Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Thoughts on AoS, After my first few games.
Da Smas
post Mar 28 2017, 06:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,998

Hey guys,

So with matched play now the main way I've seen AoS played ( say in stores) my mates and I have decided to give it a whirl. Background were old time fantasy and and 40k players who were very much on the hate bangwagon when it got released.

So far the game has been allot of fun. Now it's no Whfb in terms of its tactical depth sure but that doesn't mean it's bad either. I've had quite a blast the half a dozen or so games I've played. It's taking some time to adjust to some of the rules but otherwise the points seek relatively well balanced ( with the exception I think of one faction which ARE getting a pts drop ).

So I do reccomend trying it as long as you go in knowing that it's a fundamentally different game to Whfb.

--------------------
Tip 5: Move your dead of the table quickly, if your someone who carefully packs each model, Infantry Guard is not for you. You must care as much for your model as an Commissar does for men's lives. By Dieing they have failed you and should be removed form your sight as quickly as possible.

QUOTE(Dice Array @ Dec 8 2013, 05:07 PM) *

you would ten mice should table lengthwise?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mkragh
post Mar 28 2017, 07:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,853

Good to hear that you are enjoying it. The tactical aspect of manoeuvring from 8th has changed for sure, I think it still very much matters where you place your units just not how you do so.

Generally I think most gamers would enjoy the new Warhammer, it is more that for some people it was too much of a change.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter for gaming chatter: mikragh

My gaming and painting blog: Games Theatre
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Mar 28 2017, 07:52 AM
Post #3

On Parole

Member No.: 5,217

QUOTE(mkragh @ Mar 28 2017, 07:10 AM) *

Generally I think most gamers would enjoy the new Warhammer, it is more that for some people it was too much of a change.

This.

Too much change. Those heavily invested in WHFB want that in a game. Too much time and effort to move to another system.

It's a shame there's division. The day AFL and NRL end, we will be unstoppable in Rugby Union. The same thing goes for 9th age (but everyone wants their system to win). I reckon there's a critical mass. We have enough gamers - but split across too many systems. Wish we could get it together again because the days of 100 player tournaments were sweet!

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
kthx
post Mar 28 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,984

QUOTE(Jimbo81 @ Mar 28 2017, 08:52 AM) *

Too much change. Those heavily invested in WHFB want that in a game. Too much time and effort to move to another system.

Well, if you want ranks and flanks, AOS is never going to be your system. It is nonetheless a good game; but it definitely won't be for everyone who enjoyed what WHFB was.

As far as moving to another system goes, well, I guess that's happened for everyone who was invested in WHFB, no? I know there's a few people who still play 8th, but for almost everyone else, they've had to move to something new and different.
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Mar 28 2017, 09:00 AM
Post #5

On Parole

QUOTE(kthx @ Mar 28 2017, 08:31 AM) *

Well, if you want ranks and flanks, AOS is never going to be your system. It is nonetheless a good game; but it definitely won't be for everyone who enjoyed what WHFB was.

As far as moving to another system goes, well, I guess that's happened for everyone who was invested in WHFB, no? I know there's a few people who still play 8th, but for almost everyone else, they've had to move to something new and different.

9th age is business as usual - just a more balanced WHFB. Everything is toned down - not rocket hammer that was the end of 8th where one spell won you the game or one cannon shot - 10" from the back of your base mate = take the model off.

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
Da Smas
post Mar 28 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,998

We still play 8th ed and aos. They are just different games.

I also think aos would have been waaaay more popular of the bat if pts were in from the start ...

This post has been edited by Da Smas: Mar 28 2017, 09:08 AM

--------------------
Tip 5: Move your dead of the table quickly, if your someone who carefully packs each model, Infantry Guard is not for you. You must care as much for your model as an Commissar does for men's lives. By Dieing they have failed you and should be removed form your sight as quickly as possible.

QUOTE(Dice Array @ Dec 8 2013, 05:07 PM) *

you would ten mice should table lengthwise?

+Quote Post
mkragh
post Mar 28 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,853

For me there are really only two things that matters; are the models any good and is the game fun to play.

Which leads back to Mr Smas's point, the AoS is really fun so it is worth playing even if the rules are different.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter for gaming chatter: mikragh

My gaming and painting blog: Games Theatre
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Mar 28 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #8

On Parole

can't shelf 5 armies @ 5k+ points though. It's never going to happen.

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
rat of vengence
post Mar 28 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 362

For me it was a good opportunity to bail on the ridiculous prices GW is charging. I loved 8th ed, and really enjoyed the tournament scene. I have nothing against AoS, but it doesn't have the depth 8th did, basically it just doesn't grab me enough to bother getting right into it.

I'll probably have a go at KoW soon, but I'm enjoying X-Wing and Bushido right now, and have a Bolt Action force that needs painting smile.gif

RoV

RoV

--------------------
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Twin-linked gives you the ability to miss twice with a single shot weapon.

My Orcstralian Army blog, at the best O&G site; http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_War...showtopic=23521

My children, also known as Destroyers of Hobby
+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Mar 28 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #10

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,113

Initially the newer releases, such as the Stormcast Eternals ad Khorne Bloodbound seem vastly more powerful then the old WFB armies, but after playing quite a few games I spent the night studying the order book and legacy scrolls and there are some really interesting combos that I want to try out!

Ungrim Ironfist + a horde of slayers.
Wood elf bladesinger and forest dragon for 28 inch move dragon

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
+Quote Post
Orange-Bell
post Mar 28 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #11

Space Coyote

Member No.: 920

I'm enjoying the game more for the modelling than anything else.

Fantasy models look great on round bases, and spread out so you can see the effort that has been put into each individual guy. I've been digging up (and seeking out second hand) the old models and I'm having a lot of fun painting the old metal models. My 1994 Prince Imrik just arrived and he's my next project!

Power creep is already a bit of a thing, but it's not so bad if you just stick with the Grand Alliances rather than delving into the battle tomes.
+Quote Post
Æon
post Mar 28 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #12

Edition Change Skeptic

Member No.: 222

I've been playing alot of AoS recently (Stormcast initially; now branching out into Dwarves.

It is suprisengly a tactical game that is alot of fun. It does encourage combos and the objective rather than just beating up the opponent as even if you table your opponent; if your opponent has more objective points than you, then you will lose.

The missions are interesting and the game is quite dynamic. Many times Ive seen a person turn the game around as they got a double turn.

Magic is toned down considerably (although Tzeentch still does dominate which is appropiate.)

The flexibility of army construction can lead to some quite diverse, but fully themed armies (although that has drawbacks in the case of Skaven/Chaos team ups.) However as new books come out; there will be greater incentive to keep to a 'pure' army.

The Legacy scrolls I like as you can still play with the Warhammer Fantasy units and Characters of yesteryear going up against (or teaming up with) the new stuff.

It also just seems alot more free flowing in relation to 8th ed and 40K (to the point; Id actually be enthused for 40K to take on some AoS elements.)

--------------------

"Hail ĆON - Slayer of the Scrubs"

Full Disclosure - Yes, I really am a scrub :)

WHFB 8.5 Community FaceBook Group

40K Chapter Unapproved FaceBook Group
+Quote Post
Pete Dunn
post Mar 28 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #13

Evil? I Call It Motivated!

Member No.: 647

QUOTE(Jimbo81 @ Mar 28 2017, 10:52 AM) *

It's a shame there's division. The day AFL and NRL end, we will be unstoppable in Rugby Union.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Mar 28 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #14

On Parole

QUOTE(Pete Dunn @ Mar 28 2017, 01:18 PM) *

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You know it's true.

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2019 - 05:48 AM