Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wintercon photos & upcoming 40k tourney in the area
Fobbah
post Jul 23 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,731

Hey all, just got back from a weekend of 40k in canberra at wintercon. It was quite the event, a lot of familiar friendly faces, great painted armies, awesome retailers and all around great fun.

IMPORTANT:

I'd like to mention that i was chatting to one of the TOs after the event, who also ran the gamestraders 40k league. He is interested in running a 1 day 40k tournament in the hornsby area very soon, and I mentioned that the club may be an ideal venue. He's got strong networks in the community and may be able to pull some real numbers (and has organised several small tourneys in this area already).

I'd ask that club organisers, please get in touch with me via PM ASAP so we can discuss details and i can put you in touch with each other, as he is keen to get started organising, and if we are able to host, i think this is a great opportunity to promote the club.

Now on to the fun stuff - Tourney recap and pictures:

Much tougher field this time around compared to cancon, the smaller event tends to attract a more veteran crowd, and as far as I can tell, people have really lifted their game in the last 6 months. I brought my toughest ultramarine dreadnought list, managing to place tied 34th out of 89, running 3W 2L. It was every bit the glass cannon i thought it would be, able to table most armies in 2-3 turns, however, with a glaring weakness - it lacks resilience.

My Army:
6 rifleman dreadnoughts, a techmarine, tigurius, 4 scout squads, guilliman, and the big bad mofo, a leviathan with twin storm cannon arrays:
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Game 1 - WIN - Eldar & dark eldar: Played the objectives much better than my opponent early in the game, and managed to deal huge amounts of damage with the leviathan. Killed 2 raiders, 2 units of scourges and a talos on turn one, and killed a raider on overwatch with the leviathan in his first turn (should have seen the look on his face after that, haha). After that, his remaining two talos did some heavy damage, but i was able to fall back and clean up. Meanwhile, my scouts were scoring all over the board. Easy victory at 19-9 (we only got through 3 turns)

IPB Image IPB Image

Game 2 - LOSS - Knights & Deathwatch: A shiny new castellan knight, two armiger hellverins, mortars & deep striking deathwatch. My opponent picked an armiger hellverin as his warlord, and i was able to snipe it on turn 1, and also destroy a deathwatch kill team. Some unlucky rolls meant that i was unable to do much further damage to his other hellverin which would do a lot of work throughout the rest of the game.

On his first turn, he deep struck two deathwatch kill teams fairly close to my army. It was at this point that i discovered the truly scary firepower of special issue ammunition, and he was able to pick up two dreadnoughts. The castellan opened up on the leviathan, and was able to one-shot it with his salvo. A bloody first turn, and some truly unreal firepower armata_PDT_05.gif .

I was able to clean up the kill teams, but at this point i was down to 3 dreadnoughts and the two remaining knights managed to wipe the rest of my army. Hellverins are amazing units, their key advantage being their amazing speed, allowing them to not only do great damage with their powerful shooting, but also contest the board. The castellan is an absolute BEAST, with incredible amounts of shooting, it is a true force to be reckoned with. Everyone i spoke to faced a lot of knights during the tourney, and the consensus was unanimous - they will be everywhere, they are strong, and you need a plan to deal with them.

A close loss at 14-23
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Game 3 - WIN - Ultramarines (primaris):
Extremely poor match-up for my opponent. With 1W 1L each, I don't think we had really settled into appropriate brackets yet, as I think i had been facing much tougher opponents so far. Doubly so due to the fact that basically every weapon in my army deals 2 damage, which is a very strong counter to primaris marines with 2 wounds. I deployed most of my dreadnoughts far out of range of his army, and siezed and took turn 1. My opening salvo managed to pick up 3 hellblaster squads, and almost completely destroyed another three squads of intercessors. Absolutely brutal, picking up about 800 points in kills on my first turn. On turn 2, i killed the remaining troops, leaving just a handful of characters. His guilliman was able to close in and fight my leviathan, but was unable to seal the deal, and it fell back, leaving him open to another salvo of autocannon fire. Tabled him on turn 3 without losing a single dreadnought. A dominating victory at 33-7. Rough draw for him!
IPB Image IPB Image

Game 4 - WIN - Space Wolves:
This was by far the closest game i played in the tournament, and the most fun. He was running a stormwolf, some wulfen, a leviathan, two teams of longfangs with plasma cannons / lascannons, logan grimnar (on foot) and njal stormcaller. I felt i had the stronger list, but the board had a tremendous amount of line of sight blocking, so he was able to control what i was able to shoot at, even managing to hide his stormwolf on turn 1!

