6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dungeons and Dragons
Saithis
post Mar 12 2018, 06:55 AM
Post #41

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,031

If anyone is interested, check out Heroforge.

--------------------
Roll a 2D6 and compare to the table below.
2 - Emperor's Children / 3 - [roll again] / 4 - [roll again] / 5 - Tyranids
6 - Slaanesh Daemons / 7 - [roll again] / 8 - Asuryani
9 - Thousand Sons / 10 - Ynnari / 11 - [roll again] / 12 - Emperor's Children
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Mar 12 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 15,670

Hmmm Heroforge does look interesting...

Doing some searching I came across PrintableHeroes & Paperforge, might be handy for Monsters & NPC's.

--------------------
---- NSW Northern Knights ----

Dark Angels: Still Legion Building Since Day One

Deathwatch: Xenos Scum

X-Wing: Scum....mostly, but plenty of Rebel & Empire
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Mar 12 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #43

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Mar 12 2018, 09:36 AM) *

Hmmm Heroforge does look interesting...

Doing some searching I came across PrintableHeroes & Paperforge, might be handy for Monsters & NPC's.

I like those, I think I might use those to indeed to NPCs and monsters.

Heroforge is fantastic, I spent a good few hours on it last night creating figures for my main party.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Mar 14 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #44

Oh, something I need you to make a decision on: the black stone that was being used by the villain. Its indestructible, as far as you can tell, and is an object of immense power.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Apr 11 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #45

Hey guys,

How do we feel about having another D&D game on the 29th?

--------------------
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Apr 11 2018, 05:18 PM
Post #46

Yeah I'm down for it (if others are), haven't prepared anything....I got a book, then partially got confused hahaha unsure.gif then sort of figured it out blink.gif & haven't had a chance to sit down & really go over it again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Apr 11 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 11,678

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Apr 11 2018, 05:18 PM) *

Yeah I'm down for it (if others are), haven't prepared anything....I got a book, then partially got confused hahaha unsure.gif then sort of figured it out blink.gif & haven't had a chance to sit down & really go over it again.

Same for me, I have worked out what I want to use (race, class etc) just not 100% sure how to write it all up into a playable character.

This post has been edited by TheForlornHope: Apr 11 2018, 08:08 PM

--------------------
God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started.
Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Apr 11 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #48

That’s okay!

I’ve found the best way to learn character sheets is through playing with them. I’m happy to help you either build them on the day, or ask you a bunch of questions and build it before hand.

Out of curiosity, what have you guys decided?

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Apr 11 2018, 09:01 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(Saithis @ Apr 11 2018, 08:33 PM) *

That’s okay!

I’ve found the best way to learn character sheets is through playing with them. I’m happy to help you either build them on the day, or ask you a bunch of questions and build it before hand.

Out of curiosity, what have you guys decided?

Mountain Dwarf Barbarian (later to be a Battlerager), personality (?) background (clan crafter).
Just a little confused how all the skills, languages, gear (weight?) from the above fit together and which ones are useful.

Update: I downloaded the character sheet zip file and I have a lot of options, which one am I suppose to be using?

This post has been edited by TheForlornHope: Apr 11 2018, 09:14 PM

--------------------
Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Apr 11 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(TheForlornHope @ Apr 11 2018, 10:01 PM) *

Mountain Dwarf Barbarian (later to be a Battlerager), personality (?) background (clan crafter).
Just a little confused how all the skills, languages, gear (weight?) from the above fit together and which ones are useful.

Update: I downloaded the character sheet zip file and I have a lot of options, which one am I suppose to be using?

Alrighty.

So, don't worry about weight. I tend to not worry about encumbrance and there are ways to deal with it properly anyway.

Ability scores are easy to work out. We use a standard array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. You allocate the scores, and add your racial bonuses (for a mountain dwarf, +2 strength, +2 constitution). Subtract 10 and divide by 2 to get your modifier; round down. A dwarf might have STR 16, DEX 8, CON 17, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 13, giving modifiers of +3, -1, +3, +0, +1, +1.

