Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adding bases to tanks, Would you allow it?
Asuryan27
post Aug 25 2017, 11:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,662

So, I'm almost finished converting and painting a Nurgle Rhino for my Death Guard army. I've spent ages on it. The only thing that bothers me is that every time I pick it up I have to touch part of the model, because tanks don't have bases. So I've been thinking about putting it on a base. Apart from giving me a less fragile point to hold onto, it would also let me model some more cool stuff onto the base.

Would you allow someone to use a Rhino tank with a base added on to it? The reason I'm worried about it is that it might be seen as modelling for advantage. Distances should be measured from the hull if there's no base, but I could make a base from plasticard or something and cut it to exactly the same size/shape as the Rhino, so that solves the distances problem. However, it would also make the model a teensy bit taller.

The height difference might seem like splitting hairs, but one of the most effective strategies for Rhinos seems to be using them to screen your army by blocking the enemy's line of sight. Park a rolling wall in front of your important units, so that they can't shoot them until they blow up the Rhino first. So having the Rhino even just a little bit taller could be a problem.

Would that bother you? In casual (but still Matched) play? In tournaments?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Aug 26 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #2

Authority Bared

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,901

No one will care. An extra few mm of height won't block anything that wasn't already getting blocked. There's even a bunch of GW showcase stuff with bases.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
fofjunior
post Aug 26 2017, 06:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,506

I couldn't care less playwise, the rule of cool always wins for me.

--------------------
Quote of wisdom - Semper Fidelis

40K goals for 2017 - play socially more often, complete armies on parade project with son.

Life goals - Lose 15kgs, improve health, spend more quality time with my wife, children and grandchildren. Catch up with friends.
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Aug 26 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 446

just keep it reasonably tight (+2 to 4mm) over the hull max and not one should kick up a stink.

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Asuryan27
post Aug 28 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #5

Cool, thanks for the advice!

Next I need to find suitable materials to build the base from. I don't think any of the regular GW bases would be the right shape/size for a Rhino. I'll probably try cutting down a sheet of plastic.
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 28 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Combat Simian

Member No.: 12,758

MDF mate its very common for 10,15 or 20mm scale games.

But also for people who play Bolt Action for example and feel vehicles look better if based to match an army or are used to single piece cast tanks that come attached to a large cast base.

We have multiple people who frequent the forums with laser cutters who can cut anything to size or just score and cut it yourself sheets are easily found at bunnings and your normal enamel primers work on MDF.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Aug 28 2017, 07:48 PM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
Asuryan27
post Aug 28 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but... What's MDF?
+Quote Post
morsla
post Aug 28 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #8

Paintmaster Mod

Member No.: 3

Not a dumb question smile.gif It's Medium Density Fibreboard - basically, sheets of sawdust and glue... hardware stores sell it in sheets of various thicknesses, and it's very easy to cut and sand as it has no grain.

3mm MDF is a good option for bases, as it's pretty close to the thickness of GW's plastic model bases.

--------------------
[www.morsla.net] [WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Aug 29 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #9

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(morsla @ Aug 28 2017, 10:08 PM) *

Not a dumb question smile.gif It's Medium Density Fibreboard - basically, sheets of sawdust and glue... hardware stores sell it in sheets of various thicknesses, and it's very easy to cut and sand as it has no grain.

3mm MDF is a good option for bases, as it's pretty close to the thickness of GW's plastic model bases.

It can warp for larger bases, especially if you add PVA to one side to add texture etc to it. 3mm plywood might be a better option.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post
Asuryan27
post Aug 29 2017, 03:16 PM
Post #10

Okay, thank you both for the suggestions.

I was actually thinking about ~3mm thick plastic. That shouldn't warp, and it should last forever. Wouldn't even plywood get weak eventually, as it absorbs moisture from the air?

I don't suppose you know if or where I could find plastic like that? I suppose Bunnings would be a good place to start.
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Aug 29 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #11

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(Asuryan27 @ Aug 29 2017, 03:16 PM) *

I was actually thinking about ~3mm thick plastic. That shouldn't warp, and it should last forever. Wouldn't even plywood get weak eventually, as it absorbs moisture from the air?

I don't suppose you know if or where I could find plastic like that? I suppose Bunnings would be a good place to start.

Plywood is less prone to warping because of how it is layered, but yes, it could potentially warp a bit too.

Plastic works. You can laser cut acrylic easily enough, or cut your own out of a softer plastic. Downside is that acrylic is somewhat more expensive than the MDF or plywood options. Other plastics probably aren't too bad price wise if you just want to cut your own out.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 29 2017, 11:48 PM
Post #12

Combat Simian

Member No.: 12,758

QUOTE(Asuryan27 @ Aug 28 2017, 08:28 PM) *

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but... What's MDF?

My apologies I made a silly assumption that MDF is in the day to day lexicon of hobbyist now.

QUOTE(Asuryan27 @ Aug 29 2017, 03:16 PM) *

MDF warping is highly unlike on the size of bases your talking about. I have huge amounts of it around my place for terrain and bases and the only warping I have ever had is terrain I didn't paint that wasn't sealed fully with primer and was actually stored in a basement that got flooded.

Here for example are my recent bases and movement trays.

IPB Image

But moving right along one of the areas you can often find plastic like what you might want is actually signage things like your beware dog signs etc. 3mm thick is a bit harder you will probably find you end up with acrylic and again as mentioned getting one of out laser cutters to do it for you is much easier at that point.

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
Asuryan27
post Nov 10 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #13

Apologies for the bump, but I’ve finally finished my based tank: Death Guard Rhino

Let me know what you think. smile.gif
+Quote Post
morsla
post Nov 10 2017, 12:38 PM
Post #14

Paintmaster Mod

Member No.: 3

Nice work! That crackle effect on the Rhino armour is excellent - particularly on the sides of the vehicle. Great idea smile.gif

--------------------
[www.morsla.net] [WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
Waaagh!!!
post Nov 10 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,748

Please don't take offense, but I find it funny that someone who can paint like that (the nurgle rhino) didn't know what MDF is.

That tank is beautiful, in a very Nurgle-y way. Brilliant work.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 07:14 AM