I immediately took out a team of longfangs on turn 1 (nothing else was in LOS!). He deep struck his wulfen, but failed the 9" charge. On my turn 2, I managed to take out the remaining longfangs & the stormwolf down to 2 wounds. My leviathan let rip on the wulfen, landing 14 wounds, but he managed to roll 14 3++ saves in a row! Ouch! armata_PDT_08.gif

His wulfen closed to combat and picked up a few dreadnoughts, and even nearly managed to knock guilliman down, but ultimately couldn't seal the deal, and all fell to retaliatory autocannon fire in the next turn. armata_PDT_36.gif

His leviathan paired with logan gimnar & njal + a lieutenant proved to be a potent combo, rerolling hits + would rolls of 1, while being granted the benefit of cover by a pyschic power, taking its natural save down to 1+ - nasty! This guy was tough to take out, but managed to kill it on turn 5 despite its rolling 2+ saves.

He chose secondaries very well, and was ahead on points for most of the game, but i was able to pick up some big points on turns 5 & 6 by killing his characters, scoring on more kill points, & scoring on recon as he had nothing left to contain me. A close victory at 24-16.

IPB Image IPB Image

Game 5 - LOSS - Eldar / Dark Eldar:
With 3 W / 1L, i was now drawing against the tougher end of the pack, being in the top 25%. My opponent took the most beautiful army I've ever seen on the table, a formidable force of eldar + dark eldar. I successfully won the roll off, but elected to go second, as all of his units on the board were infantry hiding in bottom floor ruins and his heavy hitters were hiding in deep strike, so i had nothing to shoot. Turn 1 for me was uneventful, with a few scouts moving into position to better hold objectives and get out of LOS. His first turn was brutal, with two units of scourges with blasters, three raiders, and three jetfighters dropping in, and alpha striking my leviathan + picking up another dreadnought, leaving me with a bloody nose.

My turn 2 retaliation was strong, killing the three raiders and taking out a handful of scourges, but he dropped in yet more scourges with blasters, and managed to pick up another two dreadnought kills. At this point, with only three dreadnoughts left and a handful of scouts, things were looking pretty grim. Knowing that i'd have no way of dealing with the jetfighters, i grit my teeth and continued to try to score as many objectives as i could. My remaining force was whittled down, leaving me with only guilliman, the techmarine and tigurius on turn 5. I charged up the board, killing a few more units and picking up a few extra points, and he was knocked down during shooting (but managed to stand back up). Ultimately, the jetfighters were able to kill guilliman and the remaining techmarine to table me on turn 6. Make no mistake - eldar / dark eldar are strong, and i saw a lot of them in the field out there. A crushing defeat at 32-16

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Other random pics & cool stuff:
IPB Image IPB ImageIPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

This post has been edited by Fobbah: Jul 23 2018, 02:38 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1stLegion
post Jul 23 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 15,670

PM'd

--------------------
---- NSW Northern Knights ----

Dark Angels: Still Legion Building Since Day One

Deathwatch: Xenos Scum

X-Wing: Scum....mostly, but plenty of Rebel & Empire
+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Jul 23 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,678

I will send Wayne a Pvt message about the tournament ASAP.

Update: Never mind Paul has beat me too it.

This post has been edited by TheForlornHope: Jul 23 2018, 03:32 PM

--------------------
God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started.
— Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post
Fobbah
post Jul 23 2018, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,731

He's also probably going to come to the club meet next weekend, so we can chat in person armata_PDT_34.gif
+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Jul 23 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #5

Oh and congrats on your placing and thanks suggesting the club for the tournament.

--------------------
— Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post
Chaoz
post Jul 23 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,854

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Well done for the wins, the army looks really good too!

Dark Eldar seems like a tempting army at the moment, I love the aesthetic and they seem strong unlike some previous editions..

--------------------

Owen
Chaos Daemons; Slaanesh and Nurgle
Chaos; Black Legion and Alpha Legion
Dedicated 40k Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/chaos40k/
Club: NSW Northern Knights
+Quote Post
TheForlornHope
post Jul 24 2018, 08:00 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Chaoz @ Jul 23 2018, 07:57 PM) *

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Well done for the wins, the army looks really good too!

Dark Eldar seems like a tempting army at the moment, I love the aesthetic and they seem strong unlike some previous editions..

I did toy with the idea on a Dark Eldar (or whatever they are now called) army myself, but the model count can be high and I really need to finish my Wolves first.

Andrew

--------------------
— Bjorn the Fell-Handed
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 05:57 PM