PM