When it comes to skills, I find it best to write the back story for your character first. Then you choose proficiencies that fit in with your character. This is something that I had to get a lot of help on, to get my head around what skills meant what, especially as a DM. A battlerager dwarf might have Intimidation and Athletics - one of them is used to intimidate people, and Athletics is used for such actions as smashing down doors, shoving boulders, pulling a cart - anything that requires a great physical strength. History and Insight as given by the Clan Crafter would be used for general knowledge about things historical, and insight is used for a variety of things, but particularly to determine a creature's motives, whether they are lying, etc. When you're proficient in something, add your proficiency bonus (+2 for a l1 character, though I am considering starting us at l3).

For languages, I suggest everyone have Common, Elvish and/or Dwarvish. Those are the three primary languages on the island; if you have a fourth, it might be Halfling (as there is a halfling tribe) or Sylvan (often spoken by fey creatures). Dwarves might also have Abyssal (as there are demons around the volcano).

Weapons are entirely up to you to decide what you want to use. With unarmoured defense you probably won't need a suit of armour, but Barbarians do well with two-handed or heavy weapons, or with a weapon in each hand. Think warhammer, battleaxe, morningstar, handaxes, pair of hammers, greatswords...

Personality is all up to you. The characteristics in the book are only suggested ones - it all comes down to you. For example, I have a monk in another game - his personality is that he remains calm even in the face of danger, but his confidence can sometimes border on arrogance. His ideal is self-belief: he believes that the power of self-belief is greater than any power of gods. His bond is his family: he left his brother and sister when he turned 18, and he is unable to reach his true potential until he makes amends. His flaws are that his confidence crosses the line and he becomes extremely arrogant; and his disdain for religion has gotten him into trouble more than once.

Use whichever character sheet makes the most sense to you, but I use the one that looks like this:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6b/ce/0f/6bc...b00a22bcc6d.jpg

Edit: that picture is too big to post in the thread.

Wall of text. Sorry about that.

This post has been edited by Saithis: Apr 11 2018, 09:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Apr 12 2018, 09:13 AM
Post #51

I know it is not very original, but the idea for my background is currently very rough.
Basically a disgraced clan crafter “engineer” who is seeking to redeem his honour by dieing an honourable death, let’s call him a “dwarf slayer”.

Note: I can’t be a battle rager until I hit level 3 and one of the reason I wanted armour proficany is because battle ragers can wear armour should I choose to do so.
My intimidation won’t be great (charisma based) but my athletics will be fine as it is Str based.

This post has been edited by TheForlornHope: Apr 12 2018, 09:19 AM

--------------------
Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Apr 12 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #52

Well I was originally going to go with Fighter (ease for 1st time/no magic), but thinking we might be a little on the uneven side if I go that direction (believe we have 2x Barbarians) so I might look into Paladin or Cleric....

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Apr 12 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Apr 12 2018, 12:53 PM) *

Well I was originally going to go with Fighter (ease for 1st time/no magic), but thinking we might be a little on the uneven side if I go that direction (believe we have 2x Barbarians) so I might look into Paladin or Cleric....

2nd Barbarian ?

--------------------
Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post
BIG
post Apr 12 2018, 02:08 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 14,152

Sorry to drop in on the conversation even though I am not involved in the game. But I thought I would put a couple of thoughts in.

The beauty of D&D (and especially in 5th edition) is that any combination can work. They have done a very nice job of balancing the whole thing. So I wouldn't worry about the group dynamic. Obviously a group of 4 fighter types will have to approach things a lot differently to a diverse group and healing resources are likely to be very precious.

I agree that it's best to learn D&D as you play as it has a LOT of information to try and absorb. But remember it's a shared storytelling game rather than an us against them sort of game.

I am currently running a 3 player (me as DM and two players) via text messaging. It is running surprisingly well and I am tempted to publish the conversation as a story on the forum as it's done purely in character (any mechanics questions are done in a different chat) and the players are a barbarian and a rogue so two very different approaches to how to play and it makes it very entertaining although the lack of healing potential really tempers the barbarians rages.

I am happy to try and help out remotely if it would help with advice or what not. But I am unlikely to get to the games club anytime soon. My so. Has had complications from the surgery and he has had another operation this morning.

--------------------
Check out my Crazy Army plan here
Check out the Fluff for my Crazy Army plan here
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Apr 12 2018, 02:26 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(TheForlornHope @ Apr 12 2018, 01:51 PM) *

2nd Barbarian ?

I may be wrong...., wasn't sure if the Half-Orc Barbarian (Future Mrs Saithis) was continuing in 'descendant' form.

QUOTE(BIG @ Apr 12 2018, 02:08 PM) *

Sorry to drop in on the conversation even though I am not involved in the game. But I thought I would put a couple of thoughts in.

BIG you're always welcome to drop in on the conversation armata_PDT_34.gif Txt D&D that's unique

Yeah it wasn't so much we couldn't all be fighter style, I just felt it would limit options, feel more like we had to bash through everything.(not that that's always a problem armata_PDT_36.gif ) But it'd just feel like wargames.

Your input is always appreciated, best wishes to your son & all the best to you/wife also.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Apr 14 2018, 06:26 AM
Post #56

I’ll make a longer post when I’m not on mobile and have a chance to read everyone’s posts properly but I just saw this posted on Twitter - a step-by-step guide to Character Creation

https://www.nerdolopedia.com/articles/2018/...racter-creation

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Apr 12 2018, 03:26 PM) *

I may be wrong...., wasn't sure if the Half-Orc Barbarian (Future Mrs Saithis) was continuing in 'descendant' form.

I will make a comment on this: at this stage, she is leaning towards a Wild Magic sorcerer, for the pure randomness of the Wild Magic table.

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Apr 12 2018, 03:26 PM) *

I will make a comment on this: at this stage, she is leaning towards a Wild Magic sorcerer, for the pure randomness of the Wild Magic table.

--------------------
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Apr 18 2018, 05:00 PM
Post #57

Ok, so I think my Tiefling is going to go with Paladin after having another read I think it sort of suited the backstory I had a little better than fighter anyway (will just be more to get my head around)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Apr 20 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #58

So we have a dwarf battlerager barbarian, a tiefling paladin of ? Oath, and Sami will be a halfling wild magic sorcerer. Should a day roll around where I’m a character, I’ll be using a half elf bard of the college of valor.

Something I’d like everyone’s opinion on: how would you feel starting at level 3? That way everyone has their path and some kind of class features.

--------------------
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Apr 20 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #59

In terms of oath I hadn't fully decided, the backstory I'd been creating sort of falls a little of both... Devotion & Vengeance, I think? (without the book in front of me for names) So wasn't totally sure just yet. Also hadn't figured which background I'd go yet either as I sort of fall between a couple so trying to figure which best fits.

I'm not fussed if we start at lvl1 or lvl3, I'm easy if others have a preference I'm good either way (I've still to figure out magic & re-read all that part to figure what I'm doing now with Paladin), at some stage once we get going a bit & gain some knowledge I'd happily DM & swap in/out.

Other questions - again going off top of head without books so might not be all:
1. $, do we start with any? or is it only if we don't take class gear & are we using cost of living etc.
2. I've forgotten.... blink.gif ............

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saithis
post Apr 20 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(1stLegion @ Apr 20 2018, 06:14 PM) *

1. $, do we start with any? or is it only if we don't take class gear & are we using cost of living etc.

We'll start everyone with around 10 GP. This might change depending on your background and story, but level 3 members of the tower implies you have undergone some basic training and are members of the tower earning a hero's wage.

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 11:58 PM